The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] ChickenHawk's Self-Published Fiction EBooks

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
What do you advertise on? Only facebook?
Mostly Facebook. But I've also advertised on BookBub, and a few other sites. The only problem is that BookBub advertising is notoriously hard to get, so Facebook is usually a better option, especially when you're first starting out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest12120

Plus, I don't know if your wife saw this, but there''s been some BIGTIME scamming going on.
She was just telling me the other day about these scams but I had no idea that it was so widespread that it would affect the payments.
As far as linking from the FB ads, to the reader, it LOOKS like I'm sending them straight to my Amazon book page, but I do this through a redirect.
Could you point me to some articles explaining how to do it properly?
Hope that helps!
It does! Thanks!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Could you point me to some articles explaining how to do it properly?

About Redirects: I can't recall the article where I found the coding, but I did have the HTML info saved in a Word file. Here's the code I used...

<html>

<head>

<title>INSERT TITLE HERE</title>

<META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.YOUR-TARGET-URL">

</head>

/html>

I'm definitely no HTML guru, but this has worked for me so far. I just changed the page title and added the Facebook tracking pixel, along with the destination Amazon URL. Also, when I do the Facebook ads, I have the link say "Amazon", not my Web site, because the person who clicks wouldn't even see my Web site. It's just a quick pass-through, invisible ideally.

Like I said, I'm no Web guru. There are others on this forum who know a ton more than I do. Good luck!

She was just telling me the other day about these scams but I had no idea that it was so widespread that it would affect the payments.

Oh yeah. It's horrible. Some of these scammers received All-Star bonuses. One guy was bragging how he earned like $60,000 a month (or something like that) on books that didn't actually get read. Personally, I think that genuine authors would have a case for a class-action lawsuit against Amazon, because Amazon could NOT, in fact, track actual pages read, which gave scammers a weakness to exploit. It's really crazy and definitely impacted genuine authors.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Gosh, it's been FOREVER since I updated this thread, and honestly, I feel a little guilty, because this forum was such a HUGE help as I got started. So in light of that, here's a quick update, closing out 2015. I just finished my tax prep, and here's an annual summary, along with some observations.

Annual 2015 Summary
  • Gross Earnings: $280,000
  • Advertising Expenses: $43,000
  • Net Approximate Earnings: $237,000

Some 2015 Observations
  • Advertising: Holy crap! Did you see that giant advertising expense? Well, sadly, that's a big change from the earlier days of self-pubbing. I'm sure many of you will recall that I repeatedly stated that I did almost zero advertising. Not anymore. Most of my 2015 advertising was on Facebook, but I will say this... It's easy to lose a ton of money on Facebook ads. I've personally found them to be profitable, but that's not universal. If, for whatever reason, your book (including its blurb, excerpt, cover, or whatever) isn't compelling, you can spend a ton of money on advertising and and not see the corresponding book-sales. meaning you'd lose money, not gain money.
  • Book Covers. Until recently, I was designing my own covers. They were decent, and actually probably better than a lot of the other stuff out there. Not anymore. Almost everyone, it seems, has stepped up their game, going to professional cover-designers. If your cover doesn't look like a bigtime publisher's cover, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.
  • Kindle Unlimited. Oh, how I loathe it. Probably, the majority of my 2015 earnings came not from sales, but from borrows via Kindle Unlimited (where authors are paid per pages read, not actual book sales). But the entire program seems to be on a death-spiral due to scammers and other trickery that is hugely deflating the earnings of genuine authors. And it's also a major force in pushing down ebook prices. Hopefully, Kindle Unlimited will die a gruesome death in the not-too-distant future.
  • Price Competition. It's tougher than ever out there. Bigtime publishers are now competing head-to-head with indie publishers on price, so it's not nearly as easy as it used to be, especially if you're new to the writing world. For example, most bigtime publishers were listing their ebooks for approximately $9.99. Now, you see traditional publishers pricing some of their ebooks as low as $2.99 or $3.99. This has made it harder for indies to compete, because just slashing the price isn't enough to gain an edge. This means you've got to up your game as far as the writing, cover, and promotional activities.
  • Comparison to the Previous Year. Just like last year, I'm so very, very thankful for my earnings and the opportunity to compete in this biz. My earnings were down compared to the previous year, but competition aside, my reduced earnings were the result of two things -- fewer books published and Kindle Unlimited. This year, I should be releasing more books, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Final Thoughts
  • How About That Gold Rush? In short, if you're looking for a gold rush, self-pubbing isn't what it used to be. But there's still very nice money to be made, especially if you're a good writer who produces a lot and is willing to keep up on trends. Some people are still making a TON of money out there. Hey, I consider my earnings a ton, but there are still authors making double or triple what I make.
  • Higher Barriers to Entry. Yup, they're definitely getting higher. The days when you could throw up a book, create your own cover, do zero advertising, and make a ton of money, well, those days might be over. On one hand, that's a bummer. On the other hand, increased barriers to entry probably gives an advantage not only to established authors, but also to authors willing to take those risks and make those investments.
So happy to see your progress! I've been in and out of doubting my own self-publishing endeavors, but I must say, every time I see a post by you or @Held for Ransom it motivates the hell out of me to keep pushing.

