The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2010 Berkshire Hathaway Meeting

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I get periodic news letters from Keith Cunningham - a business mentor of mine. Today he wrote about he and his wife/business partner's experience at the Berkshire Hathaway Meeting. He shared a few of his notes, which I found very interesting. Definitely gets the wheels turning...

[FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial MT Condensed Light,sans-serif]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]KEYS TO THE VAULT
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial MT Condensed Light,sans-serif]

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY MEETING
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Sandi and I just returned from Omaha and the annual Berkshire Hathaway meeting with Warren Buffett.

Although we have been shareholders for years, I never carved out the time to attend.... DUMB! We will be going back next year.

I have always thought that if you are going to listen to somebody, make sure they are eating their own cooking and have created truly sustainable success. Clearly, Warren Buffett falls into this category and his insights are crystal clear, simple and make sense..... here are a couple that I found particularly useful:

1.The key to getting rich is to create a structure or set of rules that minimizes the "Everyone else is doing it" syndrome. If everyone else is doing it, be wary!

2.The primary key to successful investing is not the size of your circle of competence, but rather knowing where the perimeter is. Too many people drift away from what they know and in the process move from investor to speculator.

3.The biggest single cause of the recent meltdown on Wall Street is the Business Schools and MBA Programs throughout the country. Teaching people to invest for the short term instead of owning a piece of the business will always produce gyrations and spikes in stock prices.

4.The most recent rise in the stock market is primarily a result of low interest rates.... people can't stand sitting on the sidelines making 2/10th of 1% on their money. Money has started flowing back into stocks because there are no alternatives and most investors can't sit and do nothing when there is nothing to do that makes sense.

5.Given the recent level of government intervention on top of the previously existing debt obligations in the United States, inflation is very likely. So are higher taxes. Inflation and higher taxes are the result of an the US inability to live within its means, so collecting and printing more money is the most likely answer.

6.The real culprit in the recent economic turmoil in the US is not the US Treasury department, it's Congress. Too much money has been spent in comparison to the amount being collected and this imbalance will result in even more pain.

7.The problem in Greece is that it doesn't have its own currency to print its way out of the problem.... Nor do any of the other members of the Euro. The Greece problem is likely to be repeated several times in the coming months.

8.Long term, Warren and his long time partner Charlie Munger are HUGE believers in the US economy, which is why they just spent $29 Billion buying a railroad. Railroads will be the primary mover of goods in the foreseeable future. The better the US economy, the more goods that need to be moved. This is a long term "all in" bet on the United States economy.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the spectacular investing results of Warren Buffett, consider this: In 1979, you could have purchased his stock for $290/share. Today it costs $120,000/share. You can read more about this incredible man and his investing philosophy by reading his annual Chairman's Letter to Shareholders.... You should read all of them (1977-2009):

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

For those of you addicted to speed, please remember that it took Warren 12 years (1950-1962) to make his first million.... The lesson: The goal is not to get rich.... The goal is to get rich and stay that way!

Best,

KJC + SWC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
I wonder what one million in 1962 was worth in today's money. Maybe he was moving fast for that time.

Overtaker

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 7, 2007
I wonder what one million in 1962 was worth in today's money. Maybe he was moving fast for that time.

Today that would be ~$7.2 million.

$1,000,000 today has the same buying power as $138,767 in 1962.

bls. gov /data/inflation_calculator.htm

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.