The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 and I'll Retire The Day I'm Twice That

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
Seems my first copy isn't too bad after all
Hey my name is John,
I'm just another 17-year old who wants to merge onto the fast lane. I don't have connections, an overflowing war chest, or even a driver's license but I'll hitchhike my way until I get there.

Not Exactly Starting from the Botton
I haven't done much in my 17 years but now I have a YouTube network and ~$500 to my name. On top of this, I've been scouring self-improvement books, business books, business forums, and every piece of knowledge I can get my hands on.
Overall, I don't have much but if Walton can turn $25,000 into Wallmart, I sure as hell can turn $500 into a few thousand.
In Term Goals
First things first, I have to get my license.
Besides reading books and adopting a money-making mentality, I've started learning some valuable skills( coding, AdWords, brand building, writing) through Udemy and will continue to learn. I plan to get my moneys worth out of each of these skills by building multiple "passive" income businesses. I'm setting a strong foundation so that I could build a beautiful tower in my 20's.
A lot to learn
Reading is only going to serve me so much, I have to do. In the coming days, weeks, and months I hope to launch a dropshipping company, revitalize my YouTube network, and build a web-site creation business. It's going to be more than a challenge to keep all these plates spinning, but It'll give me capital and more importantly raw experience.
Small Kid, Big Dreams
I've got a dream, and it has to become reality. I'll stake my ego, life, and future on it.

Other Stuff
I'm set to attend a top 30 and if I'm lucky top 20 US university next year and I'm planning to major in business and finance. Would you recommend doing that?

I'll also be interning at a few places and I'd be thrilled if I could get some advice.

Lastly, I think it will be very important for me to learn sales and marketing. I heard that affiliate marketing or even a pyramid scheme would be a great way to learn. Should I try those things out or are there other opportunities?

With $400 let's see what I can do.

What advice do you have?
How do I learn to write copy?
Tips for running a business?
Any valuable skills I should Learn?

Thank you so much!
This forum will probably become the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm set to attend a top 30 and if I'm lucky top 20 US university next year and I'm planning to major in business and finance. Would you recommend doing that?

Depends.

A lot of major universities have deteriorated into indoctrination camps and day-care centers.

I'm just another 17-year old who wants to merge onto the fast lane.

Have you read the book or are you just repeating that word because it is used here?

Nonetheless, I commend you on your drive.

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
Depends.

A lot of major universities have deteriorated into indoctrination camps and day-care centers.

I won't let the brainwashing agenda get to me. For the most part, I'll use college for credibility, networking, and a safety net.

Have you read the book or are you just repeating that word because it is used here?

Nonetheless, I commend you on your drive.

Haven't read it yet but it's next on my list.

Really appreciate it. I hope to give back to the forum in the future.

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Firstly, I wish I had your drive and mindset when I was 17 so good on you.

One word - Focus. You've mentioned a lot of different skills you want to pursue. Having a lot of spinning plates will end up being your downfall.

You are young and you have plenty of time so if you're not self-aware enough to know what your strengths are then there is merit is trying/learning new things to see what you are good at.

When you find that one thing that you are good at, drop the rest and triple down on it.

PS. Read the book!

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
When I was 17 I had no idea what I wanted in life so college was a smart move. Now I'm in college and I know I want to run my own business(es) in the future. I will not fall into the corporate trap. If I had the mindset at 17 that I have now I wouldn't have gone to college and put myself $70,000 in debt.

But what do I know I'm just a broke college kid with bad grades.

Whatever you do make sure you read the book.

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
When I was 17 I had no idea what I wanted in life so college was a smart move. Now I'm in college and I know I want to run my own business(es) in the future. I will not fall into the corporate trap. If I had the mindset at 17 that I have now I wouldn't have gone to college and put myself $70,000 in debt.

But what do I know I'm just a broke college kid with bad grades.

