The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

28 unit deal analysis

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
Hello all,

This is a question for SteveO but I don't want to bog him down with questions ;]

Like many on this board I'm reading Voluccii's book about how to buy apt buildings. Although I'm not finished, I feel it's a good excercise to go through the motions to learn by doing. Another investor sent me this excel sheet. I'd like some feedback on any problems that can be seen based on this data...or any other input. I'm very new to this line of investing so I have alot of learning to do. I hope the cut and paste displays this correctly if not perhaps I can upload somewhere....here it goes, any feedback welcome.

cut and paste was horrific.

here's the excel file: http://www.freelispendens.com/28units.xls

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Fortunately I've got a deal with very similar numbers so it's kind of easy to compare to yours. First off, I would factor in 10% vacancy and hope for better. You should always try to play conservative with proformas. Also, the water/sewer costs looked a bit low to me; do you know what the actual -rate- is that the city charges? What are the rents for each unit type, and what is the mix of 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I am also new at evaluating numbers on a larger scale- so weigh my input accordingly!

Here a couple of points that look suspicious to me:

1. Why are you adding cable to gross income- or to income at all?
2. Utilities seems REALLY low for a 28 unit building.
3. Pest control also seems really low as an annual number.
4. What are you estimated your debt service to be?

...There is a spreadsheet floating around on this forum that is awesome and a lot more indepth. I can't remember who originally posted it, but if you PM me, I will email it to you- unless the original poster minds!

Good luck to you and keep us posted. :smxG: This is a learning experience for several of us!

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Why no increases in taxes, s&w, cable, etc?

Also, I agree on vacancy, although I use 8%, not 10%.

Finally, make sure what your taxes will be AFTER you buy.

If the current owner paid $750,000 for the place, and you're paying $1.5M, taxes may double.

lee_mre

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 31, 2007
I am also new at evaluating numbers on a larger scale- so weigh my input accordingly!

2. Utilities seems REALLY low for a 28 unit building.

What kind of utility rate would you expect to see for this...what is your rule of thumb?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
- When evaluating the deal, the first thing you need to ask yourself is whether it fits into your plan. Are you looking for a long-term investment? A short-term value play? Do you need cash flow? Or are you looking for capital gains? If you don't know what you're looking for (and why), you can't know if this particular property will meet you goals.

THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! People, especially newbies (myself included), start looking at deals and often forget to ask themselves this very question!

FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS.

Rep speed ++ to JScott.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I am confused over the spreadsheet. Are we looking at monthly or annual expenses? If the utilities are annual, I can't believe they would be that low. ...Even if they are monthly, I can't believe they'd be that low!

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Keeping in mind that every area is different, my utilities break down as follows (rough numbers):

Basic extended cable for all tenants + internet in office: 400.00
Telephone-------------------------------------------: 40.00
Water/sewer/gas/trash-------------------------------: 1,000.00
Electric (common areas, office, pool)------------------: 1,000.00

These are rough monthly actual averages for 28 units or so. Don't forget landscaping (another 300 per month) and misc expenses. Vacancies in this area are at around 8%, but I would assume 10%. I think you need a better spreadsheet to work off of, and some better numbers to use. What do you think?

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
thank you everyone for your replies.

this sheet was sent from another investor which i'm networking with. the funny thing is, my first thought was "is that a correct assumption for the vacancy rate?". i thought 10% was a rule of thumb as well but it seems you guys use around 8% or so. also, i'm not sure why the cable is listed as income as well. i found out this sheet is from a loan officer who probably sent it out to a few hundred people. my guess is he wanted the numbers to look nice.

i do appreciate your replies. this was a good first step into analyzing a possible deal. i've received a better spread sheet which i hope to get some data in for another deal analysis.

there were some great points made in here to help with understanding of apt complexes.

:)

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
when you say historical data do you mean by the building itself? what if this isn't provided? then would you go to surrounding buildings in that area? if so, where would this data be available...if not from the reports provided by the seller?

Wolfgang5150

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Orchard Park, NY
Ryan:
My first question is - what are the financials like from 2006, 2005 etc. That is a better place to start.................
Kevin S.
Orchard Park, NY

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!