The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

People being late.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As I write this I am sitting in my truck 30 minutes early for an important lunch meeting. I find it has become a huge habbit of mine to get there extremely early and do not remember the last time I was late.

Not to say that the person I am meeting with will be late, but 9/10 times I have a meeting the other person is 15-20 minutes late. Is our business culture becoming more like latin america in this regard? Does this happen to any of yall?

It may be because I dont live in the city. I dont know...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am only early.

Never late. For anything.

I have one friend who was perpetually late. So much so that if I want to meet him at 2PM, I would tell him 1PM.

Eventually I gave up.

Being habitually late is a choice that values peoples time as worth less than your own.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
On time!

G

Guest12120

I hate being late. I don't even like arriving just on time. I am always early.
It drives me nuts when people who are running late for a meeting don't even feel compelled to send a quick text to let me know how late they are going to be.:pissed:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Had a great lunch with 2 VPs at a commercial real estate company for my energy management venture. They are going to source new clients to me and help me with existing ones. Could not have spent $50 any better. Seriously. They were on time too which is great for a change.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Had a great lunch with 2 VPs at a commercial real estate company for my energy management venture. They are going to source new clients to me and help me with existing ones. Could not have spent $50 any better. Seriously. They were on time too which is great for a change.

This kind of stuff is great. I went golfing in Cali and spent $60. The amount of business that I earned from the guys that I took with me was 500x that. They just kept sending me leads. I guess you really have to spend money to make money (wisely).

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So who in the fastlane is habitually late? I know you are out there. Punk asses. :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This kind of stuff is great. I went golfing in Cali and spent $60. The amount of business that I earned from the guys that I took with me was 500x that. They just kept sending me leads. I guess you really have to spend money to make money (wisely).

My favorite thing is that, not only did I source clients through them, I basically acquired their entire salesforce. :D

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
My motto: if you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late. I consider it disrespectful of peoples time to be late. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Kak, I remember as a 16 year old kid (whilst running the nightclub) how I used to pay for dinner on EVERY appointment I had. They couldn't imagine a 16 year old picking up a 100$ bill. I can honestly tell you, 2 years later, it still sticks!

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Do you guys take any correctional actions with late people? Or do you just accept it as normal and shrug it off?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Do you guys take any correctional actions with late people? Or do you just accept it as normal and shrug it off?

I am never in a position to do so. I always want something from them LOL. Customers, partners, etc.

If it is one of my sales reps that is making me money I will make a jab about it (ex: I have only been waiting 30 minutes or so, no big deal...), but nothing more. I would bitch out an actual w2 employee and if it happened repeatedly they'd be gone.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I hate being early and I hate being late. I like to be on time. Being late means I'm hurried and flustered, being early means the anxiety grows and grows inside of me.

Typically, I keep my window between 1 minute before and 5 minutes late. This is a habit I'm trying to flip the other way around.

Also, if someone is early to meet me, I get angry. It's like saying, you don't respect my schedule. I'm not flattered, I'm annoyed. If someone is late, then it's like they don't respect my schedule. :p

Either way I'm annoyed. 5-10 minutes before or after. If you can't do that, call me and tell me well in advance.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If they're 10 minutes late without a call/text, I will leave.

If someone respects me, they wouldn't dream of showing up late without letting me know. If they don't respect me, I'm glad I only wasted 10 minutes and not the entire meeting time on them...

I have done this before. Still don't talk to that person.

They called and said they would be 10 mins late.... It was more like 45 mins before I left.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
The way I see it, how someone arrives to a meeting tells me plenty about the person. If they come late, I've already made some assumptions about them, and none of them are good.

Respect a persons time, and come on time, or a few minutes early. If the person I'm meeting comes late, they better have a really solid excuse (none of this "traffic was terrible" bull), or I'll know how much I'll want to be dealing with them (as little as possible), and how much I can trust them (generally next to nothing).

It may sound harsh, but over the years I've learned it's actually a pretty good indicator of how future dealings will go.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If I am going in to Houston I will usually arrive 30 mins to an hour early and go in 10-15 mins early. It is very anal. I know.

Funny thing. When flying I walk up to the gate while it is boarding almost every time. I screw around in the airport a lot though. I guess I value the respect of being on time when other people are counting on me.

G

Guest12120

Funny thing. When flying I walk up to the gate while it is boarding almost every time. I screw around in the airport a lot though. I guess I value the respect of being on time when other people are counting on me.
The same with me

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
BTW I will probably be late for a ton of B&P stuff. I have a large client in Scottsdale... and between that and the amount of booze I am planning on consuming (while smoking cubans)... go ahead and get started without me.

Fair warning.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If I am going in to Houston I will usually arrive 30 mins to an hour early and go in 10-15 mins early. It is very anal. I know.

Airports are DEFINATELY the exception to the rule. I am a last second, dash to the terminal flyer. I don't take pleasure in sitting around the terminal getting sneezed on by a bunch of weirdos.

R

redshep

In school, my golf coach who I respected immensely, got me a job at the course cutting cups at 4 am, and a week into it, I overslept. He called me out big time, talked about integrity, respect, and how my tardiness affected everyone from the maintenance guys to the people who paid to tee off at sunrise. Sometimes it's the little moments like that, that really stay with you. That call on the carpet is still there in my head when I can't get my a$$ out of bed.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In school, my golf coach who I respected immensely, got me a job at the course cutting cups at 4 am, and a week into it, I overslept. He called me out big time, talked about integrity, respect, and how my tardiness affected everyone from the maintenance guys to the people who paid to tee off at sunrise. Sometimes it's the little moments like that, that really stay with you. That call on the carpet is still there in my head when I can't get my a$$ out of bed.

Another ex competitive golfer! Awesome! What's the handicap these days?

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I am always at 15-30 minutes early.

I don't give my time out. Respect is earned, not given. If someone cannot show up at a given time without notice, they don't get a second chance. Life is too short.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
If it's a relative or friend then I'll probably deal with it as the benefits outweigh the inconvenience.

If it's a business relationship then I will ask them to please value my time and be on time in the future. If it continues then that's a bad sign and I will look to get out of that situation.

If it's a first or second date (back when I was in the market) I would allow a couple of minutes only. Any more than that and I would drop them. Being late shows a lack of respect and you are asking for trouble if you marry into that situation.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I worked for a guy that was almost always on time, but when he was going to be late by 10 minutes, he would call and tell them it was going to be 25 minutes before he got there. I asked why he did that, and he said now when I show up 10 minutes late, in the people I am meetings mind I am 15 minutes early. I never saw it not work out that way.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I once had a prospective tennant show up 90 minutes late to see the property because he couldn't pull himself away from American Idol.

And here's the worst part. We STILL rented to him. (Yes, I was a dumb-a$$.) If someone doesn't respect your time when they're trying to make a good impression, you're doomed for a long-term relationship.

I try to be on-time. Not early and not late. If I'm early, I'll hang out in the parking lot or something.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So... any rule of thumb for leaving. I am about to make it 20mins and just leave. (New appointment);)

The person has 5 mins to either text, call or show up.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%