The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A New Mental Drill - Works Great Snap You Out Of A Funk!

Anything related to matters of the mind

willcouchman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 27, 2011
Hey guys.

Hope everyone is well.

I had some good feedback on a mental drill I posted recently, and some people didn't quite get the results that others get. So I wanted to post another one. It looks very strange, but just TRY IT OUT (if you want), and if you have any questions please ask away!

The following mental drill looks, frankly, a little absurd, but its results are game-changing.
Seriously.

Whenever I find myself feeling a little overwhelmed, or dwelling on something negative and can't snap out of it, I do this. It takes seconds, but I find that it works wonders.

Hope people get some value from it.

I will have try to get some more posts up in the next few days expanding on what this drill is supposed to do.

Cool?

This is going to involve talking to yourself. You are going to (mentally) give yourself the following instruction:

“Look around the room, and find something you could have.†(‘Have’ here means something you feel comfortable with)

And then follow the instruction.

So take a look around the room you’re in, and pick something you could have, say a cell phone.

Repeat the instruction, and pick a different object, until you have done it 10 times.

Next:

Give yourself (mentally) the following instruction:

“Look around the room, and find something you could allow to remain here.†(So, something you are happy to leave in the room)

Repeat the instruction until, and pick a different object, until you have done it 5 times.

And, finally:

Give yourself (mentally) the following instruction:

“Look around the room, and find something you could dispense with.†(So, something you would be happy to remove from the room)

Do this instruction ONCE.

Read this post a few times over just to make sure you have it, and do the drill. It should only take a minute or less.

So…

“Look around the room and find something you could have†(10 times)

“Look around the room and find something you could allow to remain†(5 times)

“Look around the room and find something you could dispense with†(1 time)

And then, notice how you feel.

And – again – PLEASE let us know any changes or realisations that happened, or any questions!

Will

P.S. This drill is KILLER if you find yourself upset, tired, or overwhelmed.

P.P.S. Do it and see why!

Will Couchman - Inner Game And Entrepreneur Coaching

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Ok, my gf is outside now, what next?
:rofl:

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I tried it, may have made me slightly more self aware but not a significant effect on my mood.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I don't understand the instructions.

I'm sitting in my office looking for what I can have. Does that mean things I like and want to keep with me, things I really like? I picked:
  1. iPhone
  2. Watch
  3. Custom desk clock
  4. Machinery Handbook
  5. Custom Letter Opener
  6. Artwork on wall
  7. Test piece from a qualification test long ago
  8. 50D Canon
  9. Lead hammer
  10. Cooling towel

I then look around for things I can leave in the room. Huh? Does that mean things I need but aren't attached to?

I then look for something I can dispense with.
  1. Superseded drawing set

I'm not sure I understand the rules.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I tried to feel a little deeper, was that what was supposed to happen? I usually achieve it by consciously breathing in and focusing right on the end of the inhale at the pause, where you become most aware.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I've a routine like this. Let me elaborate, sometimes I think about writing about it, well here we go. I got a few minutes.

Every action we take requires the mind. You have to tell yourself to do something, then you do it. Well, what happens in our life is that alot of our actions become automatic, such as driving a car, eating, changing your clothes, mowing the lawn. You can easily do those without thinking.

When you find yourself trying to do something new that you are not experienced with especially a creative action, creative actions differ even if they are similiar, if you are painting you are probably not painting the same picture, if you are writing, you are writing a different article. So these new actions require you to think differently. Your mind must push forth for your body to follow. Sometimes you find yourself in a position, where it seems you know what to do, but your body doesn't want to do it. You somehow feel you know what to do, but you are stuck. Sometimes it's as simple as waking up and you are laying down and telling yourself to get up from the damn bed, but your body doesn't want to follow.

So the drill is to bring your body under control of your mind. So you do something simple, ie, tell yourself that you are going to blink both eyes, then blink the left one, then the right one, tell yourself you are going to squeeze your palms, Then stretch your leg. Then put one hand down for support and sit up. Then get up. That's how I will myself out of bed even if my body doesn't want to and I really have to. The same can be done when you are in your work area, and you know what needs to be done but you can't move forth. Just command yourself to do little trival things, bring your body under control of your mind, then tell yourself to do whatever it needs to do. It's like priming yourself with yes commands, your body says yes, yes, yes, to the simple things, then you say, "Sit down for the next 30 minutes" and write till you have at least a page.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.