The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WADM App?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have you done apps before?

Here's a proposition for you...

Build the app as a contractor for my company.

If you build a nice version, I will do the following for you.

1) Split the profits 50/50.
2) I will pay for any marketing and administrative costs.
3) I will continuously market the product HERE at the forum (80,000 visitors come here a month!)
4) I will promote the product to my audience (tens of thousands of people)
5) Unlimited free advertising here for as long as the app is functional
6) You get experience
7) You get me as a business associate, hah.

Your job would be all technical ... build it, and update it when available.

And here's the other benefit that might not be so clear ... if you do a great job and are someone easy to work with, you might become "partner" material should I ever go down a startup route again. I know a little bit about making money. LOL. :)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Wow...imho that's a great offer from MJ and you'd have instant traffic to the app.

FYI I think it's a great idea. I'd pay $.99-$2.99 for it, and I'd probably use it all the time (I don't know as I often don't think about it, or don't have time/want to write it out).

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Have you done apps before?

Here's a proposition for you...

Build the app as a contractor for my company.

If you build a nice version, I will do the following for you.

1) Split the profits 50/50.
2) I will pay for any marketing and administrative costs.
3) I will continuously market the product HERE at the forum (80,000 visitors come here a month!)
4) I will promote the product to my audience (tens of thousands of people)
5) Unlimited free advertising here for as long as the app is functional
6) You get experience
7) You get me as a business associate, hah.

Your job would be all technical ... build it, and update it when available.

And here's the other benefit that might not be so clear ... if you do a great job and are someone easy to work with, you might become "partner" material should I ever go down a startup route again. I know a little bit about making money. LOL. :)

Dear OP:

You just complained about not having a job. If you don't take this proposition, you are an idiot and someone else will do it instead.

You just got offered a job, straight-up, no interview, with a multi-millionaire boss with more connections than you have had friends in your entire life.

Whether you want to be a Slowlane worker or a Fastlane entrepreneur, this is your golden ticket. Because you're not the only programmer on this forum, and many people here are action TAKERS.

My bet? OP doesn't take the job, leaves the forum never to be seen again, and lives in mediocrity. Call my bluff, I dare you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You just got offered a job, straight-up, no interview, with a multi-millionaire boss with more connections than you have had friends in your entire life.

This is not a job ... i'm offering it as a unpaid contract position that would pay on results/sales ... and if anyone else does apps, they are welcome to the same offer. Obviously, if the app sucks, there is no deal.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Just talked to a friend about this...the WADM is great, but we are usually too lazy to use it unless it's a REALLY important decision. Honestly, I don't have a pen and paper near me much any more since I always have my laptop, iPad, etc. And a sticky note wouldn't cut it.

I believe there's a solid need for this. I don't how large the market it is, but I believe it could be a nice source of revenue.

If I wasn't already working on something, I'd be interested if this guy doesn't take MJ up on the offer.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
MJ's offer was posted 31 minutes ago. How has this guy not responded yet?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
If the deal doesn't happen I will gladly come in place of the OP. Will be able to integrate it with the forum database possibly and add some extra features to make it a monthly subscription service.

@MJ: Are you open to hearing ideas about new tools that could be added to the forum, and members here would find them useful, all connected to the current forum database? I'd be willing to develop them myself, maintain them, and help advertise them under the same terms you offered to the OP for the WADM app idea. Please let me know!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am waiting for the next installment of this story. This caught most everyone's attention who visited this thread.

Hopefully this has a cinderella ending.

We'll see if the OP is an action taker!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Another thought...once the iPhone/Android App is developed, making a lightweight App for Macs and PCs would likely also do well, especiallyk if all of your WADMs synced between devices.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Another thought...once the iPhone/Android App is developed, making a lightweight App for Macs and PCs would likely also do well, especiallyk if all of your WADMs synced between devices.

Syncing would be a great idea. Here's another idea: how about if the WADM could be multi-user... so the "weights" could be set by each person who had an interest in the outcome. Going even further, each user could be ranked by reputation etc. so that someone "higher up" or more knowledgeable could have bigger input effect.

Making it multi-user would enable some interesting social network (oh no) possibilities, increase stickiness and viral potential. Gaaah stop me before i go even further down the cliched "let's make it social" path.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If anyone else is interested in this project, please contact me at the email address listed above.

(Please spare the OP from any ridicule or shame; he did contact me (rather quickly) and we did discuss the opportunity.)

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
Well there is obviously a NEED for this. Can you conquer the entry? You got the control, and a access point to easily scale. Looks it is resistant of your time as well. Sounds like a winner.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Wow! If any of you guys is an app developer you'd be mad not to drop whatever you do and start coding the app today.

Where I live iPhone is not supported so I even don't have a clue what makes a great app vs. lame app.

