The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good Posture. Something I ignored for a long time.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
What's up guys. Recently, I've been working to correct my posture into perfect form. I never had bad posture per se, but it wasn't the typical "chest out shoulders back" look I really wanted.

To correct this, all I did was stand in front of a mirror and realign my key components into a straight line, suck in my gut, and puff out my chest. Instant results. I look better, feel taller, and have an almost eerie boom to my confidence. I can even hear a noticeable drop in pitch in my voice.

Here's the kicker. Parts of my body (mainly my core and upper back) are killing me from holding this position all day. I'm on the assumption that if I do some applicable stretches and hold this new found correct posture all day every day for long enough I'll build up the strength needed for it to be natural and painless. Would this be correct, or is there something I'm over looking?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Bad posture is a curse that comes with poring over the computer working all day. What a pain. I'm in the same boat and I feel your pain.

The hardest part is holding the good posture all day, as you mentioned.... IT NEVER ENDS!!!! haha

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Join a gym. Hire a trainer to focus on back and core muscle groups.

In a few weeks you will be amazed. I am 1/2" taller now.

PM Bigguns on the forum. He's great with this stuff.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I came across this gadget today: http://www.lumobodytech.com/

That looks interesting. I wonder if it will hang on during athletics....
Another issue that might arise is it's functionality. It only reminds you of your bad posture, not necessarily how to achieve good posture. They should work in some sort of metric with the connected smartphone app that identifies workouts and other activities that can improve your posture over time. I would probably have pre-ordered for about half the price they're asking but, $70 seems really steep for a glorified odometer.

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
Join a gym. Hire a trainer to focus on back and core muscle groups.
Completely agree with @Get Right.

Some other solutions I've seen:

1.) Get a standing desk or a desk that can be adjusted from sitting height to standing and vary throughout the day. Also, I've seen guys work at standing height with a special made chair that you lean back on. This allows you to maintain an active core instead of turning it to mush when sitting in chair.

2.) The yoga ball desk chair. Same concept in keeping your core activated. I know, I know, you might look like a tool but if you work from home who cares right?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Get yourself a webcam that records you walking around the house. Have it feed to your screen. I have outdoor security cams and watching myself take out the garbage and walking to my car made me straighten up.

As others had said, work on your core.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I added some good core routines to my morning workout and am considering buying a bosu ball for at home. I actually got a compliment from a co-worker yesterday as well. I can't emphasize enough how important this is for anyone neglecting it. It really highlights an often mentioned concept on here of "with a good body comes a good mind".

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
ding ding ding... Product idea... My neck kills me all day everyday whilst at the desk.

I honestly feel like my productivity could be increased if I had no neck pain.

What I've always wanted but cant find, is some sort of chair that will literally carry/lift my head up gently to keep it aligned rather than slouching over the desk.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Having good posture is great for a variety of reasons; not just your physical health.
Check this out if you haven't seen it.
Ahhh, good old TED Talks. Great find man.

If you use a laptop, you can get a stand or just throw some books under it.
Neat looking Lapdesk. I use one by Sofia + Sam (http://sofiaandsam.com/lapdesks/memory-foam-lapdesk-with-light.html). It's incredibly comfy and durable. The light is USB and can be swapped out for a a USB charging cable or any other USB powered charger. Keeps me sitting up straight while laying back on the couch instead of hunched over a desk like a monkey picking bugs off a buddy.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Fix your front squat = posture of Superman.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@ColtonJD91 good for you for recognizing the importance of good posture. People notice those with great posture. I always think "Who's that ?...he must be SOMEBODY important." or "He's definitely the boss." or "He looks like the owner."

Wow... All great recommendations gentlemen !

My personal fav is core training. @GetRight...absolutely, anyone can PM me concerning training.
Stretching is important and you need to keep your abs tight. This doesn't mean you have to have a 6 pack of ripped abs. It just means keep them tight. Many people train their lower back thinking it will help their posture..WRONG. If I had to choose only a few muscle groups for posture I would say abs, chest, shoulders, back.

Of course, training your entire body equally is the best. Every muscle has a 'partner' ..ie: lower back muscles/abs, triceps/biceps, quads/hamstrings, etc.

@MorgothBauglir , I've seen that Ted talk and loved it !

@biophase is absolutely right. Funny but it works. I even check myself when I'm out and can see myself on a monitor.

