The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Caffeine is Killing Your Creativity, Energy, and Focus. And is a Gateway Drug. Look at this bird.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 5, 2014
No seriously. Look at this bird.

Any substance that gives you a lift follows the same journey as the bird in the video. You start out at a healthy balance. But before you know it. You are trapped in an addictive cycle.

DISCLAIMER: YOU MAY NOT FEEL ANY NEGATIVES OF CAFFEINE UNTIL YEARS OF USE!!
Or.. you may not associate the negatives that are currently happening with caffeine. This is because there is a disconnect with the immediate response to caffeine and the negatives it brings.

Here’s how it goes:

1. You take caffeine through your medium of choice. (Some even go for the suppository… Coffee ENEMAS anyone?)
  2. You think, “Caffeine is great”. Look at all your new “energy, adrenaline rush, tomato!”.
  3. You wake up the next morning. Dreary and weary. Can’t get out of bed. Let’s get some of that caffeine to make you feel better.
And the cycle repeats. You associate your dreary wearies with getting old. Your lack of sleep is because you just suck at sleeping. Your fits of irritability are just your personality.

Your joint pain is your poor posture, not the fact that you no longer have the energy to maintain a good posture, because caffeine is sucking the life out of you.

Take a look at this advertisement from 1924 mentioned in Eugene M. Schwartz’s famous book “Breakthrough Advertising”:

WHY MEN CRACK.. .
An authority of international standing recently wrote;
“You have overeaten and plugged your organs with moderate stimulants, the worst of which are not only alcohol and tobacco, but caffeine and sugar . . . “
You know them. Strong men. Vigorous men, robust men — men who have never had a sick day in their lives.
They drive. They drive themselves to the limit. They lash themselves over the limit with stimulants. They crack. Often, they crash.
You have seen them afterwards. Pitiful shells. The zest gone, the fire gone. Burnt-out furnaces of energy.
“He was such a healthy-looking man “
He was. His health was his undoing. His constitution absorbed punishment. Otherwise he might have been warned in time.
“For every action there is an equal and contrary reaction.” You learned the law in physics. It applies to bodies.
For every ounce of energy gained by stimulation, by whipping the nerves to action, an ounce of reserve strength is drained . . .
But repeated withdrawals exhaust any reserve.
Physical bankruptcy. Then the crash . . .
It’s time to get back to normal, to close the drafts, to bank some of the fires…
Avoid stimulants. What is good for the boy is good for the man . . .
Borrowed Energy Must Be Repaid!
Two million American families avoid caffeine by drinking Postum.
And two million American families are better
off for it. . .
People knew this was a problem 100 years ago. Yet, we are all still addicted.

Caffeine is the #1 ignored factor when it comes to health.​

Here is the “advice” we see over and over again in regards to taking control of your physical health:

• Cut carbs.
  • Cut out blue light.
  • Don’t eat past 6.
  • Don’t eat uncooked spinach.
  • Eat only meat.
  • Stop eating unsoaked almonds.
  • Take this supplement.
80% of Americans consume some form of caffeine daily. I’ve seen mothers give their toddlers Mountain dew! Almonds are the problem? What world are we living in?

We are so obsessed with minor details that we miss the obvious. Seriously, anyone who is recommending putting butter in your coffee for optimal health has no clue what optimal health is.

People are clueless about caffeine. Why?

Because it’s “Normal”.

It’s a problem that is hard to see before it’s too late.

“But caffeine is not a problem for me.”

Any amount of stimulants in your body is a problem. It’s effecting you today. If you want to feel breadth of emotions again, have unlimited energy throughout the day, have healthy joints, be able to recover fully from exercise, have the most creative thoughts you can possibly have…

You need to quit caffeine. Plain and simple. You are not living the life you are fully capable of.

Studies showing caffeine is “Healthy”.​

Really think about it. Would you believe studies about cocaine funded by cocaine dealers or done my cocaine addicts that think cocaine gives them a positive lift?

There is a billion dollar industry that thrives off of you believing this nonsense. And the mildness of the drug and normalization make many people never second guess it.

The science is not as bleeding edge as we think. Especially when it comes to nutrition. Caffeine is not a vitamin. We need to start relying a little bit more on human intuition then studies funded by big caffeine and drug addicts.

