The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Well, if you went to the link @Eagleeye posted, and opened your eyes just a little bit... You would see that there's a link in the beginning to a 1000+ page document (200 megabytes), which is complete and in order.

:pompus:

Well, if you opened your eyes and read my previous messages you would probably understand that this is not complete document.

Honestly I love this forum and most people are helpful, but some people here..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Coming into this late. Can I request a link to the DropBox? Also, I'm having a hard time finding Breakthrough Advertising. Called a few bookstores and checked out the library, nada. Its on amazon for over $100 and AbeBooks for $40+ as a reprint. How have you folks been sourcing it?

So far I've ordered and read through Scientific Advertising, got a couple of the others on order from Amazon and I'll pick up Cashvertising from the library tomorrow. Writing an hour and a half of copy each day too.

I should mention (for the sake of tracking marketing) that this thread is what brought me into the Fastlane world. I found Copyhour and thought the same thing as another poster: "Wait, I can just go through this on my own can't I?" A couple of Google searches brought me to this thread and then to TMF . Loving the forum, lots of great inspiration. INSIDERS threads are fantastic!

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Whatever happened to everyone in this thread? Seems to have died.

Any success stories? Updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leonbenj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 11, 2013
Montreal, Can
Whatever happened to everyone in this thread? Seems to have died.

Any success stories? Updates?

Hey bud, Ive been practicing by writing cover letters to job opportunities and got replies from 4/5 places even though I wasn't qualified. Kind of strange isn't it? I was just honest in my letters. I've written for some eBay auctions too but only 1/3 got sold. Small numbers but still. I'm applying what I'm learning into practice little by little.

Oh and writing on little cards from interesting ads helps. I add those to my snippet box daily.

Cheers bud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Hey bud, Ive been practicing by writing cover letters to job opportunities and got replies from 4/5 places even though I wasn't qualified. Kind of strange isn't it? I was just honest in my letters. I've written for some eBay auctions too but only 1/3 got sold. Small numbers but still. I'm applying what I'm learning into practice little by little.

Oh and writing on little cards from interesting ads helps. I add those to my snippet box daily.

Cheers bud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's awesome. I wondered if anyone else kept up with it

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Gary Halbert Letters
  • The Boron Letters
  • Lazy Man's Way To Riches 1/2
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
  • Scientific Advertising
I am not really following the program by the letter. This is a journey.

Read Cashvertising today. Reads much like a blog with lots of numbered tips. Good. Also read some stuff from Ted Nicholas and Joe Vitale. Magical.

Lazy Man has been the most life changing. I would recommend that book to anybody. It's like the workbook for think and grow rich!

I am copying out a page from Gary Halbert's Motherload each day by hand.

Also, I find helpful to note on flash cards what I'm learning about advertising and also any business ideas that come up. All in all it's a great process.

I think the biggest thing, I've learned recently is it's all about giving. Truly helping people, giving them your product to try and then the rest is history.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Keep up the good work!

• The Boron Letters
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
  • Scientific Advertising
I am not really following the program by the letter. This is a journey.

Read Cashvertising today. Reads much like a blog with lots of numbered tips. Good. Also read some stuff from Ted Nicholas and Joe Vitale. Magical.

Lazy Man has been the most life changing. I would recommend that book to anybody. It's like the workbook for think and grow rich!

I am copying out a page from Gary Halbert's Motherload each day by hand.

Also, I find helpful to note on flash cards what I'm learning about advertising and also any business ideas that come up. All in all it's a great process.

I think the biggest thing, I've learned recently is it's all about giving. Truly helping people, giving them your product to try and then the rest is history.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Cheers!

Got through How To Write A Good Advertisement today. Plenty to come back to in the future.

Still working on this one. Great book, lots of "meat" in it.

Last edited:

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Read 3 of 9 books.

Already feel like I'm on top of the world!

I have noticed that ALOT of the Most Clicked Links/Ads use Copywriting.

