The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1/12th of a year at a time - a progress thread

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Supplemental check-ins to my 1/5/10. One year feels too nebulous, and 52 weeks feels too overwhelming. 12 feels comfy.

1 of 12 - 2023

I'm an introvert, so I've been making it a point to reach out and interact with more people.
My goal is to talk to at least 1-2 different/new people every week.
  • I've mostly been talking to intended audience members of a book I'm working on. The more people I talk to, the more I consider putting together a podcast-type thing to help more people faster while working on my book. I think I need to talk to a few more people and do a little more research to break the overarching topic into digestible chunks and come up with solid interview questions. At the moment discussions have been naturally flowing and unguided, which isn't bad for reaffirming the need for what I'm working towards and getting more insight, but I don't think the totally free-flowing conversations would be super helpful to others.
  • I've also been trying to get outside of PhD-land more and meet entrepreneurs. I've had a few lovely and invaluable chats with people on this forum, and I look forward to chatting with more of you.
I've been struggling to get myself back on solid ground after last year's chaos. I've been feeling lost.
  • Looking back on my 20's, I don't know how I did it all - college, outdoors adventures, volunteering, exercising regularly. And I had energy and drive. I feel like I lost my sense of meaning and purpose. I still know I want to leave the world a better place than I found it, but the fire behind it has dwindled. Things started turning up this week though! I'm back in my hometown visiting family. Without all of the chores and distractions I usually have, I've been able to focus more on my 9-5 work and it feels good. Even though I hate being in a 9-5, I'm learning Python and starting to come up with project ideas that my mentors like. It feels good to know that I'm still growing. Visiting my family has also helped rekindle the fire behind my "why." I remember clearly at the age of 11 or 12 realizing how miserable, self-centered, and ignorant my family is and not wanting to be like them. I wanted to be better and do better, and that drove me all the way through my Master's. Having been away for so long and being put down by the academic system, I lost touch with myself. It feels good to feel reconnected to my meaning and purpose.
  • Identity is powerful. I don't think I actively think about this a lot, but the subconscious mind is a mystical thing. My initial avatar on this forum was a picture from my graduation. I just switched it to a picture from a climbing trip in Yosemite. It's surprising how much this switch has affected my mindset. The graduation photo represented my academic servitude, the Yosemite photo represents the freedom I yearn for. I feel more focused on moving forward and less stuck in the past. From a simple photo switch!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Supplemental check-ins to my 1/5/10. One year feels too nebulous, and 52 weeks feels too overwhelming. 12 feels comfy.

1 of 12 - 2023

I'm an introvert, so I've been making it a point to reach out and interact with more people.
My goal is to talk to at least 1-2 different/new people every week.
  • I've mostly been talking to intended audience members of a book I'm working on. The more people I talk to, the more I consider putting together a podcast-type thing to help more people faster while working on my book. I think I need to talk to a few more people and do a little more research to break the overarching topic into digestible chunks and come up with solid interview questions. At the moment discussions have been naturally flowing and unguided, which isn't bad for reaffirming the need for what I'm working towards and getting more insight, but I don't think the totally free-flowing conversations would be super helpful to others.
  • I've also been trying to get outside of PhD-land more and meet entrepreneurs. I've had a few lovely and invaluable chats with people on this forum, and I look forward to chatting with more of you.
I've been struggling to get myself back on solid ground after last year's chaos. I've been feeling lost.
  • Looking back on my 20's, I don't know how I did it all - college, outdoors adventures, volunteering, exercising regularly. And I had energy and drive. I feel like I lost my sense of meaning and purpose. I still know I want to leave the world a better place than I found it, but the fire behind it has dwindled. Things started turning up this week though! I'm back in my hometown visiting family. Without all of the chores and distractions I usually have, I've been able to focus more on my 9-5 work and it feels good. Even though I hate being in a 9-5, I'm learning Python and starting to come up with project ideas that my mentors like. It feels good to know that I'm still growing. Visiting my family has also helped rekindle the fire behind my "why." I remember clearly at the age of 11 or 12 realizing how miserable, self-centered, and ignorant my family is and not wanting to be like them. I wanted to be better and do better, and that drove me all the way through my Master's. Having been away for so long and being put down by the academic system, I lost touch with myself. It feels good to feel reconnected to my meaning and purpose.
  • Identity is powerful. I don't think I actively think about this a lot, but the subconscious mind is a mystical thing. My initial avatar on this forum was a picture from my graduation. I just switched it to a picture from a climbing trip in Yosemite. It's surprising how much this switch has affected my mindset. The graduation photo represented my academic servitude, the Yosemite photo represents the freedom I yearn for. I feel more focused on moving forward and less stuck in the past. From a simple photo switch!
The ability to not bing stuck in the past comes out of awarness and a spiritual self-development journey...

