The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I created a clothing website but closed it vs selling.

Idea threads

Business4Life

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 18, 2024
In 2020-2021, I created an LGBT clothing site with a friend as a joke, and to our surprise, it did very well. We ended up in the top 3 in France on Google thanks to SEO.

Since it was originally just a joke, and we're not actively involved in that community, we decided to shut it down... We also had other projects on the side.

However, we had a lot of orders...

I still own the domain name, but the site hasn't existed since then. Do you think it's a good idea to reopen it?
The thing is that I don't know if we have to make the SEO from 0 now.

Thanks in advance! If any of you would like to reopen it with me, it could be fun!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
As it was a joke let me tell you about similar thing in England 20 years ago.

A 30 year old kitchen salesman was in the pub with a friend who then bet him £1 he couldn't start an online company selling white goods. (Fridges, washing machines that sort of thing)

In other words it was just the usual pub pisstake between friends.

Anyway AO, as it's now called, does £100 million turnover a month (£1.2 billion a year) and is valued at £500 million with over 3000 employees.

He had zero interest in washing machines and fridges or even starting a business. If his friend hadn't made the joke and just got another pint, he would have just staggered home and gone to work the next day without even thinking about it.

Food for thought.

Dan

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Close it, cancel the hosting and domain registration, change the login to a long password and throw it away so you forget it

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Close it, cancel the hosting and domain registration, change the login to a long password and throw it away so you forget it
This.

I once started a business to help with stress.

It did well but I shut the business down a couple weeks into it.

Why?

Because I was getting so many stupid and angry customer emails from the most stressed people on the planet.

Pick your market carefully.

Pick a market you love and want to help.

Pick a business you hope succeeds.

You will be married to any business you do for years. You can pick literally any business you want. Pick wisely.

Also you have no idea if starting this again will even work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why not reopen it for 3 - 6 months, get a nice track record of sales/profits, and then sell it?

I don't know what your numbers are/were, but you could have thrown away $50,000 or some other sum of money that might make a huge difference in your life going forward. The LGBT+ community has entrepreneurs too (here's a notable one that has impressed me mightily), so it might be just the perfect thing a new entrepreneur was looking for.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
In 2020-2021, I created an LGBT clothing site with a friend as a joke, and to our surprise, it did very well. We ended up in the top 3 in France on Google thanks to SEO.

Since it was originally just a joke, and we're not actively involved in that community, we decided to shut it down... We also had other projects on the side.

However, we had a lot of orders...

I still own the domain name, but the site hasn't existed since then. Do you think it's a good idea to reopen it?
The thing is that I don't know if we have to make the SEO from 0 now.

Thanks in advance! If any of you would like to reopen it with me, it could be fun!
If I'm understanding this correctly, you shut something down that was successful because... what, you're not gay?

And now you're asking strangers if it makes sense to relaunch something that was making you money. Lol this thread is hella goofy.

Yes, your SEO probably suffered. But quite frankly, that probably doesn't matter if you managed to get top 3. If you want that cash flow back, I'd encourage you to relaunch, and stop worrying about how much your SEO was effected. I'd be more worried about how "the community" (AKA: your customers) will respond to your sudden vanish, and your sudden reappearance.

Luckily for you, however, people are brand loyal - especially "in that community" - because most companies only support them 1-3 months/year.

But, as a word of advice moving forward, you probably shouldn't shit on your primary market.

Cheers.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Lets talk. I know a market in Germany, not LGBT, that can be quite lucrative and is one of the business ideas I had myself.

You have a PN.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Business4Life -- sorry you don't get to post content here, get everyone's time and opinion, and then delete the content later, hence, wasting everyone's time.

If you want your account deleted, message the forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.