The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A youngster with great plans

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
Greetings, friends.
I intend to create a website with forum attached, which will:
  • be compellingly clear to browse (both site and forum)
  • be responsive (adaptive to devices' screen width)(btw, a must-have nowadays)
  • have a possibility to grow big
The main theme of my website will be writing per se. Fiction. Stories. That is all I can say for now.
I have a rather basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, WordPress but, with a bit of guidance, I would even be able to write the website almost by myself.
My question is: how to make the process most efficient? I have stumbled upon some website templates, but over the time it gets kind of confusing when I try to figure them out. Not to even mention adding some new code to them.

Edit: To specify. The main website will be a blog with around 4-6 different pages. Most of content will come not just from me, but from the forum and its users. Revenue will be from ads and traffic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
In addition, I have considered crowdfunding for the purpose of both getting the website funded and finding the users for the forum to post and generate additional traffic. Anything i should know before submitting my idea on Kickstarter? Or should I consider any other platform? Or drop the idea whatsoever?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Are you a successful writer?

People will want to know your credentials and your bestsellers before they listen to you give them advice.

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
Funny thing you ask about being a succesful writer. The thing is...
I am not.
Not a single book being published. Not that I did not try. It just... the story did not unfold.
The kicker is, many people, I believe, have the same problem.
What if we could... pool our efforts? Gather on one site, from around the world, and write stories never seen before - together? With more people, stories can unfold in unpredictable ways, gain instant appeal, and characters can be more realistic than ever.

Have you ever had a moment after you read a fiction book, which you had PAID FOR, when you put it aside and thought: "Bah, I could write a better one myself"?

There are already sites like that - concept is similar to PBF - but 99.99% of them suffer from being too niche, too ugly and too unreadable for a typical user. I am going to make this change.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
To setup something like this you don't need to know any coding. Use a phpbb forum as they're free/open source then host one on your website (i think theres a small charge). Then use something like wordpress for the blog side. Done.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
Just curious, but if you've never written/published a book before, what are you actually planning to write on the blog? You say most of the content will be from users posting on the forum, but how are you actually going to convince them to come to your website and, most importantly, stay there?

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
You need to take into consideration bounce rate, etc. You could be an overnight success or it may take years, but building up a forum with a large audience requires great user submitted content etc. People need to stay on your site. Ive probably joined 50 forums in the last 4 years. I only frequent 2.

Now then. For kickstarter. Kickstarter isnt a magic pill. It takes a lot of work, and people don't just magically find you on there most of the time, and not everyone opens there wallet. What do you have to offer them in exchange for their money?

You have a lot of work ahead of you in terms of marketing, and maintaining a high user retention. Building the site is the easy part. Best of luck.

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
Promotion surely matters, can't deny that. And the fact that ppl won't flock to my website without a reason.
Thank you for pointing out these matters. I will try to work out some solutions for them and reconsider the Kickstarter, in due time. For now, I've got to get this started.
After all, the promotion is pointless if there's nothing to promote, eh?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.