You mentioned something about the "pages read scam" and it reminded me of an incident I had. I was browsing the store (I've actually grown to like reading eBooks. . . slightly) just to see what was out there. Came across a non-fiction title. Now, I was reluctant as hell to spend the $0.99 on it (was worried about wasting my time) but thought, "what the hell." So, the "book" was around 80 pages or so, yet when I was reading through, the nice little text in the bottom corner of the Kindle App informed me I still had 60+ hours left of reading in the book. WHAT!? Now, I'm a slow reader, but come on. Anyway, I was stuck in an endless loop of "bonus material" and got pretty pissed off (felt like going to a timeshare seminar you can't seem to escape.)

I returned the book and looked up the also boughts. Browsing through the Look Inside, almost all of the books had the same introduction, sales copy, etc.

Sorry, rambling here a bit. My question: what the hell are those things? I'm definitely never buying non-fiction again on Kindle.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the updates! Lights a serious fire under my a$$ and helps me push forward.

G

Guest12120

Here's the code I used...
Seems easy enough. Thanks!

What audiences do you target with your FB Ads. My wife has been targeting people that like popular authors in her genre (YA). But she has only sent traffic to her website (sign up for free short novel) and ran FB lead ads. All done just to collect email addresses. She'll be running some ads linked to her book listing next week.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Oh yeah. It's horrible. Some of these scammers received All-Star bonuses. One guy was bragging how he earned like $60,000 a month (or something like that) on books that didn't actually get read. Personally, I think that genuine authors would have a case for a class-action lawsuit against Amazon, because Amazon could NOT, in fact, track actual pages read, which gave scammers a weakness to exploit. It's really crazy and definitely impacted genuine authors.

I'd join it.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
So happy to see your progress! I've been in and out of doubting my own self-publishing endeavors, but I must say, every time I see a post by you or @Held for Ransom it motivates the hell out of me to keep pushing.
That's so wonderful to hear! Thanks so much!

About the "pages read scam" ...it reminded me of an incident I had. ...The "book" was around 80 pages or so, yet I still had 60+ hours left of reading in the book. WHAT!?...I was stuck in an endless loop of "bonus material"...Sorry, rambling here a bit. My question: what the hell are those things? I'm definitely never buying non-fiction again on Kindle.

Oh yeah, what you describe is EXACTLY how scammers have been gaming the Kindle Unlimited system, and it's definitely not limited to non-fiction. They were putting out 10,000-page "books" jam-packed with garbage -- unrelated stuff, foreign "translations," recipes, erotica, whatever. It didn't even matter, because the only real goal was to get readers to click to the end of the book, even if thousands of pages were skipped. (These books had links within the book that said stuff like, "Click here for a chance to win a Kindle Fire!", which took readers to the back of the book. Or "Click here to read the story you THOUGHT you bought..." The contentthe reader bought was at the end, so THAT also triggered a full read.)

