The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

{PROGRESS + ACCOUNTABILITY} LAURYN'S RECONSTRUCTION: GETTING TO 50 SHADES OF PAID

seamles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 30, 2014
Been getting through alot of these progress threads and yours was definitely an interesting story!

It was unreal to see you go through your lows and then hopefully where you are now as a high!

I wanted to offer my support and help however I can. I know jobs can be tough but it sounds like you like where you're at! I wish you the best and can't wait to see your progress towards your goal of 1k a month and then hopefully onwards and upwards.

I've been starting with the smaller progress threads and am excited and a bit leery to catch up on the big HfR and ChickenHawk threads....!

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Just picked up a new scene in the book. Short but emotionally pungent and to the point.

Since it's been so long since I've felt - or could even relate - to these emotions, I have to go back and refresh my memory by reading the experiences of others. I hope to get to chapter 10 and a major event by the end of next week.

I know this is taking longer than it should... there's a lot of chaos around me right now. And I'm doing what I can to mitigate it (and make money off it) in the process.

Feels good to write something, even if I know it's getting tweaked later.

Cruor Vult

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 18, 2014
Hm, I don't know how to send PMs. Link, please?

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Just caught up. That looks like a great resource. I'll pick it up soon. My stories tend to be plot-driven rather than character-driven, but I can see how having strong, relatable characters would certainly enhance the whole product. I'm terrified to get it now, though, with one edit to go for my latest. I can see getting bogged down in re-write if I get one more piece of crafting advice. I admire you, Lauryn, for working to make your story the best it can be. As for me, I'm going to serve mine up and then use the next one and the next one and the next one to perfect the craft. Every book I write is better than the last. With eight under my belt this year, I'm sure they're at least readable.

Girl thank you. I'm just really someone who at times can be a little too perfectionistic. I really plan to draw this story out, so I want to be thorough. I have other stories in my head though.

And nothing is wrong with a plot driven tale.

Get that ONE edit done and produce. Keep pushing forward because you have been doing excellent and it's a kickass thing to watch you work, mama! :)

tumblr_inline_mso8auuuyb1qz4rgp-gif.45949

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
No writing on Ricochet. Simply writing the last material for the self-study program I've been working on.
Work has been keeping me superbusy. It's overwhelming but it's also a good thing because the job is more and more media-based.
As a result I am spending more time getting comfortable being interviewed and being on camera.
It makes me nervous to be on camera, but oh well, you do what you've got to do, right?

large.gif

I've been reading more books in my genre, and there are so many things about "urban lit" flow that sticks out at me. Some people use several characters from a first person perspective - so do I. Right now, I'm sticking to two.

My big challenges in writing - when I do write - is sticking to the script of the action. The characters literally do their own thing, so I'm hoping to reel that in when I pick the story back up again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cruor Vult

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 18, 2014
I always have this ridiculous fantasy of writing my entire novel in a day. Nope, that never happens.
But I am five chapters and 5500 words in. Not bad for about 3.5-4 hours. I was on a roll early this morning, right?

That's some machine gun writing right there. That story just wants out.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Lauryn is back super focused on writing again.

Welcome back! Happy b Dirty thirty!
Thanks - I have until January to experience that... :D

That's some machine gun writing right there. That story just wants out.

Yes! It does. And it came out of nowhere a couple of weeks before layoff. Now I have time to knock it out!
671.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
The week has been very interesting. It's been a re-calibration of sorts. I don't want to go back to work. I want the money that would come from it, but I also know the money is only pocket change - temporary.

I just purchased a bunch of covers from GoonWrite.com for my project. I only anticipated this being a one-off story, but it's 4 covers. We'll see what I do with this since stories are popular in a series format.

I will figure this out because the story is that cool to me. Showed it to people before the action really, truly started and they love what they see.

Ricochet is closer to my heart but this one is probably going to be a winner too.

We'll see. LOL.

My goal is to get to 7 chapters in the next few hours. Time to Smang it.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-25954-1347139839-3.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Back real quick.

