The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A market where want outsells need by a landslide.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Last time I checked, out of the top grossing 150 apps in the iOS app store, 120 were games! Some simple indie games on there, too. Almost all were free to download, with in-app purchases - which generates revenue from just 3% of the players.

That intrigues me because I'm a 2d/3d digital artist who learns code quickly. (also, currently stuck selling physical products...using those damn slow human beings)

The challenge is market saturation (500 new games per day!). Although uniquely artistic games do get noticed, and tend to be paid with no in-app purchases. They're also usually sold on several platforms.

Just wanted to share my research in case it helps someone. Apps that solve personal or business pain points are barely on that list...which is weird. The only problem a game solves is boredom.

Going to test some validation and targeting. Photoshop some polished, fake screenshots, and see what people respond to. If anyone has experience, feel free to share or pm.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jalini.alias

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 13, 2015
Games tap our subconcious... the good ones on several levels... Its a psychological hook that some find so addictive its like a drug

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
There's a less obvious, but more important angle. For some: It's their hobby.

If you were to look at almost any activity, it's probably a serious hobby for 3% or less of people doing it.

Out of all the people who jog/run, probably 3% like to buy all sorts of gear for running.

Out of all the people who draw, probably 3% own every art tool under the sun (me! traditional and digital)

My dad's hobby is golf. He's bought so much crap!

So 3% of gamers are just really into it. On the PC side, these are the guys who spend tons of money building a custom rig. On the mobile side, these are the people with a big collection of apps who are willing to buy in-app purchases. Or those that found a digital version of their real world hobby (which is why a boring jigsaw puzzle game made the top 150)

So I don't think they're addicts. I think the challenge is to design a game intriguing enough for a hobbyist, which probably includes making it fun and addictive.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.