There are a ton of podcast, so that is request for them, it is a good business model, and you're also going to learn how to influence people and make them like your job... It's a good idea , and the opportunity of making money with podcasts is real... A very good way of making a podcast is being an influencer in the first place, so that people are interested... study social media dinamycs and start working towards making both useful and entertaining videos, grow a following and make your podcasts in the meantime...

cheers :)

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
The ability to not bing stuck in the past comes out of awarness and a spiritual self-development journey...

There are a ton of podcast, so that is request for them, it is a good business model, and you're also going to learn how to influence people and make them like your job... It's a good idea , and the opportunity of making money with podcasts is real... A very good way of making a podcast is being an influencer in the first place, so that people are interested... study social media dinamycs and start working towards making both useful and entertaining videos, grow a following and make your podcasts in the meantime...

cheers :)
Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions! I certainly have much to learn.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Sounds awesome!

I think a podcast could be cool, to build audience and get feedback even before
the book is written.

I've also changed a profile photo to a place I really enjoyed:)

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions! I certainly have much to learn.

Record Yourself everyday and build your personal brand, then invest in more quality equiment and buid high quality following, even 500 followers can be useful :)

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Love this format of 1/12!

I feel the exact same way, had so much drive and energy, was so inspired and motivated and passionate in my 20s; and now... um, it's kind of lost but gets rekindled for short periods of time every now and then.

I also remember around the same age thinking to myself that I'm not going to be like my family. But I think as I reached close to high school graduation, my "dream" was to be complacent and work a bare-minimum 9-5 job to live a bare-minimum lifestyle. I of course wanted freedom but I didn't know there were other ways and at that time, I was determined to not go beyond my bachelor's because I was so sick of schooling.

Anyway, very good to read your post! I love the idea of a podcast to reach more people. I've had that idea too... Just do it hehe ;)

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’m here to add to the “I also had more energy” I worked two jobs, worked out, had time to volunteer at a UN directors board… now I’m a stay-at-home step-mom (lol), my husband works from home, and we laugh at even commuting to work, remember when we woke up at 5 and came back home at 8pm… The pandemic changed so many things (my current situation is a byproduct of a ton of things the pandemic changed).

I think @Tammyanne can give you tips on how to connect and interview people, she has done her fair share! <3

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Sounds awesome!

I think a podcast could be cool, to build audience and get feedback even before
the book is written.

I've also changed a profile photo to a place I really enjoyed:)
Thank you!
That's a beautiful photo! Where was it taken?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Record Yourself everyday and build your personal brand, then invest in more quality equiment and buid high quality following, even 500 followers can be useful :)
Thanks :) I definitely need to practice speaking under the pressure of being recorded. I'm expecting a slow following, but it's reassuring to know/remember that even a few hundred followers can be considered a win.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Love this format of 1/12!

I feel the exact same way, had so much drive and energy, was so inspired and motivated and passionate in my 20s; and now... um, it's kind of lost but gets rekindled for short periods of time every now and then.

I also remember around the same age thinking to myself that I'm not going to be like my family. But I think as I reached close to high school graduation, my "dream" was to be complacent and work a bare-minimum 9-5 job to live a bare-minimum lifestyle. I of course wanted freedom but I didn't know there were other ways and at that time, I was determined to not go beyond my bachelor's because I was so sick of schooling.

