The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMA: Sold Everything - Moved to Bali

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham
I'm back in the US! Finally!

The last few weeks were crazy.
Having overstayed my visa (for a criminally LONG time) I had a run-in with immigration.

Detained, interrogated, investigated, and deported.
Can't say I'm proud of the experience, but I can say that I'm happy to finally be surrounded by familiarity!
@DennisDuty What are the key skills that you used online to create an income & how long have you been in the web development industry? Wordpress sites? CSS? HTML? E-commerce sites? Blogs? basically what skills have you mastered and what did you use the most?

Glad you got back to the USA in the end safely and congratulations if the little one has been born now, if not I wish you and your partner a healthy birth!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
LOVE Bali!

One question though - how are the Internet speeds?
I lived in Munggu/Canggu on/off for a few years as well, fave spot in the world. We had indihome hooked up at our villa for about 60 USD a month which was about 25mbs and pretty reliable. Always fast enough for what I needed.
If you are relying on a villa or hotel already with a connection... best be getting to a coworking space lol. Shockingly bad a big chunk of the time.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I lived in Munggu/Canggu on/off for a few years as well, fave spot in the world. We had indihome hooked up at our villa for about 60 USD a month which was about 25mbs and pretty reliable. Always fast enough for what I needed.
If you are relying on a villa or hotel already with a connection... best be getting to a coworking space lol. Shockingly bad a big chunk of the time.

That's why I'm in Singapore. I can't let go of that 1GB fiber connection which is cheaper than my 25MB connection in the UK was. Unreal.

mdivljina

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2019
Croatia
When Cortez conquered Mexico, he wasn't playing around.

He ordered his troops to BURN THEIR SHIPS.
No backup plan, no solution, no excuses, no scapegoats.
Failure was not an option.
Defeat the enemy, or literally die trying.

Earlier this year, my pregnant wife and I sold everything we owned.
We moved to Bali, Indonesia.
  • No funds.
  • No credit.
  • No backup plan.
  • No home to return to.
When we arrived, we only had a laptop, $100, and 2 days at a hotel.

Over the next 4 months we encountered... a lot.
  • Struck creative deals to attain free accommodation.
  • Discovered creative processes that allow me to semi-automate my freelance work.
  • Witnessed barefoot children playing with rocks, while hipster tourists drank lattes and watched.
  • Saved a dog from being eaten.
  • Met people whose creative ventures has them travelling the world for free.
  • Was robbed by a monkey
  • Raised my earning potential by $100/hr.
  • Made important (and sometimes frighting) discoveries about the nature of humanity.
  • Changed my political beliefs.
  • Sosososo much more.
Now we're heading back to the US to deliver the baby and plan out phase 2 of our Fastlane Journey.

AMA means "Ask me anything".
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Specifics of cost of living?
Mindset?
Cultural differences?
Logistics?

What do you want to know?

Great post, love reading these AMAs, especially when there's some real action, real experience and real people. They should make a movie out of it haha.

My question is, what's next for you three?
Also, how did you get clients in the US while working out of Bali? Right now that's been my biggest problem since I'm from Croatia and just haven't thought of a way to build credibility with people who've never met me in person up to this moment.

Cheers!

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
That's why I'm in Singapore. I can't let go of that 1GB fiber connection which is cheaper than my 25MB connection in the UK was. Unreal.
Maybe so, but I couldn't believe how much cash I went through in Singapore! plus plus lol

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Maybe so, but I couldn't believe how much cash I went through in Singapore! plus plus lol

I love it here though. After living in London, I don't think its that much more expensive.

Food is cheap, transport is DIRT cheap and so is my 1GB fiber (baby girl!).

I talk to expats from the UK, Israel, NYC and they tell me the same - Singapore isn't the most expensive city by a long stretch. I've never paid $11 for a latte here!

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I love it here though. After living in London, I don't think its that much more expensive.

Food is cheap, transport is DIRT cheap and so is my 1GB fiber (baby girl!).

I talk to expats from the UK, Israel, NYC and they tell me the same - Singapore isn't the most expensive city by a long stretch. I've never paid $11 for a latte here!
Fair enough, I think I've just spent too much time slumming it in other parts of Asia lol. As a city, Singapore impressed me though. It's like an oasis in the middle of the sth east asia madness.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.