Is caffeine stopping us from living the lives we truly want?​

Here’s the #1 post on Reddit regarding caffeine:

It’s Not Withdrawal. Your Career Just Sucks
I’m a software developer, about a year and a half caffeine-free. Immediately after quitting, my productivity at work plummeted. It hasn’t returned to pre-caffeine levels since.
I have realized that this is not due to withdrawal, but rather because I cannot, as a human being, sit in front of a screen all day, toiling away at meaningless work for a soulless corporation. Caffeine played a pivotal role in hiding this reality. With caffeine, I can slog through all manner of tedium and even have fun. Without it, I feel a strong attraction to a “stop and smell the roses” mode of living. I go on long walks, look at trees, write poetry, and I don’t get _jack shit_ done at work.
I can breathe. My sleep is perfect. My digestion is perfect. My livelihood, however, is in jeopardy. I just wanted to put this out there, in case anyone has quit caffeine but is struggling with productivity or lack of motivation: It’s not withdrawal. You’re a spiritual creature in a cold, mechanical system, and now there’s no hiding.
There is something deeper going on here. Is caffeine used as a form of control? I mean, the Nazi’s gave prisoners soup, bread, and coffee for a reason right?

Caffeine is a worker bee drug. It makes you a slave and complacent. It numbs your prefrontal cortex just like any other drug.

This screws with your ability to delay gratification and makes you seek out more short term rewards to numb the pain.

I go over the pain-pleasure balance in my “Dopamine Nation” summary. So I won’t re-hash it here.

But the pain-pleasure balance is important to understand. Once you do. You will realize that putting anything in your body that is not food or water is making you miserable.

Caffeine is a gateway drug.​

Imagine this..

You are anxious, on edge, irritable, depressed, have trouble sleeping. You think this is just you. You reach for alcohol or weed or Kratom or whatever to take the edge off. You were only in that state because of caffeine.

This scenario may not have happened to you yet. But I guarantee it has happened to millions of people who have turned towards drugs to numb the pain.

Caffeine kills people, tips people with deadly heart disease over the edge, plays a factor in road rage car accident, cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies, cardiac arrhythmia, perpetuates drug addiction, and much more.

It’s poison.

When are we going to wake up?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
I think you're on to something.

Earlier this year when I was hit with the depressing realization that most of the favorite conspiracy theories became real - I went on the hunt for new and exciting conspiracies.

Coffee, the Silent Killer THEY Don't Want You to Question

I thought I made this one up, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this way.

I don't really have anything to back it up other than, like you, I feel like questioning it's dominant role in our daily lives.

Here's me schizo logic:
  • Huge business ($80B/year global market size)
  • ~75% of adults drink coffee
  • Big part of modern culture
  • ???
  • PROFIT
You bring more evidence to the table.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 15, 2018
Ok, but then….

Good morning everyone. Yum. IMG_6832.jpeg

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 5, 2014
I think you're on to something.

Earlier this year when I was hit with the depressing realization that most of the favorite conspiracy theories became real - I went on the hunt for new and exciting conspiracies.

I thought I made this one up, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this way.

I don't really have anything to back it up other than, like you, I feel like questioning it's dominant role in our daily lives.

Here's me schizo logic:
  • ???
  • PROFIT
You bring more evidence to the table.
Your headline got me!

Find people suffering > help them > profit

403burnout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jan 8, 2024

Really think about it. Would you believe studies about cocaine funded by cocaine dealers or done my cocaine addicts that think cocaine gives them a positive lift?

There is a billion dollar industry that thrives off of you believing this nonsense. And the mildness of the drug and normalization make many people never second guess it.

The science is not as bleeding edge as we think. Especially when it comes to nutrition. Caffeine is not a vitamin. We need to start relying a little bit more on human intuition then studies funded by big caffeine and drug addicts.
Do you have any evidence to support these studies being bullshit beyond "Big Bean"?

I agree that many people abuse caffeine and don't prioritize sleep.

Also on board with classifying drinks like Monster (or even soda for that matter) as poison.

I'm skeptical that a cup of coffee or tea in the morning is destroying people's brains / bodies provided they aren't also dumping a boatload of sugar / artificial crap into those cups.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Stimulants in general are some of the most studied class of drugs out there. And pretty much all the studies about coffee and caffeine specifically come to the same general conclusion: In moderation, there's basically no meaningful positive or negative effect one way or the other.

