The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD:- 3 ventures > Menswear Brand - Expanding abroad - New sales channels.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hey every one,

Just realised that every one is talking about the current project which they are working on and I am kind of derailing their thread by talking about my ventures, so thought it will be better if I make one of my own thread and keep you guys updated on what I am doing.

So, from next month I will be free from my existing project. I was working on getting our companies accounts and everything ready for IPO submission in Asia, now they are being submitted so I task is done.

Now, I am coming back to London and taking on 3 new projects:-

1:- Creating a new menswear clothing brand.

I have already got the name and logo for it, need to get the trademark for them (any on in here got trademark of their brands in EU, Australia and USA?). Getting Uk trademark seems easy, but the international one seems pretty confusing, so I might have to call them up.

As for products selections, from day 1 we will be stocking 100 of products. I want to look professional from day 1 and one of the best way to look like a big brand is to have 100's of products from Jeans to t-shirt, shorts to jackets, underwear to accessories etc.

So far designing the t-shirt, now getting the jeans and trousers designed. For shorts and jackets we will just modify our existing items as they will fit in with our image.

How I am thinking of selling them? E-commerce website, ebay, amazon, existing wholesalers and retailers who buys from us, importers from abroad.

Launch time? I am guessing by 1st week of november I will have all the merchandise in our London warehouse.

What is the unique things about this menswear? The clothing's will be one of the most comfortable and best fitted clothing you have own. I know this personally as I have been making clothing (well using special sort of denim fabric and modifying the general size spec)for myself for last 7-8 years. Its very hard for me to wear other branded clothing and feel comfortable. At that time this idea came in to my mind, to create a brand of clothing which you will feel extremely comfortable to wear, stylish and mid range priced.

2:- Expanding our wholesale businesses abroad.

As you guys know, we have manufacturing factories and we also wholesale clothing in UK. Now, we are planning to expand. We will go to Eastern European countries such as Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland etc and build relationships with the wholesalers and big retailers, then they can stock our products.

We won't need offices in all those countries just now, as we have office and warehouse in UK so we can use that as base, however if we do see that our business is expanding and we will need to have a warehouse in those countries then we will have to get an office.

So in 2 weeks time, I will have to make cold calls or walk in to the retailers and wholesalers in those Eastern European countries and have to close deals. I know I will be rusty, as its been a while since I have done those cold sales, but hey, its going to be like tiger is finally going out to jungle from the zoo.

If any of you are pro in cold calls and walk in B2B sales then will appreciate some tips, as it will help me to clean out the rust quicker. Also, if any of you are in one those European countries then it will be helpful if you can guide me where those business are located and might even do some ventures together. After all, those are new countries for me.

At the same time, we will be going to Australia and USA. Now, I won't be covering Australia and USA this year as I will be stuck in Europe, so my dad will be flying there. Again, if any of you are in Autralia and LA then it will be good to talk and gather more data and brain storm about the ventures.

For USA and Australia we will have to do a bit of style research as fashion in Europe and rest of the world varies, so we will need to get ideas of the current trend and then we will make products accordingly.

You must have realised that I don't think about the price point that much, there is a reason for it, since we manufacture ourself so price wise no one can come near us if its like for like product.

So we are mainly looking for the style, quality and fit.

3:- Implementing new sales channels and streamlining the sales process of our UK wholesale operation.

My sister was running the UK show on her own, she was also studying law and couldn't give the business full attention. As a result, the sales guys thought it was christmas time and started stealing, getting lazy and doing their own side business while they were on our payroll.

We fired one and another is about to be shown the door as well as he is simply not performing.

So, I will have to get some new sales guys, make some changes to our wholesale e-commerce site as its not converting the traffic, start to do email marketing, sell the same items on retail (ebay, amazon and e-commerce) and organise the warehouse as they messed up the storage system, as a result it takes them ages to find things as a result they delay despatching the items to clients.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, you guys will be thinking, am I crazy, how about my social life and everything. Well, this how I usually work, I will work like a maniac for 5-8 months and once everything is set then I will kick back for a bit, then will take on new adventures. Yes I know that it is quite a lot to take on board and it has been taking its toll on me over the last several weeks, since I have been going to bed at 5-6 am at night and getting up at 11 in the morning etc. But things will start to calm down once everything is in place.