Anyway, very good to read your post! I love the idea of a podcast to reach more people. I've had that idea too... Just do it hehe ;)
Thank you!

I'm becoming more and more convinced that my energy and motivation are suffering from accumulated stress and burnout. When I was younger I think I was really good at ignoring my needs. I also experience bursts of energy and motivation, but the more I make sure I get a balanced mix of sleep, exercise, nutrition, down time, and social time, the more frequent and persisting those bursts are. I think it has also been helping me to have a clearer idea of what I really want and where I want to be, and a better understanding of how to get there.

I had a similar "dream." I just wanted to get a higher-paying job than my parents and the only way I knew how to get there was through endless schooling. It's annoying that I only picked up MJ's books a few months ago, but I'm grateful that I did find them. It took a while to get over the "loss" of going through so much school, but now I'm realizing that there are a lot of skills and experience I picked up during my academic career that I can use in moving forward.

Haha you should just do it too!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I’m here to add to the “I also had more energy” I worked two jobs, worked out, had time to volunteer at a UN directors board… now I’m a stay-at-home step-mom (lol), my husband works from home, and we laugh at even commuting to work, remember when we woke up at 5 and came back home at 8pm… The pandemic changed so many things (my current situation is a byproduct of a ton of things the pandemic changed).

I think @Tammyanne can give you tips on how to connect and interview people, she has done her fair share! <3
Lol for years now when asked "what do you want to do after you finish school?" I'd tell them with total sincerity that I wanted to be a housewife. Doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc. etc. everyday honestly is more attractive to me than sitting behind a computer screen in a windowless office everyday. I absolutely agree about the pandemic changing so many things - I think it has changed things in ways we don't fully understand yet.

Thanks for putting Tammyanne on my radar!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Lol for years now when asked "what do you want to do after you finish school?" I'd tell them with total sincerity that I wanted to be a housewife. Doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc. etc. everyday honestly is more attractive to me than sitting behind a computer screen in a windowless office everyday. I absolutely agree about the pandemic changing so many things - I think it has changed things in ways we don't fully understand yet.

I'll tell you that in the window-less office sense, it doesn't get better than this. That said my two step kids are teens so I have it pretty easy. :p

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Thank you!

I'm becoming more and more convinced that my energy and motivation are suffering from accumulated stress and burnout. When I was younger I think I was really good at ignoring my needs. I also experience bursts of energy and motivation, but the more I make sure I get a balanced mix of sleep, exercise, nutrition, down time, and social time, the more frequent and persisting those bursts are. I think it has also been helping me to have a clearer idea of what I really want and where I want to be, and a better understanding of how to get there.

I had a similar "dream." I just wanted to get a higher-paying job than my parents and the only way I knew how to get there was through endless schooling. It's annoying that I only picked up MJ's books a few months ago, but I'm grateful that I did find them. It took a while to get over the "loss" of going through so much school, but now I'm realizing that there are a lot of skills and experience I picked up during my academic career that I can use in moving forward.

Haha you should just do it too!
I completely agree with the cumulative stress/burnout theory.

Same! I came across them a year or two ago but I do agree, I think we've had experiences that have shaped us and will contribute to what we can share with others. Yes, "loss" and grieving is very legitimate and requires necessary period to grieve. I worked at a community college for awhile and one of the therapists made a great presentation at the start of COVID on how many of us "lost" things and were going through the stages of grief. The losing wasn't only deaths but also loss of routine, loss of social contact, etc. It really opened up my mind to the fact that we can grieve many things.

I should hehe :)

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022

After I left residency, I honestly thought the same thing of housewife! I remember that was also when I started to be really curious about "passive income" or just other ways to make a living that could be running when I wasn't awake. Wanted to start something like that and only then could I imagine maybe having a kid. But honestly housewife alone and not being mom as well was good enough. Even now, it's still an attractive "option" lol.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Thanks :) I definitely need to practice speaking under the pressure of being recorded. I'm expecting a slow following, but it's reassuring to know/remember that even a few hundred followers can be considered a win.
It's hard! I have a YT channel more as a hobby and I don't show my face but even then, just knowing I'm recording makes me stumble over words way more. I've resorted to voicing over my videos instead which is still hard but not as bad as trying to do something on camera and talk at the same time. Have you heard of the 1000 true fans concept?

