The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

{PROGRESS + ACCOUNTABILITY} LAURYN'S RECONSTRUCTION: GETTING TO 50 SHADES OF PAID

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
101537785.jpg

I spent most of today reading on how to structure the feminine journey in more detail. This made a few things I could have done much more strongly show up in story structure.

Carmen's plight isn't clear because I skipped like every other stage in my story development. I wrote a story - and it's gripping and emotionally riveting - but there's no arc from which the story flows naturally. Now I can examine the story yet again to see what I can do to strengthen the narrative.

Now I'm onto building her archetype. Carmen is a confused a$$ child... a grown woman-child, but she fits in with and archetype known as the maiden. She's a natural innocent, pretty naive, creative. Deep within she may be more of an Aphrodite/Amazon blend... but she's hidden beneath this Maiden personality - which has nurturing tendencies.

Being a Maiden puts her into a crisis, and the battle for transformation - into a newer, stronger Maiden that co-exists with the other archetypes she fights against being, within.

If you need a rundown of archetypes, the book above is my reference. (No aff links or anything.)

===

This week I finish the modules on my product... and the audios, then release it into the world as a complete project.
Have gotten great reviews - even this week - and I feel it's ready to be released... At the very minimum it will also be published.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
It's been a while, so time to check in:

~ Meager sales month right now. Considering back to school and other things, I'm not really phased or stressed by this.

Succulence
==========
~ Received a 5 star review
~ A little over 10 borrows + sales
~ No major promotion
~ $2.99 seems to be the best leverage point for it

Ricochet
========
~ approved under a new title
~ under Jessica N. Watkins's Femistry Press
~ Got a new cover for the book - it's amazing
~ launches the Trilogy that's coming

Focus
========

~ I've been launching products of my own, put one on Amazon
~ Launching a brand development & design class for Sept 28
~ Been launching WordPress sites for customers
~ Launched an Etsy site - just to see if I could
~ Launched copywriting services on Etsy (& working for a few forum members when I have the time)

I've been looking into expanding my options wherever possible and staying focused on what's most important. I have a feeling I'm about 50 percent through the muck as I move forward. I truly believe the glow is on the other side of the corner. Just gotta focus.

tumblr_me0zi0Kbj51r92ldso1_400.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Yooooo it's been over a month since I've updated, huh?

I've switched things up. I'm currently writing under another pen for the past week. Writing "shorts" in an adult niche that's pretty popular. The velocity is amazing. The more you write, the more you sell, and this series has pretty much outsold my most popular book in Kindle. Granted, right now I'm getting a lot more Kindle Unlimited borrows than sales, and April and May have been very slow months.

But like Held for Ransom and others said, you want solid success? Stick to the proven path in the genres you're interested in, figure out the formulas, apply them and spit them out.

tumblr_nokdrxsjkH1qeuk6oo1_400.gif
Lauren Lashley is still my "public pen name" and written completely from the darkest parts of my dirty little heart. And I still get a lot of positive feedback from the books I write under than brand.

But right now, I've switched gears to experiment with stronger, faster, quicker success using a niche that people like.

Hope ya'll are well! :D

PS - Two goals this summer

1. 4-5 figures monthly with Kindle books
2. Investing in Alpha Home Flipping - and actually F*cking trying it

kanye-rain-money.gif

BONUS Goals: Re-reading Fastlane Millionaire, and then Reading Third Circle Theory (I have it on Audible)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Generally speaking, here's my current "step by step" process for books, as I've done them. This can change as I go... but generally, it's the same with mild modifications.

FICTION BOOK DEVELOPMENT PROCESS (THUS FAR)

1. Pick the Genre - Sexy Fiction (Romance/Erotic/African-American)
2. Craft the plot skeleton - including characters, conflicts, themes, plots
3. Develop the draft
4. Beta readers - providing feedback on the story
5. Editing - Looking for a substantive editor who can review story development
6. Revision
7. Proofing
8. Publishing

Marketing? -- It's started already... more to come.

