The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

my ahha moment yesterday

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The appointment was no big deal -- just a routine matter... I met with an attorney, who owns a local escrow/title company office, to start a foreclosure on a trust deed I own. Although this was our first face-to-face meeting, I knew from past dealings with his company, this attorney could handle a simple foreclosure. As we talked and I handed him the packet of original documents, a huge ahha moment hit my over the head like a ton of bricks -- this very experienced attorney can't even come close to my education and experience in the real estate business. He started his practice one year before I started my real estate career, in the mid 1970s. We both are Juris Doctors (graduated from law school), but, I have a whole body of knowledge that came from the school-of-hard-knocks, that the law school classroom education can't touch. Yes, he's been working as an attorney handling paperwork all those years. Conversely, I've been out in the real world trenches of the real estate market, day in and day out. Next to me, he's just a one trick pony -- but, still a good choice of legal talent to handle my foreclosure.

For a while, I've been toying with packaging my 40+ years of multi-faceted experience into a series of on-line classes, supported by a blog. Yesterday I felt powerful and special for that ahha hot minute. My mind was filled with real estate topics and stuff that I can, and wanna share. Now, finally, I think I'm ready to get started...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
The appointment was no big deal -- just a routine matter... I met with an attorney, who owns a local escrow/title company office, to start a foreclosure on a trust deed I own. Although this was our first face-to-face meeting, I knew from past dealings with his company, this attorney could handle a simple foreclosure. As we talked and I handed him the packet of original documents, a huge ahha moment hit my over the head like a ton of bricks -- this very experienced attorney can't even come close to my education and experience in the real estate business. He started his practice one year before I started my real estate career, in the mid 1970s. We both are Juris Doctors (graduated from law school), but, I have a whole body of knowledge that came from the school-of-hard-knocks, that the law school classroom education can't touch. Yes, he's been working as an attorney handling paperwork all those years. Conversely, I've been out in the real world trenches of the real estate market, day in and day out. Next to me, he's just a one trick pony -- but, still a good choice of legal talent to handle my foreclosure.

For a while, I've been toying with packaging my 40+ years of multi-faceted experience into a series of on-line classes, supported by a blog. Yesterday I felt powerful and special for that ahha hot minute. My mind was filled with real estate topics and stuff that I can, and wanna share. Now, finally, I think I'm ready to get started...
Although I'm not in real estate...yippeee!
Well done.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Apr 4, 2016

cool care to share some golden nuggets? whats in it for us if we follow your blog or your business? thanks

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

The best feeling ever, learning from the real world :) Congrats buddy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I've found this to be true with a lot of "associated" industries in the real estate realm.... often lawyers, title, loan officer, etc, have no freakin' idea of the real world ins & outs of transactions or how decisions made now interact with goals down the road.

Case in point:

Most divorce lawyers in Arizona have one spouse transfer ownership of residential real estate to the other spouse by way of a quit claim deed. This is actually standard practice here. The problem occurs when that owner spouse wants to sell the house down the road, not a single AZ title insurance company will underwrite on a transfer of ownership with a quit claim deed. Not a single one. This means, you better hope to baby jesus that current-owner-ex-spouse is still on good terms with no-longer-an-owner-ex-spouse because the latter now has to sign off on a proper warranty deed to the former to fulfill underwriting guidelines on a title insurance policy to sell the house.

HOW DOES NOBODY KNOW THIS ALREADY?!??? I can't tell you how many times I've run into this & on more than one occasion, caught this early enough on in the process for it not to tank the entire deal. But the lawyers keep doing this.

Also, the blunders I've seen at the hands of title people & other legally inclined folks has taught me not to assume that anyone knows what they're doing & definitely don't assume they know more than you because of a title or length in the industry. My 13+ years may not be long, but holy shit, people don't pay attention or study their craft. It's terrifying.

For clarification: this is in regards to standard resale homes on the open market, not investors, flippers, etc. Just normal people buying & selling homes in the way normal people usually do.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When you drop some knowledge on the "expert" you hired its time to find a new expert.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.