The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

4 Hot-Startup Tips from a Not-So-New Company

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Google Fiber has launched.

And with its launching, you'll find 4 Hot-Startup Tips embedded in the whole launch that you can translate to your startup...

Google Fiber: 4 Hot Startup Tips for Entrepreneurs

As always, if you enjoy, please comment or share.

Or, talk about the Google Fiber service -- would love to have it here but very doubtful seeing I live on a quasi-mountain. :eusa_naughty:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think fiberoptic stuff is great! I just think that it is too late to run the stuff at this point. Wireless 4g lte is already faster than anything I can get from my local cable modem company. This is why I went with clearwire. It is 4g and almost as fast as everything else out there, i think it is the future of the internet and will continue to speed up. From a provider standpoint, I see a much smaller investment per customer able to serve.

I think we will see 100-500mbps easy within the next few years from wireless towers.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Nice article. Like the strategy about charging $10 for pre-registering.

Using it on a startup could even fund your MVP. Launch landing page >> Charge pre-registering >> Hire devs >> Launch MVP.

The more I think about it the more I like it. Interesting... :rolleyes:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Great posts, MJ.

"Once your fiberhood qualifies, continue to rally your neighbors. The order of construction within your city will be determined by pre-registration rankings on September 9th.:

Genius

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Great article.

Measuring market demand/market need is kinda like moving slowly in an unknown dark room with a flashlight, step by step you get an idea of the consumer landscape. NOT measuring market demand/need (like investing a ton of money on business capital, inventory etc without even selling one product and hoping shit sells) is kinda like sprinting in a dark room without a flashlight.

Anytime a Fastlaner comes across an idea that has never been done before; they need to proceed with caution. Because maybe there is a REASON why it has never been done before. These huge corporations have millions of dollars at work in consumer research. This is why it's actually a good thing that your idea is already being done, you just do it better with better value and better service.

Google fiber is the kind of service that makes people pay up: The marginal benefit of the service greatly and obviously exceeds the marginal cost of the service. Make it obvious to your customer that the benefit(better value, cheaper than COX cable internet) of your product or service exceeds the cost($70/month). Make them say "Gee for X dollars I get this wow, let me in on that offer".

A Great product is one that people are HAPPY to pay for. So happy in fact that they let other people know why they are happy. They tell others about it. They don't get buyers remorse after. :rolleyes:

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Make it obvious to your customer that the benefit(better value, cheaper than COX cable internet)

Yea, the whole thing would fall apart if the product wasn't a superior value. No one would register and pay $10, no one would share, no one would care. That's the beauty of value and demand...

thinslicer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Nice article. Like the strategy about charging $10 for pre-registering.

Using it on a startup could even fund your MVP. Launch landing page >> Charge pre-registering >> Hire devs >> Launch MVP.

The more I think about it the more I like it. Interesting...

-I had the same thoughts
-Although, Google and established companies carry more weight with great reputation so customers are more willing to pre-register, this will be a different story if it's coming from a startup
-But at the same time......... kickstarter startups get hundreds of thousands in funding everyday :confused:
-Great article MJ!

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
In my part of the world people still think it's wise to conceal the price of a product you are about to buy from them. Every time you ask about the price they would simply "change the subject" or continue with demonstrating the features of the products. Their rational in so doing is that they don't want to scare off the buyer with the price right at the beginning. If they are wise enough they should know that stating the offer and the price right at the beginning would 1:) save them and their customers time and 2:) attractive offers and attractive prices might add to the benefits of the product.

The Confirmation of Demand part is brilliant. It fends off non serious buyers and it shows the market that your product is at a great demand and one needs to act fast before the product runs off.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.