The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Name my Poop Shield - win money (at least $100)!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I understand why you did that, but it takes things one step further away from how real customers are going to encounter the product and the name. I'm thinking one of Lori G's rules was that the product name kind of said what it did (Example: Scrub Daddy), if memory serves.

The overwhelming consensus from the forum is that Oopsie Poopsie should have won. I don't think that name would conform to the criteria you suggest (which I personally agree with, BTW. I want to call it a Poop Shield, but no one else seems to think that's good idea. Almost everyone I've talked to said I need to change the name away from Poop Shield).

The top three names so far from running the poll are Oopsie Poopsie, Diaper Nanny, and The H.O.O.D (the one everyone here hated and was shocked I picked).

So - what I'm getting at is that I'm trying to follow a process. Crowd source a list of names from here (I picked a "winner", but I probably won't go with that name given the feedback I got here). Test a number of those names against the demo to at least get a decent list of top 3 names. Then go to stores with 3d renders and my physical prototype and ask them if they would carry my product, and under which of the 3 names (if any).

This isn't an exact science. For the record, I'm not a huge fan of Paint Brush Cover as a name. I don't think we as non-commercial painters need a cover for our paint brushes. Instead, we need something that keeps our paint brushes wet. So if they ran a similar contest as I did, I'd be kinda pissed that they didn't pick a more creative name or at least one that focuses on what I believe is the main benefit, which is keeping the brush wet between stoppages in my low-level painting projects.

But in the end, they succeeded. I think they succeeded partially despite their name - their product IN CONTEXT (packaging, colors, logos, fonts, pitch, website copy, etc) form a more complete picture of their product than their name alone. Thus, the importance of the name, in my opinion, can be attenuated by other factors.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
The survey should be interesting. Maybe you can combine names:

OopsiePoopsie Diaper HOOD*
Tag line *Hands Out of Diaper

etc
I do plan on doing something like this. Not necessarily combining the existing names I have out there, but combining a name with a tagline that includes elements of other names.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
1)I thought that the acronym worked really well -
2)it could be said casually and easily in a sentence "Did you remember to pack the HOOD? Can you get me the HOOD - he had a big one!"
3) It was memorable "I'd really like the HOOD at my baby shower - hope someone gets it!"
4) Had a more gender-neutral appeal.

After some thought, I may have to agree not going with just HOOD. I may have to respectfully disagree for the reasons you listed, here's why.

1) The general public really doesn't care for acronyms. Sure it may sound cool, but it comes off as trying to hard.
2) There are a ton of other choices that can be said casually. You are deciding on a brand name, that is not the same as a description. Pampers is a brand name, diapers is the description. Therefore whichever brand name you choose, people will probably just call it by its description in a casual setting, i.e. "Honey, did you remember to pack the diaper hood?"
3) Again, it is the description that's memorable in your example.
4) I don't think the baby cares, nor do the parents. There a plenty of other names that are gender-neutral

One reason I don't like oopsie woopsie is that it sounds too whimsical. IMO a name should reflect either what it is, does, or who/what its for. Pampers and Huggies (diaper brands) conjures up images of love, close contact, and cuteness. I am no expert in phonetics but the way a word is pronounced and how someone hears it causes certain emotions and visualizations, i.e. The HOOD = The ghetto for people who are associate to the place one way or another by hearing it in movies, songs, or actually lived there.

HOOD by itself, doesn't roll off the tongue eloquently when referring to a baby product, but neither does Oopsie Woopsie.

As a last resort you can always stick Baby in whichever name you choose. Plenty of baby product company does:

Ergobaby
Innobaby
Thinkbaby
EDIT: Angel Baby
Oh Baby

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
The baby hood? Diaper hood? Changing hood?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Another way of coming up with names is mimicking the sound of actions, objects, or babies in this case.

Babies make soothing oOO, ahh, eehh sounds. So soft sounding names can be a good way to associate with a baby.

Brand examples:
(pronounce these slowly)

Babo
Lavanilla
BooBoo
Pura

You can also try to use the description in another language as the name.

