The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

21 year old wannabe fights for freedom

Colton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Aug 8, 2017
WA, USA
Hey guys, my name's Colton, I turn 22 in a couple weeks and I start university in the fall. I joined this forum because I just finished TMF and I'm hoping that a community of entrepreneurs and fastlaners is the missing ingredient that will help me turn my life around.

Ok- so where I've been:

I became one of those quiet types in school with no real social life. I'm still mostly the same way... while my brothers/peers party every other night, I'm the shut-in who stays home working on projects that my family cannot understand or relate to.

I read the 4 hour work week when I was 19 and that was the spark that made me absolutely determined to own my own business. I obsessively applied the advice but was never successful. In hindsight, I think the only benefit of reading that book is that now I will never settle for a "slowlane" job.

Over the last few years I have grown increasingly frustrated and desperate to move out on my own terms. I've had a few jobs but I don't last long because not because I have an aversion to hard work but because I despise authority and the feeling of someone having ownership over me. The things I hate most are bosses and gatekeepers- I think this deep routed feeling comes from my experiences in school (long story). The thing that forces me out of bed in the morning is the burning and painful desire to show the people from my past that they underestimated me-hugely.

Dark but honest.

Where I'm going:

After spinning my wheels on the entrepreneurial front for several years (I HAVE NOT AND WILL NEVER GIVE UP) I have finally succumbed the the pressure and enrolled in university. When my business takes off, I will leave school for good but until then I should at least be moving forward and "doing something with my life" I am enraged by my own impotence and I no longer have the patience to sit still.

I have the next 1.5 months to do nothing except build a business, eat, sleep, and go the gym a couple of days per week. Truth be told I find it difficult to even go to the gym or eat any more because I don't want to even take a moment off from building my business.

I had an idea for a business that came to me midway through TMF . I've evaluated it against the criteria in the book and it seems to satisfy them all. I've began taking action to bring it into reality. It's going to be tough and I have a lot of questions still.

I hope that this forum will be the missing link to my success- I am tired of bouncing ideas off my mom who tells me to go to college, make friends, get a mediocre job and find "the one", and then live my ideal lifestyle when I am old enough to retire (my dad is on track to retire at 70). I need constructive criticism from people who understand that mediocre isn't an option.

I am determined to build relationships with people who I can trust my dreams with. If I find that here then I will contribute back to the community in every way that I can.

Any questions? Ask and you'll get honest answers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have finally succumbed the the pressure and enrolled in university.

Read UNSCRIPTED . Your fight for a life outside of the SCRIPT is about to get tougher.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction!

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
people who understand that mediocre isn't an option.

Mediocre is not an option!!

Damn right it's not.

1) Stop bouncing ideas off your mom. I'm sure she means well, but doesn't understand where you are coming from. Keep bouncing ideas off her, and you'll just come to resent her responses unnecessarily. Been there, done that lol.

2) Nothing wrong with college. Just make sure to take classes that help with your goals, whether you get a degree or not (don't elect for "underwater basket weaving" or some shit...ya know?)

3) Read Unscripted

4) Read all the Gold threads that apply to you

That's all I got.

Good intro, welcome.

Colton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Aug 8, 2017
WA, USA
Hi, thank you both for the responses. I just purchased Unscripted moments ago from Amazon, it will be here in 2 days. Am currently delving into the GOLD threads but I also have a lot of work to still get done today.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Hey Colton, Welcome to the forum, many of us faced similar situations as yourself so you aren't alone. When you go to university, be a sponge and soak as much information as you can - yes - University may not exactly teach us to be business-people, but, it will help with basic skills that are required in having business, so make the best of it.

All the best on your journey and kudos for making the switch to your freedom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...