The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Name my Poop Shield - win money (at least $100)!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Absolutely Hate it.

You can't make decisions based on what people will say AFTER they buy it if you can't convince them to buy it FIRST. "Oh honey did you bring the HOOD?" Well honey never bought "the hood" because of the name. Now, you have to convince people to buy a HOOD and implicitly people will ask, WTF's a hood? You have increased and imposed learning in your marketing which is a huge setback.

Also don't like HOOD because hearing it makes me think of 20 different things first ... some already mentioned. (Ghetto, hoods, hoodies, etc.)

I hope you do some market testing with it and let the market decide. I'd bet that your chosen name would rank near the bottom.

Just my opinion.

Wish you well with it, think it could be a real winner.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

OMG, go with "Oopsie Poopsie"

I can totally seeing that a big hit with a funny marketing video. Couple that with a video in the same spirit of "The Hand Job" or "Poo Potpourri" or "Dollar Shave Club" and you'll have a hit on your hands. We're talking a success to the likes of my avatar!!

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
I'm not a fan of "The Hood" at all, for the same reasons others have already listed.

Honestly I was shocked when I read that you chose "The Hood".

I can just picture my sister, grandmother, and mother shopping in the baby section and seeing "oopsie poopsie" or "diaper hero" or one of the other cute names and being like "oooo what is this!" and then laughing and possibly purchasing one for my sisters daughter.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Hi - I need a new name for my patent-pending Poop Shield (apparently, having "poop" in the name is a no-no :) ). It's designed to keep infants' hands out of their poop/genital region during diaper changes.

I'll select a winner by midnight EST on Friday (48 hrs). The winner will receive a gift card of their choice worth at least $100. The standard disclaimer applies (MJ, the forum, Viperion, etc. has nothing to do with this).

Good Luck!
infantshield.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bane

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 7, 2012
NSW, Australia
diaper defender/guard/shield
changing table shield/defender/guard
Baby Change Shield/Guard/defender
Diaper Change Keep Out
Diaper Fence/Wall
Baby Fence/Wall

Not serious:
Faeces fender
infant manure defender
Shit shield.
The excrement obstructor
The brown defender

Slogans
Don't be silly, keep your hands away from your willy!
a$$ armour - faecal protection for the first time parent.
No more sticky fingers
Look mum no hands
In the style of mc hammer, "You cant touch this, do do,"

More
The keep-away
The hands-off | The diaper hands-off
nappy nanny

Even More!
Dads hands

Last edited:

bane

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 7, 2012
NSW, Australia
I've thought about Third Hand - because that's what you need without it! Maybe that will be the name of the LLC or something :)

Yeah awesome! That sounds good!

New Names:
Well they sell shampoo for babies as no more tears. So you could sell this one as "no more smears"

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love Diaper Defender and Diaper Defense.

Alliteration, IMO, is the way to go.

Diaper Guard is good too.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Well, if someone was to ignore the obviously superior ShitShowStopper for a name that's more "family friendly" or "non-offensive" my 2nd fave would have to be the Oopsie Poopsie.

I'm just thankful it's a product I'll never have to purchase (but I would totally bring it to one of the endless number of baby showers that I get invited to because ohmygodeveryoneishavingbabies).

Tony Nguyen

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 21, 2014
HOOD
1. The ghetto.
2. Someone who is from the ghetto.
3. Someone who acts like they are from the ghetto.

From what I'm seeing I highly doubt parents or mothers would want to get a BABY product that's related to the hood by name.
They are parents now, adults not teenagers or kids or are from the "hood".
everything I hear the word hood I just think of the ghetto area's

so if you choose "hood" keep in mind that today's music everyone know's what hood means.

Parent's would most likely go for cute names, or something that just describes what the product does.

Also "HEY HONEY.. WHERE"S THE OOOPSIE POOPSIE?" " THE OOOPSIE IT"S ON THE TABLE".