Let's do the math. At .47 cents per page, here's the KU earnings per book, assuming the reader reaches the end.
  • 400 pages = $1.88 "royalty"
  • 10,000 pages - $47 "royalty"
  • 20,000 pages = $94 "royalty"
  • 3,000 pages = $14.10 "royalty" (I used this figure, because Amazon recently set a maximum page length.)
Now, think of all that money coming out of a shared pot, and you can see how the earnings of real authors would be greatly reduced. I can't remember where I read it, but someone estimated that these scammers earned $3 million dollars within the last few months. That's $3 million dollars robbed from real authors (not Amazon), because the pool of money was shared. Crazy stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
What audiences do you target with your FB Ads. My wife has been targeting people that like popular authors in her genre (YA). But she has only sent traffic to her website (sign up for free short novel) and ran FB lead ads. All done just to collect email addresses. She'll be running some ads linked to her book listing next week.
I target popular authors, too. But I also target lookalike audiences. For example, I can have Facebook build me a list of people similar to my Facebook fans. But honestly, my results between the popular authors and lookalikes aren't all that different. I just do different targeting to mix it up.

I've seen the methods where you offer a free ebook in exchange for an email address. I can see the appeal of that, but so far, I've avoided doing that, and here's why: I want my list filled with buyers, not freebie seekers. Plus, it's one more thing to worry about, getting the free book to the "customer." I do see the appeal though and would love to see it pay off for you guys!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I'd join it.
About Any Potential Class Action Lawsuits...Funny, I was thinking about it this morning, and decided that I wouldn't join it. Oh sure, I'd WANT to, because I do think that Amazon made some pretty serious false claims here. Repeatedly, Amazon assured authors they'd be paid for actual pages read. And repeatedly, they said that authors would NOT be paid for pages skipped. Obviously, this wasn't true. And this cost real authors a lot of money, especially when you throw in All Star Bonus loot.

But here's the rub... Authors with the biggest claim to that money are probably the least likely to sue. Let's say a non-scammy author earns $50K a month from Amazon, I don't see them risking it by joining a class-action lawsuit.

What Amazon NEEDS to do is claw back the money from the scammers and redistribute it to the authors who were robbed. But I don't really see that happening. Do you?

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Hey Y'all, can't help it with all the questions about facebook ads! I interviewed Mike Shreeve - the MASTER of Facebook ads - on my blog.
Check it out, should clear up a bunch of your questions.
The Facebook Ads for Authors Crash Course is out of Beta-testing, so can't give it away for free anymore, but it is being constantly updated.
See my URL in my profile if you are interested.

Here are the basics:
FacebookADS-done-Right-small.png

This is the "crash course", the validation phase is not mentioned here.

If your facebook ads are not profitable it's because you didn't VALIDATE(test) your book BEFORE you made it.

The Top 3 Reasons Facebook Ads Fail

https://medium.com/@ErocZ/the-top-3...fitable-author-series-4cdcd0cc92e8#.mngwhjlvc

Brgs
Eric

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
749%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
What Amazon NEEDS to do is claw back the money from the scammers and redistribute it to the authors who were robbed. But I don't really see that happening. Do you?

Screwing the producers like this is always the death knell of the platform. Paypal did it; they'll hound you like demons if you have their money, or they think you do. But screw your producer base? NBD. That's why I and millions of other people will use Stripe or Square a similar service ten times out of ten over PayPal if we have a choice. I'd even do it if it was more expensive. Amazon needs to claw that money back. If they don't, that's the first step in the process of their self-publishing service being replaced by something else.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 18, 2014
I target popular authors, too. But I also target lookalike audiences. For example, I can have Facebook build me a list of people similar to my Facebook fans. But honestly, my results between the popular authors and lookalikes aren't all that different. I just do different targeting to mix it up.

Wow awesome advice, thank you so much for sharing! That's a big spend for FB ads! What have you seen as a great CPC and click through rate to aim for?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Wow awesome advice, thank you so much for sharing! That's a big spend for FB ads! What have you seen as a great CPC and click through rate to aim for?
You're so welcome!

Right now, I'm running two campaigns. One has a click-through rate of 10%, with a CPC of $0.26. The other has a click-through rate of 5% with a CPC of $0.28. The CPC is on the high side right now, because I've been running these campaigns for a while now. I've found that the CPC gradually creeps up the longer a campaign runs, and the more money you're spending. Spend more = get worse rates. Crazy.

