The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Website Criticism

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
I'm walking a fine line here and I understand if my thread gets deleted. I am NOT trying to advertise my product or company, but I learned yesterday that I have a ridiculously high bounce rate (94%). I mentioned in a post yesterday that I had no sales in 41 visits. I was pretty much taken to school about not knowing what I was doing in google adwords (something I appreciate immensely). I received a credit from google for $75 after that post. I decided to try four different ads and just see how many visits I get before I have a sale so I can figure out the conversion percentage. I knew that I could increase that percentage over time with better ads, SEO, and better web designing, but I wanted a base line. Results? 300 unique visitors, 94% bounce rate, 0 conversions. There is a good chance that my ads were totally ineffectual. But I worry that I will work on getting traffic to my site and it will be a waste because I can't convert any of it. Before I start trying everything in my power to increase traffic, I want to make sure that my site will convert as best as my current means will allow.
I am very, very thick skinned (8 years in the infantry will do that to you), so no need to kid glove me. Every word of criticism from you successful guys would cost me thousands from a consultant (who would probably talk out his a$$), so know that whatever advice you give, I appreciate it and will try to apply it. Two contextual pieces when throwing advice my way, I have absolutely no programing ability. I am using Shoppify with the basic theme lay out (not even sure how to get other layouts). Secondly, I have very little money to use right now. I am just a thread on a shoe string :).
If I have overstepped with posting my website, please accept my apology. I know I am risking someone "stealing" my idea, but I couldn't care less. Ideas don't create success, execution does.

Again, any advice will be well received. I have been here long enough to know you guys drop gold left and right without expecting anything in return. I have also seen people get butt hurt when your doing it. Won't happen here. I'm nothing but grateful for the time you guys put into guys like me that have virtually nothing to offer you in return. Anyway, thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
  • Banned

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks Niftyg. I went to the link and added my name to the waitlist. I think it's building anticipation by using a wait list so it'll be fun to see what he has on his video. Thanks for the response!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're assuming that the visitor already knows why they want to buy your product. I had to go to the FAQ page to get what little of the story there is. Tell your story on the home page. Oh wait, I checked out the picture link and went to "What is NogretZ?" that paragraph is what should be on the home page. And, the picture page should be pictures.

You have the meaningful info scattered all over. Put it in my face.

Your site isn't set up to sell, it's set up to take orders.

Sell me on your shit.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
You have a couple of issues to get over here (I think) One is that you have to educate potential customer on what your product is, then you have to persuade them to buy it...a landing page is definitely a must. Your ads can start the education process -- "Want a tattoo that won't last for decades? Click here!" Or you can focus on keywords for henta tattoos (or whatever those other temp tattoos are called)

Interesting product, it will take time and practice to figure out the best keywords to bid on for ads, and how to lay out your page. Pick up a copy of ca$hvertising too, it will help you write good copy.

• Banned

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Jon and Random,
Thanks guys! I think you're both saying that I'm not funneling very well. My site is a shotgun when it needs to be a sniper rifle. I need to have a landing page that educates and then leads to a next step. So maybe I have "What is NogretZ?" as my landing page (putting pictures on another page), at the bottom I have a link that says, "Want to see examples of NogretZ?" that leads to a picture page. Should I lead them to a product page from there or just let them go there on their own? Maybe call them to like my facebook page instead?

• Banned

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Your site isn't set up to sell, it's set up to take orders.
Your ads can start the education process -- "Want a tattoo that won't last for decades? Click here!"

Gold!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Jon and Random,
Thanks guys! I think you're both saying that I'm not funneling very well. My site is a shotgun when it needs to be a sniper rifle. I need to have a landing page that educates and then leads to a next step. So maybe I have "What is NogretZ?" as my landing page (putting pictures on another page), at the bottom I have a link that says, "Want to see examples of NogretZ?" that leads to a picture page. Should I lead them to a product page from there or just let them go there on their own? Maybe call them to like my facebook page instead?
You have no funnel, or at best it's very shallow and people are spilling off the edges. 94% bounce rate, likely very quickly. You know your answer. Deepen it.

profitgrowth

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
May 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Such high bounce rate can point to mismatch between your ads and your site. Since I have no idea what is your ad about, really can't say. But obviously your web site visitors are not getting what they expect, hence leaving fast.
One advice, I would switch to Bing PPC, much cheaper, much more friendly. What is your CPC and CTR?
Also, 41 visits is too small sample that you can make any conclusion. Sending people directly to sales page doesn't help your case either, because those people have no idea who are you.
Here is what I would do. I would create a three landing pages offering e-book about benefits of your product as lead magnet, put those three landing pages on rotator, drive traffic to them, split test hell out of them until I found a winner, then drive all traffic to the winner, then continue to follow with them via email and sell them your products. I would also become affiliate of similar and complementary products and sell them those as well.
Tools? MailCheat(Chimp) is free autoreponder, freerotator.com is free. For landing page creator you will have to find out, I don't know for free one.
Did you try FB advertising? Your niche sounds great for FB

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Last edited by a moderator:

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
I made a couple of changes to the website based on the advice I have received here. If you guys don't mind too much looking again, I'd truly appreciate it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Put in some of this too...