@ColtonJD91 ... the chics will notice too ! Oh yea. :rockon:

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
My personal fav is core training.
Just a quick update. I have continued to do a morning core work out and check my posture on a daily basis. I feel pretty damn amazing after all this. I recently decided to add a couch to 5k workout to get my stamina up. I've never been a great runner, but while jogging I tried to keep my core tight and my posture correct and WOW! I can breathe better, I can keep my pace longer, and I even got the "runner's high" for the first time tonight after doing 1.5 miles. It kinda freaked me out. I never realized posture could open up the lungs and provide such a relief when doing cardiovascular.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I've been neglecting posture while sitting at the desk 12 hours a day. I went for a massage and the therapist said my back really need to be worked more. Swimming supposedly helps so I signed up. The thing is I just relaxed and leaned back to see how it feels to have a straight back, and I'm surprised that i was about half a head taller. The upper back muscles stiffened and hurt from lack of exercise, and i work out 3 a week as it is. I noticed I can breathe easier, taking deeper fuller breaths. So I'm on board, posture improvement month for me. Going to be standing against the wall, raising my hands from down by my sides, along the wall all the way to the top, 15 reps, 2 sets, every hour for 4 weeks.

Last edited:

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Going to be standing against the wall, raising my hands from down by my sides, along the wall all the way to the top, 15 reps, 2 sets, every hour for 4 weeks.
Good luck man! I like the sound of this exercise; might add it to my morning routine. Do you lift your arms out in front of you in a backstroke like motion (thought I'd toss in a swimming reference for ya) or do they stay in contact with the wall like you're making a snow angle?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
ding ding ding... Product idea... My neck kills me all day everyday whilst at the desk.
This. This is what I will quote next time I see some "I need help finding a product" thread or comment. I would be the FIRST in line to preorder a full-body ergo-chair from someone where I can look at a computer screen and be in a perfect position. (I know variations of this exist already, but there is always room for improvement. Hence why I haven't shelled out $400 for one yet!)

As for me, I have been really working on my posture as well. It's honestly amazing what a perfect posture can do for you in ANY situation! It impresses people and makes me take them more seriously. I see friends who slouch even while standing and it just makes them look weak. You don't want to look weak.

I did buy one of these:
http://www.overstock.com/Health-Bea...on-with-Heat/6980677/product.html?searchidx=3
Totally worth the $30 bucks. Stick that on any chair and you'll remember that your posture counts. Not to mention you now have a heated back rest that massages you all day!! Can't beat it.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Good luck man! I like the sound of this exercise; might add it to my morning routine. Do you lift your arms out in front of you in a backstroke like motion (thought I'd toss in a swimming reference for ya) or do they stay in contact with the wall like you're making a snow angle?
Yeah, snow angel against the wall. palms facing out.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Using a long pads that run along the length of your keyboard to prop up the heels of your palms. This way your forearms, wrists, and hands are in one straight line, which can prevent the nerve from getting squeezed. If your mousing hand bothers you, try a mouse pad with support and cushioning the so that you rest your wrist more comfortably.

I had a massage the other day and the therapist told me that I am close to getting carpal tunnel. She told me the key was the angle of of my wrists while working on the computer. Basically if your wrists are bent upward from the straight line of of your forearms, you will get it eventually.

The ideal is for your wrists to be bent downward, which means using a pad across the front of your keyboard and in front of your mouse.

Her other tip was that your knees need to be below your hips and of course all the posture stuff already mentioned.

But in only a week since trying out her suggestions, it has made a big difference.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
even got the "runner's high" for the first time tonight after doing 1.5 miles.
Excellent ! Your body rewarded you with legal chemicals for doing what it needs ! Keep it up man. Love to read about success !

I would be the FIRST in line to preorder a full-body ergo-chair from someone where I can look at a computer screen and be in a perfect position.
I swear....I was thinking this week...."I can't find a Fu@%*(^ chair that fits perfect for me !". Then .... I thought..."Hey...I've got custom made shoe inserts from molds of my feet....what if...." You think the top 1%...10%...whatever would pay $5,000 for a custom chair molded from their body? I do.

@Jonleehacker You are right on. I have Carpal Tunnel and I will get surgery...but...I bought an ergonomic keyboard and mouse and what a great difference.

You don't want to look weak.
:blackeye:. And, (say in Arnold's voice) You won't get any extracurricular sextivity if you know what I mean.

pwcbb11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 17, 2013
Florida, USA
This thread was a gold mine! Thanks for starting OP. I've been using a herman miller airon for my computer chair. Before the herman miller I suffered from upper back pain (between shoulders) and found myself slumped over when watching security feeds from the house. getting back to basics.
It really helps to take breaks every 1-2 hours and stretch out.
Thanks again. it is extremely important to retain good posture.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Great post posture is so important, back in the UK there are people who teach the Alexander Technique which is all about holding yourself properly. Breathing another thing too sometimes whilst at the computer we hold our breath in too or use shallower breathing!