I' myself have already started to implement copywriting into everything I do, even business unrelated stuff.

It's really beneficial!

Keep calm and copywrite along!

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
Had a few days off due to other commitments.

Had one of my regular diversions from the challenge and read how to make your advertising make money by Caples. Great emphasis is made on headlines and making them work. Top book.

Slacked off on the written part of the exercise. Something about writing out weight loss and beauty adverts that does not appeal.

So from now on I will only write out ads that get me excited. We're talking cars and money!

Also I am going to 'add' a component of writing out headlines.

The most kickass thing I'm going to do is 'clean the grill'. A principle I learned from Eban Pagan. It means keeping your #### together and in the right place ready for the next piece of work. That means in practice the book next to be read is by my bed and writing material and copy material are ready to go on my desk.

Keep up the noble struggle friends - look forward to reading about your progress!

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
Apparently Dan Kennedy got started in DM by working under Gary Halbert. Here's a piece that was included with the free GKIC trial I signed up for. Thought those of you who read the grabbers issue would find this interesting (I smiled the instant I noticed it).

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 68
G

Guest24480

Going to take this on. I'm about 20 pages into the first book and hope to finish the challenge by 2015.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
1 month and a half into the challenge and I am just not getting the concepts maybe its because I am a visual learner.
So I am pondering maybe purchasing a video/lecture style course to see if this helps because I really want to make this work.

Any recommendations?

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
@marklov Maybe try writing some of your own copy?

I just posted a design competition on 99Designs and sent out a truckload of letters inviting the better designers to create something for me. I created three versions of the letter, tracked the best one, and then sent it out with different headlines until I had more submissions than I could handle. Felt great to put these concepts into practice.

I also recently sent an email to professional in an industry similar to what I want to enter. I used concepts from these books and got a call back with all kinds of great advice.

I also thought I wasn't getting it. And maybe I'm not. Neither of those examples resulted in sales. But it definitely feels like I understand the ideas much better.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
@marklov Maybe try writing some of your own copy?

I just posted a design competition on 99Designs and sent out a truckload of letters inviting the better designers to create something for me. I created three versions of the letter, tracked the best one, and then sent it out with different headlines until I had more submissions than I could handle. Felt great to put these concepts into practice.

I also recently sent an email to professional in an industry similar to what I want to enter. I used concepts from these books and got a call back with all kinds of great advice.

I also thought I wasn't getting it. And maybe I'm not. Neither of those examples resulted in sales. But it definitely feels like I understand the ideas much better.

(broken laptop keyboard only one side functioning so keeping things short)

Great to hear you have been taking action , I think the part I am having the most difficulty with is the mechanical structure of the sales copy since I am coming from an engineering background EE.

I am writing copy but its god awful.

I would like to get into writing white papers using my engineering background and overcome this damn road block.

Going to try a different angle of attack

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Great to hear you have been taking action , I think the part I am having the most difficulty with is the mechanical structure of the sales copy since I am coming from an engineering background EE.

I am writing copy but its god awful.

I would like to get into writing white papers using my engineering background and overcome this damn road block.

Going to try a different angle of attack

Based on what I've read about copy and my brief experience writing it, I'd say that the more mechanical and engineer-like you get with your copy, the harder it's going to be.

I feel that it's closer to art than it is mechanical.

Take a step back and think of it as 1) a headline 2) a lead and 3) the rest.

Write it, go back over it 10 times and then set it live.

Test different headlines, find a winner and move on to the lead.
Test different leads, find a winner and move on to the rest.

The best feedback you'll get is from sales data.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
All his issues leading up to the issue that the challenge is in. There is a PDF version of his letters for easier reading... 1000 pages, but the challenge is fairly early on. It's maybe 100 pages that he meant to be read.

Almost all the links at http://www.trafficplusconversion.com/1345/gary-halbert-letter/ don't seem to be working.

