The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Denver - self publishing success

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Does anyone have experience selling on kobo? It seems there is a variety in pricing, is there a floor (like amazon's 2.99?) is there anything else to kobo pricing to know? Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
Hello HfR!

May I ask two questions please?
It's regarding the ebook cover, do you follow the last requirement of Amazon
-A minimum of 625 pixels on the shortest side and 1000 pixels on the longest side
-For best quality, your image would be 1563 pixels on the shortest side and 2500 pixels on the longest side.

Or do you choose pictures with lower pixels: some sites propose :
-Small: 800x723px
-Medium 1821x1646px

Do you think that small is really too small. Thank you.

My progression: I'm editing my first ebook (9000 words), will publish it this week.
Already started the second one (1500 words).

2nd:
-Do you write and after edit and correct?
I think that the logic reply is yes. But I want to confirm.
Because this part is taking a lot of times (editing, correction, rewriting sentences...).
The other alternative would be to be slower and to think more before writing.

thank you, your help is really appreciated.

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
5 Tips for Writing a Compelling Book Blurb by Amy Wilkins | Romance University
I usually start a blurb by asking myself what the reader has to know right away that will hook them. For me, that’s usually presenting an interesting protagonist and/or their quest that they will want to know more about. E.g.:

- “When Delia Forrest talks to statues, they talk back.” – Stone Kissed
- “There is nothing Aleron Pitre can’t steal, nobody he can’t con and no situation he can’t slip out of—until he’s sent to the prison planet Tantoret, where every sentence is death.”.... more

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
My 2nd book recently got flagged by amazon as "Adult" and was selling 0. Thanks to CH I've been able to discover this.

Here is how I solved it. My gut reaction was that I was getting flagged for the repeated use of explicit words in the book.

I simply edited those words (going from explicit to more nebulous descriptions) and reuploaded the book with another title. I have a feeling you must get over a

certain number of those words before you trigger the adult rating. My gut says it is 5-10 range, my book had about 15-20.

The book had cleared and is now for sale without the tag.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
My 2nd book recently got flagged by amazon as "Adult" and was selling 0. Thanks to CH I've been able to discover this.

Here is how I solved it. My gut reaction was that I was getting flagged for the repeated use of explicit words in the book.

I simply edited those words (going from explicit to more nebulous descriptions) and reuploaded the book with another title. I have a feeling you must get over a

certain number of those words before you trigger the adult rating. My gut says it is 5-10 range, my book had about 15-20.

The book had cleared and is now for sale without the tag.

Like Google, everything Amazon does is based on algorithms. You figured that out.

But I don't think the algorithm uses an absolute number as a cut off point.
It probably works with a relative number, like a maximum of 10 explicit words for every 10,000 words written.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
HfR, I have a question about your early books vs. the later ones. I'm assuming that the first couple or few weren't as polished, and may not have hit the mark you were aiming for. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is the exact dilemma I'm facing now. I've just spent more hours than I should analyzing the top-sellers in my genre, and my earlier titles are off the mark. They aren't selling well; after five titles I'm losing momentum, not gaining. So what should I do now? Abandon the pen name and start over? Use the same pen name and just start aiming my stories better? Or do the latter and unpublish my early stuff? I still plan to write in the same genre, but I'm concerned that the early stuff will prejudice readers against the new stuff. On the other hand, I hate to abandon the pen name as I've put some effort into social media under it, and marketing efforts through that are where virtually all of my sales have come from. What's your recommendation?

webcomber

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 19, 2013
I saw this post about pricing for ebooks and thought some here could benefit from it.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/23/dont-price-your-ebook-at-1-99/

Interesting info - thank you. Not to mention 2.99 starts the 70% royalties. It is always interesting to see these kinds of stats.

According to HfR's initial post, he started writing books from 8,000 words to 20,000 words from the 2.99 to 4.99 price points (never below that.). Then he would find a formula that worked and go with it.

I published a book, the first fiction, which had 9200 + words, and about 35 pages in Word as an initial feeler. I was very surprised to see it only had 27 pages in Kindle. So now I am thinking, is anyone really going to buy a book for $2.99 that has only 27 pages in it? The book sold 2 copies on day one and that was it for now. I am thinking the #of pages is a very big issue. I can either unpublish it and add pages, or I can move on to another book. The book was written with a series in mind if it sold, and I can move on if it does not, but I don't know if 27 pages is a sticking point that makes buyers move on, especially in an environment where so many free books are offered. I see 99 cents a lot too, some from some pretty good authors.

Does anyone have any feedback for minimum book length at $2.99?