NON-FICTION BOOK DEVELOPMENT PROCESS (THUS FAR)

1. Brainstorming (What's frustrating me? And women like me?)
2. Research + Development (What's currently out there? What are target customers saying?)
3. Mindmapping (Outlining concepts on paper and seeing where it takes me)
4. Chapter Outlines
5. Writing
6. Editing - outsourced*
7. Revision + Final proof
8. Publishing

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Here's an idea for your non-fiction writing:
You mentioned a few times that you got depressed, but never mentioned how you got out of it.

A lot of young women suffer from depression, maybe this is a topic you could write about for an e-book or something?
You dont have to be all serious on this subject either as there are a million boring books about it, if you could make a really entertaining self help book aimed at young women I think its a cool niche.

Idea is from a girl in work with me that has "problems" she wont admit too much of it but I try to help her in advice but she is stubborn and set in bad ways... Problems include: eating disorder (not bad enough for doctors but not good at all) boy problems (she told the last guy that guys always treat her badly and that they end up not interested after sex... Too Much Information) Debt (always spending too much on clothes, makeup and shit)

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I've reached a point in my current state where it's time to level up.
A lot of things have to go. Roomates. My second job. Bullshit in general.

This is not to say my roomates are an issue. We're not having problems. But I've outgrown the need for a roomate.

Can I "afford" to leave out on my own? F*ck nah, not by conventional methods.

But I need a blade against my throat to put pressure on me to perform. I've grown stagnant and even caught myself having a bitch fit about overtime being taken away and minimized at my day job.

I'm interviewing for a 2nd position that's work from home, challenging and flexible. I can work my way up to a modest salary if I do good - and actually get this position.

I'm looking for my own apartment right now. I want to move ASAP. And I may not have Internet or lights for a minute but my tax return will get me set up.

I'm sorry but this has come after someone I know and love slapped me with some common sense. After 2 graduate degrees (in fields I love), no employment in those fields, I have to use this experience for myself and my fastlane. I have to use it to make money while building my lane and to apply to marketing my products. But getting caught up in 60 hour work weeks and nothing to show after 6 months - but a hunger for more?

Yeah it's time to step it up.

Add to this my "holiday" job cut a shift I had at 5 in the morning without telling me. No apologies or anything when I showed up. When they call me to come in early, I come. When they call me to come in later, I come. When they call me to come in when I'm not scheduled I come. And apparently they can't call me to NOT come in?

F*ck you, you, you, you and YOU.

LOL

I'm sorry but I'm living in other peoples' realities. I realize this. Degrees mean nothing and I'm not entitled to anything simply because OF them, however earning them shows I have aspirations for myself - and now "textbook" knowledge - on how to accomplish these things for myself.

I'm ready to eat oranges and Ramen just to have 4 walls to myself in a decent neighborhood while I get on this lane.

ADD to that this morning someone bought Ricochet, told everyone about it, then commented publicly on how much they loved it and are looking forward to The Playgirl Diaries.

And automatic payments are only approved by Satan and Suze Orman.

GOD I get so F*cking fueled when I'm frustrated and pressured.

Let's bang.

*this vent sponsored by bottled water and fresh squeeze blood orange juice in this ergonomically crappy chair at my "keep a roof over my head cause i'm only just over broke" job*

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Currently I've been sharpening the opening structure of the novel. I plan to have a couple of chapters ready for release and preview by Friday in time for Valentine's Day.

In terms of slowness to push harder into the Fastlane, I've considered whether fear of loneliness or "nothing to do" and "nobody to do it with" is holding me back from going harder. I'm already in a lonelier place, but have been there for a minute. It feels like if I fall back and interact with the BS, I'll have company and people who "get it" because we're all trying to survive in the same boat. But I can't deny that I'm tired of being controlled by someone else's schedule. I know the freedom of my own schedule but not without some financial dependence... now I need to make the best of both worlds collide... and try not to let the fear of what's to come ice me because I don't want to be isolated.

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
They say when it rains it pours.

The roommate and I tried to help out another co-worker. This co-worker basically pulled her pants down and left a hot one all over our kindness and left in a blaze of glory. Everyone is at fault in a way, especially in terms of not being more discerning of who we help and involve ourselves with. Lent said roommate some money that I better get back this Friday or there will be issues.

