The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Name my Poop Shield - win money (at least $100)!

D

DeletedUser394

ok, that makes more sense.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I really like Oopsie Poopsie, it's cute.

Best of luck however it turns out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
ok, that makes more sense.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I really like Oopsie Poopsie, it's cute.

Best of luck however it turns out.
oopsie poopsie was my favorite also

tag line no more oppsie poopsies

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
The other reason I'm going to test the top four is because I found that as the responses came in, I mentally had a bias associated with the poster. It was hard not to just accept MJ's suggestion as he's MJ. Thus, the need for independent (non-forum) testing.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I agree that it could be biased by the poster but I don't think that's it. a good idea is a good idea. that one was frickin awesome. just sayin

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Also I think this gets to something that I learned - I've often been surprised at the difference between the opinions of friends/forum members and the general public.

I had another thread about a landing page I was having trouble with. I got some great advice, but when I shifted the landing page based on one of the commenter's very convincing suggestions, it bombed. When I changed to another approach that no one on the forum suggested, it succeeded wildly.

My point is that regardless of the opinion of one person, five people, even 10+, I MUST test things like names, copy, etc. against the market and adjust accordingly. I'd rather be proven to be completely wrong at this stage by testing and polling, rather than being told by end users, investors, etc. "I like the product idea - but I hate the name!" and me thinking "but you don't understand - a guy I really respected came up with that, and 5 other people thought it was good!"

What this post did for me is tap the creativity of many successful, smart people for a very cheap price. The whole goal is to test what I've been given here and see how the market responds.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I can't wait to see what survey says! Lol. The fastlane fued!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Also it seems most women have a handle on diaper changing

My initial poll of female parents revealed that they achieve this "handle" by 1) quickly wiping the poop and hoping the infant doesn't get their hands down there before they are done, 2) placing the kid on the floor and stepping on the kid's hands, 3) kneeling on the kid's chest. My shield prevents all this by allowing the parent to clean the entire area as slowly and methodically as they want, without stepping/kneeling on their kid (or otherwise tying them up/restraining them).

Tony Nguyen

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 21, 2014
HOOD
1. The ghetto.
2. Someone who is from the ghetto.
3. Someone who acts like they are from the ghetto.

From what I'm seeing I highly doubt parents or mothers would want to get a BABY product that's related to the hood by name.
They are parents now, adults not teenagers or kids or are from the "hood".
everything I hear the word hood I just think of the ghetto area's

so if you choose "hood" keep in mind that today's music everyone know's what hood means.

Parent's would most likely go for cute names, or something that just describes what the product does.

Also "HEY HONEY.. WHERE"S THE OOOPSIE POOPSIE?" " THE OOOPSIE IT"S ON THE TABLE".

I still like my name LOL will make parent's be like "the Potty armor? what's the potty armor"

Last edited:

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Wow, so stoked h.O.O.d was selected. To be frank and honest guys I was just typing the names out by what flashes in my mind, I work in the creative field and coming up with ideas quickly is what I do.

The Hood is the only one in the entire thread that doesn't at least give me some indication as to what the product is or does.
Not saying this is good or bad, just interesting that out of the entire thread the one chosen is the most ambiguous.

I totally agree, and that's why I think you can't get any more descriptive than Shit Shield.

Hood
1. The ghetto.
2. Someone who is from the ghetto.
3. Someone who acts like they are from the ghetto.

The ghetto is shitty place wouldn't you agree ? :) That is why I left it as hood instead of placing the article THE in front. I also listed baby hood which IMO is a good choice, or Baby's h.O.O.d, for Baby's hands out of diaper.

I also liked oopsie poopsie.
It sounds cute when a 3 year old says it, and it sounds like an accident more than a product. How about Oopsie h.O.O.d?

Honestly I enjoyed this thread and helping out fellow fastlaners. That's why I asked @throttleforward to hold off on the reward, until I see his product in stores with some version of h.O.O.d on it, then I'll reclaim my prize :) . Who knows, people outside of this forum may come up with great names as well. I think the prize should go to the person selected for the official (trademarked ) name of the product.