Also, isn't it interesting how the CPC for both of these campaigns are relatively close? FB, it seems, will change your advertising rate based on your click-through. Basically, it's like FB knows how much they want to charge per click, and adjust the CPM accordingly.

Another Note: I see a lot of posts where authors are losing money on FB ads, and they ask, "What's wrong with my ad?" In most cases, the ads aren't the problem. It's the book, as listed on Amazon. Maybe the blurb is off, the cover isn't great, and more often than not, the first page of their book is boring. If you can't grab a reader on the first page, it gets really, really hard to make money, even if the book gets super-exciting on page three. Sad, but true.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
Fantastic to see such a great update - I've been following this thread for the last two years, from your big breakout. I knew Amazon had introduced that new pages read function last July, and figured sooner or later someone was going to figure how to scam the system. I didn't realize someone already had! I will have to check that out on kboards.

Also, isn't the pot only like $12m? So folks are scamming 25% of the pot? Wow.

BTW I love the Then and Now photos. Last week when I was off a few days for Easter I was so much more productive and happier at home and then I had to go back to the mind numbing dullness of the office. We are in a lull at the moment and some politics are being played... somewhere, so there isn't much to do and I've noticed that inertia carrying over into home life. Time to make a break, but I wanted to experiment and pick up tricks using ebooks, so I should just shut up and do it already :) Your posts have always been inspiring and helpful!

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I ...figured sooner or later someone was going to figure how to scam the system. I didn't realize someone already had! I will have to check that out on kboards.

BTW I love the Then and Now photos. Last week when I was off a few days for Easter I was so much more productive and happier at home and then I had to go back to the mind numbing dullness of the office. We are in a lull at the moment and some politics are being played... Your posts have always been inspiring and helpful!

Thanks so much for your kind words about my posts and the then/now photos! This forum has been hugely helpful to me, so it's always nice to hear that my posts are contributing back somehow.

Office politics...Ugh. Isn't it funny how they're constant wherever you go? It's always something. Always. Something.

Since I've mentioned the KDP Scammers, here's the KBoard thread where authors are discussing it. The thread is now locked because the discussion became a little heated. In good news, it does seem that Amazon has cleaned things up a bit. Let's hope the trend contnues.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,231449.0.html

About "shutting up and doing it already," YES! You should definitely do that. The neat thing is you really can't lose. If the book doesn't do as well as you hope, you will have picked up a ton of great knowledge that will help you going forward. And if the book succeeds beyond your expectations, you're on your way to building a foundation for future books. If you don't want to commit to writing a whole novel, you could always split the difference and write a novella, like a 30K word story. My best friend did that and had encouraging results. (Her story was a spicy dark romance, btw.) If nothing else, a 30K novella is a great way to see your writing "voice" resonates with readers. :)

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
CH, congrats on a great year! Thanks so much for the advice here.

How big of an audience did you use for facebook to build the lookalike? I use a large email list, but the results have been dismal compared to targeting authors in the same niche. I will test ads from my facebook fan page now.

I have a nice sell-through, though, so that's part of the reason my ROI (Return on Investment) on FB ads is usually positive.

How do you calculate the sell through? amazon affiliates is illegal in my state, so the only way I know is to track daily sales of the next book and see if there's an increase :banghead:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
CH, congrats on a great year! Thanks so much for the advice here.
Thanks so much, and you're very welcome!

How big of an audience did you use for facebook to build the lookalike? I use a large email list, but the results have been dismal compared to targeting authors in the same niche. I will test ads from my facebook fan page now.
When I first built my facebook lookalike lists, I had about 2,500 people on my email list. But numbers aside, one thing that helped, I think, is that my list is fairly good. I've never offered any incentives (like a free book or story) for people to get on my mailing list, and I've never run any campaigns to build my list. Also, this is a list I've built myself of true fans, so it's probably also better than any list that could be purchased.

On one hand, this means that my list is smaller than it might have been otherwise. But at the same time, this means that my list has a lot of buyers, not freebie seekers. I think that helps. Currently, there are nearly 4,000 people on my mailing list.

I've also built lookalikes based on my Facebook fan page and, as you mentioned, lists that target fans of similar authors. My goal is to someday BE one of those writers people target. Hah!

