joshua
New Contributor
hello everyone . Let me introduce myself . First of all I am French but I am currently living in USA , Florida .
I am 22 years old . I just started my freshman year of college at the beginning of 2010 .
My story starts in 2005 when i graduated from high school in France .Following my graduation I went to college in September 2005 but in June 2006 I dropped out because of i was bored . Having a slight interest in the Japanese culture I decided to purchase a trip to japan during august 2006 in order to discover new ways to live my life . I also thought that this trip would help me figure out what i really wanted to do . I spent the whole august in Tokyo and when i got back to France in September 2006 , i decided that it was time for me to live my own life . I took a job and from September through December , worked in a construction company .
Meanwhile after a little research , in December 2006 I applied for a one year visa at the Japanese embassy .
My visa being granted , I departed and arrived in Tokyo during the first week of January 2007 . Not knowing the language , I decided to attempt a Japanese language school for 2 month . Having only 1500 euros on my bank account to pay for food , rent and school , i knew that i would have to work right away after those 2 month of school . I did not know anyone in town so I found a website were jobs advertisement were being posted in English . I sent out a dozen of resume , 11 companies did not even bother answering me back . Just before I was about to give up , I received a phone call from someone saying he was interested in my profile . I met him and even though my Japanese skills were low and he had almost no English skills at all , I managed to tell him that I wanted to work for him . Few days later later I got a call back from the guy telling me that I had the job .
The job was bartender/server in a really classy wine bar in Downtown Tokyo . I worked there until December 2007 .My average salary was about 2500 dollars . I went back to France for a month and arranged to get enrolled in a Japanese school again but this time for the whole year 2008 . I made a deal with my parents ; I would pay the school fees ( 6000 euros / 7k ) with my savings and they would pay for my living expenses ( 800 euros/month/900 dollars ) .
My father has always been an entrepreneur . Starting from scratch he managed to end up making a decent life with a nice car , a restaurant , and a really nice house that we were remodeling together on the week ends when he was not working at the restaurant . He and my mother sold the restaurant in 2005 and leaved of the profit of the sale until 2007 . Then my father decided that it was the right time to make a move and sold our house in France and bought a restaurant in Sarasota , Florida . Unfortunately , his management skills were not sufficient enough to maintain the business and 2 month ago they went back to France with nothing left but few bags of clothes . To conclude within 5 years they spent about 700k .
To go back to my story , in December 2008 my father gave me call and asked me if I would consider helping him in the business in USA . I decided that anything was better than going back to France and bought a flight ticket . Having no visa I had to fly back and forth two times in order to spend 6 month on the American territory . I was working as a waiter again and my paycheck was only the tips I was given . Then in June of last year I had to leave the US again and went back to France . I went back to the construction company for 6 month and I managed to be enrolled in a state college because I knew it was the only solution if I ever wanted to go back to USA . I came back in USA at the beginning of January this year . I worked as a waiter for my father , assuming sometimes the role of manager . Completely buried in debt , we were expelled from the restaurant in June . My parents went back to France with nothing .
I am currently living with my girlfriend . I can t work legally in us at least during the first year of my visa ( which means i will be able to apply for a part time job at the beginning of next year ) , therefore I have no income . I manage to give few French lessons to students but I usually never make more than 300 dollars a month , just enough for food and the bus .
My girlfriend believes in her 9 to 5 job and thinks I am completely crazy when I talk to her about the few ideas I have on my mind .
I have no particular skills . I do not know how to make a website . I have few ideas that could bring me a sufficient income , like flipping houses but my young age and the fact that I am not a citizen does not help to qualify for a loan . I know that there is lot of opportunities out there and I do not want to wait to be rich and successful .
If you have any suggestions about what I wrote or any questions , I will be more than happy to answer them .
Joshua
I am 22 years old . I just started my freshman year of college at the beginning of 2010 .
My story starts in 2005 when i graduated from high school in France .Following my graduation I went to college in September 2005 but in June 2006 I dropped out because of i was bored . Having a slight interest in the Japanese culture I decided to purchase a trip to japan during august 2006 in order to discover new ways to live my life . I also thought that this trip would help me figure out what i really wanted to do . I spent the whole august in Tokyo and when i got back to France in September 2006 , i decided that it was time for me to live my own life . I took a job and from September through December , worked in a construction company .
Meanwhile after a little research , in December 2006 I applied for a one year visa at the Japanese embassy .
My visa being granted , I departed and arrived in Tokyo during the first week of January 2007 . Not knowing the language , I decided to attempt a Japanese language school for 2 month . Having only 1500 euros on my bank account to pay for food , rent and school , i knew that i would have to work right away after those 2 month of school . I did not know anyone in town so I found a website were jobs advertisement were being posted in English . I sent out a dozen of resume , 11 companies did not even bother answering me back . Just before I was about to give up , I received a phone call from someone saying he was interested in my profile . I met him and even though my Japanese skills were low and he had almost no English skills at all , I managed to tell him that I wanted to work for him . Few days later later I got a call back from the guy telling me that I had the job .
The job was bartender/server in a really classy wine bar in Downtown Tokyo . I worked there until December 2007 .My average salary was about 2500 dollars . I went back to France for a month and arranged to get enrolled in a Japanese school again but this time for the whole year 2008 . I made a deal with my parents ; I would pay the school fees ( 6000 euros / 7k ) with my savings and they would pay for my living expenses ( 800 euros/month/900 dollars ) .
My father has always been an entrepreneur . Starting from scratch he managed to end up making a decent life with a nice car , a restaurant , and a really nice house that we were remodeling together on the week ends when he was not working at the restaurant . He and my mother sold the restaurant in 2005 and leaved of the profit of the sale until 2007 . Then my father decided that it was the right time to make a move and sold our house in France and bought a restaurant in Sarasota , Florida . Unfortunately , his management skills were not sufficient enough to maintain the business and 2 month ago they went back to France with nothing left but few bags of clothes . To conclude within 5 years they spent about 700k .
To go back to my story , in December 2008 my father gave me call and asked me if I would consider helping him in the business in USA . I decided that anything was better than going back to France and bought a flight ticket . Having no visa I had to fly back and forth two times in order to spend 6 month on the American territory . I was working as a waiter again and my paycheck was only the tips I was given . Then in June of last year I had to leave the US again and went back to France . I went back to the construction company for 6 month and I managed to be enrolled in a state college because I knew it was the only solution if I ever wanted to go back to USA . I came back in USA at the beginning of January this year . I worked as a waiter for my father , assuming sometimes the role of manager . Completely buried in debt , we were expelled from the restaurant in June . My parents went back to France with nothing .
I am currently living with my girlfriend . I can t work legally in us at least during the first year of my visa ( which means i will be able to apply for a part time job at the beginning of next year ) , therefore I have no income . I manage to give few French lessons to students but I usually never make more than 300 dollars a month , just enough for food and the bus .
My girlfriend believes in her 9 to 5 job and thinks I am completely crazy when I talk to her about the few ideas I have on my mind .
I have no particular skills . I do not know how to make a website . I have few ideas that could bring me a sufficient income , like flipping houses but my young age and the fact that I am not a citizen does not help to qualify for a loan . I know that there is lot of opportunities out there and I do not want to wait to be rich and successful .
If you have any suggestions about what I wrote or any questions , I will be more than happy to answer them .
Joshua
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
