The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 ways to piss off an entrepreneur...

Clay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 25, 2008
Townsend,MT
Entrepreneurs are constantly wanting to move forward - believe me I know the feeling. I hate staying in the same position and am always looking for new ways in which to progress with my projects whether they be on the internet or in “real life”. You might call entrepreneurs a little shortly strung (in reality patience is key), but nevertheless here are ways to annoy an entrepreneur:

1) Cut off the broadband: I can’t think of anything worse than not being able to access the internet. Without it, I wouldn’t be able to have any international networking and therefore I would have to start a proper offline business. And let’s face it, these can be irritating at the best of times, and can be costly. And don’t mention dial-up to any internet savvy person (just speaking about it sends shivers up my spine!)

2) Give ‘em a 9 to 5: Oh no what will they do without their morning lie in? Unlike the majority of the working population, entrepreneurs are able to have a reasonably flexible working schedule. So when they have to set an alarm to wake up early, tempers will be lost!

3) The dreaded boss: One of the main entrepreneurial benefits is the BMOB (Be My Own Boss). Once you take that away, the entrepreneur is left working under a gruelling dictator who sets your own lunch breaks and gives you special doggy treat bonus packages if you work extra hard.

4) Cell phone destruction: The cell phone (that’s a mobile for those who speak proper English!) is used by an active entrepreneur nearly 24/7. Whether they’re involving themselves in a business deal, chatting to their designer about new prospects, or giving their mothers laundry instructions, without a mobile telecommunicator an entrepreneur becomes a standard Joe who has no communication with anyone but those within a 100 metre radius. And that can’t be too good if you’re wanting global recognition?

5) Noise, noise, noise: Finally, the surest way to piss me off is to continually talk around me or have noises in the background whenever Im trying to do an important piece of work. As a general rule of thumb, I never have music on when I work, and I try and close all doors to shield out the family. Blasting heavy beats in my face, sister-brother bickering and non-peace will be sure to drive me over the edge.

#5 is my hot button, how about you guys and gals ?

:iagree: :cuss: :boxing_smiley:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
Re: 5 ways to piss off an entrapreneur...

You always can tell that someone is NOT an entrepreneur when they come to you with a list of reasons why they couldn't complete a task/job rather than a list of items that need to be overcome to complete the task/job. I had an operations manager who would spend more time saying "I can't..." than just figuring out how to "get it done."

ianmc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 29, 2008
Bethany, Missouri
Re: 5 ways to piss off an entrapreneur...

You always can tell that someone is NOT an entrepreneur when they come to you with a list of reasons why they couldn't complete a task/job rather than a list of items that need to be overcome to complete the task/job. I had an operations manager who would spend more time saying "I can't..." than just figuring out how to "get it done."
Good point Adam! I bet I spend 20% of my management time watching my employees and looking for that "can do" person. When I find someone that won;t be defeated no matter what, I put them on the fast track for promotion.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
6) Employees with dumb excuses: I can't do it, I can't make it in today because X, I couldn't get it done today because I was SO busy (doing nothing), etc

7) People with diarrhea of the mouth who take 10 minutes to say what I could say in one sentence.

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
Funny, I can relate to them all.......:smx4:
I am usually on the phone and computer at the same time doing business, ignoring my wife that is telling me to get a job while I ask her to be quiet so I can concentrate on what I am doing...........:rofl:

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
I can´t stand when somebody slows me down (even if it´s me for myself)

I can´t stand to repeating myself because people weren´t paying attention - which in my eyes is a sign of lacking respect.

Stupid people following stupid processes or "just doing their work" propably annoy me most.

Regarding a stupid boss: It is always up to you to choose your boss. It´s not only choosing a job, if it has to be a JOB, but also a boss or peers you can learn from. Unfortunately you can´t always tell from the beginning, but anyhow it is always your choice.

And, yes, cutting down broadband nowadays is like cutting of an arm.

T

TheGreatBear

8) Lend him money when he doesn't need it and call in his loans when he is desperately in need of cash

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
#9. Scoff at my entrepreneurial drive and laugh nervously at my ideas. Turn your personal inadequacy and jealousy into something that's meant to make me feel bad. Puh-lease...

