The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMA on Training and Nutrition - Sport and Exercise Science Grad with 5+ Years coaching experience

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
I want to hopefully help you guys out with my knowledge and experience

Bsc Sport and Exercise Science
Qualified personal trainer (UK Level 3) and strength and conditioning coach (UKSCA)
Represented GB in American Football

Hit me up with any Training, Nutrition or psychology questions

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks!

On building muscles by weightlifting...

I've seen many guys, even professional lifters, who do so-called 'tried and tested' strategies, but ended up hurting themselves long-term.

I've taken a look at some of the reps, and tried a few of them, and they didn't feel like they would benefit my body.

How should we go about weight-lifting in a more sustainable and safe manner?

Boris507

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 11, 2017
Montreal
Hello good sir thank you for taking this time to answer our question, i have 2 questions

1.I have been trying to lose weight for years with minimal result 10-20 minute warm up cardio and weightlifting session usually 2 muscles so I added 6 hours of cardio per week through boxing muay thai and jiujitjiu what are the risk of overtraining and if there was a more effective workout to lose weight?

2. If i have one leg shorter then the other do you recommended single legged squats instead of the regular squats same for deadlifts ? Thanks

Agent X

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 20, 2019
Utah
Thanks!

I've seen many guys, even professional lifters, who do so-called 'tried and tested' strategies, but ended up hurting themselves long-term.

I've taken a look at some of the reps, and tried a few of them, and they didn't feel like they would benefit my body.

I'm with ZF Lee wondering about longevity. It seems that injury can be a major issue for staying physically fit. For weight lifting, are there any popular lifts that should just be generally avoided because of injury risk? Should mobility training be included with regular weight training to reduce injury risk?

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks!

Thanks for the question.

A few things:

1. Make sure you are using as close to perfect form as possible for you and your biomechanics (everyone is slightly different due to active range of motion etc but good form is pretty universal). If you want feedback on anything would need videos etc. If you're lifting/moving inefficiently your bodies going to break down overtime.

2. In addition to 1. make sure you're not lifting too heavy (more common for guys) and don't train to failure all the time, practice leaving 1-2 reps in the tank

3. Take a deload every 4-6 weeks, the same program for 1 week with half the of the volume and a slight reduction in weight used.

4. Recovery! Sleep well, eat well and manage stress

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
Hello good sir thank you for taking this time to answer our question, i have 2 questions

1.I have been trying to lose weight for years with minimal result 10-20 minute warm up cardio and weightlifting session usually 2 muscles so I added 6 hours of cardio per week through boxing muay thai and jiujitjiu what are the risk of overtraining and if there was a more effective workout to lose weight?

2. If i have one leg shorter then the other do you recommended single legged squats instead of the regular squats same for deadlifts ? Thanks

1. Nutrition is most important here. Track your calories and make sure you're in a calorie deficit
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
- If you have time watch this video series from 1-6 and it will give you near everything you need to get your nutrition and lifestyle on track

2. I have a similar issue, I do a lot of single leg work. Also trap bar deadlifts are just a nicer and easier movement to execute than squats and deads with a barbell. Of course depends on the severity of the issue but I would just replace squats with split squat variations and deadlifts with either rack pulls or trap bar deadlifts

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
I'm with ZF Lee wondering about longevity. It seems that injury can be a major issue for staying physically fit. For weight lifting, are there any popular lifts that should just be generally avoided because of injury risk? Should mobility training be included with regular weight training to reduce injury risk?

I've had a ton of injuries! The positive I can take away from it is the experience and knowledge of rehab and prevention strategies gleamed from it all.

Yoga is awesome for mobility and stress management (2 birds 1 stone). It can be a great way to meet girls as well haha

So yes definitely include mobility work (yoga, dynamic warm ups and easy cardio) and Soft tissue work (Lax ball, massage etc) where you can. For example yoga 2x per week (After lifting or off days, never before... you'll be too relaxed to generate sufficient intensity)

As far as what to avoid, there is no real reason to do a 1RM barbell deadlift unless you're a powerlifter competing, way too much risk/reward ratio. That goes for any 1RM to be honest, just build strength and watch the weights you use rise over time.

Whatever you're doing make sure you're as close to perfect form as possible and that you're in control of the weight the entire time. Manage your recovery and take care of yourself as best you can.

Blub

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 2, 2018
germany
hey

i recently had the idea to jog for 45 min and then do 15 min hit training (running).

Does this combination make sense? Or should I jog one day and do hit training the other day?

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
hey

i recently had the idea to jog for 45 min and then do 15 min hit training (running).

Does this combination make sense? Or should I jog one day and do hit training the other day?

Need more info on this. What is your goal? How does your training week look?

As a general rule do Hitt first then the jog after. However it's probably best to do them on separate days again depending on your answer to the above

Agent X

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 20, 2019
Utah
I've had a ton of injuries! The positive I can take away from it is the experience and knowledge of rehab and prevention strategies gleamed from it all.

Yoga is awesome for mobility and stress management (2 birds 1 stone). It can be a great way to meet girls as well haha

So yes definitely include mobility work (yoga, dynamic warm ups and easy cardio) and Soft tissue work (Lax ball, massage etc) where you can. For example yoga 2x per week (After lifting or off days, never before... you'll be too relaxed to generate sufficient intensity)

As far as what to avoid, there is no real reason to do a 1RM barbell deadlift unless you're a powerlifter competing, way too much risk/reward ratio. That goes for any 1RM to be honest, just build strength and watch the weights you use rise over time.

Whatever you're doing make sure you're as close to perfect form as possible and that you're in control of the weight the entire time. Manage your recovery and take care of yourself as best you can.

Thanks! I've been meaning to do yoga more often. I haven't at all since I've started my most recent training regimen since it is more intense and more time consuming than what I was doing previously. I'll do some yoga work on my rest days (2x per week).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.