Got an Adsense payment - yay - to help tide me over until payday.

Looking for my own studio or one bed in Dallas and staying focused because I know I can make it.

Still have some great news to share, but I still don't feel it's the right time to share it. Everything is coming together under the surface, but through it all I will continue to write.

So writing, writing and more writing. And searching for a studio apartment for potentially April 1 or 15... this is my story and my focus right now.

Almost 50 book sales on my main book this month - not Ricochet, so I should start to see royalty payments over $100 again.

My initial goal is to get to $1000 a month in royalties in order to cover my rent and continue funnelling development into my business.

Gosh I can't wait until I see the fruits of my labor in 6 months. I know it's coming. I know I'm ascending.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
In addition to 2k to 10k, I've also just finished reading Writing the Breakout Novel (recommended to me by @ChickenHawk). It's a little old, but I highly recommend it. Lots of the ideas in it I can see in the best-sellers I'm currently studying. It covers things like Plot, Advanced Plotting, Plot layers, Stakes (public and personal), etc, a lot of stuff that can help you kick any writers block when thinking about your work-in-progress like the book suggests.

Keep plugging away.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hey Lauryn, just reading your thread...

I really respect you for your courage in posting your vision, your ambition, and your ups and downs as you make progress toward your goal.

Seeing as you are meeting each twist and turn with optimism and creative strategy, it seems only a matter of time.

I salute your hustle!

Continued success ;)

Gracias! I am here to be accountable and that includes putting all the struggle out there for everyone to see. It will be laughable to hear about overnight riches from this. I just go hard.

Dying.

This cracks me up.

And, it goes to show you that with our connected world, there are SO MANY worlds / cultures that we just don't know about
or, with a little digging around, can tap into.

Still LOLing.

Agreed. I can't wait to worm my way in!

Bwahahahaha, that article was hilarious! I suppose she's changed pen names too by now.

I'm saying. If she's in a new genre altogether this is possible.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
In speaking to my friend about being stuck on my plot, she shared this wisdom:

Try living like your character for awhile. Focus on developing her character instead of focusing on the plot. It's not WHAT we do that is memorable it's the lessons we learn and how far we've come....what do you want for your character? How are the other characters being developed.

Yesterday i watched American Hustle with the girl I mentor (we got free tickets from agency) and the writer is F*cking brilliant....he/she didn't focus too much on the plot as he did on raw emotions & growth in each character- It made the plot almost irrelevant, i cared more about how the characters played into one another and how certain emotional reactions were provoked...never watched anything like it in my life...that's where this perspective is coming from.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Reading a Tip from 2k to 10K I finally figured out how to start the book. I created an outline, an 18 chapter outline, broken into 3 acts, regarding the first book. I had to take my friend's advice and tap into "where I was" during the similar times in my life, and pulled up some good bullet points.

My goal isn't to do anything but cultivate strong emotional responses from anyone reading the story. These strong responses will give readers a hook to keep reading. My paralysis came from my inability to create a realistic transition between where the story ended - in Ricochet - to where it picks up in PGD Vol. 1.

Knowing that tip alone - combined with the truth that evoking emotions is everything - those two are helping me piece together something awesome. It took about an hour to outline.

I spent the rest of my time before that reading up on some of the topics at hand pertaining to the couple and themes throughout the book. Now, I have to go into the abyss and meditate.

With all the craziness going on around me, it's time to stop looking outside and around for solace and sanity and go within. To me.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
UPDATE!

