The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unscripting the Script

Anything related to matters of the mind

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
In typical fashion, long-winded post, zero editing...because I have important things to do.

The other day @SteveO made a post about how (with the launch of Unscripted ), we're noticing more and more people enter this forum with old belief systems running their thoughts and perceptions of the world.

Many of the things they think to be so true about life are no longer true in the world of entrepreneurship.

For those of us who have read the book, and for those of us who know the general gist of it; we understand that all of our lives, somebody else has been writing the script for us.
  • Our parents telling us to get jobs.
  • Our teachers telling us to go to college.
  • The financial industry telling us to invest our money in retirement funds.
  • The agriculture industry telling us to eat certain (unhealthy) foods.
During our younger years, we are like a human sponge.

We absorb information from people of authority (parents, teachers, elders, government officials, television advertisers, etc.) and we accept it to be truth.

Whereas somebody who was born to financial privilege (billionaires, etc.) - they were installed with the Unscripted mindset from birth. The pages of their book were written with the information that would make them successful.

But what about most of us coming into this forum? We were born into a life where other people write a script in our minds, and the pages of our book has always been filled with information and beliefs that completely go against the very mindset that makes entrepreneurs successful.

Why do we hold onto beliefs that no longer serve us?

The short answer is - either we accepted them to be true from a position of authority or they served a positive purpose in the past. The problem comes in when we continue to hold onto them even if they no longer serve us "Do you want to be right or do you want to be rich."

Money Doesn't Grow on Trees & Time Equals Money
My father worked for a century-old corporation in New York City before he retired. My mom worked in pre-schools and daycare.

With the salaries and pension he now gets; money is in limited supply. There is a pre-determined financial ceiling for the mount of money he can make. You have to work hard and long hours for money.

So all my life, the pages of this chapter were imprinted with this information. I grew up with my parents arguing about money and my parents telling me "money doesn't grow on trees."

Then all of a sudden, I read The Millionaire Fastlane and got woken up.

Where that financial ceiling of $3,000 per month or 40 hour 9-5 workweeks are not the norm around here.

Writing the new script.

"We can create our own wealth without an income ceiling." was the new belief that MJ was teaching.

But here's the problem...

On the pages of my metaphorical notebook, I began taking notes and writing down this new belief in my mind. The problem with this is; I was writing my new belief on top of the old one.

No matter how many pages I wrote this new belief down on, the beliefs that I've held onto for so long into my past were still getting in the way.

That's like taking a cup full of mud, and pouring Orange Juice on top of it trying to enjoy the glass...

Before many of the newcomers here can take on the new beliefs, they should avoid the mistake I made. I tried to write the new beliefs on top of the old ones, whereas the first step is to dismantle and erase the old beliefs first.
  • Build up reference experiences from your past where the unscripted belief served you in some way.
  • Take notice how the scripted beliefs no longer serve you.
  • Ask yourself where the scripted belief comes from (Hypnosis exercise: Imagine floating up out of your body on top of a timeline that stores all your memories, looking down at yourself now. Ask yourself "where did this belief come from" and allow your unconscious mind to float back on your timeline and hover above that scene.") What can you learn from what you see? Notice how you didn't have that limiting belief when you go back to the time before that scene?
  • Are you willing to let go of this old belief now?
Many of us fall into two different categories:

1. We believe that our beliefs can't be changed.

Imagine that when a belief is formed in your younger years, a tiny spec of white energy is formed. All of a sudden, when this belief is formed, the snowball effect takes hold and it begins building up. You begin to attach reference experience after reference experience on top of it, blinded by anything that conflicts with your thoughts.

All of a sudden, by now, the belief is rooted so deeply in your mind and in your nervous system, that you can't see through it and you think that is all that there is.

Logically, you can listen to and make sense of the things MJ talks about, but the old belief is so deep in your nervous system that those pages of your notebook are written in erasable ink.

The first step of the process is to understand the following:

Everything is a belief. If one person believes you need to get a doctorate degree in order to make more money, they believe that is true. If you believe that you need to drop out of college and start an internet business to make more money, you believe that is true. Who's right and who's wrong? The answer is both.

We live in a world of conflicting truths. Whatever you believe to be true, is true.

You could be the next Mark Zuckerberg when you drop out of college or you could not be....And that guy who graduated with a PhD in astrophysics (following the scripted college path), might have made some type of connection or learned something during that program that went on to turning him into the next billionaire.

Beliefs are subjective, beliefs are conflicting truths, and you can actually choose what beliefs you want (common knowledge to a lot of us), but life-changing for some of you.

The question is not about a belief being true or false. It's about "does this belief still serve you?"