I downloaded the PDF version that contains all 1155 pages, however, if I only need to read 100 pages, I'd rather just do that and invest the rest of my time in writing more copy and etc.

By any chance, has anyone found the working links to these pages?

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
You bet.

I got paid $4,000 for the first salesletter I wrote for a client.

A decent copywriter who knows how to sell himself can make low 6-figures relatively easily... world class copywriters can make a million a month in royalties... but it's a LOT of work and not a fastlane business.

However here's the harsh reality:

Most copywriters make less than $30k a year.

Because often the type of person attracted to being a copywriter likes writing and hiding behind their computer and lacks the selling/business skills to get clients.

And when you write a letter for $5,000 that takes you two weeks and your client makes $100,000 in one week, you quickly realize you got the wrong end of the stick.

I am very interested in freelancing my copywriting skills in order build up some extra cash for future business ventures.

You said most writers "lack the selling/business skills to get clients".

What do you think are the necessary skills needed in order to become a decent copywriter who knows how to sell himself and who can make low 6-figures "relatively easily" ?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
What do you think are the necessary skills needed in order to become a decent copywriter who knows how to sell himself and who can make low 6-figures "relatively easily" ?

Make low 6-figures "relatively easily" as a copywriter? It's simple.
To make low 6-figures relatively easily, the one skill you'll need is a shit ton of experience.
Since most copywriters don't make 6-figures at all: http://www.indeed.com/salary/Copywriter.html
If there was ANYTHING that was relatively easy to make low 6-figures doing, 90% of the world would do it.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Make low 6-figures "relatively easily" as a copywriter? It's simple.
To make low 6-figures relatively easily, the one skill you'll need is a shit ton of experience.
Since most copywriters don't make 6-figures at all: http://www.indeed.com/salary/Copywriter.html
If there was ANYTHING that was relatively easy to make low 6-figures doing, 90% of the world would do it.

True.

By any chance are you part of the "dropbox group"?

The Gary Halbert newsletter links aren't working and I need to read them.

I did a search within the 1155 page pdf to see if I would find the specific ones he told us to read, yet, no luck.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I'm not. But I do recall someone posting a link to them within the last week. I think it's a different thread, so you'll have to search around a little bit.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Almost all the links at http://www.trafficplusconversion.com/1345/gary-halbert-letter/ don't seem to be working.

I downloaded the PDF version that contains all 1155 pages, however, if I only need to read 100 pages, I'd rather just do that and invest the rest of my time in writing more copy and etc.

By any chance, has anyone found the working links to these pages?

Just read the first 100 pages. That's all that needs to be read (until his challenge). They're in order by date. You don't have to read all 1000. ;)

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
A while back I started in on this challenge. I later realized (thanks to some advice of a mother forum member) that you don't have to waste a shitload of time learning these principles. Is it good to know them...sure. How about instead you look at people and companies doing this successfully already in todays environment. Read Apple's copy for each of their products (it will have you drooling), how about Salesforce.com. Better yet, go take a look at the most popular blog posts using Buzz Sumo and similar web apps so that you can find the stuff that gets shared hundreds of thousands of times and even millions of times.

I am not trying to bust anyones bubble and definitely not passing judgement on anyone but I encourage you to use your time wisely. You have to shortcut your way as much as you can or you will be reading for the next year. There is always a better way or shinier object to go after. I have fallen into that trap too. Avoid it!

Who sells millions or billions? What's their copy look like? Find it, read it, adapt it! You are golden.

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
  • The Boron Letters
  • 7 Steps To Freedom
  • Scientific Advertising
Just waiting for 7 steps to Freedom to come from America and need to get back into Lazy Man :)

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
I started the challenge today. Halfway through Scientific Advertising. Since my back-to-college plans fell through, I'll have time to put consistent effort into this challenge for the next couple months. After that, I plan to get some low pay or no pay portfolio samples, set up my website, and get to freelancing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.