The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

After Spending Four Years to Become an Aerospace Engineer - I'm Leaving

Share your FTE moment...

jschoob27

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 21, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I am new the forums and relatively new to the Fastlane mindset and I thought I'd introduce myself and how I ended up here.

I am a 23 year old student at Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo and soon I will be graduating with a degree in aerospace engineering. As my final school year quickly approaches, my mind is constantly racing trying to grasp the uncertainty of the future. All my life I have loved space and science, hence, why I became an aerospace engineer, but as I progress forward, I become less and less certain aerospace engineering is the correct path for my life. I say this not because my interest in science or engineering has decreased, but because I realized the aerospace industry is extremely bureaucratic and very very few aerospace engineers actually live up to the name. The majority work at large companies on multi-billion-dollar contracts that have a life span of over a decade. For the average aerospace engineer, they will spend their days at the desk creating excel sheets and developing technical requirements with limited potential for growth; I don’t know if I can do that for 30 years.

As an individual who is often controlled by internal fear, I am drawn to the job security and paycheck of the aerospace industry and engineering as a whole - just to clarify what I meant by internal fear, I have noticed that many “book smart” people live in fear that they could lose control of any situation or fear of uncertainty. This fear often drives major life decisions. Decisions such as…becoming an engineer in the first place to protect against the fear of being jobless, poor, or letting your parents down. Don't get me wrong, I love learning about the physics and space, but motives are never black and white. Choosing to work 9-5 at a large company because they offer a salary and job security thus eliminating the feeling of uncontrollability is another example. This internal driving mechanism not only influences large life decisions but nearly all decisions; it explains the subtlest human behaviors. Luckily, I am only half book smart and I have slowly begun to recognize this driving force over the years, but rarely do I act to escape it - until recently.

It is now that the two worlds are colliding, take the steady paycheck on the cookie cutter career path, or take the risk. It could mean drop all engineering career paths, be very selective and take a pay cut for an engineering job I’m more likely to enjoy, or just leave it undefined with no expectations. However, this is more than about choosing a job or “following your passion”. This is about changing yourself, choosing to live and make decisions apart from the seemingly absolute authority of fear.

Over the last few years I have read many finance/ self help books such as Rich Dad Poor Dad, How to Win Friends and Influence People, and a few more. At the end of each book, I get closer and closer to breaking free from the Slowlane, but I can never execute.

Last week, while browsing YouTube, I stumbled across a review for Millionaire Fastlane . Next thing I knew, I ordered the book and finished it only a few days later. MJ, I can't thank you enough, this book has helped me turn my ideas of leaving the Slowlane into actions, something that I've lacked the courage to do for many years, and just in the Knick of time. For the first time, I am truly in control of my own destiny. It quite a liberating feeling, a feeling I hope to maintain into the foreseeable future.

I write this not only to introduce myself to this forum, but with hopes that I can help another in a similar situation reject the oppression of the Slowlane and take control of your own future.

I have a final interview for sales consulting position at a start-up tech company on Wednesday with hopes of eventually starting my own company in the near future, wish me luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It is now that the two worlds are colliding, take the steady paycheck on the cookie cutter career path, or take the risk.

Having a job and pursuing business is not mutually exclusive. Really depends on the opportunity pursued, the type of job(s) available, and more.

I tend to tell people not to make rash mistakes and enter business with vague ideas, no plan, and no direction.

There's a difference between pursuing a business that has traction, and pursuing something ambiguous.

Welcome my friend, appreciate the intro.

Code4fun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 24, 2020
I have a final interview for sales consulting position at a start-up tech company on Wednesday with hopes of eventually starting my own company in the near future, wish me luck.

Hey Jschoob27,

An engineer that can build and sell? If you have seen "how to get rich without getting lucky" by naval you would be described as "unstoppable".

My question for you is: Is there anyway to leverage your training / love for physics and space. These fields are not very potent with sales-minded people, could be some opportunity there.

jschoob27

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 21, 2021
Hey Jschoob27,

An engineer that can build and sell? If you have seen "how to get rich without getting lucky" by naval you would be described as "unstoppable".

My question for you is: Is there anyway to leverage your training / love for physics and space. These fields are not very potent with sales-minded people, could be some opportunity there.
Hey Zack,

That' so funny that you mention Naval, I follow him on twitter for his unparalleled wisdom; however, I haven't seen "how to get rich without getting lucky," but I will definitely read into it. Thank for the suggestion.

Also, thanks for mentioning that potential opportunity to pursue sales within the aerospace industry. That is definitely something that I haven't thought of, but it make sense since I have the technical background.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it!

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
I can totally relate. I was an engineer for 5 years at a large aerospace company. The product was badass but I felt like a cog in the machine and realized I would likely spend most of my years doing boring monotonous work like reviewing material changes on little clips and brackets.

I ended up quitting and moving to South Korea for 2 years working remotely designing automation equipment and cnc programming, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It was scary at first leaving a well paying "reliable" job, but life is so much more enjoyable and exciting now and I've realized the potential to earn way more than I would have at my safe cubicle job.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm an engineer. As far as business goes, my first thought is always "engineering & design company."