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
It's hard! I have a YT channel more as a hobby and I don't show my face but even then, just knowing I'm recording makes me stumble over words way more. I've resorted to voicing over my videos instead which is still hard but not as bad as trying to do something on camera and talk at the same time. Have you heard of the 1000 true fans concept?
I'm definitely leaning towards a voice-only podcast :happy: No, I haven't heard of that concept - I'll look it up!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
2/12

February. What a ride.

My job required a great deal of my time and energy early in the month. I threw together a proposal for a new project idea.
  • As a scientist, I've been the leader of projects, but I've always been handed the project idea and funding. It was pretty rewarding to come up with an idea that was well received by one of my mentors (a senior scientist) and my manager. If selected for funding, I'll still be in a postdoc position, but it'll give me a lot of leverage to be converted to a staff position that will likely come with a ~$30-$40k salary increase. Since the reality of my situation is that I'll likely be at this job for 3-5 more years while I remediate the slowlane choices I've made thus far and build up my fastlane ventures, it (while frustrating), seems like it won't be a total waste of time to continue growing, networking, and learning skills at work.
  • Unrelated to the previous bullet, but still work-related, I'm becoming more proficient with Python and coding is fun again.
As soon as my idea proposal was submitted, my boyfriend's brother passed away suddenly. As soon as we were getting back into the flow of everyday life, this morning, my grandmother passed away. She played a huge role in my life - more like a mother's role. I miss her so much already.

So, my initial February to-do list has a lot of unmet goals.
Not all was lost though.
  • I finally decided on a podcast/book name and slogan/subtitle. I also think I've settled on a logo. I've looked a bit into podcast tips, software, hardware, etc. as well.
  • It wasn't an intended goal for this month, it just kind of happened, but I've cut my daily caffeine consumption from 200mg to 30-60mg.
  • Another unplanned happening - I offered to help an older woman in my community with her high-energy dog. After hearing of her struggles with her beloved dog, I decided to offer to share with her what has worked for me and my dogs (Thank you, Cesar Milan!). We're still in the coordinating phase, but I hope one day soon I can provide some value to her and (her dog).
  • I (mostly) ran one of my favorite local trails (5 miles). I haven't been running and I haven't run this particular trail in a long time. I actually did and felt better than I expected to.
  • I'm taking time to relax and heal. We had an at-home spa night, the reduction in caffeine is helping, and I've been letting myself sleep in. I want to be getting up early and having full, productive days with fewer physical/mental/emotional breakdowns, but I'm just not fully there yet. And that's okay for now.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
So sorry to hear that @REV5028 . I hope everything will be ok and you will heal from this event.
This is unfortunately the tragic nature of our existence. We're not here forever. Just remember that your grandmother will always love you and be there with you.

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Appreciate the update and so sorry for your losses. It sounds like there was a lot of wins in spite of everything.

Not sure if you're a fellow recovering perfectionist but if you are, I'd suggest/put out a reminder to do only the research and prep you need to do to get the basics of podcast down. In the future, you can upgrade to better equipment, etc. The first business I started, I got way too caught up in the logistics of things including logos and font for my office policies when really, I should've just started. (I do blamed my medical license getting delayed for part of it hahah but at the same time, I was already seeing massage therapy clients as part of the umbrella of that sole prop so it's not a great excuse ) On the other hand, brainstorming/creating/settling on your brand name/slogan/logo so fun and exciting!!

I wonder if you can create an online course or write an ebook helping others with their high-energy dogs.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Appreciate the update and so sorry for your losses. It sounds like there was a lot of wins in spite of everything.

