The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1 game on Steam, Dropped out 3months before graduation, 1 year travel in S-E Asia

MadKyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Apr 28, 2016
Hey there, my name is Kyle and I'm French from Paris.

I'm now 24yo and my professional domain is Programming (websites, apps and video games).

TLDR: I'm now working on finishing a video-game app, and I plan on making it my fastlane, while living a more than frugual lifestyle because of no money. (but I don't care, I just need food, wifi, and a gym, and I'll make you a product.)

Here's my story:

Right after high-school I decided I wanted to pursue programming in a school for 5 years, I did that. All along my studies I did internship and part-times in programming (never ever worked a job that was not IT related, don't know if I missed out).

Even though I had very good salary (for my age and qualification), I soon understood I wouldn't be able to do that all my life, because it was sucking my soul off. I was 21yo when I was already searching for the event that would bring me the millions to escape what seemed like jail. It was that time I, after 2years in corporate environment, I saw the slowlane for what it was.
Full of hope and inspired by the http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/, I started thinking thousands of ideas that would give me rapid salvation.

During my 3rd year in school, I was approached by a brand new game-studio with an offer to partner with them as the IT guy for their very first video game. I saw this as an opportunity to finally work for myself and unlock the gates of the fastlane.

I worked about 2years on this game, with the team of game-studio (we were a total of 6 people in the team, I was the only person receiving no salary for my work, only being paid in profit).

Finally the game Isbarah saw the light of day (http://store.steampowered.com/app/333510/) during my fifth and final year in school.
I was already very pessimistic about the outcome of the game, due to the poor working experience I had while making the game, so I didn't put much hope on it.

In order to graduate, I had to do a 6month internship, which I choose to do in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life at that point, so I thought traveling in an exotic country wouldn't be a bad idea. (It was my second best decision of my life).

First time in Asia, new scenery, new work, new people, new friends, new identity, I felt reborn and hopeful about life again. Work was okay, my lifestyle was okay, everything was okay, I started to be content with myself.
Then as time went on, the frustration of the slowlane started showing its ugly face again, there was petty drama in my relationships, and my manager started becoming a pain in the a$$.
3 month in the internship, I decided to take radical action to take control of my life, and left the internship (making me a dropout from my school in France), left my local friends with no other explication than "I'm gonna do my own thing", and took a plane to Thailand and left the country.

It was my first time being outside of any "designed road", I had no friends, no plans and little money. I just heard a lot about Chiang Mai and the digital nomads, and decided to give it a try. I went there, did freelance work on Upwork to survive, went to the gym, met new people, and worked on side projects.
Life was going so well and easy, 9months after I moved to Chiang Mai, I started to get bored and left my happy and easy life to come back to Paris.

Now it's been a weeks since I went back to Paris, I live in my father's basement, and I am working on finishing a project I started while in Chiang Mai: a new video-game app that I plan on making money from.

I have no money now and I see my school friends with diploma, work, appartment, and income.
Give me 3 more months to monetize my game, if it works HURRAY !

If it fails, who cares ? What's the worst outcome ? I will have to do some freelance work again, and try another project ? I already tasted what a "good life with no worries" was, and I left it by choice.

Now I'm in to achieve, and become rich.

Kyle

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Damn, can't knock the dedication here!
Just like you, a programming job at a company sucked the passion out of me.
It's great you can do your own thing now.

Freelancing as a "money buffer" is a great way to take risk to create a game!

The game looks quite original and unique!
If the game does good you could make a second one, with more 3D graphics, but still in 2D platform.
I personally like the Super Smash Bros kinda look more than the New Super Mario Bros if you get what I mean.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm an avid Steam fan/user. Let me know when the game's available and maybe I'll check it out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...