The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 Prebeginner Affiliate Marketing Tips

Marketing, social media, advertising

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Early in my learning process with AM, I get stuck multiple times due to advice given by multiple gurus. To those in the game, these are going to sound ultra novice and maybe not even worth mentioning. However, I figure if I got stuck on them, maybe someone else did or will, so I hope this helps.

1. Pick out something you are interested in to build your first niche-

For me this got me stuck for 2 reasons. The first being that it made me too emotionally invested in the niche, so doggone it I am going to make it work no matter what. Second, I am a borderline freak. What interests me does not interest many, and if it does, the things I am interested in are tough to monetize.

The analogy that comes to mind would be if you were advising me on opening a restaurant in town and told me to make the menu of all my favorite foods. Now that would be great for me, but what if I only like bologna and ketchup sandwiches, and chicken livers and mushrooms with rice.

Yes, I would do a market study, which is similar to keyword research, but I would already be emotionally invested in my menu now, because I already owned it in my head. The better advice in this analogy would be to find out what foods the majority of people in the community like, and then create my menu from that.

So for me, both mentally and emotionally, pursuing niches that I had interest in were a waste of time. The better advice is to find out what people are already wanting to buy, and then cater to them.

2. setup google reader and subscribe to news feeds about your topic.

This works well if you plan on having one niche and becoming an expert in said niche, but if you are trying to scale, then do not waste you time setting it up or reading. I think the gurus do this to deliberately keep you suckling on them, and to keep you small, but I could be wrong.

Better advice- find someone good to outsource your content creation to, and forget about the feeds. If you really want to learn, monitor your incoming content before it is posted, you will learn a ton.

Again, I know this will not be a big deal to many, but I got stuck both places, so I hope some others can avoid them.

Also, some here may disagree and have a different experience with both points, please share since I am in no way putting myself out as a guru.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

stlsmoore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 8, 2009
Saint Louis
Thanks for the tips man, it's crazy the many different ways you can generate income from AM. I actually dove in head first to the AM game about 3 months ago. I decided to start with my own product that I'm promoting via SEO methods. I'm close to finally breaking even and I'm finally starting to see my keywords I've been targeting move me to those number 1 spots in the search engines!

I'm most likely going to go towards the CPA route this summer as I believe this will be the best income vehicle for me personally. I'm already preparing my mindset to know that I may be in the red for a while until I learn from my mistakes to generate income from CPA.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Niche selection is no different that offering a fastlane service biz... it makes no difference what you like. The reality is, you do not matter in the equation.

Here you go...

The money verticals never change, because people never change.

Extract the emotions from each one of those, and you have yourself a winner.

Popular New Year's Resolutions on USA.gov

* Drink Less Alcohol
* Get a Better Education
* Get a Better Job
* Get Fit
* Health-e-Cards for Holidays and New Year
* Lose Weight
* Manage Debt
* Quit Smoking Now
* Reduce Stress at Work
* Reduce Stress Overall
* Save Money
* Take a Trip
* Volunteer to Help Others

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
2. setup google reader and subscribe to news feeds about your topic.

This works well if you plan on having one niche and becoming an expert in said niche, but if you are trying to scale, then do not waste you time setting it up or reading. I think the gurus do this to deliberately keep you suckling on them, and to keep you small, but I could be wrong.

While I agree with your point on outsourcing- get this. Posterous.com is a service that you can email posts to, and it'll automatically syndicate that post to blogger, twitter, facebook, wherever else you want it to go. So If you use Google Reader to subscribe to just a feed or two about your niche, then pick out a good article every other day or so, and send it to Posterous via email, it'll automatically update your sites, making them fresh to both Google and visitors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.