Not sure if you're a fellow recovering perfectionist but if you are, I'd suggest/put out a reminder to do only the research and prep you need to do to get the basics of podcast down. In the future, you can upgrade to better equipment, etc. The first business I started, I got way too caught up in the logistics of things including logos and font for my office policies when really, I should've just started. (I do blamed my medical license getting delayed for part of it hahah but at the same time, I was already seeing massage therapy clients as part of the umbrella of that sole prop so it's not a great excuse ) On the other hand, brainstorming/creating/settling on your brand name/slogan/logo so fun and exciting!!

I wonder if you can create an online course or write an ebook helping others with their high-energy dogs.
Thanks for the suggestion/reminder - I definitely get caught up in details sometimes.

Hmm, the dog thing is an interesting idea. I don't feel I really have anything new to add to what Cesar Milan aka The Dog Whisperer has already put out there. But it's something I could ponder a little more.

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Thanks for the suggestion/reminder - I definitely get caught up in details sometimes.

Hmm, the dog thing is an interesting idea. I don't feel I really have anything new to add to what Cesar Milan aka The Dog Whisperer has already put out there. But it's something I could ponder a little more.
I've had a few business people tell me that what can set a product/service apart is the fact that it comes from you and your own unique experience and viewpoint. I've only heard of the The Dog Whisperer a handful of times so if I'd been someone new to owning a dog and hadn't come across that but had just met you, a friendly neighbor who's willing to help, I'd rather get your help. Also, sometimes some people prefer a closer and nearly 1-to-1 experience with people who may be more available and able to attend to their needs/can respond sooner than someone who is so popular they probably hire a whole team to respond for them and are otherwise hard to reach 1-on-1. Just some thoughts. More just food for thought rather than telling you you should do the dog thing haha.

It's only now that I realize my patients like me because I'm me (and some patients don't like me and prefer the other clinician) and if I can continue to bring that into private practice, it really is a unique value. I'm also realizing how much my personal experiences really add to what I can bring to patients. Back to the reaching a smaller target audience and being more available/responsive, that's why some boutique/concierge/direct primary care practices flourish. The doctors purposely limit their patient panels so they can actually attend to all their patients in a timely manner and some even make themselves available to be on-call for their patients which adds extra value, esp to ones who are a little more prone to anxiety/worrying about what is medically considered minor injuries. Those patients will save money by avoiding going to urgent cares or ER's. It actually puts less strain on the whole system.

Ok off my soapbox now. Cheers!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I've had a few business people tell me that what can set a product/service apart is the fact that it comes from you and your own unique experience and viewpoint. I've only heard of the The Dog Whisperer a handful of times so if I'd been someone new to owning a dog and hadn't come across that but had just met you, a friendly neighbor who's willing to help, I'd rather get your help. Also, sometimes some people prefer a closer and nearly 1-to-1 experience with people who may be more available and able to attend to their needs/can respond sooner than someone who is so popular they probably hire a whole team to respond for them and are otherwise hard to reach 1-on-1. Just some thoughts. More just food for thought rather than telling you you should do the dog thing haha.
Really good points. Thank you for helping me see through some of my limiting beliefs!

It's only now that I realize my patients like me because I'm me (and some patients don't like me and prefer the other clinician) and if I can continue to bring that into private practice, it really is a unique value. I'm also realizing how much my personal experiences really add to what I can bring to patients. Back to the reaching a smaller target audience and being more available/responsive, that's why some boutique/concierge/direct primary care practices flourish. The doctors purposely limit their patient panels so they can actually attend to all their patients in a timely manner and some even make themselves available to be on-call for their patients which adds extra value, esp to ones who are a little more prone to anxiety/worrying about what is medically considered minor injuries. Those patients will save money by avoiding going to urgent cares or ER's. It actually puts less strain on the whole system.
Again, great points. I think it's easy to forget sometimes how much value we can provide with just our personalities and the type of energy we exude.

On the topic of having smaller audiences, I live in a really small community, and it's not a very high-income area. So, even though this town is lacking A LOT of things and there are so many ideas that would be new here, I feel it would be difficult to start a prosperous business here. But, I guess the flip side to that is that there's a lot of potential to bring more attention to this place and help build it up a bit more. For example, a friend of mine is starting to host an intense series of trail running races; the last race he organized brought in a couple of people from thousands of miles away, who stayed at our local hotels and ate at our local restaurants.