How do you calculate the sell through? amazon affiliates is illegal in my state, so the only way I know is to track daily sales of the next book and see if there's an increase :banghead:
When I first started FB ads last Summer, I had a pretty good baseline established. For example, I knew how many books I sold WITHOUT advertising. So when I started advertising, it was fairly easy to see the difference. I used to track ROI really, REALLY closely. But as time went on, it was taking too much time away from my writing. So now, I just keep a loose eye on the advertising and stop certain ads when the click-through rate gets too low, or the cost gets too high. Most days, I don't even look at my FB ad stats. I probably check every week or so, sometimes even less.

It's always a tough balancing act between the writing and the other stuff. And hair-washing. Somehow, that's always last on my list.

nichiseven

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 1, 2016
CH congratulations for your insanely well-earned results! The Now does indeed look far more fabulous than the Old. I really appreciate you sharing your personal experiences as a self-pubber. Helps me to understand what I'll be getting myself into from a realistic standpoint. I wish you every success and look forward to congratulating you repeatedly in future :)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
CH congratulations for your insanely well-earned results! The Now does indeed look far more fabulous than the Old. I really appreciate you sharing your personal experiences as a self-pubber. Helps me to understand what I'll be getting myself into from a realistic standpoint. I wish you every success and look forward to congratulating you repeatedly in future :)
Thanks so much, @nichiseven! As you move forward on this, I'll be interested to see your progress, and of course, we'll all be cheering you on. Good luck! :)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Well, in the category of "oversharing," here's a funny problem I've been dealing with lately.

Middle Eastern men have been emailing graphic wiener-pix to my Facebook Fan page.
It started all at once, maybe a few weeks ago. Every few days, I get a handful of new surprises in my Facebook in-box. Some are still-images. Some are live-action videos, close-ups. And I mean CLOSE-UPS. They are all disgusting. None of these messages originate in countries where I have a decent fan-base, such as the USA or UK. (I know they're all Middle-Eastern men, because of their names, pictures, and the fact that their messages are never in English, but rather in what looks to be Arabic, along with a few other languages.)

I briefly debated shutting down my Facebook in-box (assuming that's even possible), but then found a "Country Restrictions" feature where I could make my page "invisible" in certain countries. I changed my settings, and am hoping that does the trick. My "invisible" countries now include: Algeria, France, Indonesia, Kenya, Pakistan, Tunisia, and a few more.

I'm filing this under: Problems I NEVER anticipated.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
Seems like after a break through success, you get to be more business-y. In a day, how much time do you spend on the writing if you don't mind answering.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Seems like after a break through success, you get to be more business-y. In a day, how much time do you spend on the writing if you don't mind answering.
I don't mind answering at all! But alas, I don't have a decent answer. When I'm up against a hard deadline, I might spend 12 hours/day writing (or more). When I've just finished a book, it drops down to zero while I catch up on other stuff. Plus, I edit a lot as I go, which is part of the reason I write so darn slowly. So, even if I'm "writing" for 12 hours, it might be that I'm really writing for only six of those hours, because I spend the other six tweaking something from the day before.

When I'm in writing-mode, here's how how the time usually goes. I start out by editing what I wrote the day before. Sometimes, this can take hours. It doesn't FEEL like it's taking hours, but I'll often find myself surprised that several hours have passed while I've been tweaking one particular chapter. After I'm reasonably happy with what I wrote the day before, I move onto writing fresh stuff. I don't stop until I've reached my word count. When I'm in "writing-mode," my word count is around 1,500 to 2,000 words/day (or when it's crunch-time, a bit higher). Sometimes (but alas, very rarely), I reach that word count at by five o'clock in the afternoon. Sometimes, it's three in the morning.

Sorry for such a long, convoluted answer. It's also complicated by the fact that the more books I have out, the more time I spend on maintaining those past books. There are things like advertising, responding to fan mail, trying to keep a Facebook presence (I'm generally sucky at that, but am trying to do better), listening to podcasts, etc., to keep up on self-pubbing trends, stuff like that.