Last edited:

CardinalsFan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 6, 2008
Charlotte
Quotes I get from my buddies:

"dude there are other things you should spend your money on." <- from the guy who just financed a 2007 mustang gt

"you spend too much time worrying about your ideas, why dont you just worry about getting a good job."

From the girlfriend:

"you are such a nerd"

"aaron get off the computer, just come drink/smoke"-allyson
"hmm...no"-me
"why not"-allyson
"because I'm not in the 9th grade and I have shit to do...and it's a Tuesday"-me

From my parents:

"Maybe you should tone down these ideas you have running around in your head, just focus on your grades. You know your father and I both graduated in 3 years."-Momma

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
Quotes I get from my buddies:

"dude there are other things you should spend your money on." <- from the guy who just financed a 2007 mustang gt

"you spend too much time worrying about your ideas, why dont you just worry about getting a good job."

From the girlfriend:

"you are such a nerd"

"hmm...no"-me
"why not"-allyson
"because I'm not in the 9th grade and I have shit to do...and it's a Tuesday"-me

From my parents:

"Maybe you should tone down these ideas you have running around in your head, just focus on your grades. You know your father and I both graduated in 3 years."-Momma

I had a college buddy who thought I was cheap for not buying lunch everyday in the cafeteria who said "You might just as well spend it. What you save now won't add up to anything" When I told him I had $30k in the bank his mouth dropped. That was the last time I heard anything about being cheap.

I also heard the "focus on school because that should be your full time job" from my high school guidance councilor despite the fact that my grades were good. She thought I was working too much. It pleased me when I looked into financial aid for college and found out that I personally made too much to qualify let alone my parents.

easymoney99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Aug 3, 2011
Entrepreneurs are constantly wanting to move forward - believe me I know the feeling. I hate staying in the same position and am always looking for new ways in which to progress with my projects whether they be on the internet or in “real lifeâ€. You might call entrepreneurs a little shortly strung (in reality patience is key), but nevertheless here are ways to annoy an entrepreneur:

1) Cut off the broadband: I can’t think of anything worse than not being able to access the internet. Without it, I wouldn’t be able to have any international networking and therefore I would have to start a proper offline business. And let’s face it, these can be irritating at the best of times, and can be costly. And don’t mention dial-up to any internet savvy person (just speaking about it sends shivers up my spine!)

2) Give ‘em a 9 to 5: Oh no what will they do without their morning lie in? Unlike the majority of the working population, entrepreneurs are able to have a reasonably flexible working schedule. So when they have to set an alarm to wake up early, tempers will be lost!

3) The dreaded boss: One of the main entrepreneurial benefits is the BMOB (Be My Own Boss). Once you take that away, the entrepreneur is left working under a gruelling dictator who sets your own lunch breaks and gives you special doggy treat bonus packages if you work extra hard.

4) Cell phone destruction: The cell phone (that’s a mobile for those who speak proper English!) is used by an active entrepreneur nearly 24/7. Whether they’re involving themselves in a business deal, chatting to their designer about new prospects, or giving their mothers laundry instructions, without a mobile telecommunicator an entrepreneur becomes a standard Joe who has no communication with anyone but those within a 100 metre radius. And that can’t be too good if you’re wanting global recognition?

5) Noise, noise, noise: Finally, the surest way to piss me off is to continually talk around me or have noises in the background whenever Im trying to do an important piece of work. As a general rule of thumb, I never have music on when I work, and I try and close all doors to shield out the family. Blasting heavy beats in my face, sister-brother bickering and non-peace will be sure to drive me over the edge.

6) Tell them, its too risky and that they should consider getting a "real" job: Every entrepreneur who is starting who is starting out will hear this from friends and family. Especially when they haven't earned money yet. But every entrepreneur is well versed in the reasons why a 9-5 is the RISKIEST way to get your income (for reasons we all could name).

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
This one I disagree with...

In my opinion, if you don't have a boss, you're not a successful entrepreneur...

