The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$15'000 a Month by Doing...

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
It's a fourth day of my seven day holiday in a beautiful Cataluña. I've made a commitment to not work on my business while on holiday, so instead of getting puke-drunk or sleeping on mountains of junk food, I'm spending my evenings reading entrepreneurial stuff online and stumbled upon one story that has caught my attention. Thus, sharing it with you all guys:

So I wanted to share a story about people down on their luck, out of options and needing a kick out of inaction.

This story started about a month ago, when a good friend of the family came to me needing cash to pay his mortgage. He has had a particularly rough couple of years, but really bad couple of months. I told him that I could give him the money for his mortgage, but that I wanted to know when he could pay it back. That was a trick question, of course, because everybody knows that when you lend family members money you never get it back. Fortunately he didn’t commit to anything, and I asked him what he was going to do next month. The guy is pretty bright, he’s just had a string of bad luck- some of it self inflicted.

Anyway, I said- how about this. How about instead of paying your mortgage, why don’t I show you something that could make money? He was, of course, very focused on paying his bills and insisted that he just needed a little more time to look for a job. I think he thought I was going to pitch him an MLM deal. He’s just the kind of guy who has always worked in a cube, flew just low enough under the radar to stay employed and hasn’t ever really taken initiative.

So, I finally convinced him that paying his mortgage is not going to be something that happens automatically in this “new economy” and I told him that I was going to show him something that would make him $20K a month if he’s listen to me. Job options are bleak. He (obviously) didn’t believe me. The deal was: I’d pay his mortgage if he’d spend 4 hours a day with me, and he’d be open to doing things differently.

So for that past 30 days, I put up a white board in my office at home, where I work most days. I wrote $500 in each of the 30 days on the calendar. He couldn’t go home until I wiped off the $500.

Each day, I put him on Craig’s list with $5000 in cash (his mortgage amount) on the desk. His job was to hit refresh and search for key items like ipods, computers, old cars, boats, jet skiis, trucks, smart phones, and laptops. Things of this nature. I sent him out and made him pick the stuff up, and lowball the people when he got there. When he had bought enough “product” he got to go home.

I’d re-list the stuff right back on Craig’s list or eBay for him. Sure enough, we started selling $500-1000 a day worth of product. I don’t think he ever stopped to calculate how much more we were selling.

When the month was over, he had taken that $5000 in cash and turned it into a real number. He made about $17K. Short of our goal by about $3000. I paid his mortgage with it, and I think he anticipated that I was going to give him the rest of the money.

:) Nyet, comrade this is not capitalism for you; this is a lesson.

Instead, we went down to the bank and started up a business account with both of our names on it. I think he believes last month was some kind of fluke, but hopefully he’ll show back up and keep at it. He’s never made $15K a month in his life. He has a stunned, but hopeful look on his face now.

I think that people sometimes have to be shoved in the water when you want them to drink. This is a smart guy that just needed to be reminded that he is capable of doing some cool things with just a little bit of cash. Made me proud to be able to help. Sustainable? I’m unsure. We shall see. I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't just a little bit shocked, myself.

Source: bootstrap lesson - Lambo Power

P.S. Here are some of the holiday photos I've taken:

EEEvWSX.jpg

q1nIM9p.jpg

3klShLG.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Craig Cherlet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
May 31, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It's a fourth day of my seven day holiday in a beautiful Cataluña. I've made a commitment to not work on my business while on holiday, so instead of getting puke-drunk or sleeping on mountains of junk food, I'm spending my evenings reading entrepreneurial stuff online and stumbled upon one story that has caught my attention. Thus, sharing it with you all guys:

So I wanted to share a story about people down on their luck, out of options and needing a kick out of inaction.

This story started about a month ago, when a good friend of the family came to me needing cash to pay his mortgage. He has had a particularly rough couple of years, but really bad couple of months. I told him that I could give him the money for his mortgage, but that I wanted to know when he could pay it back. That was a trick question, of course, because everybody knows that when you lend family members money you never get it back. Fortunately he didn’t commit to anything, and I asked him what he was going to do next month. The guy is pretty bright, he’s just had a string of bad luck- some of it self inflicted.