You see, when you are building a multi storey building then everything goes crazy as you have 100s of things happening at the same time, 100's of problems are coming your way etc. But after 2-3 years when you have built the building then its peace and calm for at least 50-70 years.

Building new businesses are pretty much the same. If I am being honest, by my standard, I have had a pretty easy last 1-2 years, as it wasn't too much maniac work load when we were preparing our companies for IPO. And being a jungle tiger, I kind of got bored of that easy plain sailing, so thought lets take the boat out for some adventure ride. So here I am.

I am not doing any of these to become financially free, I became financially free 5-6 years ago. I am doing these things because I LOVE creating new things, I LOVE doing something that will give value to people and will make them better than what they are. I LOVE taking something which is not functioning and making it work.

Hope this thread will inspire some of you to take actions and go for your dream. Doesn't matter how far your destination is, you will have to start, without starting you are not going to go even an inch closer to your destination. So have no fear and go for it. World is your oyster.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Crazy!!! Good luck man! I think I am like you in a way since I work hard for a few months at a time then take a little while off :D But seriously! Exciting!!

Get Threaded

On a mission to dominate the world of brows
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jun 27, 2014
Australia

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
WOW- loved reading this. Thanks for posting! Here's the link for the Australian trademark http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/get-the-right-ip/trade-marks/apply-for-a-trade-mark/

It's pretty straight forward-let me know if you have any questions! Just about to look at UK trademarking (AUS/NZ/USA complete) ...any suggestions?

Hey,

Here's where you do the UK trademark:- http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm.htm

Apparently, in here you can do the trademark for every country in the world:- http://www.wipo.int/services/en/index.html#protect But this site looks pretty confusing.

Where did you get your US trademark done?

Natural

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 7, 2013
Awesome project. Looking forward to follow it.. I've started my own progress thread as well- not the same niche though.

I have some solid advice I got 1on1 from #1 employee for social media for Bloomfire & KISSmetrics to 7figure software businesses regarding e-mail list building and check-out page that could help you convert more (haven't tested it yet, but will soon).

Send me a PM if you want to bounce ideas on Skype for e-commerce/e-mail/converting as I will be going through the same very soon.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Awesome project. Looking forward to follow it.. I've started my own progress thread as well- not the same niche though.

I have some solid advice I got 1on1 from #1 employee for social media for Bloomfire & KISSmetrics to 7figure software businesses regarding e-mail list building and check-out page that could help you convert more (haven't tested it yet, but will soon).

Send me a PM if you want to bounce ideas on Skype for e-commerce/e-mail/converting as I will be going through the same very soon.

Hey,

Yeah sure, I am already planning for the email marketing and finalising the strategy.

Send me the Skype.

LC

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Update

MENSWEAR:-

Well, just got the first FIT SAMPLE of my menswear brands t-shirt. Probably one of the most significant time of my life. So thats me wearing it and checking the fit. Its really comfortable and fits absolutely perfectly as you can see:-

anydl1.jpg

Everything that I make in my brand, i will be using them. So I will know exactly how the fit is, how it can be improved, what is the benefits etc. That is actually one of the USP as well, as I am involved with designing, manufacturing, sampling and also feedback. Other brands, they out source majority of the stuff.

I am redoing the Logo again, realised that it was just too flat. So as a result, the tags, moulds, t-shirt prints all has been delayed by couple of days. A rookie mistake. Since I have a lot in my plate I can't afford to go back to something that I have ticked off.

Lesson to learn:- Take time, think it through, but when you tick something off then DO NOT COME BACK TO IT. Its like firing a gun. You think before firing it.

Also, finalised the jeans design, finalised the colour of the t-shirt, fit etc. Now have to get new prints for the designs, tags, labels, packaging etc.

EXPANDING ABROAD:-

Got some people interested in Hungary, so will need to do a conference call.

Realised that I will have to send a container to Hungary and from there we will have distribute, distributing from london in boxes is not an option as its too expensive.

Also, now looking for recruitment agency in Bulgaria, Hungary and Poland to recruit some sales agent.

Done some research on those markets and we can definitely offer our goods at best possible price to them, so we have market, now we just need some good sales rep to go and sell them.

Any one in here got experience in dealing with recruitment agency?

