The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Bird Can Fly... A Bird is Stuck in A Cage

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
My scripted life has become very comfortable. I'm killing it at work, getting excellent results and after a year of working a Job, I've become really good at what I do. I work as a digital marketer and i've gathered so many skills working for an agency and helping clients improve their business and sales.

And i enjoy it, it's not stressful and I have all the opportunity to focus on improving my skillset.

The only sad part is the trade-off of my time for money.

So early this month I setup this website for the aggregation of farm data for buyers who are interested in connecting with farms. Farmers also can use it to sell of their produce at one go from harvest.

It's a simple idea, and I got it while discussing with a friend of mine who owns a maize farm.

He's harvesting soon about 90 tons of maize and he doesn't want to handle marketing at all. Step in me with my experience in agriculture and online marketing infusing both together, i quickly setup a landing page for anyone interested in getting maize to fill a simple form.

Ran some display traffic on it, and i got close to 3 buyers. My friend is paying me 15% commission on this deal and it's almost like free money.

My goal is to replicate this, I already have another farm client for about 300 MT tons of soyabean. I should be closing that out next week.

So what I have right now setup is a simple website, 2 lead forms for both buyers and farmers of grain produce, i'm focusing on grains because I have experience in that arena and for exportation purposes as well.

I'm not thinking about leaving my job now but this deal i closed is about 4x commission is my monthly salary pretax. The 300mt commission is about 8x my salary, I'm working on transitioning fully into entrepreneurship gradually, i understand the risks so i'm planning for them and working towards getting more clients.

My goal is for the company to grow into an agregation portal something close to farmlead.com.

My thoughts on:

Logistics - logistics is a nightmare, i'm operating in nigeria, so it's tough keeping up with little to zero infrasctucture, but i work around this by partnering with farmers who have the capacity to deliver. soon i'll broker partnerships with logistics and give them a slice of the cut, but i need enough data to pursue this alternative.

Marketing - i'm not limiting my marketing to online alone, so i've partnered with a marketing and distribution company for food products, the owner is a young guy like me in his 30's (i'm 26) i love doing business with people i flow with especially partnerships. he handles marketing and gets a 30% cut from my own commission on all produce he sells for me. He was the one that got me a buyer for the soyabeans.

I have no company name yet, just using my personal bank account like an agent for the farms, but im setting this up.

No corporate cards yet, just a website name.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
i'm operating in nigeria,

How is the entrepreneurial climate there? I get a lot of correspondence from Nigeria, and NO, I'm not talking about the Nigerian Prince who needs to transfer $5M USD confidentially.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
How is the entrepreneurial climate there? I get a lot of correspondence from Nigeria, and NO, I'm not talking about the Nigerian Prince who needs to transfer $5M USD confidentially.

It's positive and rising, we've had a couple of successful tech companies over the past decade and good exits too, people now understand the advantages of owning a valuable business and it's positive effect on the community. It would only continue to grow, although mobile penetration and internet usage is still very low among the rural community, once adoption rises within these areas, it's definitely going to be one of the top destination for investors. When it comes to tech businesses and solutions in africa, east african countries are leading that race, but our greatest advantage is our population, just the sheer mass of people and possibilities in purchasing power is what attracts me to start a business within Nigeria.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.