Most successful entrepreneurs have a boss, whether that be a VC, shareholders, investors, customers, the board of directors, or someone else who makes constant demands because they have a vested interest in your business.

No way! No one tells me what to do. Customers surely aren't telling me how to run my business. They can give me insights on what needs to be implemented but I sure won't be listening to a customer any time soon!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I agree with the cell phone part.

Give me a cell, a good truck, and a pen and some paper and I'll do deals. Don't really need much else.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
What pisses me off are the people that come along and try to give you advice on how to do something or what you should be doing...when they themselves aren't doing very well at all.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
What pisses me off are the people that come along and try to give you advice on how to do something or what you should be doing...when they themselves aren't doing very well at all.

Oh gawd! This pisses me off the most. Or people who think they can offer advice to you when they have no experience or knowledge in what you are doing.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Give me a cell, a good truck, and a pen and some paper and I'll do deals. Don't really need much else.

You will feel the same way as soon as you get a matching tablet for that phone. :D

People who think every venture is a get rich quick scheme. Really? A legitimate busimess and they say this shit? Yeah keep working your job in your 80s... Its such a better option...

If I had to resort to a job it damn sure would be sales like real estate, insurance, or cars. Why? Because this can help my business.

UberTrader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jun 21, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Funny, I can relate to them all.......:smx4:
I am usually on the phone and computer at the same time doing business, ignoring my wife that is telling me to get a job while I ask her to be quiet so I can concentrate on what I am doing...........:rofl:
Hahahaa!! Good one. :rofl:

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
Oh gawd! This pisses me off the most. Or people who think they can offer advice to you when they have no experience or knowledge in what you are doing.

This happens to me quite often along with "you should go back to college", I already explained why I left college in the first place and I'm 110% better off without it.

TheBigPill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 6, 2012
whether that be a VC, shareholders, investors, customers, the board of directors, or someone else who makes constant demands because they have a vested interest in your business.

What you just described and an actual boss are two completely different entities.

It's amazing what can be done on a cell phone from virtually anywhere. Used to be you had to be in an office or at home. Now you can be at the park, gym beach etc and still get s#%t done.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"You didn't build that..."

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Elaborate, people doubting your creations?

**POLITICALLY NEUTRAL RESPONSE**

It's just U.S. Politics.

President Obama said anybody who is successful "didn't built that, someone else did".

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I like early hours. In college I found out that like 5 AM was the only time I could work on my writing without a bunch of wastoid douches begging me to go do something stupid or get drunk or whatever. Because they were all asleep. That was also the beginning of my coffee addiction. :tiphat: Oh god, coffee.

Coffee after waking up at 11 AM just doesn't feel the same as coffee very early in the morning.

Have to agree with the person who said the people that think anything Fastlane is some kind of scam. They'll say all this and then the next morning head off to work and help make some Fastlaner rich. Good job. I have no problem at all with the Slowlane lifestyle--or really even the Sidewalk or whatever. If it makes them happy I don't really care what they're doing.

But man, sanctimonious Slowlaners are just really hard to take.

I hate watching them talk to anyone beginning to develop that "itch" to better themselves in any way that involves massive self-directed action. It's like they enjoy making everyone just as miserable as they are. They have no problem working like dogs at the jobs they hate, but the second someone suggests work that requires real initiative it is all suddenly "not worth it," "a scam," "unrealistic," "too hard," "waste of time," whatever.

Offer a sanctimonious Slowlaner Task A or Task B. Task A pays $500 for a week of work, but they'll have someone telling them exactly what to do each step of the way. Task B pays $5000 for one day of really intense work, but no one cares whether they ever actually do it, and there won't be anyone there to tell them how. Mr. Sanctimonious Slowlaner will take Task A every time--even long after he has grown to hate it--and will laugh at you for even ever considering Task B. Blegh.

For those who don't believe in making things happen for themselves, there will always be some "qualification" they lack that prevents them from moving forward.

----

I'll add one: talking about yourself instead of the value you bring.