• @COSenior and my publisher have given great feedback about my story. Time apart from the story will let me know how to proceed and strengthen the plot tremendously.
  • Managers at BOTH my jobs have quit. Employees at one job are not pulling their weight, and employees at another job are understaffed. I have been working both jobs to near exhaustion and irritability. I took off the other day just to breathe and somewhat reset myself from the madness. Not tripping too hard, the money is needed right now.
  • Client work has been slowly but surely wrapping up. One client is done, another has not too far to go.
  • I've decided March is somewhat of a platform month. This is a month of preparation. April is the month where I focus on revising Ricochet and really kicking up the draft on The Playgirl Diaries. If I have my way, I will be underground when this happens. I'll be limiting my availability at my jobs, not giving more time than is necessary to get the work done and starting shifts/leaving early whenever possible.
  • Book sales for the non-fiction books haven't been soaring, but the sales have been steady. I am happy because this is still money in my pocket as I develop.
  • Time management will be key in the coming weeks. I'll need to have 3 weeks of hardcore work - writing, both jobs, clients - and one week where I only work one job, do the minimum there, and basically pamper myself outside of that. I'm going hard and it's cool but I can't handle too much more of this. So this week is my last killer week. Next week I'm in relaxation and planning mode for April.
It just feels like February and March have been proverbial kicks in the crotch. I haven't been able to give my writing focus. The good news is I'm actually putting away more money, and slimming down more naturally. Bad news....well, I'm not publishing and I feel so off target. I feel like my book should have been out by now. :(

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I was fired today. From that stressful, psychotic "bread and butter" job I had been working all those hours for.

And you know what?

I'm celebrating. Because I know I didn't do anything that merits being fired. Like I said - office bullying.
I know that I was a good employee and I have supervisors who can vouch for me in regard to these statements.

Additionally, like I said, I've had another job to begin with. I'm not tripping.
And I have clients. And a book to write.

I lie to you not. I have been so weak and tired dealing with the toxicity of that environment that I feel they did me a favor.
My other job pays less and provides less hours, but I'm at the point where I'm okay and willing to do what's necessary to get published.

I told you that job was called SURVIVOR.

beyonc%C3%A9-single-ladies-o.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I received a message that basically told me I was focused on the "wrong empowerment" and what will my "empowerment" do for my "race" as a community.

My message is not about promoting free and casual sex. My brand and my writing is NOT for teenagers. And I am a single woman without children of my own. So before we start judging what I do and how I live, just know that I'm above the "norm" and the stereotypes that come with being a "black woman."

I do a lot of things. I only share relevant bits and pieces of what I do and what my goals are here. Why? Because there's no need to brag on who I am or my contribution. When I die, that's when my impact on peoples' lives will be clear.

However if ANYONE wishes to research brand Lauryn, trust me, the information you need to know isn't hard to find. You could learn:

• How I have helped build and assist several black brands, including direct help with Love My Black, who is re-shaping in a direction of supporting positive black pride and culture
  • How I've consulted with brands and nonprofits with a desire to help children strengthen tech skills
  • my desire to leverage income earned, when the time is right, to invest in technological skills that go beyond gossip-blogging for money. Something that, while cool, is oversaturated in our current community.
  • My podcast - Lauryn Doll - which isn't focused on sex, but on building a better life and never giving up in the face of adversity
It's somewhat belittling to be told my perspective and actions are "selfish" without taking time to understand me. And it's something I'm not keen to entertain. I'm just not for everyone. It just sucks this kind of perspective can lurk here, where I thought we suspended certain things in favor of the pursuit of green made out of a desire to propel ourselves forward and have more capital to do good in the world... in any community we so chose. (And hopefully chose out of love and a desire to help, not an obligation to our race.)

No words can describe how, as angry as I am, how hurt and insulted I feel underneath. Unfortunately, this only proved my mission is further needed, even if not understood or respected. Black, brown or yellow I am a woman, the other half of the gender makeup of the human race. And while I don't deny the community has needs, I don't need anyone questioning my loyalty, interests or motives based off things they think I'm doing instead of asking me.

I'm taking my black a$$ back to sleep. I have to be up in a few hours.

nTAYs6Z.gif

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
You're always gonna have detractors and critics, more and more of them as your work gains attention. You know what you're about and what path you're on - they don't.
What driving force is more powerful than sex? Maybe the divine hahaha, but hey sex with someone you care about is tapping into that force no doubt.