Whatever you do make sure you read the book.
For sure dude thanks for the major advice. Sounds like the book it at least at $70,000 value.

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
Firstly, I wish I had your drive and mindset when I was 17 so good on you.

One word - Focus. You've mentioned a lot of different skills you want to pursue. Having a lot of spinning plates will end up being your downfall.

You are young and you have plenty of time so if you're not self-aware enough to know what your strengths are then there is merit is trying/learning new things to see what you are good at.

When you find that one thing that you are good at, drop the rest and triple down on it.

PS. Read the book!
Yeah I'm really looking for those one or two strengths but I want to get a feel for everything first. Thanks for support man!

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
For sure dude thanks for the major advice. Sounds like the book it at least at $70,000 value.

Don't just take my word for it. I know some guys say college was the best choice they could have made.

I could honestly make an argument that college has helped me develop into the person that I need to become in order to succeed in business. It has helped me find myself and figure out what I want to do and who I want to be. I have learned so much from the college environment and all of the people around. I have met a lot of great people and have learned what it feels like to be on my own and make my own decisions. If I hadn't gone to college would I have found TMF ? Would I be on a completely different path? Would I still be in my parents house playing video games and watching sports all day, hanging with my high school buds that aren't striving for success?

I have no idea. Maybe going to college was the best decision I've ever made and now I just take it for granted.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Haven't read it yet but it's next on my list.

Lesson #1: Don't parrot words you hear just because you hear other people saying them. Because you haven't read the book, you have no idea what "Fastlane" even means. Instead, you assumed -- a false premise will lead to a false result. I thought this was evident in your post.

Read the book and then come back and re-read your introduction post.

Most of your questions will have been answered, and perhaps, you'll have some new revelations.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy it and more importantly, it gives you some clearer direction.

Welcome to our little neck of the woods. :cool:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

Funny story. I was a finance major and spent 4 years learning about how derivatives and synthetic securities were the best thing since sliced bread. Then I graduated. In 2008.

Fran_Montoya

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2016
This is pretty much exactly what professional athletes go through. But there is an added angle here since society is harsher on aging women, and ballet is an art form that not only emphasizes athleticism but also beauty and grace. It must be hard for a woman to not only feel old and physically incapable, but also less beautiful.

C Scott

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Nov 21, 2016
Good luck! College is what you make of it. If you decide to go, immerse yourself in interesting courses and look for opportunities to learn. If you don't go, there are great places to learn for free: EdX, Coursera, Khan Academy.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

This forum will probably become the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.

this forum won't make you rich by itself.

the greatest thing for you at 17 is your energy as a young adult.

but you have to use this energy in the right way

at 17 , young guys spend their time pursuing women, partying and doing others useless things

if you really want to be free at 30 like you say, you 'd better behave in others ways .

Napoleon Hill says in his famous book TAGR ( chapter about sexual transmutation ) that most people don't achieve anything worthwhile before age 40.

because they spend their energy in useless things : bars, women, party,

whereas this energy should be focused on working on their projects.

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA
I'll also be interning at a few places and I'd be thrilled if I could get some advice.

If you decide to go to college, I'd highly recommend reading and implementing Cal Newport's book How to become a straight A student (after you read Millionaire Fastlane of course). Basically, don't take too many classes any one semester. Take only one hard class per semester. Treat your classes like a job - don't skip class for stupid reasons, attend every office hours session for the hard class.

Limit yourself to one major. This keeps your course load manageable. The most attractive thing about double majors is that they give the appearance of multiple skills - for instance, if someone majors in economics and Spanish, you think "hey, this person speaks Spanish!" But you could always just teach yourself Spanish, become proficient/fluent, and list that separately on your resume.

Major in the hardest thing in your chosen field. Since you only have the one major, you'll want it to be one that can be applied to the most industries. Statistics and mathematics are usually harder (and more generalizable) than economics. So you could major in stats but choose electives that pertain to economics.

