The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

“A pall has been cast on retail,”

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
D

Deleted50669

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Mostly management playing hot potato with packaged debts to put bandaids on gunshot wounds. Less to do with economic conditions than undisciplined growth.

The rise of online commerce and big box retailers unwillingness to transition to the new reality of retail has definitely played a big part. In the case of Sears, they relied on the same product delivery model they have used since the 1950s and absolutely refused to change anything.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
I’m always stunned how badly high street retailers have adjusted to internet shopping. Most have their head in the sand and seem to acting as if the internet is a fad that will pass. It clearly isn’t and they drastically need to change what they’re doing to stay relevant.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States

That was an interesting read. I didn't realize how debt-ridden these big players were. No wonder they can't handle the online market disruptions. I wonder if small retailers and mom and pop stores will increase their market share in the future, as a result.

One B&M model that I still think has a future is the "showroom" model, ala Bonobos and Nordstrom, among others. Stores require less of a real-estate footprint, can maintain less inventory and keep it all centralized at a distribution center, and customers still get to touch/feel/see the goods, and get it delivered in a couple of days.

Won't work in every industry, but it might in many.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.