The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Always get multiple bids....

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
The reason you should always get multiple bids for any project or work you are having done... This is not a joke at all -- Check out these bids I got today for some work on my latest flip house:

Stucco front bricks on house:
Contractor #1: $5750
Contractor #2: $805

Install bath tub in bath room:
Plummer #1: $841 (And wanted to do some other things he thought were necessary which would raise the price to $1850)
Plummer #2: $180

I like to make money like the next guy, but do these guys thing I am a rank amateur here? ROFL...

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Most of the subs are hurting so you can beat them up pretty good. Just don't beat them up so good that you get crap work.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Most of the subs are hurting so you can beat them up pretty good. Just don't beat them up so good that you get crap work.

I can hire a crack head for $8 an hour to do just about anything, but you get what you pay for.

Yeh, crack heads are where I draw the line. Why would I use a crackhead for $8 an hour when I can get a perfectly good drunk for $10 an hour that shows up on time and is actually able to function between the hours of 8am-5pm? :)

:groove:

- Hakrjak

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I know you guys probably have way more experience hiring contractors than me (I've done it only for five years) but I restrain myself of talking about the people that work for me in that way. I may be overpaying, but I don't deal with that type of situations you are implying/describing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
hehe -- Just seems like an innevitable in this business. After working with tradesman for close to 10 yrs now, and being around that business a lot while a kid -- it seems like 90% of painters are alcoholics, maybe 80% of drywall guys, and 70% of roofers... haha ;) Hey I'm not their Mommy, if they can show up and work their asses off between 8am-5pm, I don't care that they head straight to the bar at quitting time, to each their own.

- Hakrjak

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, most are boozers or on drugs of some sort, or just crazy. The construction industry is full of interesting people, thats for sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.