The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

G

GuestUser8117

My country(Quebec, Canada) want to extend the retirement age to 67. What a sad new. The fastlane is clearly the only alternative for those who don't want to be rats all their life. One reason I don't want to have kids is because it's almost sure they will be in the rat race their entire life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
My country(Quebec, Canada) want to extend the retirement age to 67. What a sad new. The fastlane is clearly the only alternative for those who don't want to be rats all their life. One reason I don't want to have kids is because it's almost sure they will be in the rat race their entire life.

Alors vous parlez francais? :) I want to move to Quebec, Montreal specifically.

Err0rX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 14, 2013
I work on an assembly line. I repeat the same 7-minute task over and over for 8 hours/day. Fun times.

Prior to this, I worked in the scrap metal industry. There, I basically drove a lot and got paid to break (then sort) things. The work was more enjoyable, but it ate all of my time. Shifts ranged from 8-14 hours 7 days/week.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
i was deputy manager in operational department at 2nd largest bank in my country.
i was travel everywhere in my country visiting our bank branches, checking, monitoring, evaluating operational compliance.
i quit 2 month ago.
i was saturated. i laugh inside when coworkers, bosses, screaming when something wrong in our department. meanwhile i don't give a damn, since it has no value for me.
i don't find any reason to battling all day with networks downtime, or fraud, or any operational exceptions.
deep inside, i always say "yea, whatever". very unfulfilling for me.
i always think there must be amazing reason God create me. and i'm gonna find out.

cdrag

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Dec 11, 2012
Chicago
Interesting, my friend I am a little curious to know why you have a 150 domain name?

I actively buy/sell domains. I am a BIG fan of .co domains - made a few thousand selling them over the years - its not a life changing amount of money - but I am happy with it. Some of favorites are: Merchant.co and Comic.co

Most of my domains are developed into micro niche sites, then I have about 50 .CO domains, and the rest are various products/items I came across that I decided to register.

I am not a true serious domain investor - there are people with tens of thousands of domains that make a living off buying/sell domains. Rick Schwartz, Mike Mann, Mike Berkens are a few of the top dogs. It's an interesting field if you are new to it.

jindo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 28, 2013
Valley Grande, AL
Doctor (Surgeon, actually...)
It's EXCEEDINGLY Slowlane---especially with all of the "Healthcare Reform" coming

I realized this a few years ago, but didn't know to call it that!
I am trying to figure out my exit plan ( have been for some time now)
I really do enjoy helping others (I consider it a privilege, actually) ---I am trying to figure out how I can continue to do that, but in a Fastlane manner

Arturo-Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 21, 2011
I just got laid off in December 2012, but I was doing hardcore slowlane working 80 hrs a week with 2 jobs. I still have my part time job in a factory assembly line and I consider myself "UNEMPLOYED" since I still get the unemployment benefits.

I "hustle" on the side, doing e-bay, trading forex/futures and a little bit in my shrinking vending business. Sold off most of the business and now rolling some of that money and profit (possibly) into a duplex that is up for contract for deed. Also considering opening a tax preparation office. All of this is still slowlane, totally. For me, I just need the bills paid...while I get my accounting degree!
I'm the only one of my friends to be a home owner and it's kind of sad I'm the most successful out of them all. Which is why I come here! To get my mind blow away!!!

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I currently work in tech support for a large controls and automation electronics manufacturing company. Any touchpanel you use in a corporate board room or conference room is probably one of our products. We are a huge partner with Microsoft and their entire campus is full of our hardware.

Working in tech support the actual job is probably the lowest form of corporate employment one could have. I just answer tech support calls and talk to customers all day. The one positive is it is a customer facing position, so my real job is building a website business and having strong customer service skills can definitely help in that regard. Using this job to pay off my debts of school, as I have a bachelors and masters in Electrical Engineering.

I was trying to find a new job in actual Engineering work until I read MJ's book. Now trying to build a business to pay off the loans instead and leave the rat race. Seeing that this job I don't really have to pay attention to the phone calls, I can screw around on my other monitor and build sites and do the design work while taking care of work on the other monitor or whatever else I need to do.

I figured out everything comes down to your mindset and focus. I realized a lot of my mindset was in the wrong places. Now I'm putting all focus on instead of finding another slowlane job, creating a fastlane business.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I teach high school band.