So much to think about! Thanks for getting my mind going and for sharing your perspective!

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
3/12

Holy smokes, where has this month gone?

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this month (despite the length of word vomit below).

- Health. I've been realizing lately that I've been allowing my father's bad habits to influence me more than I previously realized. He doesn't take very good care of himself, and never really has. Even though I'm pretty healthy and make decent lifestyle choices, I seem to struggle to prioritize going to the doctor, dentist, finding a therapist, etc. So, I've started to do better. After ~9 years, I FINALLY had an eye exam and got new glasses. Next up, probably a general wellness check/physical.

- My Job. It's seeming more likely that I'll get converted from my postdoc position to a senior staff member position in the next few months. This will likely mean a ~$45-50k increase in salary. Hopefully I'll have more to say soon. Next week I'll find out if my proposed project idea that I submitted in February was selected to move forward to the full proposal phase. Otherwise, I'm getting more comfortable with Python and I'm trying to add some value in a more social way. I've agreed to help with a science demonstration for a kids day and I helped organize a department lunch.

- Providing Value. Today I was finally able to meet with the older woman in my neighborhood and help with her dog. It went really well! She said I helped her more in an hour than a virtual trainer helped over the course of two weeks. That felt so good to hear, and it was so rewarding to see how happy she was and to see her dog relax a bit. I was planning to do this first session for free, but she insisted I take $50 ($30 more than I was going to ask for next time!). She also ended up asking me if I could work with/walk her dog a couple of times a week, and if she could recommend me to others. We'll see where this goes!

Thanks again @informedconsent for getting me to consider working with dogs a little more seriously and not to underestimate the potential in my small community! Also, thanks @Andy Black for asking me/the forum "who have you helped today?" and for encouraging me to ask myself "what value might I be depriving others if I don't put myself out there?"

Last edited:

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
On the topic of having smaller audiences, I live in a really small community, and it's not a very high-income area. So, even though this town is lacking A LOT of things and there are so many ideas that would be new here, I feel it would be difficult to start a prosperous business here. But, I guess the flip side to that is that there's a lot of potential to bring more attention to this place and help build it up a bit more. For example, a friend of mine is starting to host an intense series of trail running races; the last race he organized brought in a couple of people from thousands of miles away, who stayed at our local hotels and ate at our local restaurants.
I actually had that experience when I tried to start my first business/private practice. It was a low-income, underserved community and besides that I was already struggling mentally and only half-aware of it, it was definitely hard to convince people to come see me as their doctor and pay cash instead of a co-pay since they're already paying monthly premiums and it's how the majority of healthcare works. It's very hard to convince people into a new model of care. I think I could be more convincing now though since my confidence is back and I've got a few patients who'd like me to be their personal family doctor :) It's too bad my contract is really binding but one day...

And yes that's amazing! I think someone did a similar thing with trail running in the same area I used to live and it's become an annual event. You're completely right, there's so much potential on the flip side! If I had been able to make the first business successful, I could've been one of the first few integrative medicine docs there and still can be I suspect. But I've let go of that for now to focus on other things :)

informedconsent

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Jun 4, 2022
Wow what an amazing update! Applauding you and cheering you on from afar!

Salary increases are so nice! I'm finally experiencing what it's like to earn a low six-figure income and it's unbelievable in so many ways. I had to go to an urgent care unfortunately but I was fine with paying $215 in cash since they were having trouble running my new insurance card. Mind blown honestly. I think like many here, growing up without much impacts us in so many ways. Trying to not lifestyle creep now haha.

Looks like you're providing value not just with the neighborhood lady but also with your workplace, doing the science demo and organizing a lunch! Definitely not to be undervalued! It takes effort to organize and do things even if it may be "nothing" to you. Excited to see where things lead you!

Cheers!

P.S. If you have some time, here's some entertainment poking fun at how everyone's making a podcast these days:
View: https://youtu.be/FmZrAlu-j80

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Wow what an amazing update! Applauding you and cheering you on from afar!
Thank you! Cheering you on as well!!