Keep going.
At the end of the day when you strip the skin, soul, sex and labels we place on ourselves and split ourselves by, at the core we are love.
Powerful, and real. Well said.
It does seem that writing comes a little easier after a drink or four. I'm no longer puzzled that so many of the old authors of what we now call "classics" were alcoholics.
I don't know what you're talking about *takes a sip of whiskey*.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I finished Ricochet and I submitted TWO versions - the original and the new version - to the publisher. I'm getting a LOT of love and praise for the original. I like what I did to expand on the newer version too. It's a little more graphic and has a touch more action.

I have another book I want to begin working on immediately. It's a one-off novel or novella. I'm not sure if I will use my name because I'm not sure if the character is urban or mainstream. I will probably write two versions of the story - one for each and publish and see what happens. Two books, two different audiences, same synopsis and delivery.

I picked up a web design client over the past few days. My job does not have my final check ready (don't ask but I'm not the only one who hasn't been paid) and I have to hustle while I figure things out. I have another client to finish ASAP too. Both are premiering at the same event so work needs to be done ASAP. ;)

Ball is rolling. I have what it takes and I'm doing what I can... and so far taking action is 10X more important than sitting around contemplating, or even staring at classifieds.

I'm also overcoming an infection I recently came down with but when that's done I'm going to start running again.

It's all coming together. Apparently life for me HAS to be Fastlane and leveraged immediately.

nicki-minaj-sexy-gif.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
So I started on my second novel. So far I like it. Not because "OMG, I'm a great writer."
Because "OMG, this is a story I would want to read."

I'm doing this to release some energy and tension, to say things I regularly can't in a conversation and to have fun.
The last time I did this, I had good results and I was just letting off steam, so I feel positive about this, even if it doesn't lead to a blockbuster record. ;)

If it's worth anything, after nearly 3 years of being on the market, and one year re-released, one of my books got a 5 star review for it's non-fiction adult niche. It's been time. I don't know how other writers have gotten massive reviews on their books, but I don't really spam or buy mine. I let my books do their thing because I've almost always made a nice $100 and change regardless with trying too hard.

On another note, I think it's smart to let you know my best selling book, to this day, has a 2 star rating on Amazon. I don't really get the 2 star rating, except to say some people really just didn't like what I had to say - but guess what? That's the power of unpopular opinion. Because I've had more people email me to ask questions and praise the information than I've had people who've hated it. And those who hate it? Well, the cold never bothered me anyway. I wasn't tripping to begin with.

Going to run some errands and keep thinking of ways to structure this book I'm working on... Again, it's really some FAP work. The story is done when it's done... I have no limits or parameters except to be uncensored and somehow add enough of a plot around it to make it unbelievable yet realistic all at once, at least when it's not fap-tastic.

No, there are no young housewives and BDSM storylines. And there aren't any sex scenes with gnomes.

So... we'll see what happens. :D

76978-rihanna-clapping-gif-8qgG.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
10,386 words completed.

I took a very long time structuring the first sex scene... which comes a couple of chapters/pages in. This is a deliberate sculpting. I read some people write 2,500 word erotica shorts and sell them. That's not me; that's not happening here.

There's actually a plot involved here. Maybe a slightly cliché plot, but hopefully my spin is quite different from the ordinary. I'm nearly on a roll right now. I'm about 25 or 26 pages in, so I'm hoping I can get to 100 pages within the next few days and create a solid story line upon which to follow.

One of the things that had to be re-worked in Ricochet was lack of action. I needed less flashbank and more this is what happened and here's what's happening now...

That's pretty much fixed here.

If anything I want to figure out a way to write more visceral and sexy. Graphic and experiential as I indulge the senses. We'll see.