"Can I get a henna tattoo dad?"

That simple question lead to a journey that would culminate in the founding of NogretZ.

My name is Marty and the question came to me from my 16 year old daughter, Brittney. Brittney is creative and personally expressive and frustrated with sticker tattoos. Sticker tattoos don't allow for her to be creative and look nothing like real tattoos. I didn't know what a henna tattoo was, so I told her I would look into it. She promised she would get me some information also.

I soon began gathering information. Henna tattoos were brown, couldn't be premixed and, in the USA, illegal for the use and distribution as body art. This mainly stems from the practice of adding PPD (p-phenylenediamine) to henna to make it black. Even if it was legal, Brittney was looking for something that would look like a real black tattoo.

My search eventually lead me to a plant in South America that had been used by the indigenous people for hundreds of years. They even use it on their small children. I researched further and found that it was totally safe, without any incident of serious side effect ever reported.

What was shocking was that nobody seemed to be selling it. When I got my first tattoo (tribal band) it was cutting edge. A few years latter only douche bags had tribal bands. Luckily tribal bands are now likely to receive an apathetic shrug rather than an eye roll. But not all trendy tattoos lose their stigma, just think of tramp stamps. A product like NogretZ could have saved me from myself many times.

Over the course of three months my wife and I began to formulate a plan. We believe there is a large market of creative, expressive people who love body art, but don't want the permanency of a real tattoo.

NogretZ is the culmination of that plan. It is our vision that NogretZ help others feel free to be creative, expressive and stylish with no regrets.

niftyg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
"What is NogretZ"

Why do I care to read the rest? How does it benefit me.

Maybe change your headline to something like this:

Nogretz: Tattoos That Don't Last Eternity... or whatever floats your boat.

The point is the customer needs to know exactly what you're about within a few seconds of landing on your page.

I would move your menu above your logo, and take care of the margins around your logo so you can see more of the site. I would also make sure to include some nice photos of the product and the product in action.

Just some ideas.

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Profit, thanks for the help. that is my complete campaign right there. The keyword phrases were "Henna tattoo" and "Temporary tattoos". I have A LOT to learn about advertising. I did try a facebook ad, but it was for page likes. I recieved 120 "likes" in 2 days, but haven't been able to convert that into sales.
Jon, should I add it to the landing page (combine "What is NogretZ?" and "Our Story") or lead into "Our Story" from "What is NogretZ?".

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Profit, thanks for the help. that is my complete campaign right there. The keyword phrases were "Henna tattoo" and "Temporary tattoos". I have A LOT to learn about advertising. I did try a facebook ad, but it was for page likes. I recieved 120 "likes" in 2 days, but haven't been able to convert that into sales.
Jon, should I add it to the landing page (combine "What is NogretZ?" and "Our Story") or lead into "Our Story" from "What is NogretZ?".

That's over my head. I just pointed out the obvious. You were just too close to it to see it.

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Niftyg, Thanks man. Working on the logo, margins and menu will take me much longer than changing the title. Like I said, I have no programming ability at all. I have a video of NogretZ in action, I will work on adding a few more pictures of it in action today. I sent out 20 samples to friends and family who will send me pictures when they have applied the product, so I will be adding more example pictures a I go.
Landing page titles

NogretZ: temporary tattoos that don't peel off
NogretZ: tattoos that don't last an eternity (great idea, btw)
NogretZ: tattoos that you won't regret in five years

profitgrowth

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
May 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Dude, it's time for keyword research. You have only two words in your PPC campaign.
FB fan page is not instant sales, it is for building fan base and sales will come

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What page are your ads linked to? Product pages? home page? shop page?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I can see why the high bounce rate, your site is horrible.

Please pay someone to redo it

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
AllenCrawley, home page.
Tafy, I appreciate the advice, but it falls outside of the contextual parameters I set.
"Secondly, I have very little money to use right now. I am just a thread on a shoe string :)"

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Profit, I think I'm going to stay away from adwords for now. I need to fix my bounce rate and conversion rate before I start paying for ads. I'll try other means of driving traffic until I start doing a better job of selling.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
AllenCrawley, home page.
Tafy, I appreciate the advice, but it falls outside of the contextual parameters I set.
"Secondly, I have very little money to use right now. I am just a thread on a shoe string :)"

Ok I was harsh right? but peple on fiverr can really help you out! I mean you must have like $40?

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
Not harsh Tafy. Honest. I appreciate honesty.
It was much worse earlier today, before I started getting advice from this forum.
I absolutely have $40, but I looked around for Shoppify web design and the going the average project rate was $1500. Can't come close to that. Never heard of fiverr. I'll be looking that up now.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You might be better off with getting a landing page made instead of paying shopify, they can look wonderful if you use a nice template

Marty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jan 1, 2013
I'm on fiverr right now. Great resource! Thanks for that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.