Pros:
Guiding kids through life, building relationships, being a father figure to some.
I get to study great music literature in-depth, which I find fascinating.
Watching kids achieve great things as a team, and being proud that I helped to create that.
Significant stipend on top of an average teacher pay.
On my feet all day (won't get fat), and every day is something new.
Get a nice tan from marching band practice.
Some free-time in the summer (Marching band prep takes up most of August, so I don't get as much time as most teachers).
Whataburger gift cards

Cons:
My area has the highest expectations for high school bands in the country. Thus, many hours and extra rehearsals that go above and beyond the 9-4 school day are spent in an effort to push the envelope. Yes, you wouldn't believe what some of these students are doing, and it's admirable, but it sure is a beat down. Many people in my profession (at least around here) are out in less than 3 years.
Entitled kids, and terrible parents that back them up.
Tons of paperwork. School finance bureaucracies are huge headaches.
Have to go to football games and pretend to give a shit. We made playoffs this year = more weekends of free-time, gone.
State testing is always taking my kids away from me and makes concert preparation difficult.

Not to mention that my state's legislature just screwed any guys my age when it comes to retirement benefits (can't get them until 65, or penalized significantly). Not that I was planning on working past 35, but still. On the side, I buy and sell used cell phones to pay the bills and knock out some debt. Also beginning development on a fastlane idea, we'll see what happens.

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
Self-Employed

I'm helping my friend that opened a trading/export/logistic business with some consulting, financial, marketing and sales. Is great because is a very interesting and lucrative business, I'm learning a lot and making enough money to "survive".

And on the other side.. I flip cars with a little money that I have. And for the most expensive ones I use the "investor" money.

G

GuestUser8117

I'm thinking about working in a vineyard not so far from my house. It would be cool to know about the wine business, as I'm passionate about wine.

MartyMcGee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jun 8, 2013
Interesting way to phrase the question 'What's you job? What do you do?' Implying that these are two separate things. Of course, this is likely the way that many of us think about our lives. We see the 'what we do for a living' as being distinct from 'who we are'.

Anyway, without getting too philosophical, I am a SEO and Internet Marketing guy. I used to be an engineer though and when I was doing that I definitely had the work / life duality thing. Definitely feeling more like a whole person now!

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
now, what value could you offer dentists.... to speed that transition.?

he gave the answer in his post:
I am 43 years old and made my 1st million by 35. Mostly from dentistry,

Helloooooo!!!

The Dan Kennedy approach would be to create a course on what made you a millionaire dentist by age 35 & sell it....set up a mastermind for dentists who wanna be...charge 1,000 dentists nationwide $1,000 / year for your exclusive content.... For gosh sakes - your career so far is already one big advertisement for that...

For my paycheck, I work in the corp. IT department for a global company based in Germany. I work from home, in Israel. I'm responsible for the relationship between Corp. IT and our subsidiaries in parts of Europe & CEE META regions. I really enjoy the people I work with (and seldom see) and the international part of it is still fun, after 4 years. Also am PM for some IT projects.

My background in IT project management has been a big help to me in moving my FL business forward - the ability to break goals down to component steps and plan the sequencing.... Main challenge is time, pure and simple...

G

GuestUser152

I install cabinets and countertops. Really not a bad job I just hate spending so much time on something to have nothing to show for it. Working on my fastlane on the side.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I run a tree services co, climb prune and fell trees

Avus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
I'm in sales. One of the craziest career choices anyone can choose. SO MANY ups and downs. Dealing with clients and messed up orders. zzzzzz gets frustrating.

I also have been slowly building a side biz which has been REALLY helpful with stress. It is a slow process but I am having fun. I sort of got a wakeup call a few months ago, I randomly had a buddy who had a secret entourage book and digging yourself out of the 9-5. That is sort of where this whole idea spawned from I guess.
I think the one I read was Is It 5 Yet? Secret Entourage Entrepreneur Book Series | Secret Entourage

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
I'm in sales. One of the craziest career choices anyone can choose. SO MANY ups and downs. Dealing with clients and messed up orders. zzzzzz gets frustrating.

I've been in sales for some years and here is my advice... Please note I try to follow it myself, lol.

Sales definitely has its ups and downs. I find the key is to set your expectations low, while hoping for the best. Do not ever count your chickens before they hatch - this is too easy to do sometimes. Many potential customers will say they will be moving forward but delay or end up not going through. Follow up is important and don't be afraid to ask for the sale.

It is important to separate yourself emotionally from the sale which is why it is important to never count on sales until they are closed. If you focus your attention instead on drumming up new business and following up on existing leads - eventually good stuff happens and you will close. It may seem like simple advice but it is harder to do in practice as by nature we are emotional creatures.

Sales is a contact sport in that the more people you reach out to - the more doors will open. Don't waste time being upset over somebody who didn't pull the trigger, simply move along and you will soon get some closes. I swear some of my best days are the real shitty ones when I just keep reaching out then BAM out of nowhere something good happens.

Persistance and healthy optimism is key, while learning to ignore the bullshit. ABC - Always be closing and remember "coffee is for closers" lol.

[video=youtube;AO_t7GtXO6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_t7GtXO6w[/video]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.