I'm finally experiencing what it's like to earn a low six-figure income and it's unbelievable in so many ways.
I can definitely relate to this. I'm sure we could chat for hours about it haha

I think like many here, growing up without much impacts us in so many ways.
It's also fascinating to hear how similar experiences can affect different people in such different ways.

Looks like you're providing value not just with the neighborhood lady but also with your workplace
Thank you for saying this. I definitely undervalue the non-technical things I bring to the workplace.

P.S. If you have some time, here's some entertainment poking fun at how everyone's making a podcast these days:
lol how did Roger know I was going to make a true crime podcast??

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
4/12

I'm a bit behind... Let's see.

Work:
It has been keeping me pretty busy. In addition to some recent travel, the project idea I submitted back in February was accepted to move on to the next phase of the process. Over the course of a few weeks I had to develop the full scope of the project, do some networking, do some reading, and write a proposal (over 2000 words). Next I'll have to give a presentation to really pitch my idea and sell it to the deciding committee. I have a few thoughts on how this relates to business.
  • First, it (i.e., this project proposal process, my work in general, the academic training I went through for years on end) is really quite different from the "you know enough, just get started" approach that is reiterated on the forum. Switching my mindset back and forth has been a challenge, but it's starting to get easier.
  • Second, to have come up with an idea and make it this far in the process on my first try has been confidence-boosting. It didn't matter that I wasn't confident in the idea, but a group of people I know nothing about found it worthy enough to move forward.
  • Third, I'll have practice selling my idea (product) to get it funded (make the sale).
Other news as far as work goes...
  • I'm taking advantage of some computer coding and machine learning training.
  • I'm possibly one month away from getting "promoted" (basically just a change in title without much increase in responsibility), which will mean a significant (to me at present) increase in my salary (I think I mentioned ~$40 - 50k previously).

Dog walking:
The lady I was walking a dog for has decided that her daughter and grandson would take over the dog walking. It was kind of sad for me, but I learned a few things and I am very grateful for the experience.
  • I provided value, even if for a short time, and it felt really good to see the positive impact I was having.
  • It was a lesson in not getting my emotions overly involved.
  • Even though I haven't heard from anyone, a friend of the lady with the dog told me she had recommended me to another person with an energetic dog. It was really cool to see someone advertising for me like that.
  • The "T" in CENTS is no joke. I'm actually kind of relieved that things fell through and no one else has contacted me. My next project is not going to require my continued time and effort.

Other:
I've been spending less time on screens in my spare time. With warmer weather I've taken the time to go on hikes and trial runs. It feels so good to get out there! I've also been spending some time working in the garden/yard. These things, in addition to switching from my pasta-heavy hibernating-bear diet to a diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables, has really started helping my energy levels and mood.

Entrepreneurial Outlook:
The honest truth is that I haven't put a ton of time into a business project lately. Through lovely and lively conversation, I've narrowed down my ideas and sussed out some feelings. I'm okay with my slow, or stand-still, pace... for right now.

Last edited:

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
5/12

I don't have much to say for May.

Today is my first day as a Senior level staff member - I got the "promotion" and a ~$43K salary increase. I'm excited to continue hammering away at my debts, student loans and my car in particular. I've already been aggressively paying on them, so I think I can have them entirely paid off (or close to it) within the next year. Feck paying interest and being held captive by debts. As long as I can stay away from garden centers, I feel pretty confident that I will not substantially increase my consumerist spending with the salary increase.

I've definitively chosen my first fastlane project. I've refined my plan, now I just actually have to get to work on it. It's definitely something I can do on my own, but I'm starting to consider a collaboration of sorts on it. I intend to send some emails today/over the weekend.

I've been fairly absent on the forum lately. I felt I needed to step away a bit. I felt that every time I logged on I was searching for answers I already had, searching for motivation that I could only find within myself, searching for someone to tell me what to do. Smh. I think I've cleared a lot of mental fog though and I'm ready for June.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.