The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[ADVICE]-Selling to Government (Cities, Counties, States) ???

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Selling to Governments (Cities, Counties & States):

How hard or easy is this?

I have an App idea for Firemen and the County that I'm in controls everything... however creating an App, I probably don't need their approval, just the cities. If it interfaces with there current technology, then I would.

Anywho, who has sold to governments? Is it harder to sell but the $ is easier? Or vice versa?

I really know nothing on this, so I don't know if politics are involved (donating to campaigns and such).

Preselling?

What say you...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Some one gave a presentation on this at B&P 2013 I can't remember who.
Anybody?

If their information readily available please let me know. I can search on Google (no prob), but I'm curious about personal stories/advice.

Thanks!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
If their information readily available please let me know. I can search on Google (no prob), but I'm curious about personal stories/advice.

Thanks!
B&P (Beer and Pancakes) was the old style annual forum meetup. Most presentations aren't archived.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I have experience in this area, but would need a lot more information to make a specific recommendation.

However, a good piece of general advice is to ask someone in local government or the local chamber of commerce (including a local elected official-they can be suprisingly responsive) "I have an idea to make (something relating to firefighting) (better/faster/cheaper/etc) with an app I'm developing, and as a local resident I'm wondering who I could talk to regarding potentially launching a free pilot demo with the Fire Department."

Have you tried that? Also, is this a real thing you could show someone or just an idea?

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
I have experience in this area, but would need a lot more information to make a specific recommendation.

However, a good piece of general advice is to ask someone in local government or the local chamber of commerce (including a local elected official-they can be suprisingly responsive) "I have an idea to make (something relating to firefighting) (better/faster/cheaper/etc) with an app I'm developing, and as a local resident I'm wondering who I could talk to regarding potentially launching a free pilot demo with the Fire Department."

Have you tried that? Also, is this a real thing you could show someone or just an idea?

Replying on my phone so forgive the typos...

I have asked and got some mixed responses. I don't really know who holds the purse strings at the moment. I want to (if possible) create a mock-up that has the feedback of multiple captains (2nd highest level @ each fire station) and then present it and get a 3mo presell if possible.

I still have no idea exactly if it's county or city, but even if I did know exactly who... Is it that easy as convincing them?

I wonder if $$$ is a big issue or less so for government? I'd like to charge $100/mo per fire Dept or more...

Thanks

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
You really need to start the prospecting by asking around, I'm sure every government is different so even if someone knew something it may be different for another state, country, local, etc.

I'd start by calling directories or paying the firehouse a visit and start working your way to finding the decision maker

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
You really need to start the prospecting by asking around, I'm sure every government is different so even if someone knew something it may be different for another state, country, local, etc.

I'd start by calling directories or paying the firehouse a visit and start working your way to finding the decision maker

Thanks!

I've pretty much been doing that (visiting in-person & finding my way to the DM), however, I was curious as to the selling part: If it was different than B2B.

I used to work in Govt. and one of the things of Govt buying was that you needed 3 bids on any project. Since I have a "potential product" with no comparison or competitors, that wouldn't count, but I figured there was some other politics involved- and I wanted to be prepared for that.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Thanks!

I've pretty much been doing that (visiting in-person & finding my way to the DM), however, I was curious as to the selling part: If it was different than B2B.

I used to work in Govt. and one of the things of Govt buying was that you needed 3 bids on any project. Since I have a "potential product" with no comparison or competitors, that wouldn't count, but I figured there was some other politics involved- and I wanted to be prepared for that.

The process for approval definitely is different than standard B2B but really it's different among governments. I sold a service to a local municipal government and it was the EA I was working with but the CC and approval came from her boss.

This will help you. Story of someone who sold his courthouse navigation app to government bodies

How An Indie Developer Made $6,750 In Two Weeks By Creating A Boring Kiosk App For A Courthouse. • r/Entrepreneur

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
At the last job I had the employers got all their contracts from the local city governments. Normally these governments use some sort of app where they post the scope of work they need completed, and each company bids for their contract.

The government chooses the most competitive price.

This was for landscaping though, but each project was worth $200K+. Extremely over-priced. The margins for them are insane.

I'm not sure how you would present them with a problem they aren't actively trying to solve, however. Might require a few rounds of golf and some hand-shaking.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
At the last job I had the employers got all their contracts from the local city governments. Normally these governments use some sort of app where they post the scope of work they need completed, and each company bids for their contract.

The government chooses the most competitive price.

This was for landscaping though, but each project was worth $200K+. Extremely over-priced. The margins for them are insane.

I'm not sure how you would present them with a problem they aren't actively trying to solve, however. Might require a few rounds of golf and some hand-shaking.

I believe it is a serious problem that they have (depends on City size- bigger city, bigger prob). I was talking with a Firefighter and he mentioned it. This was not an idea I came up with or even knew it existed.

They try to solve the problem through training, but it is highly-inadequate.

As far as you were mentioning price: Does that mean price isn't a big issue?

The process for approval definitely is different than standard B2B but really it's different among governments. I sold a service to a local municipal government and it was the EA I was working with but the CC and approval came from her boss.

This will help you. Story of someone who sold his courthouse navigation app to government bodies

How An Indie Developer Made $6,750 In Two Weeks By Creating A Boring Kiosk App For A Courthouse. • r/Entrepreneur

Thanks for that link! Rep disp. :)

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Every government will be different

The business I work for the end user is exclusively government.

What specific question might you have?

I can tell you, the best way is to call and speak to who you believe may be in charge of purchasing decisions and who is in charge of their tech. This is what I currently do for a my slowlane job. Sales/customer relationship/service

Also, not to be negative but fire dept. are generally on a very tight budget. We sell a high dollar product(relative to our competitors) and fire dept. are pretty near the bottom of our list in terms of revenue.(the product we sell is used on virtually every L.E vehicle/public safety vehicle in the country)

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
lol......well Im glad someone made this thread and got some response. I made one a couple of months ago and got no answer at all....getting the government to become customers is very hard from what I read and hear. Only because there are so many layers and politics and other BS to pass through before getting a answer.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
True. My idea was for an app. I'm thinking (if it gets built) to sell it on the app store for .99-3.99/mo. that way it can be sold TO the Firemen and not the dept.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.