The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice/Feedback on an idea (reposted)

Idea threads

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022
Hi guys,

Im currently doing a side course in school on enterprise and for one of my tasks I have to get feedback on the idea I have chosen and and I thought here would be the perfect place to get some feedback. I'll give the main details of it here but the idea isn't meant to be fully fleshed out and can be seen as a concept or framework for it and I'd like to get feedback on these questions:

Overall, is this a good or bad idea?
Do you think the price is suitable?
Any other feedback/comments.

Idea is below ⬇️
• A greeting/business general card business for many events like religious ceremonies or birthdays that is embossed fully in braille for those who are visually impaired or blind
Key Features/Value Skews
Price: 79p per card, include bulk orders at a discounted price.
Materials: Highest quality materials to ensure a premium feel
• Online and brick and mortar stores (online first then physical stores later if proven worthy)
• Worldwide delivery
• Allow customisation and complete creative control by customers
• Excellent customer service both in person and online
• Delivered in a personalised gift box
• Environmentally friendly
• High shipping speed
• Unique origin story

By the way, this is my first ever proper business idea so thought I'd just throw that out there. Thank you :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
I would suggest that you look deeper into the market to find out if it's a good or bad idea. You can use SEO to get a feeling how big the market is (numbers never lie). Then, when no want search (wants to buy) for the product, I would say it's a bad idea. I use mainly this method to research the market's potential. Then your costumer decides at the end of the day if he needs / wants this product.

How to do it

A: Find a Business in that Market
B: Use business related keyword (like business cards blind / cards for blinds )

Then use a SEO Tool to look up the numbers of these (most SEO tool offer a free trial or 3 free searches per day)

Then calculate the potential revenue
For example:

1.000.000 People search Monthly for Keyword or the business has a traffic of this number
1.000.000 / 1% (conversion rate) x100 (min order) x 0,79 (price per card) = 790.000

$790.000 is your monthly revenue potential

I think in the field of birthday cards for blind or visually damage people is bigger potential.
There could be also some markets that are underserved in this field that you don't know. So just look a bit deeper to find all the potential that is inside this business.

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022
I would suggest that you look deeper into the market to find out if it's a good or bad idea. You can use SEO to get a feeling how big the market is (numbers never lie). Then, when no want search (wants to buy) for the product, I would say it's a bad idea. I use mainly this method to research the market's potential. Then your costumer decides at the end of the day if he needs / wants this product.

How to do it

A: Find a Business in that Market
B: Use business related keyword (like business cards blind / cards for blinds )

Then use a SEO Tool to look up the numbers of these (most SEO tool offer a free trial or 3 free searches per day)

Then calculate the potential revenue
For example:

1.000.000 People search Monthly for Keyword or the business has a traffic of this number
1.000.000 / 1% (conversion rate) x100 (min order) x 0,79 (price per card) = 790.000

$790.000 is your monthly revenue potential

I think in the field of birthday cards for blind or visually damage people is bigger potential.
There could be also some markets that are underserved in this field that you don't know. So just look a bit deeper to find all the potential that is inside this business.
Thank you for the response and I will definitely keep it in mind. Do you have any other comments on what you think of my version of the idea? Such as the price, general feedback, improvements etc.

Mister

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 22, 2021
Germany
Nope not really.

Just take your time and find if you want to commit to this idea.
When you want to do it and go for it, everything other you will figure out along the way.

Giallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 6, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
A few things come to mind.

As it's been said, do the math and check how big this opportunity can be.

Try to talk to wedding planners and people in this industry to receive more precise feedback. Try to speak to your potential customers to understand and empathise with them more - find a friend of a friend, or reach out to an association. Nothing will be more insightful than that.

Would these cards be sent only to the visually impaired or just about everyone at an event? I can't imagine how often it would happen that everyone at a wedding or religious events requires this type of invite.
Are you making the cards or just designing them according to specific requirements for these categories of people?

For the product side:
Nothing speaks high quality and sustainability as much as paper does. Huge variety of quality. You can emboss braille easily. Every material that has a great/unique tactility would be a great option.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 11, 2019
Testing this idea seems super simple. Get someone who can write in braille to help you with the texts, and create digital mockups in Canva (it's free). Then, setup a simple landing page (a simple WordPress page won't cost you much) and run some traffic to it. If people try to buy, or message you, the idea is valid!

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022
Testing this idea seems super simple. Get someone who can write in braille to help you with the texts, and create digital mockups in Canva (it's free). Then, setup a simple landing page (a simple WordPress page won't cost you much) and run some traffic to it. If people try to buy, or message you, the idea is valid!
I'm definitely going to try that right away and update you as soon as possible thank you for the idea

Kaan Gullu

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 4, 2022
A few things come to mind.

As it's been said, do the math and check how big this opportunity can be.

Try to talk to wedding planners and people in this industry to receive more precise feedback. Try to speak to your potential customers to understand and empathise with them more - find a friend of a friend, or reach out to an association. Nothing will be more insightful than that.

Would these cards be sent only to the visually impaired or just about everyone at an event? I can't imagine how often it would happen that everyone at a wedding or religious events requires this type of invite.
Are you making the cards or just designing them according to specific requirements for these categories of people?

For the product side:
Nothing speaks high quality and sustainability as much as paper does. Huge variety of quality. You can emboss braille easily. Every material that has a great/unique tactility would be a great option.
I'll go ahead and check the potential of it and update you. In regards to contacting people, I have a limited network but I'm going to make the best of it and try to reach out to as much people as possible both online and in person. The target customers are of course going to be the visually impaired and blind since they're going to be the ones to extract the most value from the product so I don't think I'm going to include those who have normal vision. Could you elaborate a bit more on your last question? I'm not sure how to respond. I greatly appreciate your feedback and it's been very valuable so thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.