Hope this helps! :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
[QUOTE="ChickenHawk, post: 540009, member: 11534]

It's also complicated by the fact that the more books I have out, the more time I spend on maintaining those past books. There are things like advertising, responding to fan mail, trying to keep a Facebook presence (I'm generally sucky at that, but am trying to do better), listening to podcasts, etc., to keep up on self-pubbing trends, stuff like that.

[/QUOTE]

Ditto for me. When i started, I basically clung to the HFR formula: 1. write the next book. 2. have a mailing list.

Now it's advertising, fb ads, building mailing lists, making sure blurbs show correctly each time i change and reupload a book, affiliate links, etc etc. It is quite easy to really get into micromanagement and also the comfort of this to avoid writing the next book. I used to kind of wonder howcome so many authors were focused not on 1 above but asked random marketing questions - well, now i see it. Anything to do anything but write the next one.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
For anyone who's interested, here's a follow-up on my problem of receiving obscene pix to my Faceook Fan page. I've solved 95% of the problem by using Facebook's "country restrictions" feature, adding countries as I go. As of now, my Facebook fan page is "hidden" in the following countries: Algeria, France, Tunisia, Kenya, Brazil, Portugal, Indonesia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran, Iraq, Germany, Dominican Republic, Argentina, Spain, Ecuador.

Some additional insights:
  1. If I had to go back in time, I would've, right from its launch, limited my Facebook Fan-Page to countries where I actually sell a decent amount of books: USA, UK, Canada & Australia. I may still end up doing this.
  2. These unwanted messages GREATLY vary by region. From the Middle Eastern countries/users, I get obscene pix, mostly of male genitals. I'm talking close-ups, live-action shots (like mini-porno movies that play automatically), just really offensive stuff. From the Spanish-speaking countries, I get messages that aren't so much offensive as unwanted/spammy/whatever -- pix of flowers, things in Spanish like, "hi, how are you doing?"
  3. A side benefit of restricting my countries is that my Facebook response-time has improved. When I was receiving these unwanted messages, I wasn't responding, but rather deleting them, banning them, marking them as spam, whatever. This, apparently, made me "less responsive" according to Facebook algos. It also wasted time, since deleting messages on a Facebook fan page isn't a terribly quick process. (And I HAD to delete them, because I sure as hell didn't like opening my message box to obscene pix every day.)
In summary: Especially if you write romance, I'd highly recommend looking at your Facebook country-restrictions NOW, before it becomes a problem.

Bonus Tip: Sometimes, it's hard to tell the country of the person messaging you, because it's not always listed on their page. You can sometimes figure it out by looking at the pages of their friends. This was how I discovered that some of my messages were originating in Ecuador.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Was hoping for a bit of guidance. Recently I've stalled heavily on my book. I'm fearing that I chose too much of a niche that I picked solely for market value and not enough for how much I enjoyed it. I've barely read anything within the niche and, frankly, I don't think that I have too much interest in it. Interest may not necessarily be a big deal for a number of a Fastlane ventures (where your time is focused on marketing, research, distribution, etc) but with writing and the vast majority of time is essentially product development, it feels exceptionally draining. Or I could just be whining. I'm not sure.

Do you happen to have any insights on this? Would you suggest pushing through and writing for the end result, a la Held_For_Ransom, or possibly taking a step back and reevaluating my category and going for something I might not struggle with so much?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Was hoping for a bit of guidance. Recently I've stalled heavily on my book. I'm fearing that I chose too much of a niche that I picked solely for market value and not enough for how much I enjoyed it. I've barely read anything within the niche ...Would you suggest pushing through and writing for the end result, a la Held_For_Ransom, or possibly taking a step back and reevaluating my category and going for something I might not struggle with so much?

Hmmmm... That depends. How far are you along in the process? For example, if you're planning to write a 40K book, and you're 20K there, I'd say push ahead, even if you end up shortening the story. If, however, you're only 5K words into a 90K book, you might want to start fresh in a niche that works better for you.