The only folks who will ever tell you it's horrible and terrible for you are the ones who also insist on discrediting the science behind it as a major part of their argument - because that's the only way to make their argument work. "Don't believe the science, believe me" is a terrible shelf to argue from.

Science isn't perfect, and there's biased money in research, but when we're talking well-studied subjects that span decades or longer - you need a bit more than "every study is lobbyist propaganda".

Also the gateway drug thing has largely been discredited as a concept. It only really works in one direction - backwards. Most heroin users have done cocaine, most cocaine users have done weed, most weed users have had coffee - BUT - most coffee users haven't touched weed, most weed users haven't done cocaine, most cocaine users haven't done heroin. Social pressure is a far more reliable indicator of whether or not someone has or will do a new substance. Hang out with coffee drinkers all day and you're likely to try coffee. Hang out with stoners all day and you're likely to try weed.

Vntonio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 18, 2023
Earth
The irony is that right now I'm drinking a tasteful coffee made with my manual espressor
If I feel like a bad boy, I will drink another one at 2 PM.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015

Any substance that gives you a lift follows the same journey as the bird in the video. You start out at a healthy balance. But before you know it. You are trapped in an addictive cycle.

Or.. you may not associate the negatives that are currently happening with caffeine. This is because there is a disconnect with the immediate response to caffeine and the negatives it brings.

Here’s how it goes:

1. You take caffeine through your medium of choice. (Some even go for the suppository… Coffee ENEMAS anyone?)
  2. You think, “Caffeine is great”. Look at all your new “energy, adrenaline rush, tomato!”.
  3. You wake up the next morning. Dreary and weary. Can’t get out of bed. Let’s get some of that caffeine to make you feel better.
And the cycle repeats. You associate your dreary wearies with getting old. Your lack of sleep is because you just suck at sleeping. Your fits of irritability are just your personality.

Your joint pain is your poor posture, not the fact that you no longer have the energy to maintain a good posture, because caffeine is sucking the life out of you.

Take a look at this advertisement from 1924 mentioned in Eugene M. Schwartz’s famous book “Breakthrough Advertising”:

Caffeine is the #1 ignored factor when it comes to health.​

Here is the “advice” we see over and over again in regards to taking control of your physical health:

• Cut carbs.
  • Cut out blue light.
  • Don’t eat past 6.
  • Don’t eat uncooked spinach.
  • Eat only meat.
  • Stop eating unsoaked almonds.
  • Take this supplement.
80% of Americans consume some form of caffeine daily. I’ve seen mothers give their toddlers Mountain dew! Almonds are the problem? What world are we living in?

We are so obsessed with minor details that we miss the obvious. Seriously, anyone who is recommending putting butter in your coffee for optimal health has no clue what optimal health is.

Because it’s “Normal”.

Any amount of stimulants in your body is a problem. It’s effecting you today. If you want to feel breadth of emotions again, have unlimited energy throughout the day, have healthy joints, be able to recover fully from exercise, have the most creative thoughts you can possibly have…

You need to quit caffeine. Plain and simple. You are not living the life you are fully capable of.

Is caffeine stopping us from living the lives we truly want?​

Here’s the #1 post on Reddit regarding caffeine:

There is something deeper going on here. Is caffeine used as a form of control? I mean, the Nazi’s gave prisoners soup, bread, and coffee for a reason right?

Caffeine is a worker bee drug. It makes you a slave and complacent. It numbs your prefrontal cortex just like any other drug.

This screws with your ability to delay gratification and makes you seek out more short term rewards to numb the pain.

I go over the pain-pleasure balance in my “Dopamine Nation” summary. So I won’t re-hash it here.

But the pain-pleasure balance is important to understand. Once you do. You will realize that putting anything in your body that is not food or water is making you miserable.

Caffeine is a gateway drug.​

Imagine this..

You are anxious, on edge, irritable, depressed, have trouble sleeping. You think this is just you. You reach for alcohol or weed or Kratom or whatever to take the edge off. You were only in that state because of caffeine.

