The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should i sell my house and rent an apartment to pay for my debt and gather capital to start my buisness (the house is already paid for compelttely)

Ask the Artificial Intelligence Bot

summon99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 28, 2024
Should i sell my house and rent an apartment to pay for my debt and gather capital to start my buisness (the house is already paid for compelttely)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eva (AI-Bot)

Fastlane AI
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 22, 2023
Deciding whether to sell your paid-off house to pay off debt and start a business is a significant financial decision that requires careful consideration. Here are some factors to consider before making your decision:

1. **Debt Repayment:** If the debt you have accumulated carries high-interest rates, selling your house to pay it off could save you money in the long run. However, if the debt has low-interest rates, it might be wiser to keep your house and look for other ways to pay off the debt.

2. **Business Capital:** Selling your house can provide you with the capital needed to start your business. However, keep in mind that starting a business always carries risks, and there's no guarantee of success. Make sure you have a solid business plan in place before using your home equity for this purpose.

3. **Housing Costs:** Renting an apartment may be cheaper in the short term compared to homeownership, as you won't have to worry about property taxes, maintenance, and repairs. However, rental costs can increase over time, while a fixed-rate mortgage provides payment stability.

4. **Personal Circumstances:** Consider your long-term housing needs and personal circumstances. If you have a family or plan to settle in the area for the foreseeable future, selling your house may not be the best option. However, if you are flexible and open to change, renting might offer more freedom.

5. **Market Conditions:** Research the real estate market in your area to determine if it's a good time to sell. Consider factors like property values, demand, and potential for appreciation. Additionally, think about the implications of selling in a buyer's market versus a seller's market.

6. **Financial Security:** Owning a home provides a sense of stability and can be a valuable asset for retirement or a financial emergency. Selling your house to fund a business venture is a risk that could jeopardize your long-term financial security.

Ultimately, the decision to sell your house to pay off debt and start a business depends on your financial goals, risk tolerance, and personal priorities. It may be beneficial to consult with a financial advisor or real estate professional to explore all your options and make an informed decision.

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
It's a bit too risky. You'd be giving up a major asset and the security that comes with owning a home. If you rent an apartment, your monthly costs might go up, and you'll miss out on the benefits of having a house like its value going up over time.
Starting a business is always a gamble, and if things don't go as planned, you could end up without a home and still in debt. It might be better to look for other ways to fund your business, like loans or finding investors, so you can keep your house and have a safety net.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't realize that in this section, only AI provides answers. Just saw an interesting topic and decided to chime in.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I always say the money and assets you have accumulated by trading your time is the hardest earned money of your life. It would take another lifetime to reaccumulate the same way.

Leave life savings alone. Treat it like a foundation to keep you secure while you build. Not something to give up to help you build.

If you lose bigger you win bigger. Someone can always write bigger checks than you. Always use other people's money. It is in unlimited supply.

Many will say they'd rather "own the whole thing" but the "whole thing" is playing an unlimited game with investor money. It is playing a very resource limited game with personal funds.

Success is also more likely with better capitalization.

I'm not saying be unwilling to spend $50k to help build a case for funds. But definitely don't risk your stability that you've worked hard to build, for likely worse results.

Keep your trajectory upward.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
start a business with no capital. sell upfront, owner finance, do consulting, etc.

what experience do you have taking money to start a business and being successful? if none, then hell no.

go fail at starting a business with no money first. once you get it going / find a business to buy / etc. THEN you can inject money and get an ROI.

money does not replace work / finding value prop / finding customers. not at first

App88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 12, 2021
If your house is paid off what's holding you back from leveraging that you don't have the biggest living expense (rent/mortgage) anymore?
What that means is, if you live frugal on W2 job for couple years, your savings should compound where you should be able to have your debt paid and also have initial capital for business.

REALTORenrique

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 7, 2023
Hey there!

It is always important to review all steps when it comes to the sale of your home. For example, are you going to have to pay capital gains tax? According to the IRS website, if the home has been your primary residence for 2 out the past fives year then the earnings from the sale would be tax free, DEPENDING on how much you make from the sale up to $250,000 if you are single, or if you are married/selling jointly, it is up to $500,000. I recommend consulting with your tax professional and/or your personal accountant. Just some other things to consider if you are planning on using the proceeds from the sale to start up your business/pay off debt.

Another thing to consider as well is although rent right now would be cheaper, typically they will raise the rents every year when your lease is renewed with the property management company, eventually becoming as much as, if not more, than a mortgage payment. I am not sure what home prices/sales are in your area, but just keep this in mind as well.

summon99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 28, 2024
Why does your business need so much capital to get started?
it doesnt it's the fact that there is tons of prexisting debt, can't start a buisness if im in debt

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
It is a terrible habit to ask for advice (even from AI) with so little context. Are you that bored to write a paragraph or two explaining your situation?

If writing a few paragraphs already feels like too much work, how will you handle starting a business? Starting a business requires a lot of time and effort, especially at the start.

summon99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 28, 2024
It is a terrible habit to ask for advice (even from AI) with so little context. Are you that bored to write a paragraph or two explaining your situation?

If writing a few paragraphs already feels like too much work, how will you handle starting a business? Starting a business requires a lot of time and effort, especially at the start.
nah i initially had no idea asking the ai was public i just wanted the general argument from the AI. mb lmao

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
nah i initially had no idea asking the ai was public i just wanted the general argument from the AI. mb lmao
What language is that? Is there a cat on top of the keyboard or something?

WilliamSherman

New Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 18, 2024
How come you expected to argue with the AI? Besides, I think hearing opinions from real people is more valuable than some randomly generated AI's wisdom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.