Either way... I got 10,386 words completed! Can't tell me nothing, k?

nicki-whatever.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have my final check, finally! I am secure for September. Owner apologized for the troubles caused. I said I am less angry now that I have my money.

giphy.gif

While I am still angry about what's happened, instead of attacking myself and berating myself, I'm celebrating that I was at least a few steps ahead, landed interviews and some business, and didn't let the challenges of the past 30 days paralyze me to the point where all I did was lament and complain. Instead I:

- designed a new logo
- manifested 2 new clients
- wrote and published another book, which is now a series (Succulence)
- updated a manuscript for another series, which should be published soon (Playgirl Diaries)
- went on an interview
- saw my family (even though it was a "sad" affair)
- dug deep and saw how "over" the idea of employment I am
- redesigned my website
- revamped and constructed my freebie
- started video marketing

Woo hoo... I just need to iron out a few things and a tiny celebration. If I didn't have a full-blown meltdown by now, it's not coming. And I think a few people would have lost it by now LOL.

rihanna-half-of-me-ri-wink.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
You can only be so hard on yourself, they say.
Relax and attract it, they say.

"Eff all that.. I got bills to pay," I say.
"I'm more tired of the struggle than I am of exhaustion," I say.

I'm somewhere between mentally fried from re-doing my website and working on two others...
And b*tchslapping myself to produce content for momentum.

I'm about to start the second book for a release (of many sorts).

tumblr_lij5rbaLs21qe9e35o1_500.gif

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
each book in the series will only be released for free for 1 week to build reviews and attraction.
-Rick

Be very careful with this strategy. Reviews on free books are harsh, most often than not they give you one star. I can't tell you why, but that's the hard truth. I made the same mistake, next time I will make 'em pay; at least I get some $$$ for their bad reviews.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Yes! That makes total sense.

Keeping it 100, I find that a legitimate bad review can tell you about your brand and provide opportunities for correction more than anything. I'm someone who can be sensitive, but has since learned to look past and see the logic and truth in the words spoken.

When you're able to accept what is given, you're given an opportunity to improve on a massive level. I've decided when I have the time, my books will get edited with a cute and juicy voiceover. It's simply the name of the game. But I'm still making money. And I'd make more if it weren't for the filter - and if I'd actually market more.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
2,346 words in 90 minutes this morning... Two chapters of Wild Succulence completed. Being frustrated about so many things kind of helps you get the juices flowing when you write. You can channel your emotion in a lot and get lost in the story and let the plot take over itself.

A few more book sales and another nice review. [HASHTAG]#Bang[/HASHTAG]

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Over the past 72 hours, I've sunk into an entrepreneurial depression. I'm burned out. I have no energy or desire to push. So I'm only going to be reading books, writing Wild Succulence, and focused on recovering. I've been pursuing my dream for 5 years, and going non-stop for about 1.5 years without much of a day off.

I'm at "rock bottom" and things are rebuilding but there are some structures that I have to re-develop and manage fiercely to come back stronger. There are even groups and social circles (Facebook "business" groups) that I have to pull back from.

I'm not like, sit in a corner and cry all day depressed. Just OMFG nothing is working and I'm stuck so... IDGAF til further notice.

Okay... maybe I'm not depressed. Just burned out.

GIF-hesitant-hmm-maybe-Nicki-Minaj-skeptical-unsure-GIF.gif

Well 15 copies of Succulence have been sold/borrowed.
I'm at about $150 in Kindle royalties for the month.

I've shut my main site down to focus on "writing" and myself for October.

This means:

- Gary Halbert Challenge
- 40 Day Prosperity Challenge
- Wild Succulence and Playgirl Diaries writing
- Freelance writing and copywriting
- Contract Hunting

I even set up a "portfolio" site that I have to submit content on. But my other business, for brand development and copywriting, oh, I am so burned out on that one right now. I'm not giving up but until I have better lead generation and clearly presented product. I am done. Besides being "desperate" doesn't get anywhere.

Oh... by the way Ain't Really Love (Ricochet) drops this Thursday under Jessica Watkins Presents. Like the cover?
10310618_1533582330189594_7589877024727544787_n.jpg

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
10360403_858112770879703_8501160815561882157_n.jpg

It's Finally Here

I feel good. That's 2 titles. Working on Wild Succulence Now:

By9G2kGCAAA7nL6.jpg

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Why, thank you.

tumblr_ll9egpMq491qbjav8o1_500.gif

I don't care about faking sh*t right now. I have nobody to impress. Nobody. And we all know things are never a cut and dry process. Success comes ... but it's always darkest before the dawn.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.