The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Found this business book from 1994, does it still hold up?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
Staying over at my in-laws for Christmas I found this old 1994 (I believe) book on a shelf and took a look.

Most of the stuff inside was extremely technical and only applied to big companies, other stuff aged like milk (hello 2008) but I found some of it that wasn't outdated and was actually very insightful, so I wanted to share it.

The book defines micro-businesses those that have less than $1 million in sales (worth $2.1M in today's money).
I assume that most people here looking for advice fall within this category, myself included, so here's the takeaway:

- a microbusiness is too small to impact the market it's in and its ability to thrive is often just related to market conditions rather than its managers' skill;
- minority shares in microbusinesses are worthless and the only people who would be interested in buying them would be family members or the majority shareholder, as its unlikely these businesses will ever pay dividends;
- microbusinesses often have intangible assets (such as customer loyalty or geographical benefits) that outweigh their tangible assets by a lot;
- assets that have inherent value (such as real estate) but don't contribute directly to the production process are worthless except in the event of a liquidation;
- in general but especially for microbusinesses who don't have patents or similar assets to fall back on, cash flow is king;

The first point especially hit me like a truck.
We just had our first year and we did pretty well, working hard at our store, and naturally we started thinking we were born for this, how easy it was in hindsight and why we haven't done it sooner.
In actuality, it's more reasonable to say that we got lucky and found a good location that was unserviced. Sure we did some research but not to the extent one might think when talking in serious terms about market research.

The second point made it clear that one can't easily cash out until they've done so much work as to already be a millionaire, and I can see why. Anything you put your money in but can't control is a gamble only a fool would take (more power to you if you actually find a fool to sell it to).

The point about assets that don't contribute to production was also insteresting, as I was under the wrong impression that owning real estate would make your business more solid and credit-worthy. And while that might be true, the only thing that matters is whether or not your assets help you pay your obligations to stakeholders. If they don't, they are useless.
Sure you could rent real estate but if that's not what your business does you'll just entangle a lot of cash for money you could have made a lot more easily through your normal day to day operations.

At the end of the day, there's no solution for any of this except growth. The bigger of a fish you are, the more smaller fish you can eat.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with these points? Does this part of the book hold up?
Share your thoughts! Picture attached.
20231223_212007.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I am surprised the book defined micro businesses as having less than $1m in sales. And this was 90s.

I ran Poe.com AI web search and found that:
A micro business, also known as a microenterprise, is a business operated by less than 10 people and generates less than $250,000 in revenue a year. [Source]
That's considered semi-Fastlane for me.

a microbusiness is too small to impact the market it's in
I agree. A restaurant in the district that I live could serve a population of 10k. (Population. Not target market.) But it's not going to have the same impact as the 50-60 chains of KFCs across the state.

You said that cash flow is king. I always forgot about that. Thank you so much.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.