The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A fruit a day keeps the doctor away (business idea)

Idea threads

DanTom47

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 17, 2020
This idea popped into my mind a couple of nights ago. I was thinking about the excessive use of coffee and snacks during breaks/conferances/meetings at working hours. It seems like everyone rushes to grab a cup of coffee and something sweet without actually thinking about how it affects our body. Would it not be better to grab a fruit or two? This is where I come in. I would offer any business, big or small, fruit-baskets every week at customers request. The customer can choose the quantity delivered (based on the number of employees) but also when the delivery should take place during the day. I was thinking that the service would be subscription based without binding time.

There is tons of scientific studies and reports which show the positive effects of eating fruits, both physically and mentally. But even at work, such a simple thing as fruits contribute to better employee engagement, higher productivity and increased staff retention. Who does not want that? The foundation of a successful company is that the staff is happy, energetic and productive. Showing, that you as a business value the well-being and health of your employees is a key ingredient for increased staff morale.

There are some companies in my area that already offer this service, but i feel like it is handled poorly. Since all of the companies offer regular fruits (bananas,apples, pears etc) i was thinking about offering exotic fruits instead. Durian, Fig, jackfruit to name a few. I would to this to stand out among the crowd and i think it would be more fun for employees to try different fruits than just eating the regular stuff. But of course, with every idea there are some problems that needs to be solved. I have no experience in transporting fruit (especially exotic fruits), but i can only imagine its a pain in the a$$. Moreover, the business idea solely relies on harvest. A bad harvest gives me bad fruits which leads to dissatisfied customers. Also, since it is not regular fruits someone actually has to take the time to peel the fruits and make them displayable. (this can probably be avoided somehow)

How about costs? The most obvious costs are of course the fruits, the basket itself, transport, a good website and marketing. Where im from i also think drivers need a special license to be able to deliver, which also costs. There are several more costs that needs to be covered. But i was thinking on starting small. I would take care of the deliveries at the start up phase and gradually develop it to minimize the time i have to put in. Scaling and product variation is something i find hard to develop, maybe start offering healthy snacks as well? Anything that is linked to well-being through diet can be used to my advantage.

I would love to hear some of your insights! Dont be shy to be harsh. You can even think the idea is absolutely stupid, I appreciate everything you write.

Have a nice day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Sounds like a no-brainer to me, if you have people in an office 8 hr a day that's a significant amount of their life spent in your space where you have the opportunity to shape their habits. When I bring fresh fruit in the office it is always a hit. I found a few companies that do "healthy" subscription snack boxes for offices. Sounds like your idea lies between "catering company" and "snack box"? Could partner with a company who is already delivering consumables to offices like a cold brew coffee company that drops a keg in there once a week, add a fruit platter for only $xx more. Only one way to find out..

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
I know they already do this in the Netherlands at my last job at the hospital we got a fruit basket every week.
With the right marketing im sure it will work with you too

DanTom47

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 17, 2020
Sounds like a no-brainer to me, if you have people in an office 8 hr a day that's a significant amount of their life spent in your space where you have the opportunity to shape their habits. When I bring fresh fruit in the office it is always a hit. I found a few companies that do "healthy" subscription snack boxes for offices. Sounds like your idea lies between "catering company" and "snack box"? Could partner with a company who is already delivering consumables to offices like a cold brew coffee company that drops a keg in there once a week, add a fruit platter for only $xx more. Only one way to find out..

The partnership sounds like a good idea, Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DanTom47

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 17, 2020
I know they already do this in the Netherlands at my last job at the hospital we got a fruit basket every week.
With the right marketing im sure it will work with you too
Yeah, as i mentioned there are some companies in my area. But i feel like their marketing and sale points are not good at all. No one seems to push the health benefits of eating fruits and how it affects certain work-related aspects. I guess i will have to try!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.