The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's your job ? What do you do?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I was wondering what you liked/disliked about being a commercial broker. I have been considering it for a while as a way to add some additional capital, I am working with real estate on the development side, but I am afraid it will be to rigid and corporate for me.

Well, in CRE brokerage, to be successful, you basically have to put in a lot of time of networking/building a presence in a single geographical area. Thats one thing I realized is not for me (especially with my current area being in Switzerland, where I don't want to stay longer than necessary). I want to have some level of geograpghical flexibility (not like a "lifestyle-business", but also not limited to one area).

Another thing that I don't like is that you put in a lot of time to be successful, but you're not building an asset. As an entrepreneur you're putting in the same or more time but you asset grows with time. As a broker you're always on the hunt for the next paycheck. Of course it gets easier as you gain contacts with time, but still..

I also don't like being "restricted" to one area of business, in this case obviously real estate.

And furthermore, I don't like the opportunities to earn money. In RE its harder to scale than in another business area or of course an internet business. Of course there are top brokers who pull in 7 figures a year and RE investors/developers can do even more. But you have to be in the top 0,0001% to do that, which is even harder than building a successful business.

Don't know if this makes sense, but I think beyond the reasons listed above, I mainly have the feeling that it just isn't "for me".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Started an advertising agency 6 months ago, my job consists of finding great sales talent and making the right media-choices for our clients. We outsource everything else (from idea to production).

Was in nightlife before (never again)

Alex Barboza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 27, 2011
I am an English teacher in Colombia (my country). Considering turning my profession into a fastlane. I have some ideas about it but still not sure if I should really do it.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Well, in CRE brokerage, to be successful, you basically have to put in a lot of time of networking/building a presence in a single geographical area. Thats one thing I realized is not for me (especially with my current area being in Switzerland, where I don't want to stay longer than necessary). I want to have some level of geograpghical flexibility (not like a "lifestyle-business", but also not limited to one area).

Another thing that I don't like is that you put in a lot of time to be successful, but you're not building an asset. As an entrepreneur you're putting in the same or more time but you asset grows with time. As a broker you're always on the hunt for the next paycheck. Of course it gets easier as you gain contacts with time, but still..

I also don't like being "restricted" to one area of business, in this case obviously real estate.

And furthermore, I don't like the opportunities to earn money. In RE its harder to scale than in another business area or of course an internet business. Of course there are top brokers who pull in 7 figures a year and RE investors/developers can do even more. But you have to be in the top 0,0001% to do that, which is even harder than building a successful business.

Don't know if this makes sense, but I think beyond the reasons listed above, I mainly have the feeling that it just isn't "for me".

Thanks for the info. I have been avoiding it for those same reasons listed and decided to go the development route but have recently noticed that I have been running into people throughout the course of work that I could be selling/leasing stuff to. I also know a few brokers who are making some serious cash and it seems like there would be some fringe benefits. If you don't mind me asking how long have you been working and if you have closed any deals. I have heard stories of brokers going over a year without a check. If I do it I will most likely focus on investment sales, or leasing and relocate to a place that I would really like to live long term.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Jose71

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 9, 2013
Retired Navy soon to be employed in the shipyard and of course part-time REI

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
I'm on Wall Street (leaving ASAP).

I run a brothel out of the back of biophase's hideout in Monaco on the weekends.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
I am a dishwasher/cook at Outback Steakhouse...yea seems like I have the most menial job here. lol But hey it pays the bills while I am in school (finishing soon with a B.S. in Psychology) and I absolutely HATE the job so it keeps me miserable so I can focus on my future as a fastlaner.

G

GuestUser8117

I am a dishwasher/cook at Outback Steakhouse...yea seems like I have the most menial job here. lol But hey it pays the bills while I am in school (finishing soon with a B.S. in Psychology) and I absolutely HATE the job so it keeps me miserable so I can focus on my future as a fastlaner.

That's not fun. I used to wash the dishes for one year straight until I couldn't take it anymore. 50 hours a week. Worst time of my life.

psaco131

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 16, 2012
Peru
I sell new cars. Learned alot about buying behaviors, sales & negotiating. Its decent money, but m

eribruski

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 29, 2012
Toronto, ON
I own a restaurant that's too fancy for the neighbourhood it's in. Killer hours, haven't had a paycheck in 2 years, lost all my friends, have no love life except for my 2 f**k buddies. Company is in the green but it's just a game of cat and mouse to keep up with all the food handling regulations, inspectors, and upkeep of a 30+ year old building.

Pretty shitty gig - never again...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just speeded the OP -- turning out to be a great thread with some interesting jobs, some I would have never have thought!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Elementary school teacher (science).

Pros: Like being a rock star most days, the kids love the class. 2 months off during the summer and long breaks throughout the year.

Cons: Parents making excuses for their kid's poor choices, not allowing the kids to learn cause and effect. Gov. regs and high stakes standardized tests.

Several other ventures in process.

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
Project coordinator for a hydroelectric construction project. I moved to British Columbia from Ontario about 2 weeks ago for this job.

Pros: All expenses paid, good pay (most $ I've ever made), company truck, friendly coworkers, learning lots about the business side of construction. I get to work outside - 15km into the mountains. Also Whistler Blackcomb is only 40 minutes away :)

Cons: TIME - this job consumes lots of it. I leave around 6 and I'm back around 5:30. This is my dilemma but I'm giving this job a chance. I'm trying to make the best of my time off.

Not exactly fastlane ATM but I've been playing lots of online poker. My aim is to be able to play consistently enough to leave the job and free up some precious time. I will throw in the towel eventually, but I don't think another job is the answer either.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
That's not fun. I used to wash the dishes for one year straight until I couldn't take it anymore. 50 hours a week. Worst time of my life.

Agreed, I've been at it for 8 months now working 40 hours a week. So many instances where I wanted to walk out.

G

Guest3722A

Truck driver. Liquid co2 tanker. The job is a blast when it doesn't do things like attempt to blow my hand off. Been on workman's comp for almost half a year now and I get knee surgery in two weeks!! Yeah, can't wait!!! I used to drive a tanker for Schneider National around the states and that was fun too seeing that I got to work with all kinds of chemicals and wear funny suits. One drop constitutes a hazmat spill! fun fun fun

LRY

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 25, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Senior International Tax Analyst for a private company in Maryland.

I handle all of the companies tax filings, but get this...I don't actually fill out the forms. We have other accounting firms that actually file the returns. All I do is provide the accounting records to the outside firms. And the accounting information is done by the company accountants. So basically I'm just a middle man! And I'm making in the 70's for this privilege of being a middle man.

It's a sweet gig and I don't know how long it will last ( been here almost 18 months), but I'm trying to grow my Youtube channel/web presence while I'm here. I do all my non work stuff on my iPad so that I can't get caught.

Also, the hours are not set. I come in around 9:15am and leave around 5. I only stay that late because others would get jealous if I were to leave earlier, but I'm usually working on my iPad anyway.

This job allowed me the free time to pass the CPA exam because I had so much free time as work, I just studied for the exam at work! Now that I'm done with that, it's time to get Fastlane with all my company paid free time.

Side note, there really is a shortage of tax professionals with international tax experience. It's slow lane, but a good gig to have while becoming Fastlane if you don't go the public accounting firm route.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Working in my fathers Food Takeaway just now its extremely busy with alot of work and customers daily only going to be at it for another few months then hopefully move on to something better the wage is good but for what im doing..
Its such a kick in the teeth to consider 5 years ago when i was only 19 I had my own Car Dealership with 34 cars in stock.. At least ill respect a good job and money next time around :)

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012

The "menial" ones are those who stay at home!

I once had a job where I would open pipes whilst I was in knee-deep shit for 3 dollars an hour! Priceless lessons in life!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Last edited by a moderator:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Doorman at an upscale Gentlemen's Clubs(strip club) for 2 1/2 yrs now. Before that I worked for a hard money lender. Before that....15 other jobs. I have a Bachelor's in Business.

I've been using my position to network with our good customers. It's worked out well. Working on my own project and looking forward to a launch.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 6, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic and have been for almost ten years.
Pros: good hours, time off, benefits and a retirement
Cons: The retirement takes 25 years to earn and is not as good as it used to be.
The holidays spent away from home ( last year my shift worked every major holiday).
Mediocre pay and limited overtime.

I enjoy helping people and something different everyday but there is a reason that were all on this forum.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Pixie dust spreader on the tilt o whirl :D...maybe next year I will get to bark for the yak woman.

Retail management...transportation management... construction management. Most of my experience has been in herding cats; now that I look back.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
Graduating as a Marketing & Sales Intern in a B2B Start Up from Belgium.
We are a software developer and sell Saas to medical/pharma coorporations.

Pros:
I can pretty much work from everywhere I want. I only need my Laptop and a phone line.
I've learned a lot about business and business practice since I am there.
But I also learned that it takes balls of steel to run a company.
So many things you can get hung up in.

Last week I was at a Microsoft Event to speak with Microsoft Partners.
I am learning a lot about the distribution model and what VARs look for in
new software.

Pros/Cons: The job has a lot of sides and I am in charge of a lot of things. That makes it pretty time consuming.

Cons: Between traveling to events, etc. I work from an home office and I am not a big
fan of that. I assumed I could work in Belgium, to be able to see a new area.

Pros: I work together with a business crack. He's 65 years old and has tons of experience as a business
owner and consultant. I learn a lot from him.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I recently quit my job cleaning gutters and doing roofing work. Now I just do the marketing and sales for it, and my own thing. Prior to that I worked in brick masonry for 4 years, talk about BRUTAL work.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Prior to that I worked in brick masonry for 4 years, talk about BRUTAL work

Yep. Its brutal. The trades are a dead-end moving forward for the most part unfortunately. Cheap is here to stay.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.