Thanks for the great thread.
WC

redlineryder

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 7, 2009
Toronto
I've just spent more hours than I should analyzing the top-sellers in my genre, and my earlier titles are off the mark. They aren't selling well; after five titles I'm losing momentum, not gaining. So what should I do now? Abandon the pen name and start over? Use the same pen name and just start aiming my stories better? Or do the latter and unpublish my early stuff? I still plan to write in the same genre, but I'm concerned that the early stuff will prejudice readers against the new stuff. On the other hand, I hate to abandon the pen name as I've put some effort into social media under it, and marketing efforts through that are where virtually all of my sales have come from. What's your recommendation?

What did you learn by analyzing the top sellers in your genre? Focus on that and maybe you will start to see some momentum

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 19, 2013
Hi there HfR,

I have read this blueprint to Kindle riches with great interest.

I'll go over it a second time to really take in every thing that will help me succeed in this game.

If I may ask, could I please have access to the research tool you developed as well?

Thanks again for keeping this thread up to date.

Cheers. :)
- MM

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
This thread is great.

One thing I was wondering about is how do you copyright your e-books?

It may be in here somewhere but I don't remember seeing it

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
One thing I was wondering about is how do you copyright your e-books?

Your original writing is protected in principle with or without a copyright. Most of us simply insert a copyright page directly after the title page, claiming our copyright. Here is a link to a site that has several ways to word your copyright claim; I may have even found this link somewhere in this discussion. http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/01/6-copyright-page-disclaimers-and-giving-credit/

As far as I know, few submit formal paperwork. That said, there is very little you can do to prevent pirating of an electronic work. Some employ Digital Rights Management, which makes it more difficult. Others don't bother; opinion varies on whether it matters. Some authors even appreciate or encourage piracy and post their own books on pirate sites.

For a new author, unless you are a genius whose debut work would attract a mainstream publisher and a big advance, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Had no idea that you needed to do this.

You can use keywords to get your book into more categories, and I've done it. Here's some info. from amazon which I found extremely useful: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A200PDGPEIQX41

And examples are -
Sci-fi and Fantasy: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2G3ZMYDPB9VRM
Teen and YA: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2G3ZMYDPB9VRM
Romance: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A19G4ONBAU6NO3

Canary

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 10, 2013
Wow, Held For Ransom, what an amazing thread, thank you!!

I am new here. I read MFL when it very first came out, and didn't get anything off the ground since, but now I am fired up to get going on Kindle.

I have 2 nonfiction books on my hard drive that I wrote some time ago, so I might start there. Interested in fiction too.

Thank you again! Off to read the thread through again properly now.

PS. Might it be possible for me to take a look at your research tool too? :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I want to do an update as I passed my first month.

I've sold 300 books. Out of those my first book is 70% of the sales, my 2nd short story is 20% and another short story 10%.

I write in the popular market, had a great cover, a solid blurb and my intro started fast, this is my best guess on the success of book 1.

When you have book 2 that's when things get more fun, one book helps the other, and you see your own titles on your also bought.

Usually the 30 days end with your book slowing down. To counter this I am releasing another longer work, longest so far and about 35k. I am more nervous about this book doing well than anything.

I haven't used Select. BN nook sales were around 10% last half of the month and 18% this month.

I do not use .99 I use $2.99 because it is 6.5x more money. I also believe $2.99 and under is viewed negatively, I haven't measured this by I will try a .99 title when the next one in the series will be out.

Strategy wise I have misintrepreted HFR's approach and hadn't picked a niche to work THROUGH. Unless you consider Romance a niche.

I have been pirated and put on torrents. I commented on the upload and said please review the book. Someone has.

Book 2 didn't have "look inside" show up for 10 days. It was killing my sales. Books do rebound. I don't know why new readers suddenly discover your book as it goes into the deeper end (80k+ rating) but to go from 100 to 50k you just need 1 sale. To go to 30k you need 2-3. Come backs are possible in this game and feel so good when the book does.

Only things that really matter is sales and return ratio. Only 5% of people don't like my books. I am grateful and amazed by this number.

For publishing on Apple you need a mac. I don't have one so I gave 15% to draft2digital and they do it for me. So far I don't have any sales on kobo or apple as half of the titles are taking forever to process.

I have changed covers on my 2 short stories about 6-7 times. The first covers always could be imporved as far as my experience went. The font work is crucial.

Cover doesn't have to TELL the story. It has to ADVERTISE, to LURE to click on the book.

Put all your other titles in the back of your books with links to them. Get amazon affiliate so you can get extra 4-6%. I haven't yet and I missed out on a decent dinner because of it.

Get a MailCheat(Chimp) mail list, put the link in the back of your book. Email list is the ONLY thing that will definitely improve your sales.

I am going to get a website, and may be a blog, although I don't want to blog much under a pen.