Some additional thoughts/ideas:
  • Others might disagree, but IMO, you MUST read more in your niche (whether it's your current niche, or a new one). This will tell you the "rules." Does that niche require a happily-ever-after? Is the sex explicit or "off-camera"? How much cursing is allowed? For example, if you're writing a cozy mystery, and you drop an F-bomb and/or show explicit sex, you'll probably get some grief from readers/reviewers. If you're writing a billionaire bad boy romance, and DON'T show the sex, you'll get similar grief. Every genre has its own rules. You can bend them, or heck, even break them, but you SHOULD know them. When you consider how very, veeeeery long it takes to write a book, it's worth the time up-front to research the niche by reading at least five of the top sellers. Otherwise, you stand a risk of spending hours and hours writing something, only to alienate your audience by breaking a basic rule of the genre.
  • If you don't have a lot of time and/or money for books, you could always browse the Amazon's top 100 free ebooks and skim some of them, assuming they're in your genre. If time is the real issue, you could listen to audiobooks in your genre. That way, you could do your research while doing other things.
  • I will tell you this. Writing is a slog. Even if it's in a niche you enjoy, odds are pretty good you'll have lots of days where you don't enjoy it. Lots of days, I HATE it. And lots of days, I'm pretty sure what I'm writing is crap. But usually, when I read it the next day, I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that it's better than I thought. It's a really weird dynamic, because you've got to just keep pushing, pushing, pushing. Write that next sentence, and then the next one after that. This turns into a paragraph. Write the next paragraph, and the next. Then you have a chapter, and so-on. Eventually, you'll probably find that you write some types of scenes faster than others. (For example, sometimes, I can whip out a funny chapter in just a couple of hours, but an intense, emotional chapter might take me ten times that.)
  • To break out of your rut, here's another idea: If you do an outline in advance, you could even write your book out-of-order, meaning if you're in the mood to write an action scene that day, you write that, even the action scene doesn't occur until later in the book. I did that with my breakout book, meaning that I wrote it completely out of order, tackling various scenes depending on mood that day. So, if you're in a rut, you could always skip the chapter you're stuck on, and move ahead, with plans to write the chapter you skipped at a later date.
  • About Market Value: Remember too, this can be a mixed bag. A couple years ago, I think it was easier to break into those super-hot genres. But now, the competition is even more intense. If you're picking a genre because it's super-hot, that also means you're going to have some pretty intense competition, even moreso than when @HeldforRansom started his amazing thread. I was on the KBoards the other day, and some writers were saying that they've abandoned the super-hot niches, because they're too competitive. The example one gave, in fact, was that they'd switched from billionaire romances to cozy mysteries, with some success, because there was less competition in cozies. (Not sure how true that is, only relaying what they said.)
Not sure if all of this rambling helps, but please keep us posted on what you decide, and how it goes. Good luck! :)

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
I don't mind answering at all! But alas, I don't have a decent answer. When I'm up against a hard deadline, I might spend 12 hours/day writing (or more). When I've just finished a book, it drops down to zero while I catch up on other stuff. Plus, I edit a lot as I go, which is part of the reason I write so darn slowly. So, even if I'm "writing" for 12 hours, it might be that I'm really writing for only six of those hours, because I spend the other six tweaking something from the day before.

When I'm in writing-mode, here's how how the time usually goes. I start out by editing what I wrote the day before. Sometimes, this can take hours. It doesn't FEEL like it's taking hours, but I'll often find myself surprised that several hours have passed while I've been tweaking one particular chapter. After I'm reasonably happy with what I wrote the day before, I move onto writing fresh stuff. I don't stop until I've reached my word count. When I'm in "writing-mode," my word count is around 1,500 to 2,000 words/day (or when it's crunch-time, a bit higher). Sometimes (but alas, very rarely), I reach that word count at by five o'clock in the afternoon. Sometimes, it's three in the morning.

Hope this helps! :)

Apologies for nitpicking, I really want to know the process of a best-seller, and could also use guidance. I suppose the 12 hours isn't a normal writing schedule, more of an umbrella of all the functions of authoring like the editing, plotting, reading, marketing, emails, etc, etc. I find that I can edit so much more than I can write the fresh new material, as writing fresh material to me is mentally draining. I'm still new at this, but I find myself able to write new material for a mere 1-1.5 hours before my neurons start imploding, and i'm churning less quality material that follows my outline; so I need to take more, and more phat breaks as to give my mind time to recuperate. Is the same true for best-sellers or do you find yourself able to churn out high quality material for a longer period of time due to more time spent in writing or other factor?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.