Latin for Shield is:

umbo
armum
arma (this gave me the image of a parents loving arms, or Ma as in mother)

Or if you're selling to IKEA call it skärma...J/K

Last edited:

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
brands-with-best-copywriting.jpg

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
How big is this thing going to be? When my son was younger I hated having too many items in the diaper bag. Luckily he didn't try to grab himself while being changed. Have you considered maybe an all in one solution? Diaper pad and this sh*t shield attached to it?

Example:

Lay the pad down. Place kid on pad. Sh*t shield is attached (one piece) on left or right of pad. All the parent has to do is put it over the kid. Match velcro. Change kid. Done.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Drop hood. Go with oopsie poopsie.

It's not a hood.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
In my mind the big winner name that includes "what it does" is @FionaS 's Diaper Guard, which didn't even reach the finals. Combine that with a shark-tank worthy name (OopsiePoopsie) if you will, but please not with PoopShield IMO (which makes me think of an outdoor dog waste scoop).

I think it's awesome that you are trying to apply some science to the name selection. Equally awesome is the fact that you are treating product name as something important. Nice job!

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
The Great Poop Barrier
Brown Guard
Poop Bumper
Baby Changer

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would name and package this like a book...

You have a main title.. (which could be Diaper Defender / Oopsy Poopsy / etc.)
And a subtitle... (which explains the benefit.)

Example:

Oopsy Poopsy
The only diaper guard that keeps your baby's hands out of the Poop!

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Love Diaper Defender and Diaper Defense.

Before Oopsie Poopsie came along, Diaper Defense had MJ's vote... just remember that. :D

Diaper Defense HAS the alliteration, is very descriptive about what it does, and won't potentially get NSFW search terms.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Before Oopsie Poopsie came along, Diaper Defense had MJ's vote... just remember that. :D

Diaper Defense HAS the alliteration, is very descriptive about what it does, and won't potentially get NSFW search terms.

Agree alliteration has merit. So does rhyme.

Very interesting to watch men name a product that may well be used/purchased mostly by women. Wonder who the survey participants were.

LibertyForMe

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Or, maybe more men will buy it. I could see myself buying one when I have kids because it would be the lazy and easy way out. My wife would probably view your product as a cop out, lol.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
You win, Mrs. BRKb, lol

LibertyForMe, there's nothing to win except profits for Throttle. Just thought the stats were interesting. You could represent a new trend as a diaper dad. You articulated the appeal-to-lazy component. Excellent points.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
I was disappointed hula poop never made the stage but what about
Hands Free Baby!
NSFW - No Sh!tty Finger Washing ???

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Thanks everyone for your input. It means a lot to me that you all would take your time to respond to this thread and show an interest in what I'm trying to do.

I wanted to share the final results of my survey. I've also attached some renderings of my latest patent-pending, spring-loaded, portable version (which fits easily in a cargo pocket or diaper bag, but expands to prevent little hands from getting in the diaper region - deploying in less than 10 seconds with 1 hand)

I have some decisions to make for sure.

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG POOP SHIELD - Copy.1327.jpg POOP SHIELD - Copy.1328.jpg POOP SHIELD.1325.jpg POOP SHIELD.1326.jpg

MarchWarrior

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 25, 2014
Spartan Shield (along with campaigns on becoming a spartan dad)
Handie
Smudge-free
No Shizzle

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
I don't get the second screenshot. Did Diaper Nanny win or was it in the last place?

LibertyForMe

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
The first thing you need to do is re-analyze your results.

65% of people said they would have ZERO INTEREST in your product, so you need to exclude them from the results. Maybe those were the people that said they would only pay $4.99, but the 15% of actually interested people would pay $20.

Maybe the people that aren't interested all like Diaper Nanny, but the 20 people who were super interested liked the name in 3rd or 4th place.

I would say it is crucial to reanalyze after removing the non-interested people from your survey.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Agreed @LibertyForMe - I had done that for myself but didn't post it here last night.

Here are the results after filtering out all those who were not interested.

As expected, the price question responses were more reflective of $9.99+. The overall name picture didn't change too drastically in terms of which ones were liked and disliked generally.

Attachments

• survey.jpg
    survey.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 13
  • survey2.jpg
    survey2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics