• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

OFF-TOPIC 30 Quotes - All proven wrong

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by Giles, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Giles

Giles Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $81
    Found this to be an interesting read:
    It makes you wonder - what do we think is impossible today, that will be common place in the coming decades?

2. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $134
    I don't have the quotes, but three things that I was taught in school as absolute certainty were:

- There wasn't enough oil and we would be completely out by the mid 1970's. (technology and new reserves proved that false)

- The US would be on the metric system and so we had to all learn it and did NOT learn the current system. (I still struggle with how many cups in a quart and that type of thing - we just never were taught it)

- There would never be a computer smaller than a room...so it was absurd that anyone would ever have personal computers. (I just counted - our family of 3 has 7 personal computers)

3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,107
    Admin Post
    Great read Giles, proof that not one person determines a market. Speed++

4. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $175,112
    I often wonder if people still make claims like the ones above. I can somewhat understand the people making claims from the 1800's and early 1900's because they did not have any clue of how fast we can advance. But I can't imagine anyone making statements using the word "never" or "cannot be possible" given what they've seen in progress over just the past 5 or 10 years in all sciences.

5. kurtyordy

kurtyordy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $215
    Brad likes this.
  6. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $175,112
    The writers on Star Trek were amazing. I think of how similar our cell phones look to the communicators they had on the show in the 1960's. People watching the show must have thought they were impossible gimmicks. Do these look familiar?

7. GettingThere

GettingThere New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Imagine someone trying to explain this to the average person years ago...

Viruses are making their mark in industry too, where they are being used as spare parts and miniature tools

[​IMG]

An electron micrograph shows an ant holding a tiny microchip. Viruses can potentially be used to create even smaller, more efficient microchips.

in the growing field of nanotechnology. Nanotechnology is the term given to research and engineering done at an atomic or molecular level. Nano means one-billionth, and a nanometer is one-billionth of a meter.

Small is big in science. When Nobel Prize–winning physicist Richard Feynman declared in 1960, "There's plenty of room at the bottom,"28 he meant that technology can always get smaller. In 1946, when the first computer was constructed, it filled two thousand square feet of space and weighed fifty tons. Today the smallest microcomputer would fit on the head of a matchstick, and the smallest microchip, unveiled in 2003 by a Malaysian company, is no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence. But the smaller technology gets, the more necessary it becomes to study those organisms that perform complex tasks on that level every day—microbes.

"Scientists didn't invent nanoscience," says Angela Belcher, a pioneering materials chemist at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "Organisms have been doing if for a long time."29

JayKim likes this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,107
    Admin Post
    Bump!!

9. hatterasguy

hatterasguy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $294
    I love this one!

21. “The idea that cavalry will be replaced by these iron coaches is absurd. It is little short of treasonous.†— Comment of Aide-de-camp to Field Marshal Haig, at tank demonstration, 1916

Being an avid fan of Heinz Guderian the father of the panzer divisions and a large part of modern warefare. He had to deal with such comments and hard headed individuals, but they were largely silenced by his achevments on the battlefield. In the French champaign Guderians 10th panzer, and (off the top of my head) he had the 5th panzer and SS division "Das Reich", were able to slice through the French and British lines with such speed that Hitler and the German OKH were scared to death. The famous halt order resulted from this, and one little known French colonels attack... The French thought tanks were an infantry support weapon, except for one little known Colonel named Charles de Gaulle.

De Gaulle was the one commander the French had but failed to take advantage of early in the war, and as a result wasted there best forces. He was able to scare the German high command badly with his flank attack on Rommel's famous 7th Panzer Division, known as the "ghost division". Rommel had to personaly man a gun line of 88's to stop the French tanks.

At the time the German army was the finest in the world bar none.

10. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $365,107
    Admin Post
    Giles, do you have the source of this?

11. JayKim

JayKim Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $181

http://www.howstuffworks.com/teleportation.htm

Teleportation Milestone Achieved | LiveScience

They can do teleportation with atoms short distances.

"Scientists have come a bit closer to achieving the "Star Trek" feat of teleportation. No one is galaxy-hopping, or even beaming people around, but for the first time, information has been teleported between two separate atoms across a distance of a meter — about a yard."

12. JayKim

JayKim Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $181

HowStuffWorks "How Invisibility Cloaks Work"

Berkeley Researchers Create an “Invisibility Cloak†- US News and World Report

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ2FhX-BtEw]YouTube - Optical Camouflage[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-aLyiU_i0]YouTube - Invisibility a Reality?[/ame]

13. EastWind

EastWind Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $414
    NEVER say NEVER.

most of those quotes where saying NEVER.

14. Inphinity

Inphinity Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $150
    The only thing impossible, is impossibility.

15. acb123

acb123 PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $35
    I had read this list before and yes, I agree with prior post, never say never.

16. jhnsmith978

jhnsmith978 PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $33
    So hat you wanna say about these quotes...

17. GuestAcct-10

GuestAcct-10 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Add another one to that

'Next Christmas the iPod will be dead, finished, gone, kaput' - Sir Alan Sugar, February 2005

I would post a link to an article about it but I need 10 posts first

18. Giles

Giles Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $81
    Sorry dont have a source MJ

19. CarrieW

CarrieW Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,583
    bumped

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.