2. Holding onto and letting beliefs go.

There is another thread that is going on now with heated debates about following your passion.
  • MJ believes following your passion is a recipe for disaster. He quoted billionaires like Mark Cuban who validate his belief.
  • Someone else thinks that not following your passion will set you up for a life of struggling in what you do. He quoted billionaires such as steve jobs to validate his belief.
Who is right and who is wrong?

Both and neither.

Let's assume for a second that following your passion is the recipe to making billions of dollars...why does MJ grab onto that other belief?

Maybe because he tried following his passion in the past and he failed because of it? From those number of failures before his big success, he learned from his big million-dollar success that he makes money when he serves a market need, and doesn't follow his passion.

The man made millions of dollars because he didn't follow his passion.

His belief is working for him.

Why would he ever want to let it go? Retired young, set for life, owns his house flat-out, living the millionaire dream life...

We hold onto beliefs because they once served us a purpose.

The other person on the thread holds onto the belief that you should follow your passion. He states it as motivation to drive through the hard times. Perhaps he worked on something he wasn't passionate about and he gave up because he wasn't passionate about it.

Then, he found something he is passionate about, and he pushed through anything to make it happen.

His belief is working for him in that context.

What if we are all just so passionate about making money and doing great things for others? Or not...

My personal example and reason for writing this:

Over the years, I learned how to quickly change beliefs.

I identify a belief, I remove it and put in a new one, and see what works. The process takes a couple of minutes and I could always put an old belief back if the new one no longer serves me...so I decided to experiment...

As some of you know, I am writing a book on a topic of Manifestation, where you create the things that happen outside of you with the power of your mind. During planning one of the chapters, my co-author and I were talking about having to work hard and add a lot of value before you can make money.

After reading TMF in 2011, I was installed with a belief that you have to take massive action and add a lot of value to make money. We have to go out there, make sales calls, launch marketing campaigns, and go after the money we want to earn, while having to deliver a product or service in return. With that belief, I worked long hard hours after my day job, and eventually built an app company and another business that began earning me a full-time income.

This belief of adding value worked for me, so I held onto it.

Then, my co-author told me that she has a belief that she has ,and a quote someone once told her: "People just pay me for being me." She told me that my belief to work long hours and deliver something in return was a limiting belief.

She began telling story after story of how money just came to her, without having to add value in return. She told one story of a man in Texas who just slipped $600 in her pocket one day, never asking for anything in return, and never seeing her ever again.

Story after story where money just flowed her way.

For some reason, an experience in my childhood came to mind after talking to her about this. I was maybe 7 years old and my father used to always take me to coin collection shows. One night while watching an info-mercial for some rare roman silver coin, the person's sales pitch got to me "WE ONLE HAVE 50 LEFT!"

Panic struck in and I had to have it. Their sales copy worked on the 7-year old version of myself.

I begged my father to call up immediately and buy it. He did, with the rule that I had to pay him back for it myself. The cost was $47.28 including shipping.

We got the coin, and three nights later, I went to the grocery store with my mother and asked her if I could choose the numbers for a lottery ticket. I gave her $1 from my allowance, and she bought the numbers I picked.

I won the lottery.

Well, I got 4 of the six numbers right and won $48.

Money flowed my way to get the coin.

The other year, after I spent a little under $2,000 for plane tickets to Europe...I was sitting in my friend's apartment where I get an email out of nowhere from someone who wanted to may be $2,000 for my services to help them overcome a specific problem.

They had read a guest article I posted on a website and after sending one email back with a few lines, I quoted the price and they agreed.

The other night, I was working on changing my beliefs on the topic:

It used to be "money is hard to come by and money doesn't grow on trees". That didn't serve me well.

Then it was "I have to deliver massive value and give more in order to receive. Things can't just come to me."

Now, my co-author is telling me about the belief that "Money just flows my way and I am not attached to HOW it comes to me. It just naturally comes"

I'm at the point now where I have 5 digital training courses, two sales pages for services, two books, and about 30 iPhone apps out on the market....so I see these as many doors being open to receiving without having to give any more...so perhaps this belief of hers will serve me well because I have more doors open than most.

When I used to lock myself in my room all day not doing anything (early-fastlane years), maybe this belief of money flowing to me would lead to finding a $20 or $100 bill on the street.

Who knows...Either way, I'm open to it.

Do your beliefs continue to serve you?
  • In MJ's case, "follow your passion being BS" is not something he wants to let go...and for good reason: It serves him.
  • If the other guy is living the life of his wildest dreams following his passion...perhaps that belief serves him.
How to change beliefs:

That's a topic for another post which will come at a later time.

Or I made a video/post about it months ago, and it's posted somewhere here.

Either way, the first step is to understand that you're trying to write a new script (unscripted ) on top of an existing script (scripted life). If you really want to install the new unscripted lifestyle in every essence of your being, the first step is to be willing to let go of old beliefs that no longer serve you.

What's one specific belief that is getting in the way of your unscripted lifestyle today?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.