Anyway, I said- how about this. How about instead of paying your mortgage, why don’t I show you something that could make money? He was, of course, very focused on paying his bills and insisted that he just needed a little more time to look for a job. I think he thought I was going to pitch him an MLM deal. He’s just the kind of guy who has always worked in a cube, flew just low enough under the radar to stay employed and hasn’t ever really taken initiative.

So, I finally convinced him that paying his mortgage is not going to be something that happens automatically in this “new economy” and I told him that I was going to show him something that would make him $20K a month if he’s listen to me. Job options are bleak. He (obviously) didn’t believe me. The deal was: I’d pay his mortgage if he’d spend 4 hours a day with me, and he’d be open to doing things differently.

So for that past 30 days, I put up a white board in my office at home, where I work most days. I wrote $500 in each of the 30 days on the calendar. He couldn’t go home until I wiped off the $500.

Each day, I put him on Craig’s list with $5000 in cash (his mortgage amount) on the desk. His job was to hit refresh and search for key items like ipods, computers, old cars, boats, jet skiis, trucks, smart phones, and laptops. Things of this nature. I sent him out and made him pick the stuff up, and lowball the people when he got there. When he had bought enough “product” he got to go home.

I’d re-list the stuff right back on Craig’s list or eBay for him. Sure enough, we started selling $500-1000 a day worth of product. I don’t think he ever stopped to calculate how much more we were selling.

When the month was over, he had taken that $5000 in cash and turned it into a real number. He made about $17K. Short of our goal by about $3000. I paid his mortgage with it, and I think he anticipated that I was going to give him the rest of the money.

Instead, we went down to the bank and started up a business account with both of our names on it. I think he believes last month was some kind of fluke, but hopefully he’ll show back up and keep at it. He’s never made $15K a month in his life. He has a stunned, but hopeful look on his face now.

I think that people sometimes have to be shoved in the water when you want them to drink. This is a smart guy that just needed to be reminded that he is capable of doing some cool things with just a little bit of cash. Made me proud to be able to help. Sustainable? I’m unsure. We shall see. I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't just a little bit shocked, myself.

EEEvWSX.jpg

q1nIM9p.jpg

3klShLG.jpg
Great, and timely story. thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Nice Story but how to do this in Europe Germany, Ireland etc??? We dont have Craigslist, did someone this with eBay local?

Dude iam in andalucia also fourth day Holiday how The hell could you Go in octobre to catalunya we have way better weather down in The South :D

Ps: mj linked that guy already with a Thread bootstrapper thread - Lambo Power
Cant find The Original Post of mj

Saludos

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Damn.... good story, but I was hoping to read that YOU personally had made $15k.

Are you gonna apply this or you got some other hustle on the horizon?

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
You're a great friend. It's great that you created a mutually beneficial situation.

How come you haven't scaled it for yourself? Hire college students or lower income families @ $20/hour or give them commission on profits? If you can get 2-3 guys under you doing the same thing. Eliminate your time investment while helping others. There are a lot of people out there doing minimum wage jobs who would kill at a chance to get ahead in life.

For example, there are a lot of hard working people int he service industry who work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. If you could match the pay of their 2 jobs, why wouldn't they take the chance to make the same amount of money working 1/2 the time? At the same time you are teaching them valuable skills in taking control of their own financial situation. Just a thought...

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Nice Story but how to do this in Europe Germany, Ireland etc??? We dont have Craigslist, did someone this with eBay local?

Dude iam in andalucia also fourth day Holiday how The hell could you Go in octobre to catalunya we have way better weather down in The South :D

Saludos

Thanks for replying.

There's always a way. Don't be one of those people who complaint that it's impossible to swim across the river. Build a bridge and take a fee from everyone who wants to cross a river, but can't/don't want to swim.

Most countries have classifieds. You can apply same principles selling locally or nationally by utilizing ads or even globally by selling on EBay, Amazon, etc. Haven't tried it myself yet, therefore this is just my reasoning, nothing more.

Nice! Do you like it? Lol, one of the main reasons why I've decided to come here was that I had been living in Reus (10km from Cambrils) 12 years ago and therefore decided to visit my memories physically, lol.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Damn.... good story, but I was hoping to read that YOU personally had made $15k.

Are you gonna apply this or you got some other hustle on the horizon?

Thanks for stopping by.