A great book is the best thing for sales. Honestly, i've seen bad covers (same stock images I used actually), with terrible fonts, in the top 50.
if you have a great book you have the bloggers and the word of mouth, two huge things that will propell you forward. If my book sucks I can't give it to 50 people in exchange for a review. If my book is great, I just got 50 reviews with at least 4 rating. I hope one day to have a great book. Until then, market, cover, title, blurb.

mindgames:

I realized new fears develop as you write and learn more about writing. I sometimes wish I didn't read anything about writing at all and just kept writing. Unfortunately there is a lot of good advice out there among all the fear.

I have no choice but to ignore the fears, for they keep me away longer from the 'publish' button. I can not write Lolita right now. I can either sit and cry about it as my book sits there, or I can just finish the damn thing. And finishing it is what I got into this business for in the first place.

"Long term professional writers sit down and write, when they feel bad, when they can’t think of a thing, when the process hurts, when they would rather be out in the sun. This is a job, a great job, but still a job."

I think in this game long term you will need to have a point where you either have a lot of books and still put one out every month, or you get great at writing and put out less, after you have 5-9 under your name. Then you will need to write may be once every 3 months. The point is - are you ready to make this your life? Or are you using this as a vehicle for something else?

Covers, blurbs, writing for the market - things worth repeating said best by a very successful author.

Writing is not hard work.

A huge thank you to HFR and others who helped along the way. HFR, I can't thank you enough man, because all my life I looked at writing and said "I'd love to, but it doesn't pay." and you came in here and whispered that it does. That was all it took.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Usually the 30 days end with your book slowing down.

I've heard this before, it seems to be a common pattern.

Strategy wise I have misintrepreted HFR's approach and hadn't picked a niche to work THROUGH

What do you mean here, by 'work through'?

I have been pirated and put on torrents. I commented on the upload and said please review the book
I love this!!!!
SPEED+

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I have been pirated and put on torrents. I commented on the upload and said please review the book. Someone has.

How do you discover this?

Get a MailCheat(Chimp) mail list, put the link in the back of your book. Email list is the ONLY thing that will definitely improve your sales.

Do you offer something in return for the opt-in? If so, what?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I want to do an update as I passed my first month.

I've sold 300 books. Out of those my first book is 70% of the sales, my 2nd short story is 20% and another short story 10%.

Anything special you did to get the ball rolling? When I publish, it seems my books disappear into the void before anyone can find them.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Hi HfR,
Excellent thread with some great points. I've recently finished a 42,000 novella and was procrastinating over the actual publishing but, having read your thoughts and advice, I've finally got my act in order. Just waiting for a cover to be finished and I'll be publishing next Monday.

Syc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 25, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Hi,

I have a question for people that have written sequels for their books.

What was your conversion rate like?

I have 2 books out at the moment, the first book is 5k words and priced at 99c to attract people.

Then second book is 20k words and priced at $2.99.

First book has had 129 sales this month so far, and the second book has had 38. That's a 29% conversion rate - is anyone seeing anything similar? Better? Worse? I feel like more people should be wanting to continue the series.

I set a target of 100 sales for the second book, if it hit that target i'd write a third book in the series. However, it doesn't look like it's going to hit it.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi,

I have a question for people that have written sequels for their books.

What was your conversion rate like?

I have 2 books out at the moment, the first book is 5k words and priced at 99c to attract people.

Then second book is 20k words and priced at $2.99.

First book has had 129 sales this month so far, and the second book has had 38. That's a 29% conversion rate - is anyone seeing anything similar? Better? Worse? I feel like more people should be wanting to continue the series.

I set a target of 100 sales for the second book, if it hit that target i'd write a third book in the series. However, it doesn't look like it's going to hit it.

Considering that those are better than all my sales combined... I got nothin' ;)

Congrats on your progress. Care to share any of your details? Many of us have progress threads going to track those things.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada

did you grab emails from the buyers of the first book, to send an announcement about the second book?

webcomber

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 19, 2013
Has anyone been making "big" money on Kindle? Has anyone been making "legendary" money. When I read the story of one author's success, she was selling 500 copies a day after she uploaded her first book, I thought wow. When I read the book, well, it is written at about a 7th grade level, which is probably smart marketing, and it was pretty easy to model. My book has sold about 10 copies over the past month, and in my humble opinion it is much better as far as story development (not just going to location a and having sex, going to location b and having sex, etc.) Now I feel like an idiot, and doubts are starting to creep in if this model is even viable. I think the biggest difference was that she hired a photographer to do the cover, which was pretty smart, but I am not sure if Kindle is working as a platform, or maybe I feel a bit drained after working that hard for such meager returns. Anyone experience something similar? Is HfR the only one making really big money in Kindle on this thread? I would love to sit down with that guy for about two hours! There is something missing, and I don't quite know what it is.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.