The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Waiting to get manufactured

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
(This may be in the wrong Forum name)

The product idea I have is in the "INSIDERS" forum, I cannot access it as I wont be an INSIDERS for a while, until I can afford it once again, "i'll be back..." *Schwarzenegger accent*

A couple months ago, I found a flaw in a product and decided to sketch up designs! So i hired some people on Fiverr.com who could draw up CAD drawings. With those drawings I was able to see the design improvements I had in my head when that "idea light bulb" came up. *The idea came to me when i was sleeping uncomfortable at a relatives home.

Having the "blueprints" now drawn up, I worked close with my uncle to see what he thought, he liked it and saw potential. We decided the next step is to start building the prototype. Since he is familiar with factories around the Northern Baja California area (in the country of Mexico), he introduced me to a workshop that custom makes parts, be it plastics and metals. (I live in Southern California, so Mexico is just down south of me, that was good since I won't need to look into China).

I got in contact with the workshop, and are working on building a quote and seeing if they understand how to build this thing. Also, I am in contact with other workshops in the area, basically shopping around for prices. I do have to say, it is such a slow process! The workshops tend to take for ever on replying, the first one was so slow in giving me a price that I drove down there myself to get an answer for their quote, they finally emailed back but had flaws on it, so they have to redo the quote which I am still waiting on them.
  • I have to patient with these guys, i feel like their annoyed at me being persistent...
  • I will wait a coupe days, or at least until the work weeks starts on Monday, and see if i get a reply by Wednesday.
  • I wont put my eggs in one basket by just relying on this workshop, so I'll be making international phone calls next week to other workshops.

This is where i am at, waiting on some workshop to say they can manufacture my prototype and them giving me a good quote.

To get this product based company off the ground, what can I do while I wait to build the prototype?
I feel like I am in "down time", but their is always something to work on when starting a business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Love the hustle brotha.

I believe that it is important to focus on only the most important aspect of the business, in the beginning stages, so you don't overwhelm yourself. However, if you're not doing anything some things you may want to think about is:

- How will you fund this project once you get the prototype built? I assume you are not very wealthy, like myself, seeing that you cannot afford the INSIDERS Access(also like myself :sorry:) If you are looking for investors, start digging. Maybe start outlining your plans so you can get a head start on it.

It may be to early for this, but have you done any outside testing to see if anyone would buy the product? Would be a shame if you spent all the time, energy and money if no one would actually buy the product.

Those are just a couple of ideas.

Keep grinding, i'll be stopping in to check on the progress :)

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
- How will you fund this project once you get the prototype built? I assume you are not very wealthy, like myself, seeing that you cannot afford the INSIDERS Access(also like myself :sorry:) If you are looking for investors, start digging. Maybe start outlining your plans so you can get a head start on it.
Definitely, I'll need to start looking for investors. And to do that i would need to write up plans to show people what i see with this product.

but have you done any outside testing to see if anyone would buy the product?
I've only talked to be people about it and they like the idea. I even pretended to have already own this working business with a bank clerk when she said what i did for living, she said it was really good and actually gave me her contact to email her pictures of it since shes in need of something like it. But I haven't done serious 'market research" like corporations do, I just think it will sell. Since, the product already exist and the market is there for it. I just improved upon the design and packaging, to make it more mobile and easy to carry. In the industry I am in, which is Camping/outdoor/backpacking etc, a mobile and lightweight product/tool is everything to people.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to get writing.

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
Update:
Its so tough.
I have a hospital bill of $2,064 from earlier this year. I finally got an accurate quote from the workshop that can custom make metal tubes for my product, turns out it will be around $2,800 for the metal poles.... So effing much for a bunch of poles. He told me the alluminum poles are like 2 dollars a foot but its the labor that cost. i feel ripped off, so i have to contact other workshops.
Either way, i fee stuck, i feel so poor, as if i am not enough to bring this idea to reality.
I took up a part time job as a deli clerk to take up time and make money that i can use for business expenses. But to make enough for a protoype, i would have to work two months, its just not fair.
I know it shard and their has to be a way. But why do i have to wait so much time to get the money needed to just get the first protoype, then after tat more money to mass product it. And i stil have that $2,000 dollar hospital bill...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.