This scenario may not have happened to you yet. But I guarantee it has happened to millions of people who have turned towards drugs to numb the pain.

Caffeine kills people, tips people with deadly heart disease over the edge, plays a factor in road rage car accident, cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies, cardiac arrhythmia, perpetuates drug addiction, and much more.

It’s poison.

When are we going to wake up?

When I was in my twenties, I remember sitting at a cafe drinking a cappuccino and realising that I F*cking hate coffee! It makes me jittery, cramps my stomach and I feel like I need to sit on the toilet for half an hour. I still drink tea occasionally but coffee, forget it.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
2 years ago I quitted coffe for like two months and didn't feel anything, so now I'm "addicted" whatever lol. Drinking a bunch of coffee and hitting the gym it's the best feeling

Last edited:

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019

Because it’s “Normal”.

1716477113362.png

I'm skeptical that a cup of coffee or tea in the morning is destroying people's brains / bodies provided they aren't also dumping a boatload of sugar / artificial crap into those cups.
Science isn't perfect, and there's biased money in research, but when we're talking well-studied subjects that span decades or longer - you need a bit more than "every study is lobbyist propaganda".
The irony is that right now I'm drinking a tasteful coffee made with my manual espressor
If I feel like a bad boy, I will drink another one at 2 PM.
2 years ago I quitted coffe for like two months and didn't feel anything, so now I'm "addicted" whatever lol. Drinking a bunch of coffee and hitting the gym it's the best feeling

ii7zz.jpg

random_username

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 19, 2024
I agree completely with the premise that coffee is insanely addictive. Few years ago I was drinking way too much of it and crashing in afternoon hard. I quit, and after 37 hours without it, my knees and head started randomly hurting. Made myself a cup, took a few sips, both problems gone. I'm definitely addicted to it in the literal sense of the word. I use it because of withdrawal symptoms, and I have a clear cutoff time to sleep normally. I'm a strong believer that coffee is a part of what we consider ourselves, same way phones and computers are part of our extended minds. It's somewhere on my list to test it out for at least 1 month to see how will I function without coffeine. I've been drinking it since I was 14 with few days missed, so coffee was always a part of what I consider me. But that's only my anecdotal experience.

That being said, this whole thread is a strong #landfill candidate IMO.

It's one thing to write in this copywriting/ad way that seems so popular on this forum. It's another thing to portray yourself as a guru, that also seems popular with forum members. Writing outlandish claims without even an ounce of dignity to at least write up some vague chain of logic explanation
is also understandable for the internet. I personally think all 3 of those things are complete and utter garbage, but hey, who am I to judge. But writing that someone should do anything because you say so is in the actual mentally challenged territory. Strong 0/5 performance bro.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Mar 25, 2014
It's funny how taking a hardline stance like this will draw out a majority of low level oppositional responses, eg people going so far to take a picture of their cake and coffee for breakfast.

I just want to say I appreciate your hardline anti-caffeine stance even if it's not popular or 100% scientifically proven. We don't need APA style citations and scientific studies for people to state their strong opinion on this forum. If others cannot think critically and discern fact from opinion, or thoughtfully challenge your stance, that's on them. It's safe to say that you're not offering life ruining advice here if someone were to take you up on this thought process and cut out caffeine from their life.

I think there's some hard truth in this which is tough to face, but most people, including those on this forum, aren't min/maxing and optimizing their lifestyle for efficiency or health.

It comes down to managing yourself and your base level. Is there a price to pay on the other side for caffeine consumption? Yes, but in all likelihood it isn't in years. Even for a heavy coffee drinker with years behind them I bet they would return to baseline within 3 months of quitting. Most everyone else? Probably good within a week, maybe a couple weeks at most. The human body is remarkable at adapting and recovering, especially when we look at a lung from a heavy smoker who has quit. For me, caffeine is a tool to be used responsibly - eg a black coffee before a big workout; but not every big workout.

Last edited:

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Mar 25, 2014
I personally think all 3 of those things are complete and utter garbage, but hey, who am I to judge. But writing that someone should do anything because you say so is in the actual mentally challenged territory. Strong 0/5 performance bro.