What other experiences do you have? What other businesses have you considered?

Surveying, drafting, 3D design, manufacturing, technical sales/products, scrap yard, machine rentals & sales... could all be relevant.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Hey Everyone,

I am new the forums and relatively new to the Fastlane mindset and I thought I'd introduce myself and how I ended up here.

I am a 23 year old student at Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo and soon I will be graduating with a degree in aerospace engineering. As my final school year quickly approaches, my mind is constantly racing trying to grasp the uncertainty of the future. All my life I have loved space and science, hence, why I became an aerospace engineer, but as I progress forward, I become less and less certain aerospace engineering is the correct path for my life. I say this not because my interest in science or engineering has decreased, but because I realized the aerospace industry is extremely bureaucratic and very very few aerospace engineers actually live up to the name. The majority work at large companies on multi-billion-dollar contracts that have a life span of over a decade. For the average aerospace engineer, they will spend their days at the desk creating excel sheets and developing technical requirements with limited potential for growth; I don’t know if I can do that for 30 years.

As an individual who is often controlled by internal fear, I am drawn to the job security and paycheck of the aerospace industry and engineering as a whole - just to clarify what I meant by internal fear, I have noticed that many “book smart” people live in fear that they could lose control of any situation or fear of uncertainty. This fear often drives major life decisions. Decisions such as…becoming an engineer in the first place to protect against the fear of being jobless, poor, or letting your parents down. Don't get me wrong, I love learning about the physics and space, but motives are never black and white. Choosing to work 9-5 at a large company because they offer a salary and job security thus eliminating the feeling of uncontrollability is another example. This internal driving mechanism not only influences large life decisions but nearly all decisions; it explains the subtlest human behaviors. Luckily, I am only half book smart and I have slowly begun to recognize this driving force over the years, but rarely do I act to escape it - until recently.

It is now that the two worlds are colliding, take the steady paycheck on the cookie cutter career path, or take the risk. It could mean drop all engineering career paths, be very selective and take a pay cut for an engineering job I’m more likely to enjoy, or just leave it undefined with no expectations. However, this is more than about choosing a job or “following your passion”. This is about changing yourself, choosing to live and make decisions apart from the seemingly absolute authority of fear.

Over the last few years I have read many finance/ self help books such as Rich Dad Poor Dad, How to Win Friends and Influence People, and a few more. At the end of each book, I get closer and closer to breaking free from the Slowlane, but I can never execute.

Last week, while browsing YouTube, I stumbled across a review for Millionaire Fastlane . Next thing I knew, I ordered the book and finished it only a few days later. MJ, I can't thank you enough, this book has helped me turn my ideas of leaving the Slowlane into actions, something that I've lacked the courage to do for many years, and just in the Knick of time. For the first time, I am truly in control of my own destiny. It quite a liberating feeling, a feeling I hope to maintain into the foreseeable future.

I write this not only to introduce myself to this forum, but with hopes that I can help another in a similar situation reject the oppression of the Slowlane and take control of your own future.

I know it doesn't sound foo "fastlane", but have you considered becoming a software developer? It can be interesting depending on the challenges you face, it's hands-on (no excel BS), and so far a solid career path. But most importantly, it's also a skill that can be used to build a business that scales. Salaries can be quite good, which is good fuel to build businesses on the side. So it's a good starter for both making some money and escaping the rat race.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
You can also pursue a job, work in an industry for a few years, get to know what's not working in it, and create a business around solving that problem.

As MJ said, having a job and running a business are not mutually exclusive.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You can also pursue a job, work in an industry for a few years, get to know what's not working in it, and create a business around solving that problem.

As MJ said, having a job and running a business are not mutually exclusive.

Are there people on this forum who do this in offline industries? For example, would you be taking customer phone calls to send a worker to their site / home while working your day job? I'm sure you could hire someone else to answer the phone, but yeah, I haven't seen many threads on stuff like this, just affiliate marketing, selling on Amazon, and other trendy topics.

I'm envisioning something like renting out portapotties, renting real estate (need to send a handyman over), renovating houses, hauling trash (think of how big Waste Management got), etc. People don't talk a lot about ideas on FLF, mostly sticking to e-commerce and the same other online stuff.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Are there people on this forum who do this in offline industries? For example, would you be taking customer phone calls to send a worker to their site / home while working your day job? I'm sure you could hire someone else to answer the phone, but yeah, I haven't seen many threads on stuff like this, just affiliate marketing, selling on Amazon, and other trendy topics.

I'm envisioning something like renting out portapotties, renting real estate (need to send a handyman over), renovating houses, hauling trash (think of how big Waste Management got), etc. People don't talk a lot about ideas on FLF, mostly sticking to e-commerce and the same other online stuff.

100% possible, and not only in the online industries. It's the old "work on your side business after your 9-5 is over" thing.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

100% possible, and not only in the online industries. It's the old "work on your side business after your 9-5 is over" thing.
Definitely, but I think you'll need real employees and staff, not the 4HWW "lifestyle" type of business.

Most businesses are open 9-5, so you'll have to check in after work and ask employees what happened, maybe?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...