I still like my name LOL will make parent's be like "the Potty armor? what's the potty armor"

Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
At this point, I know I'm using a Louisville slugger on the poor Appaloosa, but when I saw what you chose, I was like, what? Dear god, no. So I guess I'm simply supporting the consensus here. Figured one more opinion might help solidify things for you. *shrugs shoulders*

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Thanks everyone for your input. It means a lot to me that you all would take your time to respond to this thread and show an interest in what I'm trying to do.

I wanted to share the final results of my survey. I've also attached some renderings of my latest patent-pending, spring-loaded, portable version (which fits easily in a cargo pocket or diaper bag, but expands to prevent little hands from getting in the diaper region - deploying in less than 10 seconds with 1 hand)

I have some decisions to make for sure.

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG POOP SHIELD - Copy.1327.jpg POOP SHIELD - Copy.1328.jpg POOP SHIELD.1325.jpg POOP SHIELD.1326.jpg

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
A lot of these are downright hilarious.

Remember, this statement: "Honey, did you remember to pack the _______ _______ in the diaper bag...I think the little one just went #2!" should be able to be said in public, at say a grocery store or perhaps even a restaurant. :D

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Let me lobby for Oopsie Poopsie... (Or Oopsy Poopsy)

Here's why:

1) The name is very baby oriented because adults say this to babys.
2) Has the word "poop" is the name, but is still cute.
3) Definitely brandable, memorable, and most importantly, SHAREABLE. (Will people share on social media? With other more serious names, maybe not.)
4) Unique
5) Falls in line with the product which is by far, freaking unusual and somewhat funny.

If you do choose this name, I recommend grabbing both names above. If neither are available, grab "getOopsyPoopsy.com" or "buyOopsyPoopsy.com" - that's standard infomercial marketing domain 101.

Good luck. This can get exciting as a progress thread!

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Let me lobby for Oopsie Poopsie... (Or Oopsy Poopsy)

Here's why:

1) The name is very baby oriented because adults say this to babys.
2) Has the word "poop" is the name, but is still cute.
3) Definitely brandable, memorable, and most importantly, SHAREABLE. (Will people share on social media? With other more serious names, maybe not.)
4) Unique
5) Falls in line with the product which is by far, freaking unusual and somewhat funny.

If you do choose this name, I recommend grabbing both names above. If neither are available, grab "getOopsyPoopsy.com" or "buyOopsyPoopsy.com" - that's standard infomercial marketing domain 101.

Good luck. This can get exciting as a progress thread!

While I understand your logic, but if I was a dad there is no way in hell will you catch me dead saying, "Honey? Did you bring the oOOpsie Poopsie?

More than likely I'll probably say, "Yeah, I got the Shit Shield."

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but if I was a dad

Doesn't matter what ya call it after it's purchased. Once it's purchased, it's money in the bank. More than likely it would be bought by the ladies, so I would hope the name would appeal to women. Dads can call it whatever they want, and heck, I probably refer to it as a shit shield. "Shit shield" is actually great verbiage to use in the marketing literature.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Also I think this gets to something that I learned - I've often been surprised at the difference between the opinions of friends/forum members and the general public.

I had another thread about a landing page I was having trouble with. I got some great advice, but when I shifted the landing page based on one of the commenter's very convincing suggestions, it bombed. When I changed to another approach that no one on the forum suggested, it succeeded wildly.

My point is that regardless of the opinion of one person, five people, even 10+, I MUST test things like names, copy, etc. against the market and adjust accordingly. I'd rather be proven to be completely wrong at this stage by testing and polling, rather than being told by end users, investors, etc. "I like the product idea - but I hate the name!" and me thinking "but you don't understand - a guy I really respected came up with that, and 5 other people thought it was good!"

What this post did for me is tap the creativity of many successful, smart people for a very cheap price. The whole goal is to test what I've been given here and see how the market responds.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.