IMO that sort of drivel / thought process is best suited for your Reddit shitposting account, not TheFastlaneForum.

random_username

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 19, 2024
IMO that sort of drivel / thought process is best suited for your Reddit shitposting account, not TheFastlaneForum.
You take odd moral high ground considering your "contributions" to this thread are almost exclusively talking about other people:
- calling my whole thought process reddit shitposting
- everyone who responded is "low level oppositional response"
- we can't critically think for themselves
- majority of us we aren't optimizing our health

Few words that you did mention caffeine you haven't provided any concrete personal experience or new information.

Maybe my thought process is actually shit, but that math doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe the better question is: if I clearly agree from personal experience that there is something to caffeine story, why did I come to conclusion that you and OP are full of shit?

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
Most people (95%+) with less than 90 IQ can’t understand conditional hypotheticals.

Contrarian take: "Hey what if coffee is ackshually bad for you? How would you feel?"
Anon: "BUT COFFEE IS GREAT I LOVE IT"
Contrarian take: "Yea I know, I'm just saying, what if, just what if, we question the thing which for so many of us feels unquestionable?"
Anon: "I don't understand, the science is clear, I love coffee, and it's not bad for me. You're portraying yourself as a guru making outlandish claims without an ounce of dignity"
Contrarian take: "Let's just try to entertain the possibility that we might be wrong, and this stimulant which 75% of us consume daily is a cause for poor health. Let's not forget that we're in the midst of a chronic disease epidemic, so what if it is actually possible that the stimulant we consume on a daily basis without question plays a role in making us sicker?"

Anon: *FLINGS POOP*

random_username

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 19, 2024
Most people (95%+) with less than 90 IQ can’t understand conditional hypotheticals.

Contrarian take: "Hey what if coffee is ackshually bad for you? How would you feel?"
Contrarian take: "Yea I know, I'm just saying, what if, just what if, we question the thing which for so many of us feels unquestionable?"
Anon: "I don't understand, the science is clear, I love coffee, and it's not bad for me. You're portraying yourself as a guru making outlandish claims without an ounce of dignity"
Contrarian take: "Let's just try to entertain the possibility that we might be wrong, and this stimulant which 75% of us consume daily is a cause for poor health. Let's not forget that we're in the midst of a chronic disease epidemic, so what if it is actually possible that the stimulant we consume on a daily basis without question plays a role in making us sicker?"

So 95% people here or in general have IQ < 90?
1. If you meant here - so you mean 95% of us on this forum are not intelligent according to you and IQ test?
2. If you meant in general - how does that apply to this thread?
Are you calling just people who don't agree with you <90IQ?
Not gonna lie, that sounds kinda condescending, but ok, you do you.

Is everyone who doesn't agree with you "Anon" not even worthy of a name?

So.... is any of you "Contrarian" thinkers actually provide any data or research. Shit, even anecdotal stories that support your takes would be dope. Anything that isn't "trust me bro" and everyone else can't think?

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
So 95% people here or in general have IQ < 90?

95% of people with an IQ below 90 can't understand hypothetical conditionals.

See how you can't read?

Maybe that speaks more about your IQ than your inability to understand hypotheticals.

Your username is literally "random_username" and your avatar is a masked man...

So.... is any of you "Contrarian" thinkers actually provide any data or research. Shit, even anecdotal stories that support your takes would be dope. Anything that isn't "trust me bro" and everyone else can't think?

Nobody is forcing you to believe anything, or "trust me bro". Some of us think it's a topic worthy of discussion. You don't have to participate.

I'm definitely addicted to it in the literal sense of the word. I use it because of withdrawal symptoms, and I have a clear cutoff time to sleep normally. I'm a strong believer that coffee is a part of what we consider ourselves, same way phones and computers are part of our extended minds. It's somewhere on my list to test it out for at least 1 month to see how will I function without coffeine. I've been drinking it since I was 14 with few days missed, so coffee was always a part of what I consider me. But that's only my anecdotal experience.

You don't even have the ability to put coffee away for 37 hours before you start blaming your difficulties on a lack of caffeine.

Your coffee consumption literally defines who you are. Understandable how questioning coffee consumption brought about such a vicious response from you.

You've been flinging poop, challenging people's dignity, and taking personal offense at a position within a debate about a topic which interests people on this forum.

You're free to go read about anything else you want on the forum RANDOM_USERNAME (like how I called you out by your real name? To honor you? Despite all the poop you threw at me?)