All of this probably seemed like non-fastlane advice, geared only towards helping you do well in college. But here's the thing: if you approach college like this, you’ll be working on school no more than 30 hours per week. That leaves you with 138 hours. Subtract sleep (8hs/night), eating (2hrs/day), exercise (1hr/day), and leisure (2hrs/day) and you still have 47 hours - the equivalent of a full-time job. Use this time well. Learn languages, learn more programming. Get a different off-campus job/internship every year so you can get to know different industries and identify their un-met needs. Start businesses that meet those needs, and if/when they fail, take the time to determine why. Grow the business that works. Write a book and learn how to market it...by marketing it.

In a nutshell, if you do most everything I didn’t, and don’t do most of what I did, you should be set Haha, but seriously, one thing I’ve learned from this forum is that we can use our time to not just set ourselves up well for the future, but also be growing as an entrepreneur now. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
If you decide to go to college, I'd highly recommend reading and implementing Cal Newport's book How to become a straight A student (after you read Millionaire Fastlane of course). Basically, don't take too many classes any one semester. Take only one hard class per semester. Treat your classes like a job - don't skip class for stupid reasons, attend every office hours session for the hard class.

Limit yourself to one major. This keeps your course load manageable. The most attractive thing about double majors is that they give the appearance of multiple skills - for instance, if someone majors in economics and Spanish, you think "hey, this person speaks Spanish!" But you could always just teach yourself Spanish, become proficient/fluent, and list that separately on your resume.

Major in the hardest thing in your chosen field. Since you only have the one major, you'll want it to be one that can be applied to the most industries. Statistics and mathematics are usually harder (and more generalizable) than economics. So you could major in stats but choose electives that pertain to economics.

All of this probably seemed like non-fastlane advice, geared only towards helping you do well in college. But here's the thing: if you approach college like this, you’ll be working on school no more than 30 hours per week. That leaves you with 138 hours. Subtract sleep (8hs/night), eating (2hrs/day), exercise (1hr/day), and leisure (2hrs/day) and you still have 47 hours - the equivalent of a full-time job. Use this time well. Learn languages, learn more programming. Get a different off-campus job/internship every year so you can get to know different industries and identify their un-met needs. Start businesses that meet those needs, and if/when they fail, take the time to determine why. Grow the business that works. Write a book and learn how to market it...by marketing it.

In a nutshell, if you do most everything I didn’t, and don’t do most of what I did, you should be set Haha, but seriously, one thing I’ve learned from this forum is that we can use our time to not just set ourselves up well for the future, but also be growing as an entrepreneur now. Best of luck and keep us posted!
I can't thank you enough for this advice, it's just so great. I'm about to get to TMF but right after I finish it, I'll be sure to check out your recommendation. Also, I'm starting to hear back from colleges but I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial to major like you said in math or get a business degree like I intended to at a top 10 business school (Reach: Stern, Ross, Cornell Target: USC, Middlebury). I've also heard that Babson is ranked #1 for entrepreneurship but I've heard that's a bs degree. Wherever I go, I'm definitely going to continue my small businesses and try to build something big. Really appreciate the advice man!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some worthwhile degrees that could support your entrepreneurial goals are marketing, sales, business management, finance, and gender studies. (OK, not the last one.)

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Rep'd for ambition
Rep'd for goals
Rep'd for a great intro
Rep'd for questioning yourself (in a good way)

P.S: Three years on the fastlane is like 30 in college.

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
Some worthwhile degrees that could support your entrepreneurial goals are marketing, sales, business management, finance, and gender studies. (OK, not the last one.)
I'm really looking into finance and management now, but your're really getting me interested in the last one :)

Kujo.show

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 21, 2016
Rep'd for ambition
Rep'd for goals
Rep'd for a great intro
Rep'd for questioning yourself (in a good way)

P.S: Three years on the fastlane is like 30 in college.
Rep'd for the inspiration. I'm lovin' it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...