Just to say that:

1. I wish I considered fiction writing earlier.
2. I wish I never stopped writing.

I wrote and published my first book 3 years ago. I should have really leveraged what I did so that I wouldn't have been on square one again. This isn't unfamiliar to me because I've had to hustle to live before, but I should have broken the cycle by writing more and more instead of banking on one book. Or really invested in my marketing.

Writing great sh*t is key for success, but consistently writing great sh*t and having a marketing and promotion strategy is also important. As I sit here on my couch fighting the old monkey mind, I have to remember I am in the midst of creating success right now, because it's something that I am positive I will focus on from this point forward. My body is trying to distract me by saying its not comfortable and to change into all these positions, but you know what's even more uncomfortable?

Getting laid off and having your final check not being given to you... and not knowing when, if ever, you will get it.
Also, waiting to find out whether or not you'll be approved for unemployment in the meantime.

I know we talk about people being lazy and living off the system, but from what I've seen you have to have WORKED in order to collect unemployment, which I have, thank you very much. Considering this is the case, if I am approved, I have to leverage this, with everything else, to make things happen for me.

I've had some interesting job prospects... nothing concrete. But right now, I just want to say if you are working or lurking and want a life lesson, it's build momentum and keep writing and investing in this craft... I really wish I had - even a year ago. I can only wonder how much more secure I'd feel now.

Right now, everything I'm doing is only securing November forward. It's planting season for me.

LOL As a friend once said, keep hoeing til you reap a good harvest.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
My grandmother died, I still haven't been paid my final paycheck and life has a blade to my throat.
But I finished the first part of Succulence. It's over. It's done. It's handed in to Amazon.

FYI I've been trying to force Amazon to make the sampler PERMAFREE but it isn't really working.
So *shrug* I'm over it. Here is the link for the 8,000 word sampler download.

If you have Kindle Unlimited, check it out for free on KU please.
I wrote, 11,950 words today.

I'm tired. I'm out.

brit-awards-2014-performances-all-music.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
709 words of the first two chapters completed. I have to daydream and do some research. I have to build tension and suspense without being too crazy or cheesy. Ugh!

RicTur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 7, 2013
Columbus, OH
@Writer

Be very careful with this strategy. Reviews on free books are harsh, most often than not they give you one star. I can't tell you why, but that's the hard truth. I made the same mistake, next time I will make 'em pay; at least I get some $$$ for their bad reviews.

Perhaps this should be removed from the initial book release, and just offer the free book, and or 2 free chapters to those whom opt into the mailing list for future releases and newsletters. Are you currently using something like this? Do you have a good size mailing list in place, and if so, what process did you take to get you to where you are now? Did it fail? Was it successful? Thanks in advance, as all this info will be helpful to others!

-Rick

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
@Writer

Perhaps this should be removed from the initial book release, and just offer the free book, and or 2 free chapters to those whom opt into the mailing list for future releases and newsletters. Are you currently using something like this? Do you have a good size mailing list in place, and if so, what process did you take to get you to where you are now? Did it fail? Was it successful? Thanks in advance, as all this info will be helpful to others!

-Rick

No, I am still a newbie, only one very short book published, working on the following books. Check the Amazon forums, most people agree with what I am saying...

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Review posted
I saw that - thank you! It's so appreciated!

Quick Bits:

• Post break-up depression. It was slow and gradual but I went from being treated the way I wanted to be treated to almost nonexistent, text-only communication. If I have to TELL you I want to see you and I don't... regardless, I refuse to wait on your a$$. For a month I waited for improvement, saw nothing and had the situation thrown back in my face with denial. He threw a temper tantrum and I wasn't f**king with it, so I left him where he is. He wanted to have the last word...so I let him have it. As they say HIRE SLOW, FIRE QUICK... and honestly, no reaction hurts more than any reaction... so I stopped reacting. It hurt because he'd been there during some really tough times for me - he even got me kitchenware for my apartment. But you have to focus on how things ARE and not how they used to be. So long and Salud!