Anyways, here's a little poem for y'all

Peter Parker took his little princess to a picnic at the park
Peter did not pack a pair of poo protectors.
Little Patty ate potato paste and pudding,
And a while later Patty pooped passed her pink pants
Peter panicked and pulled her pants off.
Without the poo protector Patty played with her poo
He picked her up and patted her in paper.
Peter and Patty were not pleased and pitter-pattered home.

Moral of the story: Always pack a pair of poo protectors..

Tony Nguyen

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 21, 2014
The ghetto is shitty place wouldn't you agree ? That is why I left it hood instead of placing the article THE in front. I also listed baby hood which IMO is a good choice.

Of course I agree, the ghetto is a shitty place, I experienced everything down there don't want to go back!
okay I can understand from your point of view, let's hope it works out :p

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Haha a shitty place. Lol. That just makes it better!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Absolutely Hate it.

You can't make decisions based on what people will say AFTER they buy it if you can't convince them to buy it FIRST. "Oh honey did you bring the HOOD?" Well honey never bought "the hood" because of the name. Now, you have to convince people to buy a HOOD and implicitly people will ask, WTF's a hood? You have increased and imposed learning in your marketing which is a huge setback.

Also don't like HOOD because hearing it makes me think of 20 different things first ... some already mentioned. (Ghetto, hoods, hoodies, etc.)

I hope you do some market testing with it and let the market decide. I'd bet that your chosen name would rank near the bottom.

Just my opinion.

Wish you well with it, think it could be a real winner.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
I'm not a fan of "The Hood" at all, for the same reasons others have already listed.

Honestly I was shocked when I read that you chose "The Hood".

I can just picture my sister, grandmother, and mother shopping in the baby section and seeing "oopsie poopsie" or "diaper hero" or one of the other cute names and being like "oooo what is this!" and then laughing and possibly purchasing one for my sisters daughter.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Appreciate your input MJ. I'm happy to change the name based on feedback.
Frankly I don't care what it's called as long as it sells-if Oopsie Poopsie is what the people want, that's what I'll call it. (And if this forum is representative of the market, it looks like it will!)

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
At this point, I know I'm using a Louisville slugger on the poor Appaloosa, but when I saw what you chose, I was like, what? Dear god, no. So I guess I'm simply supporting the consensus here. Figured one more opinion might help solidify things for you. *shrugs shoulders*

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Diaper Bonnet!

BTW take your top 5-10 names and make them a headline for a facebook ad that targets your intended audience. See which ad gets the most clicks.

There's your winner!

Should only cost you like $50-$100 for the whole experiment at $1 CPC (which is relatively high for a FB click).

There's like 6M people who fit that bill in the US, too. Can get results in like...an hour?

iaPfMj9.png

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I have a multiquestion survey out in the target demographic. I asked them to rank order 8 name choices. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Until then - I'm a dead horse! Stop beating me! :D
<----- Curious here

How are you surveying them? Through survey monkey and a targetted email list? Or are you doing a focus group or something?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Surveymonkey paid responses right now. I figure that's the fastest, most affordable way to get guaranteed, targeted responses.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Surveymonkey paid responses right now. I figure that's the fastest, most affordable way to get guaranteed, targeted responses.
I have used Survey Monkey before, but I had to drive the traffic to the survey. Survey monkey offers a service where you can pay for responses?

Looks like they charge ~$1 per response. I didn't even know you could do that. Awesome, thanks man.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Slide1.GIF Slide2.GIF Slide3.GIF
Survey is half way complete. Interesting results so far, especially that The H.O.O.D is not nearly as hated by the demo as it was here.

Love the third image - haters gonna hate! :)

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I have a multiquestion survey out in the target demographic. I asked them to rank order 8 name choices. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Until then - I'm a dead horse! Stop beating me! :D

Did you explain the product, and then ask them which name they liked, or...?

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Yes, I wrote a paragraph description at the top of the survey, then wrote the questions so they referenced the paragraph ("having read the paragraph above, what do you think about...")

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Yes, I wrote a paragraph description at the top of the survey, then wrote the questions so they referenced the paragraph ("having read the paragraph above, what do you think about...")

I understand why you did that, but it takes things one step further away from how real customers are going to encounter the product and the name. I'm thinking one of Lori G's rules was that the product name kind of said what it did (Example: Scrub Daddy), if memory serves.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.