A friend of mine does massage therapy and Active Release Technique (art) that's supposed to really help with carpel tunnel .... Before having surgery consider it http://www.activerelease.ca/3_CarpelTunnel.html

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
I'm a bit late to the party here, but I can vouch for the Alexander Technique. I am still a work in progress, but my posture has improved dramatically.

One key component is to avoid holding yourself in a position, which will create muscle tension. It is more about thinking about your body lengthening, which will subconsciously put you in a better position.

And pay attention to breathing. Not forcing yourself to breathe a certain way, but just let your lungs fill and empty without effort on your part.

Berserker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 26, 2014
UK
I've been working on posture recently. It does hurt holding a straight posture at first, but it definitely gets easier and better. After a few days, it feels unnatural for me to 'slouch' back into the bad posture ,and I find myself constantly correcting during the day, almost subconsciously now.

I've also started working out again after a few months off - I do a series of compound lifts in my routine - deadlift, squat, bench, barbell row and overhead press. Makes me feel like a million bucks :D

Agree with everyone here that healthy body, core strength and good posture are v. important getting one's mind and attitude right for approaching a fastlane life.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Nice to see this thread active again ! Great info guys.

herman miller airon
I'm going to research this. I've also looked at 'standing desks'. They are gaining in popularity. For me, sitting so long does not feel healthy. BTW...maybe a Fastlane business....office chairs built for your body. I had molds taken of my feet for shoe inserts and thought..hmm...can you do one for a chair ?

Breathing another thing too
Absolutely. I find I have issues with this and need to stay conscious of it.

carpel tunnel
I have this. I've seen my Dr...he's into health and bodybuilding and basically I've accepted the fact that I will have surgery...BUT, I will look at your link..thanks !

core strength
Bro....core strength is SO important ! I've dieted down a bit to tighten up and I've been training abs hard. I feel AMAZING as far as my core strength ! I've noticed things like balance and posture are better. When I lift the 45lb plates from the bottom rack to head height to load a machine....since my core is strong...they're effortless to move.

vkass

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jul 29, 2013
I had really poor posture and constant back pain at my teens.
Heres how I fixed it:

1. Deadlift and squat heavy weights - watch youtube videos to learn proper from and ask someone to check yours.
don't mess around with improper form, it will lead to serious injuries when you reach high weights.
2. Sit down with you back straight and push the crown of your head up, grab the hair on the back of your hair and pull with one hand and push from the front with the other. stop when you feel uncomfortable, DO NO reach a point where its painful. Do this every day for 2-3 minutes.
3. lie on the floor\carpet, it needs to be a hard surface. push with the crown of your head, keep you chin parallel to your feet and lay your head on the floor. You should feel a stretch in muscles surrounding your spine. 5-10 minutes a day, you can multitask and meditate.
4. Find your natural hip position;
. Your lower back and abs should be both relaxed.
5. Shoulders: push them forward, push up, pull back and relax, they should fall in place without you needing to hold them.
6. in my experience usually the pain is mostly in the lower back and it mostly comes from sitting with poor posture.
You dont need to sit completely straight or without back support as long you keep your lower back straight, ie you natural hip position.
7. stretch you chest
, after years of bad posture your chest muscles are probably tight, and upper back muscles loose and weak.

I think Esther Gokale teaches 2 and 5 as well as 4, you might want to check her stuff out.
I followed the above and I have zero back pain and pretty much a perfect posture most of the time.
It took me months even though I did it before I was 20, it takes time and you have to be constantly aware of your posture

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
I found this thread very helpful. I myself have been suffering for neck pains for as long as I can remember. My job involves sitting in front of the computer all day. But I've been disciplining myself to move around often or just simply stand up to help circulate blood flow.

I can't go to the gym and exercise, my work drains the energy out of me. I know it's a poor excuse for not hitting the gym. What's left of my free time I usually spend reading or sleeping. :joyful:

nncbuysmortages

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 19, 2014
I found this thread very helpful. I myself have been suffering for neck pains for as long as I can remember. My job involves sitting in front of the computer all day. But I've been disciplining myself to move around often or just simply stand up to help circulate blood flow.

I can't go to the gym and exercise, my work drains the energy out of me. I know it's a poor excuse for not hitting the gym. What's left of my free time I usually spend reading or sleeping. :joyful:

I love reading in my free time too. If you can't make it to the gym you could look up videos. I'm sure there are all kinds of short online videos with stretches or exercises that will help with neck pain. I've seen exercise apps in the google play store that were for neck pain too. That way you don't have to spend money or leave your house to alleviate neck pain.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.