• I know we're all about focusing now... I'm doing freelance writing and copywriting while I work on Succulence and Playgirl Diaries. I'm also doing some book editing. It's all pocket change. I'm waiting on some seasonal work to come in so I can do what's important to eat while this works out. I see with fiction it is IMPERATIVE to build a backlist as you go.

• I stripped one of my nonfiction books of the language and re-released it. So far it's doing okay. There's always that latency period where you're waiting for the book to pick up traction.

• Truly stumped on Wild Succulence. No idea how to propel the plot and give a real story. I think I'll have to focus moreso on one of the other characters...

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Excuses. Noses in other people's business. Bullshit I don't need to be a part of or privy to. I'm aware I'm only as good as the people I associate with and since I'm seeing this... I'm full of excuses, my nose is in other people's business and I'm involved in too much bullshit I don't need to be a part of or privy to. So... I'll be fixing MYSELF and by association, my ASSOCIATES as well.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I've dedicated this week to a creative break from writing. I was sadly starting to feel creatively tapped out from my writing, because there were events, relationships and angles I wanted to explore in Eternal Succulence that I just couldn't nail together peacefully or properly. Nevertheless it earned a good 5 star review already, and I'm grateful for the support and feedback.

Clients are poking their heads in and becoming interested in working with me. Not for book writing, but copywriting and content generation. I've finally stopped feeling so crazy and perfectionistic about everything and have started expanding my reach to attract clients as I continue building my backlist. I've also joined a romance writing forum to immerse myself further in the community. Make no mistake, I'm not trying to replace my time here - HERE there is hustle and an energy that has propelled me forward. But I am going to feel my way a little more into the writing industry to strengthen my knowledge and craft.

I have never felt such velocity and synchronicity with everything I am doing. I don't know the full outcome of the path, but it's like suddenly the lights have turned on and the next 4-5 steps have been outlined to make things really align with the flow I'm trying to achieve. I'm becoming a monster, a beast, and I love it...

Official-_Watch-The-Throne_-Artwork_-Pics-Videos-Links-News-1.jpg

You are now watching the throne, don't let me get in my zone...

Oh... and my lil boo thang (for now) got the lid off my Ninja Blender. It was stuck for over a year... I'm making smoothies and going semi-vegetarian this month to preserve funds and eat cleaner. Hopefully by the end of this month, I'm in dance class at least twice a week.

giphy.gif

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I love my parents - they're awesome @Digamma ... I just can't tell them about my struggles and challenges. They don't need to know, because I don't need to hear their perspective when it's not even based on a current situation. I'm in transition from one job - completely 100% commission - to another, that's hourly. And I have clients who are signing contracts... but because I'm in a hurdle, I heard about things they wanted to repeat that had nothing to do with my hurdle and everything to do with things that may or may not have been applicable years ago.

Had come-to-Jesus meetings with two of my closest friends - who know them and me - and they had to set me straight. Not everyone deserves to know your struggles.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Popping in to say hey.

In the midst of some deaths in the family, changes in my personal and professional life, and careful study of the self-publishing genre.
All I can say, is you can write whatever you want, but if you don't have the right keywords... GOOD Luck.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Thanks Empire. I fell in love with one cover and had to buy them as a set. They were premade. I love the clean and elegant design. I'll let the content between the pages have all the magic in it.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Finally stopped being lazy and ordered the 3D box set cover for the "Master" collection for the series. I've been writing, but as i write, my inner critic comes out. I know I've grown a lot because now I read my material and think it's F*cking amateurish - and it is. Because I am an amateur at fiction. But people still love what they read and I've been reading and liking books with even more basic writing and sentence structure, soooooo whatever.

tumblr_n7ytxkuEf11ql5yr7o1_r1_500.gif

Boozoon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 4, 2015
Can I suggest the following website for editing? ->
prowritingaid.com/en/Home/Index
It has really helped me pick up mistakes and make my texts much easier to read.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.