The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 Brothers Make $17.7 Million A Year Off 1976 NBA TV Rights Deal

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
When the NBA and ABA merged in 1976, four of the remaining six ABA teams were absorbed by the NBA. The NBA offered the other two teams a $3 million settlement, an amount that was accepted by the owner of the Kentucky Colonels. The owners of the Spirits of St. Louis, brothers Ozzie and Daniel Silna, turned down the offer.

Instead, the Silna brothers negotiated a deal that would pay them one-seventh of the "visual media" rights for each of the other four ABA teams "in perpetuity."

http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-...test-sports-business-deal-of-all-time-2013-11

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Luck more then anything. At that time no one knew how big the NBA was going to be or the growth of its broadcast.

So did anyone know that Facebook would become something? Or Google? Or Chobani, ect. There's a million examples of companies and products that past the expectation of "how big they would become"

From that logic, nobody should ever roll the dice on any idea. Ever. And, no VC should ever invest in any start-up.

Good for those brothers! What a deal.

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013
So did anyone know that Facebook would become something? Or Google? Or Chobani, ect. There's a million examples of companies and products that past the expectation of "how big they would become"

From that logic, nobody should ever roll the dice on any idea. Ever. And, no VC should ever invest in any start-up.

Good for those brothers! What a deal.

What the hell are you talking about? NO, they didnt know it would be big. Google wanted to sell early on. Mark stated he didnt know. I'm glad they rolled the dice and took a chance. I was supporting them

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Regul8or

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 30, 2013
Some luck for sure, but they must have known that the NBA would be big because they had just absorbed all of the ABA teams, which increases their market share. Good for them.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I would've told NBA to suck an egg...you're gonna pay me, and, my family forever. We aren't doing a deal, shove the $500 million to you know where, thanks.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I would've told NBA to suck an egg...you're gonna pay me, and, my family for generations forever. They are going to remember our names into perpetuity. We aren't doing a deal, shove the $500 million to you know where, thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.