You'll read a story of me making more than that in a near future. The question is not 'if', but 'when'.

I have a business that's validated and is ready to roll. I've decided to go for a holiday before I turn on my hustle mode, because, due to depression, I haven't been on a proper holiday for years. I'll see how busy I am going to be running my business, but will definitely try this system out. Probably even create some kind of progress thread for others to follow. This system doesn't require much time, plus it'd be a great fun going to shops hunting for treasure, lol.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
You're a great friend. It's great that you created a mutually beneficial situation.

How come you haven't scaled it for yourself? Hire college students or lower income families @ $20/hour or give them commission on profits? If you can get 2-3 guys under you doing the same thing. Eliminate your time investment while helping others. There are a lot of people out there doing minimum wage jobs who would kill at a chance to get ahead in life.

For example, there are a lot of hard working people int he service industry who work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. If you could match the pay of their 2 jobs, why wouldn't they take the chance to make the same amount of money working 1/2 the time? At the same time you are teaching them valuable skills in taking control of their own financial situation. Just a thought...

Valid points. But I have to disappoint you my friend! I've mentioned that this is just a story I've read online.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Valid points. But I have to disappoint you my friend! I've mentioned that this is just a story I've read online.
I was so excited about the story, I skimmed past the first paragraph... :happy:

I should really pay more attention. Good story nevertheless

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

Ps: mj linked that guy already with a Thread bootstrapper thread - Lambo Power
Cant find The Original Post of mj

Saludos

Great Post. Great story of entrepreneurial hustle. @Almantas .

@Vanderbilt I think this is the thread you were looking for. Great bootstrapping thread - how to create money.

gClaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 22, 2016
Michigan
Great Post. Great story of entrepreneurial hustle. @Almantas .

@Vanderbilt I think this is the thread you were looking for. Great bootstrapping thread - how to create money.

EEEvWSX.jpg

q1nIM9p.jpg

3klShLG.jpg
Hmm...Im skeptical. Your post says your friend has a $5000 mortgage but hasn't ever made $15k a month in his life. Right? Or, did I read that wrong?
How does someone qualify to get a $5k/mo mortage payment when financed a bank requires that mortgage pymt to be around 25% of the homeowners monthly gross. Which would be around $20k/mo give or take by my math.
So how does your friend get a $5k mortgage if he's never made more than $15k/ mo?
Good on you but when I read your post that's what jumped out to me.
I'm just sayin...

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hmm...Im skeptical. Your post says your friend has a $5000 mortgage but hasn't ever made $15k a month in his life. Right? Or, did I read that wrong?
How does someone qualify to get a $5k/mo mortage payment when financed a bank requires that mortgage pymt to be around 25% of the homeowners monthly gross. Which would be around $20k/mo give or take by my math.
So how does your friend get a $5k mortgage if he's never made more than $15k/ mo?
I'm just sayin...

nVPYoCn.jpg

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
I'm just sayin...

We are both citing a post from another forum. I would imagine that is possible with a no-doc mortgage. :cool:

Asta

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 21, 2017
Spain
Very interesting. Thanks for information and sharing your personal holiday moments. Guys like you make this forum such an awesome place!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
ah i made a sale last night....15k ? jesus....... #hustleup

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
nothing special, just thought of a product to sell and managed to get a customer. but sure if we hustle hard why not $15k? seems like the moon to me tho!

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
Not really related, but this thread reminds me of that one time when I was 19 and selling Comcast TV and internet door-to-door in Denver. I knocked on this lady's door and she was all flustered and half-dressed. It turns out she was really late for work, so not only did she offer me $40 cash to wait 10 minutes for her to get ready and then drive her downtown, she signed up for a free month trial of cable and internet (She signed the paperwork in the car, $100 in commission for me!).

So I humbly submit my story of the time I not only pioneered the Uber concept (The internet sort of brought your driver here...sort of) 7 years before Uber was anything but a snobby German adjective, but I also managed to combine it with affiliate marketing revenue, for Comcast, of all the Satanist inspired vendors.

Too bad I was too busy with all these other cool 19 year old opportunities I was chasing to recognize anything but some beer money in my pocket.

Me at the bar: Yeah, I started Uber in 2002, but they stole my idea...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.