NEW SALES CHANNELS AND STREAMLINING OFFICE IN UK:-

Just been doing lots of market research and trying to find out as many wholesalers in UK as possible who does similar menswear as us.

First thought about hiring a data researcher and tele sales people, then realised it won't be necessary, as there will be maximum of 100 menswear clothing wholesalers in UK, so I should be able to research the data, call and set appointment to visit.

Our business rate (in london, if you are running a business then you have pay tax to the local council, thats called business rates) for the London office is really high, about £1400 / $2600 per month, yes business rate is massive.. so been looking at if there is any way I can reduce it, found a new scheme that government has introduced and that can reduce about £1000 from the business rates per year, in other words monthly rates will be £1300. Not bad if I can save about £1000/$1800 per year by just writing couple of letters to the council.

Trying to brain storm and think who else we can target to sell our clothing, I know obvious is wholesalers.. independent retailers who sells branded and non branded goods, online retailers.. I know that there are lots of market stalls who sells various branded and non branded item, but trying to come up with a smooth plan on how to reach them. Any ideas?

Also, getting new design for the website and wondering whether I should include a promo video in there or not. @DennisDuty what do you suggest?

Need to do a quick study on credit control, as lots of our moneys are stuck in the market and creditors are not giving the money easily, plus I will need to implement a new way to control the credit too. In last 3 years our UK office lost about $25,000 because of bad debt. We couldn't recover the money, mainly because some of them left the country, some are bankrupt, some are in jail! etc.

Get Threaded

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jun 27, 2014
Australia
Hey,

Here's where you do the UK trademark:- http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm.htm

Apparently, in here you can do the trademark for every country in the world:- http://www.wipo.int/services/en/index.html#protect But this site looks pretty confusing.

Where did you get your US trademark done?

Thanks for the link. I sought advice for the US and then did it myself through http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/
I looked at the worldwide one but it seemed really complicated and most of the countries on it I would never be going to so I am just doing the countries I know we will end up.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Thanks for the link. I sought advice for the US and then did it myself through http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/
I looked at the worldwide one but it seemed really complicated and most of the countries on it I would never be going to so I am just doing the countries I know we will end up.

Seems like if you want to do it individual trademark then its easy.

However when you try to do group (group of countries in one go) then that seems a bit complicated. I need to get the trademark for entire Europe, so there will be some major paper works.

Get Threaded

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jun 27, 2014
Australia
Seems like if you want to do it individual trademark then its easy.

However when you try to do group (group of countries in one go) then that seems a bit complicated. I need to get the trademark for entire Europe, so there will be some major paper works.

I agree in regards to group. Keep me posted on how you go. I will do UK next and then look at Europe. :)

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hey Every one,

I guess its time I update the progress thread. Lot has been going on in last 6-7 months, just taking some breather right now.

Menswear Brand.

We have finally created the logo, registered the pattern and most importantly, designed the jeans and shipped them. They should be in our Philly warehouse by the end of this month. And oh, we got an office and warehouse in Philly, new CEO, office manager, secretary etc. So the US office is in full swing.

Now, I am looking to get more sales agents/rep to come on board and get store groups and stores to stock our items. Does any one here knows where will be the best place to look for sales reps and agents, also what is the best place or ways to get more distributors and store groups.

Also, working on getting celebrity endorsement and getting these pieces out in the magazines to get the brands name spread quicker.

Here are some of our Jeans, as you can see these are very high quality and trendy items. It was really hard work to design them and then get them mass produced, but its all done now, most of them has been shipped, some are still in the finishing stages. Wholesale price starts from around $40 a piece.

msenv4.jpg
\

30uz4sh.jpg

iwrgxj.jpg

Expanding abroad.

Well, there has been success and failure. In Europe we have managed to establish ourselves in Romania, but Hungary was a failure.

In US we have started the business, but still long way to go, I will be back in Philly around the end of this month. So will be concentrating full time in that.

New sales channel.

Well in UK, we have started selling on ebay, it is bringing decent income, but we are looking to get even more and the only way to get will be to get more varieties of products. Since I will be concentrating on US operation full time, so I have handed over the UK operation to my sister now. Its up to her on how she goes ahead with that.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
PS, to the admins, I guess you can move this thread to outside. So more people can read and I can get more inputs and ideas.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%