The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Affiliate marketing as a route to learning/potentially making money?

Marketing, social media, advertising

sandmountain

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 7, 2020
Hi Everyone!

First post here. I finished TMF a few years ago and it basically turned my worldview upside down. It was almost at the point of dropping everything I was currently involved with (traditional college education/job path) and starting fresh...but...I just liked surgery too much and want it to be part of my life. I'm now (finally) a surgery resident and I genuinely love it. My specialty makes a good living (500k+) but it's a long road, with lots of debt and opportunity cost - definitely not fastlane. The only problem is I still think about TMF weekly. Call it fomo or whatever, but TMF reallly lit a fastlane/entrepreneurship fire in me that all my grad school and surgery training has yet to blow out. I'm in a fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) scenario that money won't be a big issue for me when it comes to covering my basics, but if my hand isn't holding a scalpel I won't be making money. Anything could happen, from an injury, to a change in insurance, etc, and things could change in a major way. I'm done using forums like this as entertainment and I want to jump in the game! Surgery residency is extremely busy, but I'm able to carve out multiple hours a week to get working on something - even if all I do is learn a lot through failure, and even if I'm really slow at it...

Affiliate marketing seems like a great place to start. Low start-up costs (good for me as I'm strapped with debt and a residents salary isn't huge), experience learning some copywriting, seo, website design, etc... my question is, can you think of a better option to just get started with that will help me learn valuable skills and still potentially lead to profits?

The main goal, in the end, would be to work as a surgeon, funnel income into rental properties, and have another side business(s) as another source of income (ideally businesses that are online). The dream would be to have enough income outside of medicine to eventually be able to scale back and take only the cases I want/be more free to do probono/medical missions.

Thanks for any input!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I delete TEN registrations PER DAY of affiliate marketers here who join to drop and pimp their affiliate links. It's a cattle call...

That said, if you can succeed at AM, I think you could KILL IT in the entrepreneur space.

The space does indeed offer some learning opportunities.

I delete TEN registrations PER DAY

As such, I will also have to DELETE multiple comments on this thread for the same reason, a bunch of random affiliate marketers dropping their Bit.ly links. It's actually quite funny.

sandmountain

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 7, 2020
I delete TEN registrations PER DAY of affiliate marketers here who join to drop and pimp their affiliate links. It's a cattle call...

That said, if you can succeed at AM, I think you could KILL IT in the entrepreneur space.

The space does indeed offer some learning opportunities.

As such, I will also have to DELETE multiple comments on this thread for the same reason, a bunch of random affiliate marketers dropping their Bit.ly links. It's actually quite funny.

Wow thanks for the response @MJ DeMarco! and seriously thanks for TMF ! A large part of me wishes I had discovered it before I really started heavily down the medicine path. I probably would have saved myself a lot of time and money. That said, I am very happy with my current path, and super grateful to have found the book at all. If I can successfully combine surgery and entrepreneurship that would be the ultimate dream for me.

Im getting my first site set up now. Win loose or draw it’s something, and hopefully is the start to something great!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.