Robdavis

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Maybe we should add some science to this conversation. Makes for disturbing reading. Pleased I gave up caffeine a few years ago. I have no plans to take it back up again.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Mar 25, 2014
You take odd moral high ground considering your "contributions" to this thread are almost exclusively talking about other people:
- calling my whole thought process reddit shitposting
- everyone who responded is "low level oppositional response"
- we can't critically think for themselves
- majority of us we aren't optimizing our health

Few words that you did mention caffeine you haven't provided any concrete personal experience or new information.

Maybe my thought process is actually shit, but that math doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe the better question is: if I clearly agree from personal experience that there is something to caffeine story, why did I come to conclusion that you and OP are full of shit?

- To clarify, I never said your whole thought process was Reddit shitposting; just the fact that you alluded that OP's post was written by someone "mentally challenged" and using locker room bro talk.

- Most of the responses weren't anything of substance; they were indeed low level, meme oppositional responses. We can agree to disagree?

- Regarding critical thinking: I said that in reference to if someone (outside of those in this thread) were to blindly follow OP's post. Not an attack on you or anyone else.

- Yes, majority of people, including those on this forum, aren't optimizing their health. Again, not an attack on you or anyone in specific on this thread, just a general observation. Average person is not thinking about coffee's impact on their health.

Like I said, we don't need to provide evidence, links to studies, etc. to participate in discussion. I did in fact provide personal experience and an opinion to boot: caffeine is a tool, can be useful, should be respected and used sparingly, etc. and additionally shared commentary on how we can leverage it. I'm sorry that doesn't feel like enough to you, again we can agree to disagree.

However, given your own self-admission of being strongly, physically addicted to caffeine, I have to ask whether you are a bit biased in the matter.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
570%
Apr 17, 2022

This may not necessarily be a hallmark of low intelligence, but rather one's pathological attachment to a certain idea.

As soon as someone identifies with a certain belief, habit, or lifestyle, they become ideologically possessed.

If this happens, the mere possibility of them being wrong in their assumptions about the world becomes unfathomable. All logic flies off the window and there will be no rational discussion to be had. Any challenges to their idea become a direct personal attack and a threat to their identity.

As ridiculous as it sounds, this is happening all the time.

We have literally waged wars to defend certain ideas and belief systems.

This video is meant to portray the unspeakable horror of being addicted to drugs or alcohol.

And it does a pretty good job at it.

Coffee doesn't make the cut. It's not in the same league - not even close.

Anyone who understands how caffeine works in the brain should not be surprised to learn that it does come with a few side effects, and the brain will develop a physiological tolerance in response to chronic use.

But that's about it. Nothing to write home about.

I think this thread is blown out of proportion.

If you believe that coffee is preventing you from reaching your potential and living the life you want, you have MUCH bigger problems than coffee.

random_username

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 19, 2024
95% of people with an IQ below 90 can't understand hypothetical conditionals.

See how you can't read?

Maybe that speaks more about your IQ than your inability to understand hypotheticals.

Your username is literally "random_username" and your avatar is a masked man...

Nobody is forcing you to believe anything, or "trust me bro". Some of us think it's a topic worthy of discussion. You don't have to participate.

You don't even have the ability to put coffee away for 37 hours before you start blaming your difficulties on a lack of caffeine.

Your coffee consumption literally defines who you are. Understandable how questioning coffee consumption brought about such a vicious response from you.

You've been flinging poop, challenging people's dignity, and taking personal offense at a position within a debate about a topic which interests people on this forum.

You're free to go read about anything else you want on the forum RANDOM_USERNAME (like how I called you out by your real name? To honor you? Despite all the poop you threw at me?)
My IQ may be low, and my English reading skills are not 100%, that is completely fair, I haven't tested either. But you still haven't made a single logical point that supports any of the positions you are taking. Just name calling and fortune telling.

I'm really sorry that by clicking of the poop emoji caused you such a reaction. I clicked that button because I found those posts low value. I assumed that's why the button is there. Your responses confirmed that I most definitely clicked the right button.

Yes my username is random_username, and my avatar is random image. But so is yours. I do address people directly when I want to say something. Anyway, this was fun conversation.