But I found an interesting spin which could make this app big:

Online Weighted Decision Making Matrix Tool | weighteddecision.com

Predefined questions! I think that could be the critical secret spice. You'll find a few great ones on that site (not all:)

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
If anyone else is interested in this project, please contact me at the email address listed above.
Started development on it right now and sent an email MJ.... will have a demo for you within 24 hours, and hopefully by the end of the night. Can you respond to my email with any specific requirements. Andrew........1114@gmail.com

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I'm no mobile app developer but I'll throw some use-cases out there for fun and because its a chance to say the phrase "use-cases":

1) WADM for HR hiring decisions. Teams that bring on new people often interview candidates separately and then make a group decision. WADM weighted by managerial or executive level of app users could be good way of making it a seamless more objective process where the top candidate just gets spit out as output. Could also be applied to promotions too. Would help because these areas are a concern for HR/legal depts who'd like a documented process to dispel protected class lawsuits

2) WADM for traders and investors. Connect WADM app to real-time data re: price/volume/fundamentals, etc. Preset templates for options traders, mutual funds, equities etc. Along same lines, maybe even branded WADM apps for financial advisors, a gee whiz tool sure to impress clients.

3) WADM for "where should we go out tonight". Multi-user input. Solves aggravating painful recurring 1st World problem of "where should we go out tonight". Mashup with Yelp and Zagat data. Guaranteed to reduce stress between couples roomates and friends.

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013
That is so great! I am a software test engineer and we use "use cases" many times during the day I just emailed MJ to ask if I can test out applications since that is what I been doing many years, would help out the application.
I'm no mobile app developer but I'll throw some use-cases out there for fun and because its a chance to say the phrase "use-cases":

1) WADM for HR hiring decisions. Teams that bring on new people often interview candidates separately and then make a group decision. WADM weighted by managerial or executive level of app users could be good way of making it a seamless more objective process where the top candidate just gets spit out as output. Could also be applied to promotions too. Would help because these areas are a concern for HR/legal depts who'd like a documented process to dispel protected class lawsuits

2) WADM for traders and investors. Connect WADM app to real-time data re: price/volume/fundamentals, etc. Preset templates for options traders, mutual funds, equities etc. Along same lines, maybe even branded WADM apps for financial advisors, a gee whiz tool sure to impress clients.

3) WADM for "where should we go out tonight". Multi-user input. Solves aggravating painful recurring 1st World problem of "where should we go out tonight". Mashup with Yelp and Zagat data. Guaranteed to reduce stress between couples roomates and friends.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
That is so great! I am a software test engineer and we use "use cases" many times during the day I just emailed MJ to ask if I can test out applications since that is what I been doing many years, would help out the application.

Cool! As a former developer I loved the ruthlessness of good test engineer people. Your post makes me think that a 3rd-party QA service would help solve a real problem: helping people test apps that have been developed via elance/odesk etc... an independent 3rd party could check out functionality before the payer signs off on it as "project complete"... only to later find that "Hey this app is totally broken in Firefox and Safari etc..." or "My site only works when the domain is www..." --- stuff that most non-technical business ppl would not notice or think about testing until too late. Maybe there's already a service like that out there.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Cool! As a former developer I loved the ruthlessness of good test engineer people. Your post makes me think that a 3rd-party QA service would help solve a real problem: helping people test apps that have been developed via elance/odesk etc... an independent 3rd party could check out functionality before the payer signs off on it as "project complete"... only to later find that "Hey this app is totally broken in Firefox and Safari etc..." or "My site only works when the domain is www..." --- stuff that most non-technical business ppl would not notice or think about testing until too late. Maybe there's already a service like that out there.
This. I could actually use one on an Android app I released. Pre-release would have been better...

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Wtf, how'd I miss this thread.

Not very hard to do. Nor even that hard to do well - I'll be curious to see what comes out of this, looks like there's an action-taker already taking the job on.

Guaranteed to make more than 95% of apps, simply because MJ will market it on here (and other channels).

It's been more than 24 hours. Did the demo happen?

Dilshad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 16, 2013

Agreed. There are several on-going benefits of QA testing. Those are if any bugs are found or funtionality or GUI interface issues for on coming versions.

liite

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 2, 2011
I bought the domain WADMapp.com its for sale. Or maybe I'll make it a WADM App review site or affiliate.

Why would you create an affiliate site with a Domain name like that? It goes completely against the principle of Control.
You control basically nothing. What if people stop developing WADM apps? The developers stop updating the app?

There are people right here in the thread that are software developers of some description. Why not reach out to one of those, Strike up a contract for them to develop the app for you then market it. Get another to Create a Website for the app.

This is a business ready to go. Right there. There is some demand for it, shown just by this forum alone, several people have left fantastic advice about what industries this would add VALUE too. MJ has given out a fantastic opportunity should you wish to use him (Which frankly seems too stupid not to). Seize the moment. It's almost completely automated. Pay someone to make the app, another to create a homepage, MJ to market and boom! The opportunity is right there.

Fu*k it what am i saying? PM me if you do not want that domain name, i will gladly purchase it from you. This is an opportunity too good to miss.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.