The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Lottery Contrarian

Honestly... did you play a ticket?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
In some ways, I'm actually a massive fan of the lottery for fastlane purposes; yes, you read that right. Here's why:

Dreams.

Most cube dwellers and professional rat racers don't ever dream anymore. They've become so accustomed to the cage they forget there's the possibility of something else.

By far the best comment I read elsewhere on the web in regards to the recent lottery madness was this:

"I bought my $2 ticket today so I can spend my night dreaming of what I might do... tomorrow I'll go back work, as usual."

Think about that for a minute... would it not be worth $2 for a few people out there to 'invest' in their dream world for a day?

I tend to think so.

Of course, we all know it's a losers game in then end. Those who go spending their entire paychecks are idiots. Those who feel like $2 is a spark in their inner dream flame...Hmm.

What do you think?

Again, we all know we can dream any day, any time. We can step back and focus on what we REALLY want even without spending $2. But, for those who are so severely stuck... I think $2 is a miniature snap of habits, and gets the ball rolling, even if only for a day or two.

We can only hope a few people out there realized they can make their dreams a reality, with or without this absurd amount of money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Think about that for a minute... would it not be worth $2 for a few people out there to 'invest' in their dream world for a day?

I tend to think so.

Of course, we all know it's a losers game in then end. Those who go spending their entire paychecks are idiots. Those who feel like $2 is a spark in their inner dream flame...Hmm.

What do you think?

I think it could be a great opportunity for people to wake the f*ck up.

Visualizing how life could be without your job and without need could be therapeutic for some as they confront some inner beasts.

To be honest, I feel like I keep winning the lottery, except better. I've earned it and have a memory of what it took to do it.

In the end, the lottery is the biggest "event" scam of the century. What bigger shortcut is there? With absolutely ZERO process? I think for most people, it ends up being one gigantic pipe-dream followed by a disappointing reality check...

So yea, it could be good...

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I see the problem with playing the lottery, that it's not a one time feeling of "what could be possible?" like it would be if it's an once a year event. You can play the lottery weekly, even daily, using the right apps to play worldwide lotto.

Most lotto players do it on a regular basis I think, that makes it more of an emotional wave which goes Hope - Disappointment - Hope - Disappointment - Hope - and so on.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
@Yoda

Reminds me of a conversation some of my friends were happening.

Toronto Transit pays $24 per hour...They said they like my application and I'm a top candidate...

Wow, that's awesome...let us know how it goes...

And I'm all I could think -- this conversation depresses me.

That statement of "I can dream what tomorrow might be like if I won". I just feel the same thing. This horrific combination of pity and depression. Where is the fire? Where is the burning passion and refusal to compromise?

That's it? That's the tone you use to express your wildest dreams? Some sort of fusion of defeat and half-hearted sentiments? Why do you sigh when you are talking about your ambitions?

How utterly depressing.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
You can play the lottery weekly, even daily, using the right apps to play worldwide lotto.

It's unfortunate our societies have created focus on these, when we can get just as high by setting new PR's in our workouts, hitting new revenue plateau's, and spending time realizing our own purpose in life.

An odd trade, it is.

Fathazard

Patience, Speed & Gratitude
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
435%
Jul 31, 2015
Sweden
It's bullshit.

Crap like lotteries makes people rationalize being stuck in the Slowlane. "Oh, at least there's a chance I will be rich. Yay, I'm doing something"...

Not.

Dreaming for a day each week about your goals is probably addictive, which is why they keep coming back. And then the poor souls probably believe that they are making progress. That each lottery ticket bought brings them closer to winning.

Sorry, not how statistics work.
3 heads in a row doesn't increase the likelihood of a tail on the next throw.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Many of my wife and I's best, most important discussions started with "if you/we won the lottery" at the beginning of a goals and planning session. Even in conversations while we were dating and learning if we were a match, it was a key question. As life altering as truly winning the lottery would be, maybe moreso in some ways since we've taken massive action on those answers. Note, you don't need to buy the ticket to use the strategy.

But it's also a fun, if silly, occasional "dirty" splurge to actually buy a ticket.

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Just a bit of a drive-by comment:

This latest Powerball has reached Tai Lopez levels of controversy on this forum, LOL! I think it's time a consolidation of lotto threads, imo.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
"The chances of winning the record Powerball jackpot was one in 292 million, and Powerball players spent an estimated $2.6 billion on tickets since the last jackpot was claimed in November."

"But Powerball frenzy has reinforced something about the middle class: they live by a lottery mentality. The chances of actually guessing the correct numbers and winning were slim to none, but look at the effort many people made in an attempt to make it happen."

"From organizing office pools to waiting in long lines and dropping big bucks, it shows people are motivated to make money."

"But what’s really disappointing is that for all the Powerball players who didn’t win, they don’t realize that wealth is much closer than they realize, and it has nothing to do with playing the lottery."

"All they need to do is use the same effort they did on the Powerball drawing to start a business, solve a problem and create massive value for other people.".........................

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/lottery-tells-us-something-significant-about-wealth-2016-1

Freedom61

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 21, 2015
Tampa, FL
"All they need to do is use the same effort they did on the Powerball drawing to start a business, solve a problem and create massive value for other people.".........................

Boom! That's exactly it. And while they're at it, spend $20 less on lottery tickets to purchase TMF & they'll be set.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
As I've always said, the lottery is a tax on the bad at maths.

But dreams are addictive. For a topical example, I remember when I first read TMF. Putting the (obvious and massive) benefits of the information to one side, and speaking only of the reading experience itself - dreams. Visions. A new reality!

And then I finished reading the book. The reading experience was a whole lot more fun than all the new questions I then had to answer, the problems I had to confront and the huge mountain of work I would have to do. I had a sudden and profound sense of dissatisfaction with the life I was living, after that. Which makes me wonder if self-help junkies who never actually take action on any of the material they consume actually make themselves progressively more miserable over time. Forever seeking glimpses of a better life which will never be theirs. What a way to live.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
If i won the powerball id feel empty inside, you fastlane bastards taught me to want to EARN IT...
Id just give the money to my mom, and leave enough for myself to pay bills and food money, and just keep working on my apps.

Freedom61

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 21, 2015
Tampa, FL
If i won the powerball id feel empty inside, you fastlane bastards taught me to want to EARN IT...
Id just give the money to my mom, and leave enough for myself to pay bills and food money, and just keep working on my apps.

Same here. Plus, then everyone would be saying, "Oh you had hundreds of millions fall into your lap when you were in the early stages of your business, you got lucky!" :banghead: Not that I care what anybody thinks (that's what I love about the Fastlane Forum - we're on the same page in terms of achieving success) but it'd still be annoying. Plus in my mind, I wouldn't feel as if I truly earned since I didn't spend very much time forging progress while being broke because I was continuously reinvesting back into my internet biz.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Americans spend more on the lottery than on ...

CYiynmjUEAAM5L1.png

......Music, movies, books, video games and sports teams - combined.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/11/news/companies/lottery-spending/

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.