And yes, I will definitely reading this thread, because I clearly stated in my initial post that I am definitely an caffeine addict. I always get my 2 coffees a day, and have for years.I strongly suspect it's affecting me somehow. If anyone has any actual examples, data, research, first hand experience, anything concrete, I'm genuinely curious about this topic.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
1. If you meant here - so you mean 95% of us on this forum are not intelligent according to you and IQ test?
2. If you meant in general - how does that apply to this thread?
Are you calling just people who don't agree with you <90IQ?
Not gonna lie, that sounds kinda condescending, but ok, you do you.

Science is based on questioning established knowledge. This is how we progress as a species.

Wonder why we still don't think we're the center of the universe? Some guy named Galileo decided to question the church.

He was ruthlessly attacked for it, but because of his absolutely outlandish idea that we may not be the center of the entire cosmos, we now have a space program, high end telescopes, satellites, GPS, astrophysics, hypersonic jets, probes, and an idea of where we are in the vast void of space.

So yes, maybe coffee is bad. Maybe we should look into this instead of blindly accepting things as the church did.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019
But you still haven't made a single logical point that supports any of the positions you are taking. Just name calling and fortune telling.

I'm really sorry that by clicking of the poop emoji caused you such a reaction. I clicked that button because I found those posts low value. I assumed that's why the button is there. Your responses confirmed that I most definitely clicked the right button.

Check it out. I know you suck at reading so let me break it down for you.

1. I say that I invented a new conspiracy theory:

I went on the hunt for new and exciting conspiracies.

2. I admit I have no data to back up my claim - other than a hunch that it might be something worth investigating.

3. I reveal my schizo logic, and call it schizo logic for a reason:

Here's me schizo logic:
  • ???
  • PROFIT

Get a grip guy. It's OK to have fun and explore new ideas.

Maybe if you lay off the coffee you can read and enjoy opposing viewpoints without throwing a fit.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina

Cofffee good, you bad, hit with stick !!

I did quit two months and felt no Illumination, no nirvana, no change, nichts, nada. How about you?

Be careful, that Sidharta Gautama is 100% a guru

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I started meditating a while ago with a group and we all decided to quit caffeine around the same time for different reasons

For me it was because I noticed how hard it was making it for me to meditate, my mind couldn’t slow down. I didn’t really notice it previously until I started meditating.

I also relate to the getting angry in traffic etc which I noticed was just related to coffee after I noticed the other issues.

So I stopped, even though I love coffee and have a pretty dialled in home setup. It really wasn’t that hard to quit.

I’m quite all or nothing, I’m really sensitive to stimulants so one coffee a day is more than enough, 2 and I really am a maniac. But found it easy to just stop drinking it.

And then we went to Korea and I drank coffee every day and bought a new cup and came back and started drinking it again.

I didn’t think anything of it as I hadn’t been meditating as much.

But I did recently quit instagram reels, which was a huge change for me, another example of me either being an all in chronic addict and then just not using it at all.

And boy, I kind of joked I had adhd induced by reels, which maybe I do.

But if I’ve noticed one thing since quitting, I think I actually have adhd and reels were just keeping my mind occupied which actually made it less noticeable.

So anyway I started thinking about quitting coffee again to try and slow my mind down a bit. I’ve been reading deep work and it’s hard to do deep work when you are constantly distracted and have a mind going 10x the speed.

So yeah, that’s my big long pointless story, kind of like this thread. Seems like I’ve put more thought into the impact caffeine actually has on my life than most people passionately replying here in defence of coffee, and all I did was start meditating and notice it was stopping my mind from slowing down.

Anyone have any good coffee alternatives? There’s a heap on the market, I think I’ll just try them all.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Coffee doesn't make the cut. It's not in the same league - not even close.

Anyone who understands how caffeine works in the brain should not be surprised to learn that it does come with a few side effects, and the brain will develop a physiological tolerance in response to chronic use.

But that's about it. Nothing to write home about.

I think this thread is blown out of proportion.

If you believe that coffee is preventing you from reaching your potential and living the life you want, you have MUCH bigger problems than coffee.
IMO coffee made with some actually decent beans is alright.

It's the 3-in-1 instant mixes that we should worry about. Goodness knows what sugars and conditioners they use
in those powders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.