I was trained in writing, so I usually think of salesmanship within the frame of an author pitching his stuff to publishers. I had a mentor who was ace at teaching how to pitch. And he always made it clear that the FIRST thing you do is make it clear what it is you bring to the table. You don't say "I worked on this book for years in a small dank cave and it is literally my baby and sometimes I have found myself actually burping it, oh please love me please Mr. Publisher." You lead with the goods! If you can't write two killer sentences, who's going to want to see a whole book of your sentences?

There are so many situations where the person "pitching" himself or his product/service makes you listen to such long piles of irrelevant shit . . . OK, sure, if we were at a cafe hanging out I would probably care. I like chitchat. But good lord, don't bog a pitch down with details about what a super-duper uber-person you are! Every person is an uber-person these days. We are all high-powered and we have all accomplished so many improbable things. So instead of flogging me with your greatness, why not just say what it is you're offering that I WANT or NEED? Jeez. I'll worship you later.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I think the biggest thing that ticks me off the most is this common quote being kicked around:

"For someone to make that kind of money they obviously had to screw over a bunch of people along the way."

I have heard this in many forms. But the basic belief that people who make a lot of money had to deceive others or screw them out of it is what really ticks me off. My most common retort? "People don't become that successful without giving others what they want or need."

Jeremy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 25, 2011
From the girlfriend:

"you are such a nerd"

"hmm...no"-me
"why not"-allyson

If you are an adult and your girlfriend wants to blaze up on a Tuesday afternoon (I'm assuming by "smoke" you mean weed, not a cigarette), you need a new girlfriend NOW.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I like early hours. In college I found out that like 5 AM was the only time I could work on my writing without a bunch of wastoid douches begging me to go do something stupid or get drunk or whatever. Because they were all asleep. That was also the beginning of my coffee addiction. Oh god, coffee.

Coffee after waking up at 11 AM just doesn't feel the same as coffee very early in the morning.

Have to agree with the person who said the people that think anything Fastlane is some kind of scam. They'll say all this and then the next morning head off to work and help make some Fastlaner rich. Good job. I have no problem at all with the Slowlane lifestyle--or really even the Sidewalk or whatever. If it makes them happy I don't really care what they're doing.

But man, sanctimonious Slowlaners are just really hard to take.

I hate watching them talk to anyone beginning to develop that "itch" to better themselves in any way that involves massive self-directed action. It's like they enjoy making everyone just as miserable as they are. They have no problem working like dogs at the jobs they hate, but the second someone suggests work that requires real initiative it is all suddenly "not worth it," "a scam," "unrealistic," "too hard," "waste of time," whatever.

Offer a sanctimonious Slowlaner Task A or Task B. Task A pays $500 for a week of work, but they'll have someone telling them exactly what to do each step of the way. Task B pays $5000 for one day of really intense work, but no one cares whether they ever actually do it, and there won't be anyone there to tell them how. Mr. Sanctimonious Slowlaner will take Task A every time--even long after he has grown to hate it--and will laugh at you for even ever considering Task B. Blegh.

For those who don't believe in making things happen for themselves, there will always be some "qualification" they lack that prevents them from moving forward.

----

I'll add one: talking about yourself instead of the value you bring.

I was trained in writing, so I usually think of salesmanship within the frame of an author pitching his stuff to publishers. I had a mentor who was ace at teaching how to pitch. And he always made it clear that the FIRST thing you do is make it clear what it is you bring to the table. You don't say "I worked on this book for years in a small dank cave and it is literally my baby and sometimes I have found myself actually burping it, oh please love me please Mr. Publisher." You lead with the goods! If you can't write two killer sentences, who's going to want to see a whole book of your sentences?

There are so many situations where the person "pitching" himself or his product/service makes you listen to such long piles of irrelevant shit . . . OK, sure, if we were at a cafe hanging out I would probably care. I like chitchat. But good lord, don't bog a pitch down with details about what a super-duper uber-person you are! Every person is an uber-person these days. We are all high-powered and we have all accomplished so many improbable things. So instead of flogging me with your greatness, why not just say what it is you're offering that I WANT or NEED? Jeez. I'll worship you later.

This.

Speed + Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.