The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

“A pall has been cast on retail,”

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
D

Deleted50669

Azure

Perpetual Motion
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 12, 2016
Mostly management playing hot potato with packaged debts to put bandaids on gunshot wounds. Less to do with economic conditions than undisciplined growth.

The rise of online commerce and big box retailers unwillingness to transition to the new reality of retail has definitely played a big part. In the case of Sears, they relied on the same product delivery model they have used since the 1950s and absolutely refused to change anything.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 7, 2015
I’m always stunned how badly high street retailers have adjusted to internet shopping. Most have their head in the sand and seem to acting as if the internet is a fad that will pass. It clearly isn’t and they drastically need to change what they’re doing to stay relevant.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States

That was an interesting read. I didn't realize how debt-ridden these big players were. No wonder they can't handle the online market disruptions. I wonder if small retailers and mom and pop stores will increase their market share in the future, as a result.

One B&M model that I still think has a future is the "showroom" model, ala Bonobos and Nordstrom, among others. Stores require less of a real-estate footprint, can maintain less inventory and keep it all centralized at a distribution center, and customers still get to touch/feel/see the goods, and get it delivered in a couple of days.

Won't work in every industry, but it might in many.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Cool - glad to have you. And yes it should help a lot. When you are in the new group just post...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hey everyone, I have a big announcement to make about how we are going to be working with...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom