The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are your thoughts on working only 4 hours a day?

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Does it sound reasonable for me to sleep until I'm no longer tired. 11am. Then do 4 hours of focused work?

I notice when I wake up early. And try to work all day. I get easily distracted. And often find myself dozing off.

I'm currently working on a book, so I'm home 24/7. What are your thoughts on the minimal hours a entrepreneur should be working daily? And is it ok to sleep basically all day and work the rest of your time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I suppose you could do it that way, but you'll probably progress much slower working 4 hours a day. What are you doing with the other 20? You can't be sleeping all that time (and if you are, you may want to talk to a doctor).

Have you tried the pomodoro technique? Get a timer and work in increments. 25 minutes of focused work, 5 minute break - after 4 work sessions, take a slightly longer break. I've found that helps me a lot with distraction.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do whatever works the best for you. If your best productivity comes after 3 shots of whiskey while hanging upside down on a trapeze, do it.

You don't need our approval.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
<-------------

Meh, I used to think my best productivity was when waking up later but that's all changed now.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
You have to find the rhythm that works for you. I wake up at about 8 AM and F*ck around until about 12-1 PM. Sometimes later. Then I get into a groove and can go 2-3 hours or 15 hours.

Part of this is self exploration and figuring out how you work best. It's very tricky, and I feel guilty all the time, but there's no right answer. People think I am crazy when I describe how I work.

Also, keep in mind that high-level thinking tasks sometimes take more time and are harder to get into. Like, if I am thinking about the next direction for my business that can take 2-3 days of thinking where I feel like I am getting nothing done at all.

Then, when I am coding I can get down and dirty for 20 hours 3 days in a row.

Creativitiy is much harder to do and "focus" on like normal work/tasks.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ItaloAmerican

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 22, 2014
From my experience the night before is important.
As long as you don't stay up too late and get about 7-8 hours worth of sleep you should be fine.

If you want to be focused by 9 or 10 the next morning, wake up about 2 hours earlier and use the time to WAKE UP.
You could have some coffee or something, go running or to the gym before you start your day.
While WAKING UP my advice is that you already get your mind set for what you're going, for instance think about what you could write or go through some ideas. Sort of like "brainstorming" or as I affectionately call it "brain-masturbating".

Hope this helps you use more of the day.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,186%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Miracle morning?

I had a miracle morning not too long ago by sheer accident. I woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep so I ended up just working. It was surprisingly productive so I repeated it again and again.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Miracle morning?

Pretty much but I used to wake up a few years ago around 10am but realized I was just kidding myself that I was more productive. Started getting up around 7am and productivity increased a lot. After miracle morning I get up anywhere from 4:30am to 6am and am even more productive.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Pretty much but I used to wake up a few years ago around 10am but realized I was just kidding myself that I was more productive. Started getting up around 7am and productivity increased a lot. After miracle morning I get up anywhere from 4:30am to 6am and am even more productive.
What time do you go to bed at night? 8? 9?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What time do you go to bed at night? 8? 9?

I don't need 8 hours sleep. 7 is the most. However, right now, I'm working on building a company so I may only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

"I'd Rather Be Tired Than Broke."

Even so, my eating lifestyle (Paleo) and bulletproof coffee insure boundless energy and mental clarity. Without that I wouldn't be able to do it.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I don't need 8 hours sleep. 7 is the most. However, right now, I'm working on building a company so I may only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

"I'd Rather Be Tired Than Broke."

Even so, my eating lifestyle (Paleo) and bulletproof coffee insure boundless energy and mental clarity. Without that I wouldn't be able to do it.

I eat paleo too, but I know the value of sleep to my body. With bad sleep, everything I do is pure crap. It's an area upon which I won't compromise because I don't do as well with bad sleep.

But I am thinking of trying to wake up earlier as the one time in my life where I regularly woke up at 5:00 AM I was pretty productive...

Moodswing

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 23, 2014
Netherlands
I eat paleo too, but I know the value of sleep to my body. With bad sleep, everything I do is pure crap. It's an area upon which I won't compromise because I don't do as well with bad sleep.

But I am thinking of trying to wake up earlier as the one time in my life where I regularly woke up at 5:00 AM I was pretty productive...

Also, get a good meditation practice going. The moment I made meditation a daily habit (2x 15/20min a day) I noticed I needed a lot less sleep and my deep sleep increased drastically. Now I sleep ~6 hours and have never felt better upon waking up. Search the internet about the meditation/sleep correlation.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
I suppose you could do it that way, but you'll probably progress much slower working 4 hours a day. What are you doing with the other 20? You can't be sleeping all that time (and if you are, you may want to talk to a doctor).

Have you tried the pomodoro technique? Get a timer and work in increments. 25 minutes of focused work, 5 minute break - after 4 work sessions, take a slightly longer break. I've found that helps me a lot with distraction.
I'm going try that technique. Thanks.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Do whatever works the best for you. If your best productivity comes after 3 shots of whiskey while hanging upside down on a trapeze, do it.

You don't need our approval.
Thanks MJ. Lol I was kinda surprised when I saw you replied.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
You need to do what is best for you, because what is best for you might not be what is the best for me, or for anyone else on this board.

I know that for myself, I don't think I could ever work just 4 hours a day, at least not on the beginning (which is where i am right now)
My daily routine is that I wake up at 5:30AM, go to the gym for 2 hours, come home, eat, read/catch up on news for an hour or so, and then start work around 9-10AM. I take breaks throughout the day, like I go running mid-afternoon with my dog everyday for an hour, or I'll take a break to run an errand or two. And then I spend my nights doing my most productive work, I put on headphones, turn up my music, and do as much work as I can for 2-3 hours.

I like to go to bed at night feeling like I made the most of my day, and productivity differs from person to person. So, if you can work 4 hours a day and feel as though you had a productive day and made most of your time, than go for it! :D

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
You have to find the rhythm that works for you. I wake up at about 8 AM and F*ck around until about 12-1 PM. Sometimes later. Then I get into a groove and can go 2-3 hours or 15 hours.

Part of this is self exploration and figuring out how you work best. It's very tricky, and I feel guilty all the time, but there's no right answer. People think I am crazy when I describe how I work.

Also, keep in mind that high-level thinking tasks sometimes take more time and are harder to get into. Like, if I am thinking about the next direction for my business that can take 2-3 days of thinking where I feel like I am getting nothing done at all.

Then, when I am coding I can get down and dirty for 20 hours 3 days in a row.

Creativitiy is much harder to do and "focus" on like normal work/tasks.
That makes sense, thanks

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Also, get a good meditation practice going. The moment I made meditation a daily habit (2x 15/20min a day) I noticed I needed a lot less sleep and my deep sleep increased drastically. Now I sleep ~6 hours and have never felt better upon waking up. Search the internet about the meditation/sleep correlation.

I have a hard time meditating. My mind starts to wander and I just get frustrated. I meditate a lot better after yoga though...but that's only 1x/week.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I'm also a bulletproof coffee fiend, as well as an early riser. Last week I started hard work on a new revenue stream and only ended up getting about 5 hours of sleep every night. I had bulletproof coffee in the morning and had a steady energy throughout the day. I knew I was tired but it helped me think straight. Usually after a sleep that short I can't focus at all during the day. Since I'm also working a slowlane 9-5 the energy is important to keep my business funding coming :)

aernout

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Apr 23, 2014
I have a hard time meditating. My mind starts to wander and I just get frustrated. I meditate a lot better after yoga though...but that's only 1x/week.
Isn't the point of meditating that you train your mind to not wander off while meditating? I think you just need to keep practicing it.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
From my experience the night before is important.
As long as you don't stay up too late and get about 7-8 hours worth of sleep you should be fine.

If you want to be focused by 9 or 10 the next morning, wake up about 2 hours earlier and use the time to WAKE UP.
You could have some coffee or something, go running or to the gym before you start your day.
While WAKING UP my advice is that you already get your mind set for what you're going, for instance think about what you could write or go through some ideas. Sort of like "brainstorming" or as I affectionately call it "brain-masturbating".

Hope this helps you use more of the day.
Brain masterbating sounds right up my alley ;)

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
You need to do what is best for you, because what is best for you might not be what is the best for me, or for anyone else on this board.

I know that for myself, I don't think I could ever work just 4 hours a day, at least not on the beginning (which is where i am right now)
My daily routine is that I wake up at 5:30AM, go to the gym for 2 hours, come home, eat, read/catch up on news for an hour or so, and then start work around 9-10AM. I take breaks throughout the day, like I go running mid-afternoon with my dog everyday for an hour, or I'll take a break to run an errand or two. And then I spend my nights doing my most productive work, I put on headphones, turn up my music, and do as much work as I can for 2-3 hours.

I like to go to bed at night feeling like I made the most of my day, and productivity differs from person to person. So, if you can work 4 hours a day and feel as though you had a productive day and made most of your time, than go for it! :D
Great answer, thank you :)

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
I find that if I'm really focused on something, time is somewhat irrelevant. There have been times where I've put in a solid 10+ hours of actual work and it didn't bother me one bit.

If you are enjoying what you're doing or at least what you're doing is to help your future, why limit yourself to only 4 hours of work? I can't imagine your thought process being "Man, I'm really enjoying this, but I better stop now since it's been 4 hours."

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
I've been meditating for years and my mind will still wander. It's perfectly normal. When you notice it happening, just recognize it and steer your mind back to your breathing/mantra/whatever it is you use to focus.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
4 hours of productive work is far better than 8 hours of mediocre work.

I'm only really productive about 3 hours a day at my slowlane job, and it's usually in the mornings from 9-12. I usually get more done during those 3 hours than the other 5-7 hours I'm putting in.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Does it sound reasonable for me to sleep until I'm no longer tired. 11am. Then do 4 hours of focused work?
I notice when I wake up early. And try to work all day. I get easily distracted. And often find myself dozing off.
I'm currently working on a book, so I'm home 24/7. What are your thoughts on the minimal hours a entrepreneur should be working daily? And is it ok to sleep basically all day and work the rest of your time?

You have my utterly insignificant permission to work whichever way suits you. :D

Because ultimately that's the real motive behind your post. Validation. (And that is not an insult or a stab.)

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
You have my utterly insignificant permission to work whichever way suits you. :D

Because ultimately that's the real motive behind your post. Validation. (And that is not an insult or a stab.)
Lol why thank you :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My advice... Bust your a$$... Then in the very near future you will have earned the right to work 0 hours if you don't feel like working.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
"Most of you don't want success as much as you want to sleep. I'm here to tell you that if you want success you got to be willing to give up sleep. You've got to be willing to work off of 3 hours of sleep, 2 hours of sleep. If you really want to be successful, sometimes you're going to have to stay up 3 days in a row. Because if you go to sleep you might miss the opportunity to be successful." - Eric Thomas

My advice... Bust your a$$... Then in the very near future you will have earned the right to work 0 hours if you don't feel like working.

+1

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.